Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bri529
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/07/20 21:27:34 (permalink)

Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen

My girlfriend and I happened upon a fantastic old-fashioned deli on the main drag of Westfield, New Jersey. The Robert Treat Delicatessen roasts its own turkey and roast beef among other cold cuts, and makes incredible meatballs in a mildly spicy red gravy. The roast beef is rare, moist and buttery-tender. The meatballs are cheesy and surprisingly light. Jack, the friendly owner, gave us one to share for free as we waited for our sandwiches because he saw us eyeing them. They were so good, we bought a tub full for about $12 which we paired with our own pasta at home for three meals' worth of delicious eating. Unfortunately, we did not have anything but a camera phone with us, so despite our desire to post a new restaurant, we are all talk at this time. But we know we aren't alone among the Robert Treat's fans: its walls bear testimony to this fact in letters and photos from its patrons, including one photo and note from a soldier who sent an American flag that had been flown over Iraq to thank the deli for all the good meals he had had there. Perhaps another reader will check it out and post some photos?

31 Replies Related Threads

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/20 22:03:06 (permalink)
    hi, and welcome to Roadfood...

yes, one of us (maybe even ME!) will go up there to Westfield to get those pics. (special mission!!!)

I love places with homemade roast beef and turkey.
    If they use Dietz and Watson or Boars Head , I don't even bother..
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1596
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/20 22:32:53 (permalink)
    <<I love places with homemade roast beef and turkey.
    If they use Dietz and Watson or Boars Head , I don't even bother..>>

...and if it's the first post by someone new, and all it offers is way over-the-top praise for one single place, my radar is up for self-promotion. So I don't even bother, and I'm only a few miles from Westfield. --Ken
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/21 00:09:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

...and if it's the first post by someone new, and all it offers is way over-the-top praise for one single place, my radar is up for self-promotion. So I don't even bother, and I'm only a few miles from Westfield. --Ken

I hear you, Ken... if we don't hear from our new roadfood buddy ever again, we'll have to assume he owns the place.

Hey, how is that Bowcraft amusement park doing? And more important, the Jimmy Buff hot dog stand next to it? Growing up, our family ate at that East Winds Chinese Restaurant every few weeks or so. It was "elegant" at that time. Now I see it's turned into a Lone Star Steak House.

I grew up in Union, then in 10th grade we moved next door to Springfield. I see that we were practically "route 22" neighbors.

Bowcraft was never that great to begin with. (did it ever get any better?) But it was somewhere to go when we could'nt get down the shore.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/21 16:48:56 (permalink)
    Isn't Robert Treat the name of some famous New Jersey historical figure (or is it Robert Trent?). I think there is a hotel named after him in Newark?
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 08:59:27 (permalink)
    I live in Scotch Plains just off of S. Martine. Close to Westfield and Clark. We usually go to Jersey Mike's Subs. Is Robert Treats on the Broad Street as well?

As for the Lonestar Steakhouse ......it's been closed for quite some time now. My biggest disappointment was and still is......the Steak & Ale in Mountainside on 22 turning into a Famous Dave's BBQ. I know the food isnt that great at S&A but the atmosphere was always pleasant and quiet and we had many family dinners there. Most of the chain restaurants are based on some kind of a happy hour format with a loud party type of atmosphere. Anyway, We have only been going to private owned restaurants lately. I like supporting local family based businesses and gave up on frozen dinners served on a dinner dish.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 09:05:54 (permalink)
    Ok, It looks like Robert Treat Deli has a website : http://www.roberttreatdeli.com/index.html

I'll put it on my list of local eateries.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 09:12:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Ken, It looks like they are using the Pseudo Boars Head Cold Cuts. http://www.roberttreatdeli.com/deli/

Now i'm kind of skeptical about going there for a sandwich

What would be the difference in me going to A&P supermarket and picking up Boars head Cold Cuts with a few rolls from the bakery department?

HMMMMMMMMM
    selandirv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 12:25:44 (permalink)
    Regarding the Robert Treat Deli it should be noted that it is more like an Italian Deli than the usual North Jersey deli which MUST include Corned Beef and Pastrami among its choices. Sour pickles are also de regeur as is "deli" mustard. We are formerly from Union County and I believe that now the all encompassing delis are in Essex County or Bergen County. We have been in central North Carolina for several years and would now die for any kind of deli.
    ken8038
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 13:05:18 (permalink)
    Ellen, as Jerzeydawg has already posted, Lone star closed about a year ago, right now the building is still for sale, it will no doubt become some other chain restaurant.

I haven't actually been to Bowcraft since the late 80's/early 90's when my kids were little. It was always good for what it was, a nice local place to go to one or two nights during the summer to get the kids out of the house. I seem to recall there was a change of ownership a few years ago, and it looks like they've added several new rides and modernized the place a bit. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not sure.

As for Jimmy Buffs, I have a pretty high tolerance for greasy food, but the Scotch Plains Jimmy Buffs is way too greasy for my taste, the 2 times I ate there (spread over about 5 years) the effects of the food lingered for a couple days. Others seem to share my opinion, in the NJ Hot Dogs forum. -Ken
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/22 13:47:37 (permalink)
    The Scotch Plains Jimmy Buffs, as well as the Irvington location serve a very greasy Italian Hot Dog. The locations in West Orange and East Hanover are much better. As for Bowcraft, I haven't been there in awhile, but heard that they charge something like $23-25 for adults and a lesser fee for children to get in. Rides are included, but that is too much in my opinion. The best subs are at a place on rt 35 in Avenel called Pizza Time. Nowhere even comes close.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/23 14:40:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

The Scotch Plains Jimmy Buffs, as well as the Irvington location serve a very greasy Italian Hot Dog. The locations in West Orange and East Hanover are much better. As for Bowcraft, I haven't been there in awhile, but heard that they charge something like $23-25 for adults and a lesser fee for children to get in. Rides are included, but that is too much in my opinion.

OUCH, $23-25 just to get in?!? That's brutal; I agree with you, John, as I believe an amusement park THAT small should have more options...
    and one of them should be to just be able to WALK IN FREE, and go on just a few rides, if you so desire. (like the Fantasy Island park I was just at yesterday in Beach Haven, on LBI) and if you WANT a package "pay one price" deal, that can be made available , as well.

I will definitely try a sub from Pizza Time in Avenel...(make mine tuna with cheese, everything on it, good and messy!!)

Thanks for that Jimmy Buffs comparison, as well. I did'nt realize the West Orange and Hanover locations were less greasy. (growing up, we used to go the one in Irvington, as well, by that Kress diner) (that one may be gone now?) Now I know I have a "grease option" available next time I am up in North Jersey.
    ken8038
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/23 18:45:18 (permalink)
    <<heard that they charge something like $23-25 for adults and a lesser fee for children to get in.>>

Wow, we used to clip a coupon from the local paper and let the kids knock themselves out for $15 or so, total. And it was free to get in.

Thanks for the tip on Pizza Time, John, new to me. I looked it up and for those keeping score it's exactly at 1076 St George Ave (=Rt 35 as you said). I'll have to check it out on the way back from my next trip to the Costco Edison which should be in a couple of weeks. For what it's worth my favorite subs in that area is Tastee Subs on Plainfield Av in Edison, for cold subs anyway, thier few hot sub selections aren't all that great. Do you recommend hot or cold subs or both at Pizza Time? Thanks again. --Ken
    John Fox
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/23 20:39:58 (permalink)
    I usually get a cold sub (ham and cheese) but the hot subs are great as well.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/23 22:19:30 (permalink)
    I just went to the Bowcraft website , for the fun of it.

Prices are interesting...

children are $23.95, adults are $15.95, and seniors are $9.95.
    Like a sliding scale, they figure the older you get, the less rides you will be able to go on, or fit on. So a wild and crazy senior will get the best deal there!

(just real little ones get in free, ONE YEAR and under.)

season passes costs $124.95 whether you are a child or an adult ...(that's a real OUCH!)

jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/24 08:38:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

Like a sliding scale, they figure the older you get, the less rides you will be able to go on, or fit on. So a wild and crazy senior will get the best deal there!

season passes costs $124.95 whether you are a child or an adult ...(that's a real OUCH!)

Sounds like a real rip off. Esp. having to buy tickets to get on the rides after you just paid an admission fee.As from What i remember, the rides were all kids rides.

Perhaps Bowcraft is Scotch Plains' only revenue?
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/24 11:03:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

Sounds like a real rip off. Esp. having to buy tickets to get on the rides after you just paid an admission fee.As from What i remember, the rides were all kids rides.

the rides are all included once you pay to get in. For that price, though, it would be nice if they had a waterpark , as well
    ken8038
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/24 17:37:04 (permalink)
    <<Perhaps Bowcraft is Scotch Plains' only revenue?>>

Not quite. I live in Scotch Plains and I can tell you they also make a hell of a lot of $$ with thier exhorbitant property taxes. But that's all they get from me. I've lived here for 9 years and other than an occasional meal at a very good Chinese Restaurant called Hung's, I've yet to actually buy anything from any store or restaurant "downtown".

I happened to drive by Bowcraft today and with all this chatter going on, I figured I'd pull in and look around thru the fence (it was 7AM, nobody made me pay). How they can charge those prices for what they have to offer is beyond me. ---Ken
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/25 06:49:58 (permalink)
    quote:

<<Perhaps Bowcraft is Scotch Plains' only revenue?>>

Not quite. I live in Scotch Plains and I can tell you they also make a hell of a lot of $$ with thier exhorbitant property taxes. But that's all they get from me. I've lived here for 9 years and other than an occasional meal at a very good Chinese Restaurant called Hung's, I've yet to actually buy anything from any store or restaurant "downtown".

I happened to drive by Bowcraft today and with all this chatter going on, I figured I'd pull in and look around thru the fence (it was 7AM, nobody made me pay). How they can charge those prices for what they have to offer is beyond me. ---Ken

I'm living in Scotch Plains for just over a year now. Where is Hungs Restaurant? ..

I've been to what they call "Down Town" Scotch Plains and believe me.....There's not much going on there. We dont even have a supermarket in Scotch Plains.
    ken8038
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/25 22:22:00 (permalink)
    <<I'm living in Scotch Plains for just over a year now. Where is Hungs Restaurant? ..>>

It's at 362 Park Ave, which is the main North/South Street in Scotch Plains
    (i.e it's "downtown"). It's a nice place to eat-in, but it seems you get a lot more food for your money if you take out. So it depends on your mood.
    There's a fairly good thread about Hungs on the Mid Atlantic Chowhound board with mostly positve comments. ---Ken
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/07/26 07:04:56 (permalink)
    quote:

<<I'm living in Scotch Plains for just over a year now. Where is Hungs Restaurant? ..>>

It's at 362 Park Ave, which is the main North/South Street in Scotch Plains
    (i.e it's "downtown"). It's a nice place to eat-in, but it seems you get a lot more food for your money if you take out. So it depends on your mood.
    There's a fairly good thread about Hungs on the Mid Atlantic Chowhound board with mostly positve comments. ---Ken

Thanks Ken. I just looked it up on Google Maps and it looks like it's right off of Front Street. Across the street from Park Beverage Liquors to be exact.

As for getting more food when you take out.....I think thats rule of thumb with most of those restaurants. You seem to get more food. Sometimes my wife and I order from China Garden next to the Foodtown on Inmann Ave. in Colonia. We order one of the family meals which is a variety of different dishes with soup, egg rolls etc. Regular price if ordered seperately is like $30.....in the family meal it's only $22 . So, we get plenty of left overs to eat through the week until we are finally tired of eating Chinese food
    ken8038
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/10 18:07:26 (permalink)
    <<The best subs are at a place on rt 35 in Avenel called Pizza Time. Nowhere even comes close.>>

Thanks again John for that tip. I finally got there today. It's the kind of place I've probably driven by a dozen times and never thought to stop there. I had a terrific cheesesteak and my wife loved her Tuna Sub. There's a Chicken Parm sub in the fridge awaiting my son's return home from work, I'll steal a 1/4 of that one when he opens up the bag. I like the fact that the place has a large dining area, next time we'll eat in.

Thanks again. --Ken.

PS: Say hi to Steve P, Last night when I left Jack McD's house at 1 AM he and Jack were still going strong, if you get my drift. Ken
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/13 12:28:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by selandirv

Regarding the Robert Treat Deli it should be noted that it is more like an Italian Deli than the usual North Jersey deli which MUST include Corned Beef and Pastrami among its choices. Sour pickles are also de regeur as is "deli" mustard. We are formerly from Union County and I believe that now the all encompassing delis are in Essex County or Bergen County. We have been in central North Carolina for several years and would now die for any kind of deli.

Almost but not quite true. Although Union County recently lost Larry's in Plainfield, there is still Deli King, in Clark and I believe in Linden. And in Edison (Middlesex County), there is Jack Cooper's (never been there, though) and, of couse, Harold's, which both defines and transcends deli.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/13 15:20:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni

quote:
    Originally posted by selandirv

Almost but not quite true. Although Union County recently lost Larry's in Plainfield, there is still Deli King, in Clark and I believe in Linden. And in Edison (Middlesex County), there is Jack Cooper's (never been there, though) and, of couse, Harold's, which both defines and transcends deli.

Dont forget Goodman's Deli on Springfield Ave. in Berkeley Hts.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/14 22:21:56 (permalink)
    Yes, the Deli King in Clark is still around. Off exit 135, GSP
    Went there last month and had a real good sloppy joe sandwich...with brisket and pastrami, and the rye bread was so fresh. I'll post the pic right here...
    It's Hebrew National pastrami, (not extra special, not hand cured, etc), but it still had a nice flavor. Brisket was espescially wonderful..

this is a true "sloppy joe" sandwich, the deli kind of sloppy joe!!

I also took out a tasty 1/2 bbq chicken. The deli man had been there more than 20 years. Hard to find that anymore!
    John Fox
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/15 06:25:13 (permalink)
    I've got to start eating there! It's on my route and I'm there every day. I've sometimes gotten hot dogs, but usually they are not hot enough. Once I asked about a reuben sandwich and was told that since they are a kosher deli, they will not mix meat and dairy. Odd, considering that they are open on the Sabbath, which I didn't think a kosher deli was allowed to be. Ellen, was there cheese on your sloppy joe? Didn't look like it.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/15 06:59:17 (permalink)
    I ate at the Kosher King when we first moved here. It was expensive but good. Just to the right of Kosher King is Vaccaro's Bakery. Great rye bread, perhaps the best i've ever had. Cakes and pastries are really good too.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/15 08:01:27 (permalink)
    I don't remember there being cheese on the sloppy joe, John

Yes, I hit Vaccaro's bakery, too, jerzeydawg! (as you can see from my next pics)

One place I did NOT go to in that shopping center parking lot was this next place.

I was'nt going to ruin my day by eating anything healthy!! I was in the mood to be real bad that day.

hey, I noticed that the original poster of this thread has only that ONE "robert treat deli" post to his credit. They never came back to this board to check up or contribute. Sure enough, looks like they were just hyping that deli.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/15 11:25:29 (permalink)
    Boy loved the photos.The cookies looked yummy.
    I'll have to ask Ross,my sister's boyfriend if he has heard of Bowcraft Amusement Park.I wonder how far it is from Piermont,NY.
    where they live?Next time i go up to visit,maybe we can go to one of these places.I'll have to take them to Clear Springs Catfish Restaurant in Clear Springs,near New Braunfels,TX.
    Haven't tried Luke's Deli here in town yet.
    You guys are lucky cause there aren't many delis around here.
    I have seen at HEB the Hebrew National deli meats for sale,but haven't tried them yet.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Westfield, NJ Deli: Robert Treat Delicatessen 2007/08/18 21:20:48 (permalink)
    quote:

I don't remember there being cheese on the sloppy joe, John

Yes, I hit Vaccaro's bakery, too, jerzeydawg! (as you can see from my next pics)

One place I did NOT go to in that shopping center parking lot was this next place.

I was'nt going to ruin my day by eating anything healthy!! I was in the mood to be real bad that day.

hey, I noticed that the original poster of this thread has only that ONE "robert treat deli" post to his credit. They never came back to this board to check up or contribute. Sure enough, looks like they were just hyping that deli.

Ellen, you're probably right about the original poster of this thread. Plugging his own establishment. I too was kind of weary about it from the get go. As for Lindas Diet Delights, Her store was originaly locaated on Center Street in Garwood. We dont want that healthy stuff now do we?

P.S. I Did manage to hit the Clark White Diamond for lunch today. Cheeseburger & Cheese Fries!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1