Wetson's

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: Wetson's 2006/10/25 21:12:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by johnwreedy6I picked up this forum on a Statin Island web page that was'nt available. It' kind of nostalgic for me, you may be correct about Hempstead, but there was also a Jolly Roger Nearby. I was Pretty sure it was Bethpage.
There was a Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike (also called Bethpage Tpk) in Levittown, a few hundred feet west of Jolly Rogers (affiliated with Nunley's/Smiley's Happyland).
Robert Berkowitz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Wetson's 2006/11/15 23:07:55 (permalink)
The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue. I remember another Wetson's, this one on Old Country Road at Levittown Parkway in Hicksville. It became a Titus Oaks Records store, then abandoned for quite a while, then demolished to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts store.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Wetson's 2006/11/15 23:40:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Berkowitz

The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue. I remember another Wetson's, this one on Old Country Road at Levittown Parkway in Hicksville. It became a Titus Oaks Records store, then abandoned for quite a while, then demolished to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts store.

Hi Robert! welcome to Roadfood. I spent many hours thumbing through the racks at that Titus Oaks! Another Wetson's building that remains is in Bayshore, on the north side of sunrise, just west of where Bayshore road crosses. It is now a used car dealer.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
RE: Wetson's 2006/11/15 23:42:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carasue

quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.

I agree. The Wettenson family, (the kids, at least) were more extravagant than frugal.
Blanco-Grande
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Wetson's 2006/11/23 13:44:14 (permalink)
The Wetsons in Pine Brook turned into a Nathans when I lived there about 1980 and there was another Wetsons in Jersey City in front of Hudson Mall or the old Two Guys on Tonnelle Ave
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Wetson's 2006/11/23 19:57:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Berkowitz

The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue.
Actually Robert, that was a Burger 'n Shake. Wetson's was on the south side of Hempstead Turnpike, east of Jerusalem Avenue right next to where Jolly Roger's was.
newwavemichael
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Wetson's 2006/12/02 21:24:45 (permalink)
I got to the bottom of who started wetson's we are both right the wetansen's and norbitz' are cousins and started wetsons together here is a little article from a long island fastfood type thread:

In 1959, before McDonald’s and Burger King would blanket the landscape with their ubiquitous outlets, the Island’s own Wetson’s, with its 15-cent burgers and
10-cent fries, established itself. At its peak, Wetson’s had more than 70 hamburger stands throughout the New York metropolitan area. In 1975, as McDonald’s and Burger King continued their unstoppable expansion, Wetson’s was sold to Nathan’s Famous.

To the disappointment of many Long Islanders, Wetson’s 16-year run ended. Nathan’s discontinued the Wetson’s concept and converted many of the restaurants to Nathan’s. The LI hamburger chain created by Norbitz’ father, Harold Norbitz, and his uncle, Carl Wetansen, was no more. It was the mid-’50s when the two businessmen stumbled upon a gleaming new McDonald’s on a trip to Chicago’s suburbs. They were impressed with what they saw—from the golden arches to the cheap food and fast service—and, according to Norbitz, they “basically duplicated it.” They put their own spin on R and D: “Instead of research and development, they had research and duplication,” said Norbitz.

eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Wetson's 2007/02/03 15:39:00 (permalink)
The former Wetsons on Staten Island at Burger Ave. and Hylan Blvd. has been torn down. It had been an auto parts store for quite some time.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Wetson's 2007/02/15 22:50:12 (permalink)
My family used to enjoy going to the Wetson's on 46East in Pine Brook,
Nj,when we were younger,it is a Wendy's now,but we used to really like their burgers and fries.
Rob4579
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/03/28 18:53:40 (permalink)
I remember the Wetsons on Forest Ave/Broadway on Staten Island.
grtwhtsk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Wetson's 2007/04/03 17:30:06 (permalink)
I remember my Dad driving us to the Wetsons on Northern Boulevard in Queens.
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Wetson's 2007/04/16 20:51:31 (permalink)
Wetsons had one store on veterans hwy. where it split to become Rt347(smithtown by-pass) also another haven on north service road of sunrise hwy in Bay Shore. I remember them to be second in taste to McD's with their 15c hamburgers.
newwavemichael
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Wetson's 2007/04/29 07:48:03 (permalink)
to buddy dek,are you sure that was ever a wetsons at the route 347 split? I have lived 5 minutes from there since 1967 it was a single owned hamburger joint called hubie's,very similar to wetsons,I don't recall it ever being a wetsons,maybe before my time,my dad used to take us to hubie's and then to the smithtown driv-in,some of the best memories I have are from those nights
datsun2K
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/05/14 19:42:55 (permalink)
I worked in a Wetson's in the Airport Plaza Shopping Center in Hazlet, NJ while in high school in the early 1960's. I remember the fries becasue they were so good. I was often in charge of making them. I would put fresh potatoes in a big spinner machine that would scrub off the skins, then the peeled potatoes would dump in to a large sink full of water to soak for a while to remove some of the starch. I'd then stab potatoes with a big fork and slam them down in a big handled slicer to cut them in to shoestrings where they would fall in to a second sink for soaking. Once I got a big pile of raw cut shoestring potatoes, I would load up the fry baskets and fry them in the hot oil but only to par cook them. Once they were par cooked, they would hang on a big rack that could hold dozens of baskets at a time to cool. When demand for fresh french fries came up, the par cooked potatoes would be dropped in the hot oil again to finish them. This is essentially how pommes frites are made in Europe. When the Wetson's regional manager guy would show up from Staten Island, he was a stickler on doing the french fries right. He was a tough task master to us unruly kids but he taught me the importance of doing a job right and making a product that had integrity. To this day, I still think those fries from Wetson's were like nothing else you could get back then. Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity. Everything is flash frozen now for economy but it just doesn't compare. First time I went to Europe and had pommes frites in Holland, it all came back to me, how good the fries were at Wetson's and how much the pommes frites in Holland tasted like what I remembered.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Wetson's 2007/05/14 20:30:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by datsun2K

Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity.
You're right about that, but we still enjoy them these days at the venerable All American in Massapequa on Long Island...
queens2newport
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/06/30 22:52:33 (permalink)
I remember Wetson's on Northern Boulevard in Little Neck as a kid . . if they closed in 1975, i would have been 10 at the time.

Anyway . . my oldest friend, who I have known since we were 4, was the youngest of 8 kids . . the other 7 older siblings were a mixed bunch, a few of the boys were wild.

Anyway, he told me a story that wayyy back when it was really anything-goes land in NYC and the surrounding areas, his wild older brother and a whole bunch of guys had been drinking all night until they closed a bar in Little Neck at 4AM on a saturday night.

Walking back towards Douglaston where we all grew up, they passed the Wetson's and decided it was time for a 'little snack'. They forced entry & fired up the grill & had a completely insane animal house style rampage for close to two hours, as the story goes.

I can't remember if someone passed out there & they left him, there was something more to the story however it definitely did not include his brother or the group as a whole getting in trouble.

I guess in 75 it turned into a Carvel . . which it possibly still is, I haven't been back to NYC in 7 years or so.
Desert Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Wetson's 2007/07/19 18:29:56 (permalink)
I remember going to Wetsons on Northern Blvd late sixties, didn't they have two clowns? I also remember Chicken Delight, they went out of business in the states but they still have them in Canada.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Wetson's 2007/07/19 18:44:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog

I remember going to Wetsons on Northern Blvd late sixties, didn't they have two clowns? I also remember Chicken Delight, they went out of business in the states but they still have them in Canada.
They're still in NY, NJ and California. We occasionally still eat at the Westbury location and it's still good...
East811
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/10/17 01:52:21 (permalink)
yes, I worked @ wetsons pine brook, NJ in the late 60`s.
susan 1955
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/10/20 05:56:26 (permalink)
I have such fond memories of Wetsons. My dad would treat us every few months and take us to the one on 46 in NJ. It was a big deal. I would take orders in the car, which always included milkshakes, and I think in those days (the early 60') our whole family of five ate for under $3.00. Then on the way home we would drive past the Hanover Airport. Ahhh, the good old days.
Taurus4
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/11/11 17:43:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by datsun2K

I worked in a Wetson's in the Airport Plaza Shopping Center in Hazlet, NJ while in high school in the early 1960's. I remember the fries becasue they were so good. I was often in charge of making them. I would put fresh potatoes in a big spinner machine that would scrub off the skins, then the peeled potatoes would dump in to a large sink full of water to soak for a while to remove some of the starch. I'd then stab potatoes with a big fork and slam them down in a big handled slicer to cut them in to shoestrings where they would fall in to a second sink for soaking. Once I got a big pile of raw cut shoestring potatoes, I would load up the fry baskets and fry them in the hot oil but only to par cook them. Once they were par cooked, they would hang on a big rack that could hold dozens of baskets at a time to cool. When demand for fresh french fries came up, the par cooked potatoes would be dropped in the hot oil again to finish them. This is essentially how pommes frites are made in Europe. When the Wetson's regional manager guy would show up from Staten Island, he was a stickler on doing the french fries right. He was a tough task master to us unruly kids but he taught me the importance of doing a job right and making a product that had integrity. To this day, I still think those fries from Wetson's were like nothing else you could get back then. Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity. Everything is flash frozen now for economy but it just doesn't compare. First time I went to Europe and had pommes frites in Holland, it all came back to me, how good the fries were at Wetson's and how much the pommes frites in Holland tasted like what I remembered.

I lived in Hazlet and remember the Wetsons on RT36 in Airport Plaza. I seem to remember it burned down but as to when I can't say. I don't ever recall ever going there and it may have been burnt down and boarded up as long as I remember. Anyone know the story of this particular Wetsons?

Datsun2k, you were working there before I was even born (1970) so it gives me an idea of how long it was there before I was alive. Any other thoughts or comments would be great.

I always looked at it and hoped they would bring it back as I usually root for the underdog, but it remained un-occupied for as long as I could remember until I moved in 1988.
printernj
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/02/26 13:40:31 (permalink)
I remenber a Wetsons place in Teaneck on Teaneck Road & another in Lodi on Essex Street
mitros
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Wetson's 2008/02/27 20:30:07 (permalink)
I remember the Wetsons in Elizabeth New Jersey. It was on St. George ave., and I recall that they made their frys from FRESH cut potatoes! And the yellow tinge to the bun. Must have been the first bread bun made with egg yolks
quote:
Originally posted by printernj

I remenber a Wetsons place in Teaneck on Teaneck Road & another in Lodi on Essex Street
Flay
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Wetson's 2008/04/11 23:14:31 (permalink)
I just spoke with a co- worker and she remembers the Wetsons at 347 and 454 in Hauppauge long Island from the early 1960's.She says the pool store is there now . Does anybody remember Al Dowd's beefalo burgers on Northern Blvd in Laural Hollow just up the Hill from the fish hatchery in Cold Spring Harbor?They had great burgers and you cuold have a tap beer in a frozen mug!
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Wetson's 2008/04/24 16:19:27 (permalink)
The former Roslyn Wetsons still stands as well. It is on the north side of Northern Blvd and is also part of a used car complex. I saw a building near the Bayport LIRR station this past summer that I was also pretty sure was a former Wetsons.
JeannieG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Wetson's 2008/05/07 20:18:55 (permalink)
The hamburger place at the 347 split was definitely Hubies Hamburgers during the 60's. My brothers and sister and I would beg my father to "HTH...Head to Hubies:):)" before getting on Nesconset Hwy...Mmmmmm...It's now a pool store
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Wetson's 2008/05/08 10:18:09 (permalink)
Welcome to the forums Jeannie.
hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Wetson's 2008/05/08 10:25:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JeannieG

The hamburger place at the 347 split was definitely Hubies Hamburgers during the 60's. My brothers and sister and I would beg my father to "HTH...Head to Hubies:):)" before getting on Nesconset Hwy...Mmmmmm...It's now a pool store

Same exact story here, JeannieG! The memories at that great place!
The thick shakes and the roast chicken dinners, the burgers....wow!
The roast chicken & fries dinners were like 59 cents. Fries, burgers for something like 15 cents, more or less? I remember the shakes were really something special and I remember them being 25 cents. Didn't that location become a Wetson's afterwards? I could be mistaken - if you don't know then I'll ask my brother. Going to Hubie's is one of my best memories from childhood. Nice to hear from you!
JeannieG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Wetson's 2008/05/08 18:13:41 (permalink)
Hmmm...I lived on LI from 1963 - 1986. Worked in the County offices in Hauppauge during the early 70's so I would pass that intersection every day going home and can't say I remember a Wetson's being there,just the pool store after Hubies. Let me know what you find out. Ah, the shakes! Definitely had to have a shake with those yummy burgers:)

khennings
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/08/10 21:39:55 (permalink)
i grew up 4 o 5 blocks from the wetson's in Elizabeth,N.J. (on st. george ave.) on opening day
they gave away hambergers for free. my friends and i were on line all day.i think i got about
20 burgers that day(one at a time). i have not thought about that day in along time.
k. hennings
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1