Westport, Connecticut?

Author
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2003/07/12 13:58:19 (permalink)

Westport, Connecticut?

Will be spending a few days there soon, and I need recommendations for great places to eat. All cuisines and price ranges are welcome. Neighboring towns also qualify. Don't forget about breakfast joints.

Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/12 16:39:12 (permalink)
    Breakfast: donuts at Coffee An'

Hot dogs: Swanky Frank's in Norwalk and Rawley's in Fairfield

Pizza: Letizia's in Norwalk

Deli: forget the name, but it's on Main Street. A real one.

Sandwiches: S&S Dugout, Westport

Huge Bar-style burgers and knock-out cocktail's: Mario's by the train station

kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/12 17:31:38 (permalink)
    Thank you for the prompt reply. Does Coffee An' have a selection of traditional donut flavors, such as French Cruellers, creme-filled, and jelly as well as those great-looking chocolate ones? (I checked out your review and pics) I was thinking of getting an assorted dozen to bring back to the house with me. Those chocolate look good enough to account for at least 4 of the dozen, I'd say. Is the coffee there worth getting?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/13 06:37:10 (permalink)
    Southport Brewing Co. on Rte. 1 makes a decent brew.
    jlindquist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/13 13:21:02 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Westport is a small town of about 20,000 that has its own glossy monthly magazine (it was Martha Stewart land), at http://www.westportmagazine.com. There is a cumulative section of restaurant profiles in each issue which is only in the print edition, usually available at Barnes and Noble on Route 1 in Westport. You can sip a latte and flip through it there.
    Personally, I like V (vee, not five), also on Rte. 1, for a special lunch or dinner, since I do not have a Westport budget. Either the Athenian or Southport Diners are reliable for basic food. Bombay Indian Restaurant has been highly recommended to me by my friends from India. There are many others, but be prepared to pay for the location as well as the food. This is the Connecticut Gold Coast, after all.
    For the full Martha, visit Hay Day on Rte. 1. It is a very upscale food boutique, close to Martha's former house on South Turkey Hill Road. The selection of goodies is jaw-dropping.
    Jan L.
    jlindquist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/13 14:22:12 (permalink)
    Buster's is, alas, long gone. The place is now called Smokey Joe's. I haven't eaten there in a long while, so I don't know what it is like now. When the change-over first occurred, the menu was almost identical to Buster's, with most of the same staff, so there is hope.
    Jan L.

quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

Pasta Fair Rte 1 Norwalk Darien line. Great fried calimari, fresh bread with every meal.

Holly Hill Deli if you want to make the big trip down to Greewnwich. They make a pretty good cuban.

Buster's Bar-B-Que, Rte 1 in Stamford. Just a few blocks from WWF headquarters. Cornbread, red potato pie and ribs ribs ribs.

Can't remember the name but there is a mongolian place in down town Stamford. Fill your bowl and have fun watching them do their thing.

And there are any number of diners ind and around southwest CT that do a reasonable job of diner fair.

Hard to believe it's been seven years since I lived there.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/13 14:51:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

Thank you for the prompt reply. Does Coffee An' have a selection of traditional donut flavors, such as French Cruellers, creme-filled, and jelly as well as those great-looking chocolate ones? (I checked out your review and pics) I was thinking of getting an assorted dozen to bring back to the house with me. Those chocolate look good enough to account for at least 4 of the dozen, I'd say. Is the coffee there worth getting?

Yes, they have a bunch of flavors, all like the chocolate: insanely, deliciously greasy-good. The coffee's OK, but nothing special I.M.O.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Westport, Connecticut? 2003/07/14 08:12:09 (permalink)
    The deli Michael was talking about is Oscars -- I'm partial to Golds, which is on the Post Road. Both are great. There are a bunch of great, expensive restaurants in town -- for the best view, outside dining, and mostly decent food, try Splash. Mirimar is a Todd English restaurant -- I've always found his food too busy and too much, but many like it. Mario's is good, known for their prime rib.

If you want to go to Swanky Franks, I still enjoy the original one in Norwalk much more. The Swanky Franks in Westport does have a larger, cleaner dining area. Stay away from the Three Bears, Red Barn, and Peppermill -- all very ordinary.

For seafood, both Mansion Clam House and Conte's are great, but Conte's is much more upscale and expensive.

More to come...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1