The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Wetson's

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 65
Author Message
memphis

  • Total Posts: 13
  • Joined: 11/20/2005
  • Location: morris plains, NJ
Wetson's Sun, 11/20/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
Does anybody remember the Wetson's burger joint on Route 46 in New Jersey. I'm not sure of the exact town, but I know it was near Pine Brook. There was the Kiddieland amusement park rite next to it. Believe it or not, that entire section was turned it to a u-turn for Route 46.
 
#1
    Tony Bad

    RE: Wetson's Sun, 11/20/05 9:15 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by memphis

    Does anybody remember the Wetson's burger joint on Route 46 in New Jersey. I'm not sure of the exact town, but I know it was near Pine Brook. There was the Kiddieland amusement park rite next to it. Believe it or not, that entire section was turned it to a u-turn for Route 46.


    Not specifically about that Wetson's, but check this out...

    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=3369#149944
     
    #2
      LindaW

      • Total Posts: 338
      • Joined: 5/10/2005
      • Location: Watervliet, NY
      RE: Wetson's Thu, 12/1/05 9:00 AM (permalink)
      I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...
       
      #3
        Jersey Boy

        • Total Posts: 1
        • Joined: 1/5/2006
        • Location: West Orange, NJ
        RE: Wetson's Thu, 01/5/06 10:23 AM (permalink)
        Sure, Wetson's was at the corner of Rt.46 East and Hook Mountain Road. Kiddyland was just east of Wetson's, followed by a polynesian restauarant, a miniature golf coure, Goody's hamburgers, O'Dowds Dairy (ice cream) and the Pine Brook Auction Market.
        The only real survivor today is the polynesisn restaurant, which is now a spanish restaurant.
         
        #4
          memphis

          • Total Posts: 13
          • Joined: 11/20/2005
          • Location: morris plains, NJ
          RE: Wetson's Sat, 01/14/06 6:34 PM (permalink)
          WOW. The Pine Brook auction, that was rite next to the Pine Brook Motel, still there today, but looks like a dive. I have been trying to find pictures of Wetsons, and Kiddieland. We just passed by the spot today, and I told my kids about kiddieland. Pretty sad that all they could come up with to fill that spot is a freakin u-turn. Oh well, remember the good ol days.
           
          #5
            Bobs

            • Total Posts: 244
            • Joined: 6/28/2003
            • Location: Jackson, TN
            RE: Wetson's Sat, 01/14/06 8:47 PM (permalink)
            Seems to me I remember a Wetson's in Keyport N.J.in the 60's. Didn't they serve the .15 burger similar to McDonald's? Please refresh my memory.
             
            #6
              ScreenBear

              • Total Posts: 1504
              • Joined: 9/18/2005
              • Location: Westfield, NJ
              RE: Wetson's Sat, 01/14/06 11:09 PM (permalink)
              The Wetson's I knew was on Rahway Avenue in Elizabeth, N.J. After White Castle, it was our first fast food hamburger joint.

              McDonald's, Gino's (and then Burger King) andWendy's hadn't made it to our area yet.

              I thought they were pretty good at the time.
               
              #7
                pmrkr2

                • Total Posts: 319
                • Joined: 6/28/2005
                • Location: new york city, NY
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Wetson's Wed, 01/18/06 4:48 PM (permalink)
                i remember one on northern blvd. in roslyn, ny and one in hempstead on hempstead avenue. they we're the place to go hang and the burgers were great. way before there was a mcdonald's or burger king on long island.
                 
                #8
                  duke the dog

                  • Total Posts: 6
                  • Joined: 3/28/2005
                  • Location: fairfield, CT
                  RE: Wetson's Sun, 02/5/06 2:51 PM (permalink)
                  I recall Wetsons in Fairfield,ct. and in Bridgeport, ct. It was a Macs copy but not even as good. The co. folded in the 70s. The Ffld. store was famous because they sold dope over the counter. got busted too. The Fairfield location is now a DUCHESS. GREAT PLACES>>>>>
                   
                  #9
                    pml

                    • Total Posts: 1
                    • Joined: 3/1/2006
                    • Location: Yorktown Heights, NY
                    RE: Wetson's Wed, 03/1/06 7:36 PM (permalink)
                    Bringing back great memories. Does anyone remember the Jolly Roger that was next to Wetson's that was next to St. James Church. Been out of the area for a long time I cannot remember the roads
                     
                    #10
                      Butch E. Man

                      • Total Posts: 7
                      • Joined: 2/26/2006
                      • Location: Matawan, NJ
                      RE: Wetson's Thu, 03/2/06 6:53 PM (permalink)
                      [:pWOW ! I would love to taste that BRIGHT Orange colored cheese burger once again ! I grew up in Matawan NJ & we went to the one on Rt.36 in Hazlet.This was around 1969. Right at the Airport Plaza. Those burgers had a greese that was just right ...Why did they go bust?? Is there a more detailed reference to find the Wetson story ???

                      Butch E. Man
                       
                      #11
                        newwavemichael

                        • Total Posts: 12
                        • Joined: 3/17/2006
                        • Location: smithtown, NY
                        RE: Wetson's Sat, 03/18/06 6:26 AM (permalink)
                        I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,the owners were the norbitz family,it was provately owned,they bought nathan's famous around 1974,and the wetson chain got into big trouble,accounting wise,that is the reason they dissappeared,they were as big if not bigger here in new york(long island for me( as macdonalds was,and bigger than bk,and wendys was non existant,today the son wayne norbits is ceo if nathans and they still own the wetson name and recipe,and have toyed with the idea,of putting it on the nathans menu,but they already have a great burger,so they have so far resisted.
                         
                        #12
                          Tony Bad

                          RE: Wetson's Sat, 03/18/06 11:34 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by newwavemichael

                          I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,


                          I am no expert on this, but I am pretty sure that at some point there was a Wetson or Wetteson family that was involved in the burger place. Perhaps they sold to the people you indicate.

                          I remember being at Bridgehampton raceway many years ago and meeting a "Wetson"...not positive, but think he was racing some type of sports car, but could have just been watching...and someone told my dad that he was one of the "hamburger Wetsons".
                           
                          #13
                            ndanger

                            • Total Posts: 4
                            • Joined: 7/27/2005
                            • Location: miami, FL
                            RE: Wetson's Thu, 03/30/06 2:08 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by LindaW

                            I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...

                            Came across your post, and am replying tardily. I also knew the Wettensons from the 5 Towns, and remember Green Acres and Lawson Pub quite well. There was also a great drive-in in Oceanside called the Texas Ranger.
                             
                            #14
                              LindaW

                              • Total Posts: 338
                              • Joined: 5/10/2005
                              • Location: Watervliet, NY
                              RE: Wetson's Thu, 03/30/06 2:39 PM (permalink)
                              I graduated from Hewlett HS in 1979.....loved Lawson's Pub...great steak and onion rings...also...do you remember Shor's in Hewlett? It became a Burger King...ugh...hmmmm what else.....Itkin's in Valley Stream.....great ice cream...ahhhh the memories
                               
                              #15
                                Holly Moore

                                RE: Wetson's Sat, 04/1/06 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                My second job in a restaurant (first was washing dishes at the Five Star Diner, Rte 46 and Rte 202 in Parsippany) was at the Wetson's at the corner of Hook Mountain Road and Rte. 46. There was no cheap hamburger competition and the place was packed all the time. I loved the stress and the tension of a constant rush. Was where I discovered California Cokes - half Coca Cola and half orange drink. I think my father spent more on gas driving me to and from work than I earned working the counter.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Twinwillow

                                  • Total Posts: 4899
                                  • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                  • Location: "Big D"
                                  RE: Wetson's Tue, 04/18/06 11:50 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by ndanger

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by LindaW

                                  I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...

                                  Came across your post, and am replying tardily. I also knew the Wettensons from the 5 Towns, and remember Green Acres and Lawson Pub quite well. There was also a great drive-in in Oceanside called the Texas Ranger.

                                  I grew up in Woodmere and Cedarhurst (two of the "5 towns") I didn't know the Wettenson brothers personally but, my cousin (2 years older than me) was very friendly with Errol Wettenson. Remember "Shore's" in Hewlett?
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Twinwillow

                                    • Total Posts: 4899
                                    • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                    • Location: "Big D"
                                    RE: Wetson's Tue, 04/18/06 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                    Speaking of the 5 towns, My very favorite cheesburger was at the "Central Diner" next to the movie theater in Cedarhurst.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Twinwillow

                                      • Total Posts: 4899
                                      • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                      • Location: "Big D"
                                      RE: Wetson's Tue, 04/18/06 11:59 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Tony Bad

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by newwavemichael

                                      I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,


                                      I am no expert on this, but I am pretty sure that at some point there was a Wetson or Wetteson family that was involved in the burger place. Perhaps they sold to the people you indicate.

                                      I remember being at Bridgehampton raceway many years ago and meeting a "Wetson"...not positive, but think he was racing some type of sports car, but could have just been watching...and someone told my dad that he was one of the "hamburger Wetsons".

                                      The Wettensons were big sports car guys. Always buying and selling exotic sports cars.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Twinwillow

                                        • Total Posts: 4899
                                        • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                        • Location: "Big D"
                                        RE: Wetson's Wed, 04/19/06 12:06 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by newwavemichael

                                        I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,the owners were the norbitz family,it was provately owned,they bought nathan's famous around 1974,and the wetson chain got into big trouble,accounting wise,that is the reason they dissappeared,they were as big if not bigger here in new york(long island for me( as macdonalds was,and bigger than bk,and wendys was non existant,today the son wayne norbits is ceo if nathans and they still own the wetson name and recipe,and have toyed with the idea,of putting it on the nathans menu,but they already have a great burger,so they have so far resisted.

                                        The Wettenson family did start Wetsons. This was back in the late 50's. I remember the one they had on Queens Blvd. in Forest hills. Those of us that knew about the Wettenson family probably graduated high school in the mid to late 50's.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Tony Bad

                                          RE: Wetson's Wed, 04/19/06 8:10 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          The Wettensons were big sports car guys. Always buying and selling exotic sports cars.


                                          Thanks! Sometimes the memories of 40 years ago get a bit hazy, but I guess I may have this one right.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            LindaW

                                            • Total Posts: 338
                                            • Joined: 5/10/2005
                                            • Location: Watervliet, NY
                                            RE: Wetson's Wed, 04/19/06 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                            Yeah...I went to Hewlett H.S with their daughter Liza...the house they live in was in Hewlett Bay Park and looked like a castle....ok..more memories of the 5 Towns...there was a luncheonette in Woodmere I think called the Virginian...in Cedarhurst was a delicatessan named Toddy's...my grandfather taught Toddy how to make pickeled herring in cream sauce.....in Hewlett..near Hewlett Elementary..we always hung out at Stan's....playing pinball...buying candy or food...hmmm...what else....oh...and back then...for $5 all you could drink at the Hewlett Inn....and drinking age was 18...ahhh the memories...plus great sandwiches and onion rings at Woodro's
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Twinwillow

                                              • Total Posts: 4899
                                              • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                              • Location: "Big D"
                                              RE: Wetson's Wed, 04/19/06 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by LindaW

                                              Yeah...I went to Hewlett H.S with their daughter Liza...the house they live in was in Hewlett Bay Park and looked like a castle....ok..more memories of the 5 Towns...there was a luncheonette in Woodmere I think called the Virginian...in Cedarhurst was a delicatessan named Toddy's...my grandfather taught Toddy how to make pickeled herring in cream sauce.....in Hewlett..near Hewlett Elementary..we always hung out at Stan's....playing pinball...buying candy or food...hmmm...what else....oh...and back then...for $5 all you could drink at the Hewlett Inn....and drinking age was 18...ahhh the memories...plus great sandwiches and onion rings at Woodro's

                                              The "old" 5 towns were GREAT!! The best place in the world to be a teenager in the 50's. Everything is different now. I went back for a wedding a few years ago and I couldn't belive how things and places and people have changed in Cedarhurst and Lawrence. (LHS 58) But! the old Peninsula diner is still there! The Central diner is gone though.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                carasue

                                                • Total Posts: 2
                                                • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                                • Location: boca raton, FL
                                                RE: Wetson's Sun, 06/11/06 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                i am a first cousin of errol wetanson. I remember growing up in LOng island before i moved to fla at the age of seven. my mother and i always felt guilty going to mcdonalds. Errol was never a part of Wetsons,,,it was started by his father and uncle. my father begged them to put in breakfast..when the big two were doing it and they didn't see the merit. I spent many days of my childhood in the house in Woodmere...which the mother still lives in, and it wasn't a "castle" lol..they weren't mega rich..just frugal. Errol being listed as the "founder" of wetsons or a "hamburger heir" is hysterical and not true.
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  LindaW

                                                  • Total Posts: 338
                                                  • Joined: 5/10/2005
                                                  • Location: Watervliet, NY
                                                  RE: Wetson's Mon, 06/12/06 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                                  uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    newwavemichael

                                                    • Total Posts: 12
                                                    • Joined: 3/17/2006
                                                    • Location: smithtown, NY
                                                    RE: Wetson's Fri, 06/23/06 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                                    I guess maybe that family started the chain,but in the 70's it was definately owned by the norbitz' and bought by nathans with wayne now the ceo of nathans all the info is available on the nathans and other websites
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      johnwreedy6

                                                      • Total Posts: 1
                                                      • Joined: 7/20/2006
                                                      • Location: Hendersonville, TN
                                                      RE: Wetson's Thu, 07/20/06 9:11 PM (permalink)

                                                      Originally posted by pmrkr2

                                                      i remember one on northern blvd. in roslyn, ny and one in hempstead on hempstead avenue. they we're the place to go hang and the burgers were great. way before there was a mcdonald's or burger king on long island.
                                                      [Subject: Re: Who Remembers Wetsons?

                                                      Iremember Wetsons from the time I was about 10 years old in 1958. My parents used to take us there for dinner because they were so busy. It was in Bethpage L.I. across from a MacDonalds. We lived in North Massapequa which is slightly more than a block away From Statin Island where nobody lives. But thats part of the great thing about New York. I now live in Tennessee and eat at MacDonalds.


                                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                      I picked up this forum on a Statin Island web page that was'nt available. It' kind of nostalgic for me, you may be correct about Hempstead, but there was also a Jolly Roger Nearby. I was Pretty sure it was Bethpage. /quote]
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        carasue

                                                        • Total Posts: 2
                                                        • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                                        • Location: boca raton, FL
                                                        RE: Wetson's Sun, 09/24/06 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by LindaW

                                                        uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          richpal

                                                          • Total Posts: 5
                                                          • Joined: 9/25/2006
                                                          • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                          RE: Wetson's Mon, 09/25/06 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                          Yes I do remember the Wetsons. Burgers around 1964 for $.15. Fries for $.10. Yes it was Pine Brook.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            mistrtj

                                                            • Total Posts: 2
                                                            • Joined: 2/4/2006
                                                            • Location: boca raton, FL
                                                            RE: Wetson's Wed, 10/25/06 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                                            i used to go to the wetson's near the valley stream/lynbrook line because my friend used to be the night manager at the gas stationbetween the wetsons and the dunkin donuts on sunrise hwy. all this "5 towns" talk brings back memories because i used to work at the Howard Johnsons in lynbrook and later managed a country club in the 5 towns. it's a whole new world there now.
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 65

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com