Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
albinoni
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/28 12:15:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

<<Perhaps Bowcraft is Scotch Plains' only revenue?>>

Not quite. I live in Scotch Plains and I can tell you they also make a hell of a lot of $$ with thier exhorbitant property taxes. But that's all they get from me. I've lived here for 9 years and other than an occasional meal at a very good Chinese Restaurant called Hung's, I've yet to actually buy anything from any store or restaurant "downtown".

I happened to drive by Bowcraft today and with all this chatter going on, I figured I'd pull in and look around thru the fence (it was 7AM, nobody made me pay). How they can charge those prices for what they have to offer is beyond me. ---Ken

Ken-

There is a ravioli store on Second Street, but I've never been there. And (shameless plug here), the Bike Stand, also on Second Street, is owned by Steve Willis, a great guy who lives in SP--I've been shopping and hanging out there ever since I moved into the area almost 10 years ago.
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/28 13:08:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Isn't Robert Treat the name of some famous New Jersey historical figure (or is it Robert Trent?). I think there is a hotel named after him in Newark?

IIRC, Robert Treat was the leader of the group of Puritans who broke off from the Massachusetts settlement in the mid 1600s and headed south for greener pastures in what is now Newark, NJ. (Yes, apparently that area contained green pastures at one time!) Hence, Robert Treat is usually considered to be the "founder" of Newark, NJ. And, yes, there is (or at least, was) a hotel named after him in the downtown area of Newark.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1