West Virginia

Author
Holt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/06/20 11:03:45 (permalink)

West Virginia

Can anyone recommend good places to eat around Charleston, WV (not fancy, just GOOD/any type)??

27 Replies Related Threads

WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/20 12:03:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Holt

Can anyone recommend good places to eat around Charleston, WV (not fancy, just GOOD/any type)??

Careful, the last thread titled as such got deleted.
    Do you REALLY want to know this information?
    Where will you be staying?
    What direction will you be entering/leaving from?
    What do you call "fancy?" Price range?
    What do you like?
    WV(igotthegoods)Hillbilly
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/20 21:37:39 (permalink)
    I saw this title again and said to myself... Self, here we go again! To quote the famous and much beloved Emeril Lagasse.
    Holt
    Junior Burger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/21 14:07:58 (permalink)
    We'll be staying in Charleston for a family reunion (others coming from MO & MI) and we would like something good and reasonable ($6-$12 per person). We'll eat any type of food (and LOTS of it)........
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/21 18:46:29 (permalink)
    quote:

We'll be staying in Charleston for a family reunion (others coming from MO & MI) and we would like something good and reasonable ($6-$12 per person). We'll eat any type of food (and LOTS of it)........

I'd suggest Hardings which is a mile or two north of Charleston on the Mink Shoals exit of I-79. It's great homecooking.
    Of course there is the old standby Southern Kitchen at the lower end of Kanawha City.
    You can also get some nice dishes in that range at "Taste of Asia" across from the Mound in South Charleston.
    You can try the Chinese buffets. . . the best are the Main Tin in South Charleston (next to "Taste of Asia") and the one down in the Kanawha City Mall. There's another out at South Ridge that aint too bad, but it's a chain.
    Of course, there are all the chains out around South Ridge. .. Smokey Bones, Olive Garden, Dead Lobster, numerous steak houses, etc.
    Charleston has some really great independent places, but most are a little more expensive than that.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/21 19:17:35 (permalink)

so far so good....
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/21 19:22:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

so far so good....

The ground's still a little shaky Mayor, but we'll see what happens.

Holt, What part of town will you be staying in?
    Holt
    Junior Burger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/26 14:28:38 (permalink)
    RE:Part of town..........don't know the area at all. How big is Charleston/how far away is Kanawha City? What is the Mound? Where is South Ridge? Sounds like I should get a local map.

THANKS,
    Holt

WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/06/26 14:56:26 (permalink)
    quote:

RE:Part of town..........don't know the area at all. How big is Charleston/how far away is Kanawha City? What is the Mound? Where is South Ridge? Sounds like I should get a local map.

THANKS,
    Holt

Charleston is situated within a river valley. It runs east-west. Kanawha City is on the south side of the river to the east. "the mound" is in So. Charleston which is actually on the south side of the river but farther to the west. SC is an independent city while KC is part of Charleston. Downtown Charleston and the capital area to the east are located on the north side of the river.
    If you get on Rt. 214 and head toward southern WV, on the outskirts of Charleston you will find "South Ridge." It is a newly developed bunch of cheap strip malls with Wal-Mart and all the chain restaurants. Often, it is mayhem traffic wise in the area as the access roads were poorly built. The whole place is a cluster phuque of poorly designed and very ugly strip malls mish mashed together with really bad connector roads.
    blgpts
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/05 15:17:02 (permalink)
    try the 'Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/05 21:28:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blgpts

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's funny.
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/10 14:47:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recommendations WV..I'm heading up there for a couple of days and will give some of them a try.

(any good hotdogs up there? I've been on a dog kick lately for some reason)
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/10 19:20:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Thanks for the recommendations WV..I'm heading up there for a couple of days and will give some of them a try.

Good Hotdogs. . .
    Go to Romeo's Grill across from the mound in South Charleston. Also, they have the best hot bologna IN THE WORLD!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/10 19:57:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:
    Originally posted by blgpts

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's funny.

what's so funny about the Quaker Steak and Lube..?! It IS a real chain, famous for their chicken wings. I ate there in Erie, PA back in Dec.
    RibRater
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 10:21:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Good Hotdogs. . .
    Go to Romeo's Grill across from the mound in South Charleston. Also, they have the best hot bologna IN THE WORLD!

Skipped the dogs...had the hot bologna. Very nice sandwich...fresh veggies, nice thick slice of bologna, and a bbq sauce on a large fresh bun. Could have used some hot sauce but was still good. (edited to add..I also had the onion rings which were good and the wife had a cheeseburger...also good). The special of the day was a hot bologna, fries, and a draft for $4.50.

The visit to Romeo's was worth the trip...great little place. I knew what I wanted to order before I got there but the wife wanted to take a look at the menu. The waitress walks up and asks for our order. I gave her mine but it took my wife a few minutes. You could tell the waitress was getting impatient. My wife ordered and the waitress went to get our drinks. When she came back, my wife asked if she could add some cheese sticks to her order. The waitress barks.."No" ,points at the appetizer sign that says "available after 2", and walks away. Hurt my wifes feelings. I explained to her that she was probably the only person in the last 25 years who didn't know what they were going to order when they hit the front door and she made the waitress wait. I got a kick out of it but the spouse was a little grumpy there-after.

As my wife and I were eating, a guy walks in the door and up to the bar (drinks were upstairs but may have been downstairs some time in the past). Here's the conversation:

Employee: Hi Dan
    Dan: Hey
    Employee: 2 today?
    Dan: Yep

Dan pays and goes to his car. A few minutes later the employee walks out to the car with 2 sandwiches.

Beautiful.

I turned to my wife and smiled..she got it.

Thanks for the tip WV!

RibRater
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 11:28:47 (permalink)
    Also, I went to Tamarack while in WV so the spouse could look at some local crafts. While she shopped, I went and read the newspaper in the cafeteria.

Unfortunately for me I had already had breakfast...they had a very nice and very affordable menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, featuring WV products cooked up by their resident chef.

For example, they had a fresh trout and eggs breakfast with potatoes and choice of bread for $7.00...man that sounds good.

Any feedback on the food there? Is it as good as it looks?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 11:40:01 (permalink)
    I have stayed at the Courtyard across interstate from Tamarack several times. That is always a fun place to visit and eat. I cannot recall specifically what I ate but I do recall it being a very good stop. Great crafts there also.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 12:23:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Employee: Hi Dan
    Dan: Hey
    Employee: 2 today?
    Dan: Yep

Dan pays and goes to his car. A few minutes later the employee walks out to the car with 2 sandwiches.

Beautiful.

I turned to my wife and smiled..she got it.

I didn't......shame on me, I know......can you clue poor sap in? :-)
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 16:08:29 (permalink)
    I.don't.get.it.either.TJ...I've.never.seen.anything.overtly.
    shady.going.on.at.Romeo's.

Larry,.I.went.there.on.the.11th.or.12th....not.sure.
    which.day...Just.wanted.to.make.sure.it.was.still.as.
    good.as.it.was.when.I.worked.in.SC...Had.a.hotbolo
    gna.and.a.hotdog...Both.great.
    Please,.explain.the.sandwich.delivery.thing...What.
    did.the.guy.look.like.that.delivered.it?..
    Oh,.was.the.waitress.a.rough.looking.woman.with.
    short.dark.hair?..Yea,.they.can.be.rough.in.there.
    at.times,.but.they're.always.glad.to.see.me.as.I've.
    been.going.there.for.over.30yrs.

Excuse.the.dots...My.spacebar.broke.....
    Pepsi.syndrome...New.Mac.keyboard.in.the.mail...til.then...............
    RibRater
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 16:14:23 (permalink)
    Nothing shady. The guy didn't need to place an order. The employee just wanted to know how many he wanted.

BTW, if you're going to Charleston...skip the Ramada Plaza. Not a good place to stay.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/14 16:38:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Nothing shady. The guy didn't need to place an order. The employee just wanted to know how many he wanted.

BTW, if you're going to Charleston...skip the Ramada Plaza. Not a good place to stay.

Hey,.you.didn't.ask.about.hotels.
    Actually,.we've.done.some.convention.type.events.there.and.they.have.always.been.
    very.good.to.work.with.and.inexpensive.for.their.
    facilities.and.special.room.rates...
    Never.heard.anyone.complain.about.the.rooms.
    What.happened?
    Of.course.if.you.want.to.see.Charleston.it's.the.wrong.place.to.stay.
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/16 11:25:36 (permalink)
    I would highly recommend Tamarack for the food. The food is prepared by chefs from "The Greenbrier"( a four star resort in eastern West Virginia). Not "fancy" food, just delicious. My husband is still raving about the coconut cream pie.

I would not waste my time on the Southern Kitchen. I ate there earlier in the year and I was extremely disappointed in both the food and the service.

A better choice in Kanawha City is Trevillian's Pharmacy. They have a soda fountain and serve sandwiches,great hot dogs,and hand dipped malts and milkshakes. Trevillian's is located at the foot of the Kanawha City bridge.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/16 11:44:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

I would not waste my time on the Southern Kitchen. I ate there earlier in the year and I was extremely disappointed in both the food and the service.

That's odd, I was there two years ago and the Country Ham and Biscuits with red eye gravy was truly outstanding, probably some of the best, if not the best I've ever had. And the peanut butter pie was absolutely amazing. This place has been around for years, I can't imagine it taking such a quick downturn in a mere two years.
    My experience was that it truly epitimized true genuine regional West Virginia Cuisine in both it's food and atmosphere!
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/16 15:14:41 (permalink)
    quote:

I would highly recommend Tamarack for the food. The food is prepared by chefs from "The Greenbrier"( a four star resort in eastern West Virginia). Not "fancy" food, just delicious. My husband is still raving about the coconut cream pie.

A better choice in Kanawha City is Trevillian's Pharmacy. They have a soda fountain and serve sandwiches,great hot dogs,and hand dipped malts and milkshakes. Trevillian's is located at the foot of the Kanawha City bridge.

I.have.to.disagree.with.you.corabeth...SK,.
    while.not.upscale.cuisine.is.still.the.best.
    country.cookin.restaurant.in.Charleston.
    Travillion's.is.in.a.different.class...It.is.
    the.only.drugstore.soda.fountain.left.around.
    here.and.probably.one.of.the.only.left.in.
    the.country...It's.food.has.gone.downhill.
    a.bit.in.the.last.30yrs...
    I.just.don't.care.for.much.they.serve.anymore.
    except.for.their.white.bean.soup.
    Their.hotdogs.have.gotten.marginal.
    As.for.Tamarack.....WAY.overpriced.and.not.that.
    good...Like.a.lot.of.upscale.food.in.WV.it's.doesn't.
    live.up.to.the.pretensiousness.of.the.establishment...
    Also,.it.sometimes.baffles.me.as.to.what.some.folks.
    around.here.think.is."upscale."
    Seems.like.anyone.can.come.in.talk.a.bunch.of.trash,.
    charge.high.prices.and.get.by.with.it.for.a.while.
    Geez,.we.have.a.faux.French.place.downtown.that.is.
    tacky.in.decor.and.has.
    the.poorest.excuse.for.French.ciusine.I've.ever.seen,.
    but.it.seems.to.be.thriving.

Excuse.the.dots...My.spacebar.broke.....Pepsi.syndrome...
    New.Mac.keyboard.in.the.mail...til.then...............
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/16 15:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I.have.to.disagree.with.you.corabeth...SK,.while.not.upscale.cuisine.is.still.the.best.country.cookin.restaurant.in.Charleston.
    Travillion's.is.in.a.different.class...It.is.the.only.drugstore.soda.fountain.left.around.
    here.and.probably.one.of.the.only.left.in.the.country...It's.food.has.gone.downhill.
    a.bit.in.the.last.30yrs...
    I.just.don't.care.for.much.they.serve.anymore.except.for.their.white.bean.soup.
    Their.hotdogs.have.gotten.marginal.
    As.for.Tamarack.....WAY.overpriced.and.not.that.good...Like.a.lot.of.upscale.food.in.WV.it's.doesn't.live.up.to.the.pretensiousness.of.the.establishment...
    Also,.it.sometimes.baffles.me.as.to.what.some.folks.around.here.think.is."upscale."
    Seems.like.anyone.can.come.in.talk.a.bunch.of.trash,.charge.high.prices.and.get.by.with.it.for.a.while.
    Geez,.we.have.a.faux.French.place.downtown.that.is.tacky.in.decor.and.has.
    the.poorest.excuse.for.French.ciusine.I've.ever.seen,.but.it.seems.to.be.thriving.

Excuse.the.dots...My.spacebar.broke.....Pepsi.syndrome...New.Mac.keyboard.in.the.mail...til.then...............

I've noticed that there are several people on this forum and in general who seem to be ashamed of their traditional local cuisine, like Cora Beth they say that its poor quality and has gone downhill, in other cases they say it doesn't exist anymore and others say it's there but it's just for tourists. I wonder why that is? Maybe this should be a separate new thread?
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/20 14:32:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I've noticed that there are several people on this forum and in general who seem to be ashamed of their traditional local cuisine, like Cora Beth they say that its poor quality and has gone downhill, in other cases they say it doesn't exist anymore and others say it's there but it's just for tourists. I wonder why that is? Maybe this should be a separate new thread?

WJ, Well, perhaps it's not about shame, but about the fact that it may in her eyes, or other places in my eyes, have gone "downhill." Sometimes I get something down at SK that isn't particularly good. . . they might keep it around on the steam table just a little too long, or yesterday's main entre looked too good to toss this morning. Perhaps CB hit it on one of those days. I had fried chicken a couple months ago down there that was tough, dry, stringy and not too warm. A box from Kroger's would have been better.
    And yes, the majority of people in Charleston wouldn't know a five star restaurant from Southern Kitchen, so places that put on an aire of pretense DO get away with serving substandard food to unknowing customers with more money than taste.
    I'm very familiar with people who are somewhat ashamed of their heritage and do things to deny and cover-up their cultural background, but I don't believe any of the comments on this thread warrant that classification.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/20 15:32:16 (permalink)
    WVHillBilly - at least use your carriage return more, as the dots instead of spaces is playing havoc with the page width of threads you contribute to....the web server is interpreting each line of yours as one long word, so the longer you type without a carriage return, the wider the page is getting
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: West Virginia 2006/07/20 18:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

WVHillBilly - at least use your carriage return more, as the dots instead of spaces is playing havoc with the page width of threads you contribute to....the web server is interpreting each line of yours as one long word, so the longer you type without a carriage return, the wider the page is getting

Sorry TJ. I've gone back and edited previous posts. I got my new kybd on Mon. so recent posts shouldn't be a problem. MacConnection.com. . . fast service, good prices.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1