West Indian (a little East, too.....)

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/07/27 22:43:00 (permalink)

West Indian (a little East, too.....)

Another genre of ethnic food in NYC is West Indian, mostly in Brooklyn. Stuff like jerk chicken (of course), coconut bread,meat patties, sorrel drinks, etc.
But one block from my house is a deli owned by men from Trinidad/Guyana. They have regular deli sandwiches, bagels, salads, etc, but they have a small steam table with their foods: curry fish, curry goat, chicken, potatoes/chick peas in curry with roti bread. Apparently many East Indians migrated to parts of the West Indies, so the food is a mix of each. Makes a very fine lunch or takeout dinner.....interesting because my neighborhood (Chelsea/ Greenwich Village) has very few West Indians. They may make it for workers in the area....so, who has eaten curry goat? (or other West Indian foods?)

5 Replies Related Threads

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: West Indian (a little East, too.....) 2005/07/27 22:59:28 (permalink)
    NYNM:
    Sounds like those places on the Lower East Side that have regular deli, etc., but also steam tables filled with Pakistani foods. The Pakistani cab drivers would flock to these places for good, solid, cheap food that reminded them of their home.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: West Indian (a little East, too.....) 2005/08/01 10:28:33 (permalink)
    There is a very good Trinidadian Indian place in Minneapolis called Harry Singh's. It is very spicy and full of complexity. The service is somewhat Caribbean. Very laid back and at times slow. But very friendly and not at all expensive. I love the bread, roti, that comes with all the curries.

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/harry-singhs-caribbean-restaurant
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: West Indian (a little East, too.....) 2005/08/02 00:39:33 (permalink)
    Yes, that's the word I was thinking about: complex. Even tho the Trinidad food seems (East) Indian, it has a twist in the spices that gives a Caribbean flavor, too. Like almost a "jerk-curry". Also, the staff is so friendly and so proud of their heritage.
    Didn't know there were a lot of West Indians in Minneapolis.....(They must love the winters!)
    meiguoren
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: West Indian (a little East, too.....) 2005/08/02 15:15:55 (permalink)
    I lived in Haiti for a while and definately ate a lot of curried goat, nearly every day. Also curried scrambled eggs, curried noodles, and curried chicken! Darn near curried everything. I don't think there are many east Indians in Haiti, though, nor have I ever seen any Haitian restaurants.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: West Indian (a little East, too.....) 2005/08/11 18:08:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Another genre of ethnic food in NYC is West Indian, mostly in Brooklyn. Stuff like jerk chicken (of course), coconut bread,meat patties, sorrel drinks, etc.
    But one block from my house is a deli owned by men from Trinidad/Guyana. They have regular deli sandwiches, bagels, salads, etc, but they have a small steam table with their foods: curry fish, curry goat, chicken, potatoes/chick peas in curry with roti bread. Apparently many East Indians migrated to parts of the West Indies, so the food is a mix of each. Makes a very fine lunch or takeout dinner.....interesting because my neighborhood (Chelsea/ Greenwich Village) has very few West Indians. They may make it for workers in the area....so, who has eaten curry goat? (or other West Indian foods?)

I know in the NE section of the Bronx we have plenty of Jamaican restaurants. One called Plata's on Eastchester Rd. Their Oxtail stew with rice and peas is the bomb. However I heard they're now under new ownership so I'm not sure if the dishes still hold the same quality taste. Do you ever go to the Golden Crust chain for their Beef/Chicken patties and coco bread?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1