Western New York Ice Cream???

Author
Smiley22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/07/20 14:56:45 (permalink)

Western New York Ice Cream???

I've been in Rochester for several months now and can not find any ice cream/custard places other than Friendly's, Coldstone Creamery and Abbott's. (if you're familiar with Rochester, help me understand the Abbott's hype b/c I don't get it). I'm looking for a good "side of the road" type hamburger stand that has ice cream or a ma' and pa' type place. Also, if you have any recommendations for soft serve custard that would be great! ***Abbott's doesn't have soft serve.

Thanks for any help!!!

6 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2007/07/21 19:17:40 (permalink)
    I haven't been up that way in years, but I do recall some dairy farms around Rochester used to make and sell their own ice cream on site. Of course, I don't even know if there are any dairy farms there anymore...
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2007/07/22 23:06:28 (permalink)
    I could name a bunch in Syracuse. You're too far west for my ice cream knowledge.
    But, NYNM is absolutely correct - you need to find a dairy farmer stand.
    It's not soft serve, but I do like Byrne Dairy ice cream, which is a Syracuse based company - and is often found in some ice cream shops in the area.
    There's a cool cafe in Brockport on the 100 block of Main close to the Erie Canal that had good ice cream -and a cute ice cream shop in Pittsford. I can't recal what they served.
    You can get soft serve in Lockport (I know, that's really far from Rochacha) at a drive-in called Wide Waters - their shakes are also awsomely thick.
    I recall a soft serve place in Honeoye Falls too, when I drove through the finger lakes last year before my Erie Canal Trip. - right in the Village. Hard to miss in that small town.

I'm sure there are some drive-up places in the burbs. If you're really jonesing, I can tell you some of my Syracuse favs.

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2008/01/07 16:33:05 (permalink)
    If you are still looking for ice cream, try Buckman's Dairy up in Greece on 104.

Also, Hegedorn's in Webster, and Hank's Ice Cream & Roast Beef in Webster near xerox.

As far as custard, Abbotts is about it there. Of course, I like Abbotts when I visit there, but not as much as everyone raved about it. I like the chocolate almond custard.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2008/01/10 10:36:01 (permalink)
    I would recommend driving over to Buffalo and going to Anderson's for custard. I don't think they have any locations in Rochester.

Tom Wahl's has custard, too, but they're more known for their food and root beer. I think they have locations in Rochester.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2008/01/24 12:49:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

I would recommend driving over to Buffalo and going to Anderson's for custard. I don't think they have any locations in Rochester.

Tom Wahl's has custard, too, but they're more known for their food and root beer. I think they have locations in Rochester.
    Wahl's used to have a big ice cream parlor in Pittsford; but i haven't tried their custard. Their milkshakes are pretty good with their burgers though :)

one of these days i will have to actually get the custard at Andersons. I always end up with Beef on Weck
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Western New York Ice Cream??? 2008/02/06 15:13:33 (permalink)
    Byrne Dairy makes great ice cream, and don't forget Perry's. While it's turned out in large quantities, it's pretty good stuff. Almost all the ice cream mixes for the small stands will come from one of three suppliers, either UpState Farms, Byrne Dairy or Crowley's. They are all pretty good mixes, then it's up to the stand to do their "magic".
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1