Westport Flea Market burger

Author
StL Dan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
2005/07/07 01:27:31 (permalink)

Westport Flea Market burger

If you ever visit KCMO and want an EXCELLENT big ol' burger with all the fixin's, head to Westport Rd in Midtown for a great burger.

Lot's of beer on tap to wash it down as well.

7 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/07 01:46:41 (permalink)
    Hey dan, welcome to roadfood.I'm a native KC'er, along with zataar and bill b and a few others. I'm in southern Oregon now. That building has come up in various discussions, in it's incarnation as the Kitty Clover Potato chip factory, and as "the Place" and maybe the legend of bob berdella, but you are the first to talk about their food. It IS a very good fresh made burger. I used to sell vintage clothes and records there in
    late '70's early '80's. Lived behind it, it fact. (House torn down).Town Topic's still my first desire when I get back there, burgerwise. Last time back, our friend picked us up from the airport and we headed straight to rosedale for a quick Q fix.
    again, welcome to the camp.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/07 09:32:14 (permalink)
    Hi StL Dan. Have you heard the rumor that Hooters wants the Flea Market's spot? I'm hoping it's only an urban myth. We used to go to the Flea Market fairly often because out daughter liked it as a child. She loved that condiment bar! Haven't been for a long time, but I should. It was always good and fresh. I live about 3 minutes from there. If I'm going to blow the cholesterol, fat and calorie thing I usually go to Max's Auto Diner on Wornall or Town Topic. Happy to have you here at the roadfood forum.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/07 20:44:29 (permalink)
    It's been a long time since we've visited the flea market. My KC born wife and I were sent there by her brother who still lives in town. We were skeptical at first, being longtime lovers of Winstead's. There is, of course no comparison as they are two completely different types of burger. We'll be back at Christmas, maybe a return trip to the flea market is in order.

Two Christmases ago we hit Town Topic (otherwise known as Town Toxic) for the first time. Certainly not the best burger I've ever had, but definitely the best people watching since before Winstead's went corporate.
    StL Dan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/08 01:42:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Hey dan, welcome to roadfood.I'm a native KC'er, along with zataar and bill b and a few others. I'm in southern Oregon now. That building has come up in various discussions, in it's incarnation as the Kitty Clover Potato chip factory, and as "the Place" and maybe the legend of bob berdella, but you are the first to talk about their food. It IS a very good fresh made burger. I used to sell vintage clothes and records there in
    late '70's early '80's. Lived behind it, it fact. (House torn down).Town Topic's still my first desire when I get back there, burgerwise. Last time back, our friend picked us up from the airport and we headed straight to rosedale for a quick Q fix.
    again, welcome to the camp.

bill...thanks for the kind welcome. Same to the rest of you guys. This is really nice site. I'm glad I found it!

Bob Berdella...there's a name.

One of the many things I love about Flea is it's variety. They have killer BLTs and Spicy Chicken sammiches.

Additionally, I can get a midday Centipede fix while waiting for the cook to call my name.

bill, I'm a native St Louisan that has lived in the KC Metro since 1988. However, I 'discovered' Flea about 5 or 6 years ago while working downtown on Grand Ave. My curiosity about places to eat downtown, midtown and on the Plaaawwwza eventually led me there. I'm now a devout loyalist of the place. Would love to hear more about it's history and place in Westport lore.
    StL Dan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/08 01:48:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

Hi StL Dan. Have you heard the rumor that Hooters wants the Flea Market's spot? I'm hoping it's only an urban myth. We used to go to the Flea Market fairly often because out daughter liked it as a child. She loved that condiment bar! Haven't been for a long time, but I should. It was always good and fresh. I live about 3 minutes from there. If I'm going to blow the cholesterol, fat and calorie thing I usually go to Max's Auto Diner on Wornall or Town Topic. Happy to have you here at the roadfood forum.

z,

Yes, I first heard (or read) that rumor several months ago. Me and some friends immediately scheduled a lunch there and asked one of the waitresses if there was any truth to Flea going out of business.

She just grumbled. Seriously.

I later heard that the Best Western, or whatever hotel Flea shares parking with, bought the building. I suspect wild speculation was to be expected.

I'll keep checking my sources for any updates to any more rumor or factual stories and let you know what is up.

btw....I now work on State Line Rd...basically at 90th and State Line. Haven't checked out Max's Auto Diner yet, though. When is a good time to go? Lunch?
    StL Dan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/07/27 22:48:41 (permalink)
    zataar,

Here is an article from the KU Star regarding the future of Westport Flea Market:

source: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/columnists/hearne_christopher_jr/12227290.htm
    Posted on Wed, Jul. 27, 2005

R E L A T E D L I N K S
    • More Hearne Christopher, Jr.

Cowtown Confidential

Westport Flea Market owner gives a hoot

By HEARNE CHRISTOPHER JR.

The Kansas City Star

For what it may be worth, count Westport Flea Market owner Mel Kleb II among the locals grieving for the likely demise of the midtown institution.

“You know, I have a family over there,” Kleb says. “Those people are my family. Nobody’s going to be more bummed than I am, but I’m getting old. I mean, if it happens it’s going to be a tearjerker for me.”

Kleb emphasizes that there’s been no signing on the dotted line. Still it appears the longstanding Flea Market building will be replaced with a spanking new, in all likelihood, orange-accented edifice.

Out with the Flea Market’s highly regarded burgers and do-it-yourself food ordering and pickup system. In with Hooters’ hot wings and wait staff hotties.

If the deal goes down, Kleb says.

“It’s a business, you know,” Kleb says. “I’m 62 years old, and I’m ready to retire.”

Still there’s no shortage of locals tossing darts Kleb’s way. A haphazard consortium of Cowtowners bemoans 1) the restaurant’s passing, 2) the demise of the flea market, 3) the dozing of a quaint, old building, 4) the addition of a chain restaurant to the area, 5) that of all the chains, it has to be Hooters — the joint whose very name represents a thinly disguised reference to breasts and/or 6) all of the above.

OK, OK, so Hooters has an airline and only serves beer and wine, not hard liquor. So some folks take their dates, mates or kids there. But it is hard to dodge Hooters’ name bullet.

Kleb understands the controversy but says he thinks the restaurant will be a good fit for Westport.

“There’s a huge amount of sentimentality in it for me — I’ve put my blood, sweat and tears into it since 1979,” he says. “But I’m 62, I’m tired, and I would never do anything that I didn’t think was good for the whole neighborhood. These are qualified, good people — professional —and they’ve got a great reputation.”

There you have it.

fablerox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Westport Flea Market burger 2005/08/25 20:31:50 (permalink)
    I went to school at St.Luke's hosptal near Westport. I used to LOVE Winsteads!!! There was another place not far from the hospital we nursing students used to go for burgers. And then there was the OB rotation where we won our instructors and obstetretion's hearts by bringing in massive amounts of Popeye's Chicken.

I miss KC Roadfood!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1