The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Westerville, OH

wyf4lyf

• Total Posts: 9
Westerville, OH Fri, 03/11/05 7:32 PM (permalink)
Hi, I'm coming to the Westerville area for a conference in May and I've never been to that part of the world before...which means I don't want to travel into Columbus proper unless it's absolutely necessasry. Are there any good eats to be found in Westerville?

Thanks in advance,
Nina

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Westerville, OH Fri, 03/11/05 7:40 PM (permalink)
    Nina,
    Thanks for asking that question. We will be coming up to Sunbury and Centerburg, just above Westerville for a Funeral the 20-21 of this Month. I will be reading the responses you get with interest. If we don't find something good we have the Flying J truck Stop on I-71 near our Motel to fall Back on.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
      RE: Westerville, OH Fri, 03/11/05 7:47 PM (permalink)
      Really now, do you think Michael Hoffman will allow that?

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Westerville, OH Sun, 03/13/05 8:24 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wyf4lyf

Hi, I'm coming to the Westerville area for a conference in May and I've never been to that part of the world before...which means I don't want to travel into Columbus proper unless it's absolutely necessasry. Are there any good eats to be found in Westerville?

Thanks in advance,
        Nina

I thought someone would have answered this concern by now. Westerville is a very nice burb on the north side of Columbus. There are many good eating establishments to be found but I cannot name one specifically. Actually, downtown Columbus is not a bad place and if one had the time I'd suggest a quick visit so you can say you've been there.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
          RE: Westerville, OH Sun, 03/13/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
          quote:

Thanks in advance,
          Nina

There are no good eats to be found in Westerville, other than at chains such as Bob Evans, Skyline Chili and the like. Of course, just down the road from Westerville on 3-C highway at Ohio 161 there's a Waffle House. You can, however, go up Westerville Road to Polaris Parkway and head west to just past Interstate-71 where you will find independents and chains galore offering good meals.

You can also go south from Westerville about three miles to Morse Road and an area known as Easton, right next to Interstate-71. This is a combination mall and town center, and there are numerous good restaurants, both chains and non-chains. There is everything from a Smith & Wollensky Steak House to a P.F. Chang's to a terrific seafood place called the Ocean Club. There is Morrocan food, Italian -- you name it. And, if there are kids you can always go to the Red Robin.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
            RE: Westerville, OH Mon, 03/14/05 2:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by carlton pierre

Really now, do you think Michael Hoffman will allow that?

Allow what, the Flying J? It's a great truck stop, and their country-fried steak with eggs and home fries is one very good, very large meal. They also have a buffet, but I don't do buffets. Of course, if you go over to the west side of I-71 on Ohio 36-37 there's a Waffle House, a White Castle and, for those who like them, a Cracker Barrel.

HungryDoug

• Total Posts: 11
              RE: Westerville, OH Tue, 03/15/05 3:24 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Thanks in advance,
              Nina

There are no good eats to be found in Westerville, other than at chains such as Bob Evans, Skyline Chili and the like. Of course, just down the road from Westerville on 3-C highway at Ohio 161 there's a Waffle House. You can, however, go up Westerville Road to Polaris Parkway and head west to just past Interstate-71 where you will find independents and chains galore offering good meals.

You can also go south from Westerville about three miles to Morse Road and an area known as Easton, right next to Interstate-71. This is a combination mall and town center, and there are numerous good restaurants, both chains and non-chains. There is everything from a Smith & Wollensky Steak House to a P.F. Chang's to a terrific seafood place called the Ocean Club. There is Morrocan food, Italian -- you name it. And, if there are kids you can always go to the Red Robin.
              There is a Penn Station sub shop next to the Kinko's along Polaris Pkwy (behind IDG jewelers), it's a chain but their Italian Sub is da bomb. Their french fries are also cut fresh and fried in peanut oil. A little further along Polaris on the north side of the road is another shopping center that has a place called Wholly Joe's, it's a little pricier than roadfood, but good Chicago-style dogs. I've never had their pizza. http://www.whollyjoes.com/ There is also a Smokey Bones BBQ place on the south side of Polaris, near the Target and Best Buy. The Q is good, but not excellent.

Sunbury has a nice little town square with restaurants and antique shops lining the streets.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
                RE: Westerville, OH Tue, 03/15/05 3:48 PM (permalink)
                Here are a few that I can personally attest to but there are also many others in Polaris and points south.

City Barbeque, 6199 N. Cleveland Ave., Westerville. Good BBQ, voted 4 years in a row as Columbus' best. It is good.

Molly Woo's Asian Bistro, 1500 Polaris Pkway., very good Asian cuisine and one of a local chain of very good restaurants.

Stan's, 4333 Westerville Road, a true Roadfood type place, old and very good.

Westerville Grill,59 S. State Street, again, a Roadfood type place, inexpensive.

Milano's Steak House Restaurant, 3105 Westerville Road, long-established restaurant, reasonably priced and good.

Enjoy your visit to our part of Ohio, and happy eating.

Donna

Ash

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Westerville, OH Wed, 03/16/05 10:56 AM (permalink)
                  I haven't been to Westerville in a few years, but there were some good chow back then. Here they are, but check to see if they still exist!
                  Well Temper Quiche in downtown - cute sandwiches and tea, and great rasberry cheesecake
                  Table of Contents- a great orange-pecan chicken salad
                  Nooner's Eclectic - good sandwiches
                  Holme's Coffee
                  Michael's Pizza
                  Also, be sure to visit the Ross C. Purdy Museum of Ceramics with the world's largest crystal ball; the Anti-Saloon League Museum; and finally stroll through Inniswood Metropark Gardens - real peaceful.
                  Have fun

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                    RE: Westerville, OH Wed, 03/16/05 3:47 PM (permalink)
                    A little further along Polaris on the north side of the road is another shopping center that has a place called Wholly Joe's, it's a little pricier than roadfood, but good Chicago-style dogs. I've never had their pizza. http://www.whollyjoes.com/

Wholly Joe's has a pretty good version of a Chicago Dog and an Italian beef but their pizza is not good at all. We waited the required 45 minutes one night for their "authentic" Chicago stuffed crust pizza and what we ended up with was a regular pizza that was really doughy.

I live in Columbus but I confess I do not get to the actual suburb of Westerville that often so I am not an expert on what is there beyond all of the chains that Michael Hoffman mentioned. I do recommend City BBQ. They actually do a great brisket sandwich and I love the corn pudding and the beans. I know Michael's pizza that someone else listed is also rated very highly. Stan's that was in an earlier post is at the corner of Westerville Road and Morse Road. It is truly a great Roadfood find. They are closed on Monday but Tuesdays are good as the special is sometimes Johnny Marzetti. Thusdays they have good cabbage rolls and everyday they have a great cheeseburger. Up towards the Westerville area near Cleveland Ave and 270 is a good greek roadfood type place called Yanni's. They have all of the standard greek dishes plus some really good subs including one made with the gyro meat.

TravelWriter

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: Westerville, OH Thu, 04/7/05 10:48 AM (permalink)
                      Hi there. I just wrote the "Insiders Guide to Columbus" and it is due to be published this fall, but I have included a few entries for stuff in Westerville for you. While Westerville is not a destination dining or entertainment district, there are some interesting eats to be found in the vicinity.

Nazareth Restaurant & Deli $
                      5663 Emporium Square, Cleveland Avenue and Route 161
                      (614) 899-1177
                      It might take some effort to find this out of the way storefront deli, but it’s definitely worth seeking out for authentic Middle Eastern food and genuine hospitality. Don’t let the baseball bat-brandishing proprietor scare you off! He’s a friendly fellow – really – and you will not have to lie when he comes around (bat in hand) asking how the food is. They serve up (above average tasting) traditional fare such as hummus, falafel, tabouli and shawarma for lunch and feature grape leaves and kebabs in several different sizes for dinner. The tables and booths are comfortable and the ambiance is pleasant. It can be quite busy at lunch so call ahead for carry out and be patient with the service.

Pasquale’s Pizza & Pasta House $
                      14 N. State Street
                      (614) 882-6200
                      Westerville’s answer to pizza pie lies just around the corner and in the somewhat evasive side door of this building. Just follow the arrow painted on the window. The popularity of this pizzeria lies in the details. The sweet sauce covered crust is loaded with toppings. The staff is service oriented and well-known for their ability to get special orders right the first time. The restaurant is casual and homey feeling. It’s well suited for a family dinner; well-priced for one too. They offer both delivery and carry-out.

Westerville Grille $
                      59 S. State Street
                      (614) 794-1900
                      Yet another popular greasy spoon open for early breakfasts and catering to an ever-growing list of regulars. Sit in a cozy booth or belly up to the counter for their popular breakfast burrito or fill up on the $5 blue-plate specials at lunch. The ‘ville Grille serves a variety of home-style dinners such as Yankee pot roast and lumpless mashed potatoes, but the big seller is their fish-n-chips.
                      Udipi Café $
                      2001 E. Dublin-Granville Road
                      (614) 885-7446
                      This strictly vegetarian restaurant is generally packed full of Indians, which is a telling sign of the southern Indian fare being served. The well-worn carpeting and plain leather booths gives the restaurant a ‘lived-in’ look, but the staggering number of dosa options will quickly divert your attention away from the simple décor. The dosa, a thin crepe filled with potatoes and onions, is Udipi’s specialty. One will also find above average dal and curries on the menu. Although milk and butter are used in many dishes, no meat, fish or eggs are to be found here. The reasonably priced lunch buffet is a good time to sample a variety of soups, curries and vegetable offerings.

Carsonie’s Restaurant $
                      6000 Westerville Road
                      (614) 899-6700
                      Bocce anyone? Carsonie’s is about as well-known for their Bocce court as for their strombolis. Once you satiate your hunger with huge portions of pasta or the unusual Italian fries, you can satiate your competitiveness with a game of bocce on the fenced in patio. This very family friendly restaurant even has a sandbox on the patio for the kids.

Wendell’s Pub
                      925 N. State Street
                      (614) 818-0400
                      Tucked in the back of a small strip mall, this unpublicized bistro-pub can be a little evasive, but it’s worth searching out when you are on this side of town. They serve up really good fish-n-chips in a rather smoky atmosphere. The bar is quite large and they have a nice selection of draught beers and wines by the glass. You might not escape the smoke in the dining room but definitely on the outdoor patio, which is quite pleasant in the summertime, despite overlooking a parking lot.

Nathan G

• Total Posts: 9
                        RE: Westerville, OH Sat, 04/2/11 12:19 PM (permalink)
                        Since this thread was last updated, Nazareth (which does have terrific shawarma) has moved across the street.  It's now in a free-standing building on the south side of 161 just east of Cleveland Ave, in what used to be a Chili's.

They've also acquired a liquor license and serve beer as well.  Word to the wise though: avoid the fried pickles.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com