Wetson's

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Chiefb52430
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Wetson's 2005/04/15 13:48:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

Funny to hear about your brother's Jack in the Box adventure!

Other eating highlights from my youth were the Arby's further north on Deer Park ave. They recently opened a White Castle up that way.

Those were in the days when fast food was still new and a great novelty.

Arby's was up towards bayshore rd and deer park ave??
near St. Cyril's Church and school??
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: Wetson's 2005/04/29 21:02:37 (permalink)
I grew up in Brooklyn, and as I recall Wetson's was the FIRST of the National fast food chains to open up there. This was in the late 60's, they opened a store just across from King's plaza on Flatbush Ave. Mcdonalds didn't come along until a few years later. Wetson's immediately became the late night stop-of-choice for us inebriated older teens driving (yes,driving) up Flatbush avenue after a night of carousing at the bars in Rockaway.

To the early poster who mentioned thier generous contributions to MD, funny you should mention that. My recollection is the exact opposite. I distinctly remember one year (1969 maybe) when the owner (was his name Wetson?) came on and contributed something like $5,000. A short while later a representative from McDonalds came out and contributed $100,000. And the rest was history. ---Ken
big22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Wetson's 2005/05/09 13:53:53 (permalink)
I used to take the (old) 107 bus past the one on Forest ave & Morningstar Rd., but I don' remember the one on Hylan and BURGHER.
Never ate there, though.
DerangedMetsFan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Wetson's 2005/05/15 13:33:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Chiefb52430

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

Funny to hear about your brother's Jack in the Box adventure!

Other eating highlights from my youth were the Arby's further north on Deer Park ave. They recently opened a White Castle up that way.

Those were in the days when fast food was still new and a great novelty.

Arby's was up towards bayshore rd and deer park ave??
near St. Cyril's Church and school??

The Arby's building is now Nathan's. And the Jack in the Box building is now Checkers.
villar
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2005/10/02 12:59:26 (permalink)
Coincidence. I grew up in Westbury, just down the street from you. After a day at Jones Beach in the early 1970's we would pull the convertible up to the Wetson's on Old Country Road, near the Wantaugh Parkway off ramp. We always had the same thing: Cheesburger, fries and a vanilla shake, and ate them right there in the convertible under the summer sun with the AM radio playing. I can still hear the Four Seasons singing "Sherry Baby" (or is it Cherie Baby?)
quote:
Originally posted by albinoni

I remember as a kid growing up in Levittown, LI--Wetson's opened up on Hemptead Turnpike sometime around 1961, I think--it was the first, followed by a McD a few months later. Their burgers were 15 cents--I think cheeseburgers were 17 cents. My mother drove us over there, and the crowd was enormous. We didn't stick around, but went back a few weeks later. I remember that the burger was the tiniest thing I'd ever seen in a bun--I think the pickle slice was bigger. Didn't look anything like the photos.

Charlie
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Wetson's 2005/10/02 18:38:25 (permalink)
I'm under the impression that no one needs to worry about the owners of Wetson's. As far as I know, they now own two chains in NYC, Tony's di Napoli and Dallas BBQ. I've eaten in both, numerous times. They're not great, but they are consistent, and the service (much more so in Tony's)is excellent, and the prices (much more so in Dallas BBQ) are very reasonable.

They must take the cash out of these joints in dumptrucks. I have no doubt that the original Tony's on Second Avenue can serve, especially in the summer when the outdoor cafe is open, well over a thousand meals an evening, and I could be low on this estimate.

I think the owners' name is Weston.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Wetson's 2005/10/02 23:33:23 (permalink)
In my early driving days, in the mid 1960s, I and my buddies from Newark, NJ, frequented the Wetsons on Rahway Ave.in Elizabeth, NJ, mostly as an excursion into foreign territory. It pre-dated the appearance of our first McDonald's, Route #22 East, Union, NJ. It was merely an alternative to the numerous choices of White Castles (Five Points, Union, being the best locale) we often visited. Natch, we preferred the white boxes. Memories of the arrival of Burger King (and Ginos before that) are very hazy.
LordDarthVader
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/05/23 04:13:04 (permalink)
I lived in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn and my Wetsons was at the corner of Utica avenue and Farragut road. My house was on East 48th street and Wetsons was just a short walk away. I made that walk often...
triviagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Wetson's 2007/07/30 18:24:40 (permalink)
I clealy remember the Wetson's on Rahway Ave in Elizabeth. I remember a hamburger place on the corner of Stiles Street and Morris Avenue in Elizabeth. Does anyone remember if it was a Wetson's? If it wasn't a Wetson's does anyone remember what it was?
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Wetson's 2007/08/20 16:42:00 (permalink)
I loved the Wetsons in Hicksville at the corner of Old Country Rd and Levittown parkway. Wasn't their big burger called a Big W? Was this an imitation of Mickey D's or was Mickey D imitating Wetsons or was the name similarity (Big W v Big Mac) a coincidence? Also preceding Wetsons there was a hamburger place in Hicksville on Old Country Rd near the intersection of Newbridge and Old Country Roads. I was a little kid but I'm pretty sure it was called Edward's.It was in a strip mall that is across the road from what was then a catering place called Old Country Manor and was later called Antoine's, don't know what its called now. Well Wetson's did them in before Mickey D's did the same to Wetsons and in fact the owners of Edwards painted the place Orange and White so it would look like Wetsons.
Dan1
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/08/27 13:44:11 (permalink)
I remember a few Weston's in Brooklyn. Empire Blvd near Flatbush Avenue, Flatbush Avenue & Ave U or V, 86 Street & 7 Avenue, and Bay Parkway & Belt Parkway.

86 Street became, and still is, a Nathan's. Bay Parkway became a Roy Rogers amomg other things. Don't know what happened to the other locations.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
RE: Wetson's 2007/08/27 14:32:07 (permalink)
In the late 1960's/early 1970's there was a Wetson's on Northern Boulevard in Manhasset or Roslyn (not sure which town it was in). From Port Washington (where I grew up) that was the closest fast food restaurant and we were smitten with it. Pretty soon a Burger King opened up further east on Northern Boulevard in Glen Cove, and that became the fast food restaurant of choice. No McD's anywhere near us, those two were our closest fast food choices -- other than a Chicken Delite in Port Washington that I worked at part time in high school. Came home smelling like grease every night.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Wetson's 2007/08/27 15:38:07 (permalink)
I don't think there was ever a post that engendered so many new members.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Wetson's 2007/08/31 16:16:39 (permalink)
About all those new members,

If you google Wetson's, this site is the first result you see. I think a lot of people got to talking and asked "I wonder whatever happened to Wetson's?" Most people don't remember that Wetson's was acquired by Nathan's. But, I'm not sure if they were initially acquired by Nathan's in 1975, or just acted as franchisees for a while. In fact, a few months after my then-local Wetson's on Flushing Avenue in Maspeth was converted, I saw the manager of the restaurant handing out paychecks that clealy had Wetson's name printed on them. In any event, all the stores were just not boarded up one day.

There aren't any Wetson's tribute websites out there, so people come here.

Edited to inclue ownership info.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Wetson's 2007/09/29 16:10:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

In the late 1960's/early 1970's there was a Wetson's on Northern Boulevard in Manhasset or Roslyn (not sure which town it was in).

I think the building is still there. It is part of a car dealership and the old Wetsons is in the used car lot. I was a CW Post student in the 60's and stopped there often. Further east on 25A on the south side was a bar called 'The Knotty Knee'; the 'Good Rats' used to play there. I heard at one time it was a brothel and now it is a kitchen remodeling place. Times change.
dfox123
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Wetson's 2007/11/25 12:50:49 (permalink)
I as well remember the Wetsons on Old COuntry Road at the intersection of Levittown Parkway. It became a number of things, Titus Oaks being the most memorable. It is now a Dunkin Donuts.

I remember the french fries most vividly. Limp, greasy and salty (don't get the wrong idea, this is a FOND memory).

There was some clown dude mascot "Sonny Wetson" ? Maybe he morphed into Ronald McDonald ?

My current favorite fries are Nathan's. Especially the burnt crispy ones.

Cheers
dfox123
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/11/25 13:18:44 (permalink)
Here's a link to a picture

http://www.alphaomegatheta.com/photo_gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1138
dfox123
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2007/11/25 13:24:23 (permalink)
image link

http://oldstatenisland.tripod.com/Wetson's.jpg
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Wetson's 2007/12/02 09:13:50 (permalink)
One bizarre footnote on the history of Wetson's is that Errol Wetson (or is it Wettenson?) was the first husband to Margaux Hemingway.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D00EED61339F930A35754C0A960958260

Another interesting article where Errol and Margaux are mentioned on the last page...
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,917429-1,00.html
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Wetson's 2007/12/13 17:09:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

In the late 1960's/early 1970's there was a Wetson's on Northern Boulevard in Manhasset or Roslyn (not sure which town it was in).

I think the building is still there. It is part of a car dealership and the old Wetsons is in the used car lot. I was a CW Post student in the 60's and stopped there often. Further east on 25A on the south side was a bar called 'The Knotty Knee'; the 'Good Rats' used to play there. I heard at one time it was a brothel and now it is a kitchen remodeling place. Times change.

You're right - I lived in Manhasset for about 15 years and my Grandparents lived there when I was a kid. The site of Wetson's is a used car place and the building is still there. The place a few blocks east that is now a kitchen place used to be a hotel - probably not the type you bring you bring luggage to!
Flavum
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/08/04 11:01:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pizzastoner

Another long gone chain, Wetson's. Anyone? It's so vague in my memory,I almost think I dreamt it.It was like Mickey D's, Only not as good.The one in my hometown, Stamford Ct. was closed after several food poisoning incidents. The location became a Nathan's, then a local hot dog stand, a bank, now Donut Delight the local Dunkin Donut nemesis.

Yes, I frequented the Glenbrook (Stamford) Wetson's as a young boy in the very early '70s! I especially liked their burgers because they put finely chopped onions on them, as well as pickle slices. My best friend and I would stuff ourselves for under $1. I'd never heard about the food poisoning incidents and just assumed that Nathan's, the parent company, took over for corporate reasons. Fond memories indeed!
Markoneill
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/10/06 23:49:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mitros

We had a Wetsons hamburger restaurant in Elizabeth, N.J., many, many years ago. What stood out to me was the fact that their french fries were made fresh on site. They had this huge electric potatoe peeler againest the left hand side of the kitchen, and you could see the operater making french fries out of actual potatoes!
I also recall the yellow color of their hamburger buns,{the first potatoe buns?} I certainly, and IMHO, don't think that Mcdonalds was better. Whenever I go back to visit N.J., I still stop in and have a hot dog at the Nathan's that went up when they bought out Wetsons. And after White Castle, Wetsons was the first burger chain that I remmember.
Markoneill
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/10/06 23:50:04 (permalink)
I live right behind Wetsons, 33 Colonial RD
quote:
Originally posted by mitros

We had a Wetsons hamburger restaurant in Elizabeth, N.J., many, many years ago. What stood out to me was the fact that their french fries were made fresh on site. They had this huge electric potatoe peeler againest the left hand side of the kitchen, and you could see the operater making french fries out of actual potatoes!
I also recall the yellow color of their hamburger buns,{the first potatoe buns?} I certainly, and IMHO, don't think that Mcdonalds was better. Whenever I go back to visit N.J., I still stop in and have a hot dog at the Nathan's that went up when they bought out Wetsons. And after White Castle, Wetsons was the first burger chain that I remmember.
potato222
Junior Burger
RE: Wetson's 2008/11/09 13:40:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by colt4x5

remember wetson's? i'll never forget!
glen street in glen cove.
right next to a movie theater.
until the late 60s, the city supported three movie theaters (big, cavernous ones where the soundtracks echoed, not the ka-chunk cookie-cutter wannabes of nowadays), a wetson's and the greatest luncheonette on the island: henry's, where they made REAL burgers (as well as their own chocolate bunnies at easter).
my brother hated henry's beause the burgers were too fat and juicy. he only ate burgers from wetson's. he wouldn't even eat a burger mom cooked, unless it was "just like wetson's" ... flat, gray, cooked to within an inch of its life and smothered with ketchup.
wetson's was razed and is now a strip mall.
the theater was razed and is now a gas station.

Colt, I remember that Glen Cove Wetson's too. And of course those great movie theaters as well. The Glen Cove Theater was on one side of it and The Town Theater on the other. I could never keep it straight in my mind which one was which when I was a kid, but have since found out that 'Town' was to the left of Wetson's (and like you said was torn down), and the 'Glen Cove' was to the right of it and that building actually still stands today. It became a CVS for a while and not sure what it's being used for now.

As far as the spot where the Wetson's was, isn't that the same spot where the McDonald's is now? I hated to see Wetson's go at the time, but once I had my first quarter pounder I have to admit I was pretty ok with change.

About the Wetson's burgers, though... you mentioned ketchup but for some reason all I can remember about those things was the mustard on them. I could be way off here because I was a little kid at the time and maybe I'm just not remembering right, but does anyone know if Wetson's used to use mustard as a standard topping on their regular burgers?
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/02 21:12:03 (permalink)
potato222About the Wetson's burgers, though... you mentioned ketchup but for some reason all I can remember about those things was the mustard on them. I could be way off here because I was a little kid at the time and maybe I'm just not remembering right, but does anyone know if Wetson's used to use mustard as a standard topping on their regular burgers?
I don't remember mustard at all, at least at the Levittown store...

MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/02 21:16:44 (permalink)
BTW, welcome to Roadfood potato222. Coincidentally, I was in that area of GC today...
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/02 22:57:58 (permalink)
Scallion1

I'm under the impression that no one needs to worry about the owners of Wetson's. As far as I know, they now own two chains in NYC, Tony's di Napoli and Dallas BBQ. I've eaten in both, numerous times. They're not great, but they are consistent, and the service (much more so in Tony's)is excellent, and the prices (much more so in Dallas BBQ) are very reasonable.

They must take the cash out of these joints in dumptrucks. I have no doubt that the original Tony's on Second Avenue can serve, especially in the summer when the outdoor cafe is open, well over a thousand meals an evening, and I could be low on this estimate.

As I stated in an earlier post, I knew one of the brothers while growing up in the 5 Towns during the 50's. The family name is, Wettinson. 
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/03 15:53:25 (permalink)
Twinwillow

Scallion1

As I stated in an earlier post, I knew one of the brothers while growing up in the 5 Towns during the 50's. The family name is, Wettinson.

Hey Twinwillow, where in the 5 Towns? I grew up in Hewlett...we moved there from Far Rockaway. I went to Hewlett Elem...Woodmere JHS and then Hewlett HS. I graduated form HS in 1979...went to school with Liza...part of the Wettinson family I believe.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/03 19:06:38 (permalink)
LindaW

Twinwillow

Scallion1

Hey Twinwillow, where in the 5 Towns? I grew up in Hewlett...we moved there from Far Rockaway. I went to Hewlett Elem...Woodmere JHS and then Hewlett HS. I graduated form HS in 1979...went to school with Liza...part of the Wettinson family I believe.

I lived in Cedarhurst and Woodmere during the 50's. I went to the #5 (elementary) school and then to Lawrence High School. Graduating (in the late Central theater) in 1958.
My cousin was very good friends with Errol Wettinson. I also lived in Far Rockaway. For a short time before moving to the 5 Towns.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Wetson's 2009/01/04 10:31:01 (permalink)
There is still a 'Carl Wetanson' on Links Road in Woodmere.  And Linda, Toddy's is still a fixture on Central Ave.  Here is a link to a dated page on Cedarhurst you both may enjoy.

http://www.ade-re.com/1959/rodeo/drive.htm

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1