West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures)

Author
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2009/03/25 15:27:32 (permalink)

West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures)

It was a nice day for a drive on Monday, so went went up to West Liberty, OH to have dinner at Liberty Gathering Place, where we've never been before.  (Not for lack of trying, but we always seemed to hit them at odd hours and they weren't open.)  Even on a weekday, West Liberty is pretty quiet with plenty of parking.

The specials menu.  The prime rib dinner sounds awfully tempting.

Unfortunately, it's a bit dark inside and I didn't get a great shot, but this tasted way better than it looks.  It wasn't big enough to require folding in half like the Roadfood review listed, but it was delicious-- very light breading and not as crisp or pounded as flat as other pork tenderloins, so it's a change of pace.  My only complaint was that it seemed a touch on the salty side, but I loved that it was nice and peppery.  Very flavorful.

My sister ordered the burger and fries, which she reported was very good.  The fries were very nice-- skins left on, which is how I like them.    Not pictured is the cole slaw (good) and the macaroni salad, which I thought was nothing special and a little too sweet for my taste.

After dinner, it was across the street and down a bit to the Ice Cream Parlour for dessert.  We've been here a few times before, and always enjoyed it.  The best part is sitting outside in sunny weather, eating your ice cream while people drive by and stare in envy.  ;P  This place always smells fantastic, like fresh waffle cones.

I would've tried to get more pictures of ice cream flavors, but there were other people lined up at the counter and I was trying to be all sneaky.

On the left, husband's Moose Tracks, vanilla ice cream with peanut butter cups and soft slabs of fudge.  On the right, Bear Claws, which is dark chocolate with a caramel swirl and chocolate covered cashews.  Awesome.  I'm definitely getting that again.  But um, maybe not a waffle cone size, for fear of doing myself an injury.  My sister got the butter pecan.

There's not much to West Liberty (one main street with the restaurant, ice cream parlour, general store and a few other small shops), but it's a great little stop along 68 for ice cream.  Business picks up as the weather warms, so you'll generally see a lot of families in the ice cream parlour on summer evenings.  They've put out more benches and chairs along the sidewalk for expanded seating, and there was a sign saying that they now serve chicken sandwiches and apple dumplings, too.

17 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 15:47:20 (permalink)
    Wow-looks great.Can you believe I have never had a pork tenderloin sandwich? Dont know where in Milwaukee( if there is a place) to get one as you and others have described.Maybe I should make it my personal journey to find one...LOL!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 15:49:06 (permalink)
    annpeeples
    Can you believe I have never had a pork tenderloin sandwich?
    That thunk you just heard was Davydd falling off his chair!

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 15:57:06 (permalink)
    Awesome ariane--so was it a little underfried, or does it just look pale from the camera?  I also *totally understand* about the trying to be all sneaky thing.  ;)
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 17:19:46 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Awesome ariane--so was it a little underfried, or does it just look pale from the camera?  I also *totally understand* about the trying to be all sneaky thing.  ;)

Well, I hesitate to call it underfried, but it's not really the same crispy coating that most pork tenderloins have and it was indeed somewhat pale when it came out.  (I think the menu says it's pan-fried rather than deep-fried.) 

One bite assured me that it was still a damn fine sandwich, however.  ;)
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 17:21:17 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Wow-looks great.Can you believe I have never had a pork tenderloin sandwich? Dont know where in Milwaukee( if there is a place) to get one as you and others have described.Maybe I should make it my personal journey to find one...LOL!

I'm not sure how common they are further up north, but here in Ohio you can generally find them in most homestyle restaurants in one form or another.  Very well worth hunting down, IMO!  :)

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/25 18:08:13 (permalink)
    THUNK!!!

The pork tenderloin looks as if it has very little breading if at all. Maybe a light flour and milk marinade. Could that be the case?

annpeeples, You can always get a pork tenderloin at Culver's in Wisconsin. Johnny V's in West Allis has them too.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/26 00:11:31 (permalink)
    Poor Ann.  I know just how you feel.  I've never had one either.

Where do they have them in Colorado, Davydd?

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/26 10:26:32 (permalink)
    I haven't found any in Colorado yet.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/26 11:44:12 (permalink)
    There are 6 Culver's in Colorado.

Brad
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/26 13:35:26 (permalink)
    Davydd

I haven't found any in Colorado yet.

I'll start looking for you.
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/27 02:08:27 (permalink)
    Davydd

THUNK!!!

The pork tenderloin looks as if it has very little breading if at all. Maybe a light flour and milk marinade. Could that be the case?

Yeah, that sounds likely.  It sort of reminded me of fried chicken.  :)

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/03/27 09:51:05 (permalink)
    Think that they're also missing in California.

I've never heard of them until now.

Looks tasty!
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 650
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/10/22 15:25:29 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Another place in Milwaukee to get a BPT sandwich is Honeypie, a recently opened restaurant at 2643 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. I just had the BPT for lunch there; it was pretty tasty, but not what I've come to think of as a "classic" BPT. The waitress says the pork is pounded and breaded in house, but it didn't have the size and irregular textures I've seen with more standard BPTs. The breading on this one was corn meal, and it was a tad overcooked: it didn't have that moist, porky flavor going on. It was tasty, though, and even better with a slice of blueberry pie afterward.

EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/10/22 18:04:57 (permalink)
    That ice cream shot has been staring at me now for at least a good 2 minutes...delicious looking!
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/10/23 14:10:50 (permalink)
    Good lord, that looks like a half gallon in each of those cones!!
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/10/23 17:36:08 (permalink)
    Nice Job! That ice-cream looks incredible! I live in central Ohio and have yet to find a really good pork tenderloin sandwich that's the REAL deal.
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:West Liberty, OH: pork tenderloin and ice cream (with pictures) 2009/10/23 19:01:56 (permalink)
    I'm sorry but can I just get a

on the....

I just cannot stop looking at that. That has got to be one of the best pictures of scoop in a waffle cone ever....hello new wallpaper
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1