What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 143
aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
  • Reward points : 0
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 08/18/04 6:23 PM
I'm not sure about Fred's steak, but I do have a great marinade that makes the steak "black": I use it on london broil for the most part and it makes this less expensive cut of meat wonderful after marinating for a day or two:

1 10 oz bottle of Gravy Master (Gravy Browning Sauce)
1/2 oz Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 Beau Monde seasoning (I've seen it in gourmet stores or some Shop Rite's)

The Beau Monde might be a little hard to find, but it's worth it!!

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2936
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 08/18/04 10:56 PM
I tried something that is new to me, but I guess was the thing nouveau a while back; we had "flatiron" steaks last night. I was very impressed. They were very tender, but also lean, and also very savory, much like sirlion. I grilled them with a sprinkling of Canadian seasoning, to medium rare.

Tom

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 11/4/04 8:20 PM
I like NY strip on the grill as my favorite. I've made it with just salt and pepper and I've tried marinating them in commercial marinades and marinades I made myself. I decided just plain was the best.
My wife likes porterhouse best. I usually fix one of each.

carl reitz

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 11/4/04 8:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

For me a thick cut Porterhouse, about 1.5 inches or roughly 1.75 lb seems to work best for a great steak. My wife loves the filet, and I get the 'left' side strip. Very light or no seasoning prior to grilling. Dinner for two.
If you could (or do) choose your favorite cut to grill, or order when on the road, what would it be?

Al, I prefer the ribeye above all else, with a T bone 2nd.

Dennis in Cary

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15066
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 11/4/04 9:12 PM
Dennis,
When ordering in a restaurant I often go with your choice. i find that unless I know the place well, that the RibEye will be a more tender cut that what some places get for Porterhouse. However If I know the Place, and it does a porterhouse properly, I will go with the larger!!
Note- Even without a Gall-Bladder I can do it if I am careful not to 'wolf' it down like I used to do !!! If i rush myself, I will pay the price many times over for the next couple of days.

speechpeach
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 11/7/04 4:55 PM
Ribeye for me, or New York Strip, T bone, Porterhouse or Sirloin. Either with just salt and pepper, garlic butter, or marinated in something that contains wine, garlic, olive oil, etc...Medium rare for me, always...

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 11/7/04 5:32 PM
My favorite is a nice NY strip steak, but ribeye is a close second. Wait, maybe it's actually a tie. Darn, I can't pick. Then there's filet, porterhouse, T bone, and all those other great cuts. When grilled right, and with good meat, who cares.

robicheaux
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/25/04 2:25 PM
T-Bone or Porterhouse

May I suggest Lobel's in NY for the best Prime Beef mailed anywhere.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/25/04 2:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

My favorite is a nice NY strip steak, but ribeye is a close second. Wait, maybe it's actually a tie. Darn, I can't pick. Then there's filet, porterhouse, T bone, and all those other great cuts. .

Aha!:

"When grilled right, and with good meat, who cares"....

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/25/04 2:40 PM
While the cut does make a difference, the thickness and the cooking is so important. Steak is so easy to overcook and so disappointing when done so. A thick steak needs to be removed from the heat before it is done because it will continue to cook for awhile. So pick your steak and then pay attention at the grill.

mistertawny
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 12/26/04 3:37 PM
I agree that the attention at the grill is just as important as the meat itself. That said, you can't go worng with any well marbeled meat, but you have to make sure and marinate with citrus (destroy the connective tissue so no "clinginess"), and watch as you cook. A good fast sear then a few minutes per side until desired donenes is reached. Also don't forget to let the meat rest (before eating take it off the grill and let it sit for about 5 or so minutes) before digging in. It lets the juices settle and makes it even more tasty.

If you want a bit of insurance put a light coat of either virgin olive oil or a lightly flavored olive oil (I like garlic) on the steak. Do not use BUTTER. It is too easy to burn, especially at the temps a good grill is capable of.

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 12/26/04 4:25 PM
I prefer a 1.5" top sirloin. Seems like it cooks well on the grill and it's leaner than most cuts. Tastes good too!

keef richards
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 12/30/04 8:23 PM
i have not seen the filet mentioned. if you buy a filet at least 1-1/2 thick cook on a charcoal grill 5mins a side turn once let rest for five min it is great. the porter house is proably the best. cooking over charcoal is the trick, no lighter fluid either a chimmney or electric heating element. lump charcoal and hickory seems to provide a great amount of heat and flavor. after about 20 mins or so you should only be able to hold your hand over the grill
for a second( also great way to make grilled pizza) almost any steak
worth grilling is about 5mins a side then rest or put off to side of grill for a couple of mins to finish slowly for those who insist that i will get sick from eating a rare steak.cooking technique seems to be as important as the cut of meat.

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Fri, 12/31/04 12:48 AM
My kids love my marinated flank steak, but I prefer a nice thick NY Strip.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Fri, 12/31/04 9:10 AM
I'm grilling NY strips this evening. I have them marinating in a garlic sauce as I write. I don't always like to marinate but thought I'd take a chance on this today. Will grill veggies as well and should be a good evening for New Year's Eve.

ladytenor
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 01/22/05 5:23 PM
When I go to the steakhouse, I get a Filet of Tenderloin of Beef, medium rare.
My father-in-law grills steaks, usually T-bone but he did Porterhouse once. He bastes them with a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and melted butter. I get mine with just the melted butter so I can taste the beef better. Only "beef" I have with how he does it is that my mother in law insists that the steaks be well-done without a hint of pink showing, and I like mine medium rare which she won't let him do. She throws an absolute fit if he fixes what she terms "uncooked" or "raw" steak. His steaks do turn out nice and tender, though...better than you would think for well-done steaks.

robicheaux
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 01/22/05 5:25 PM
grounds for divorce lady

Seriousfoody
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 02/17/05 11:30 AM
Strips or rib-eyes are really good but so is a flank steak grilled over high heat to rare. My personal favorite is skirt steak if you can find it. It is usually well marbled and has an intense beefy, mineral flavor. Grill it the same way as flank (you do not have to marinade, just S&P) and slice thinly across the grain. It has more flavor than many luxury cuts.

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 02/17/05 1:39 PM
Prime aged porterhouse, 2 inches thick. 2 level hardwood charcoal fire. Touch of wood smoke, but only after the flip. Coarse salt immediately after grilling, then let rest for at least 10 min. Martini before (very cold), Tignaello with.

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 02/17/05 1:45 PM
1 1/2 inch,either porterhouse,t-bone or Delmonico. the only reason the NY strip isn't included is strictly a choice on my part(with a cholesteral reading of 93,thats right 93,) as it doen't have enough fat,which I enjoy.......fire must be real hot then cooked 'Pittsburg'style,the old black and blue........I usually take potato 'boulders' and put them into the grill before adding charcoal,no potato can match it(memories of going skating in Maine when we would build a big fire and do the same).....

Boss 302
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 02/24/05 6:23 AM
The NY strip and the T-bone are the same piece of meat.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 02/24/05 11:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 302

The NY strip and the T-bone are the same piece of meat.

You might find these definitions interesting:
http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?code=77
http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?code=63

Looks like the strip and t-bone share the same piece of loin but the strip has no tenderloin.

It's probably a good thing my boss won't let me have a grill in my office...

Brad

SouthHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 02/26/05 12:41 AM
What cut does it best? They all do. Depends on what you like or feel like having.
My wife only wants a fillet, two inches thick minimum and only waved across the grill.
I like all sorts of steaks. . . for a really full flavor, it's hard to beat a big ol bone in porterhouse. For a tasty big steak that, if cooked and cut properly will be fairly tender, a sirloin is great and a good value. . . T-bones are nice but I've always thought the mouthfuls per pound per dollar ratio was a bit low for the quality.
Man, a nice flank steak cooked right will melt in your mouth with a VERY robust and slightly different flavor.
Rib eye is the opposite of a t-bone in that you get a lot of good steak for a good mouthfulls per pound per dollar ratio.
BTW: I have no idea how the hell you calculate "mouthfulls per pound per dollar ratio."
When I was a kid my dad used to get something called silver tips by the box from a local packing house. . . they were the slim end of a fillet. A good sized 8 oz or so piece of meat. He always grilled them. Wow, what a treat they were. . . crisp on the outside, bloody in the middle.

hjbyun
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 03/20/05 7:06 PM
For Steak, porterhouse!!! you need nothing else. The best porterhouse, other than my fab steakhouse (Capital Grill on Penn. Ave not the other branches) is an aged porterhouse @ wegman's.

naclh2o
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 04/10/05 8:05 PM
I used to reside in Palo Alto California and after a few years of eating it, sometimes 3 times a week (yes, it is that good) I was able to break down some of the signifigant flavors.

I went into Schaubs one day, obviously to pick up a fred, and asked the butchers behind the counter if the secret ingredient I had assumed was correct. They smiled, telling me that the secret can never be told. Apparently the original fred, requested to take it to his grave.

After many dinners, I believe the secret ingredient to be[url='http://www.thevegemitesite.com/']shhhh....[/url] . I could be wrong, but I could be right.

I have never tried it myself, as I do not own a tumbler, but I do know they marinade it for 24-48 hours.

Yum.

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 04/23/05 2:58 AM
There isnt anything like a good porterhouse from the local meat market. Made on the Holland grill. If the steak is good I dont need anything on it. If I want prime rib Willies a local supper club is the way to go. Texas Road House is pretty good. We have a lot of good local supper clubs to get a nice piece of steak. London broil froom the local meat market is also great.

plantdetective
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 06/2/05 1:02 PM
Have to say rib eye is my favorite. My wife insists on well done for hers... she really does get sick to here stomach with pink meat.. I have tested here several times. Even if she can't see it it happens, oh well thought it was all in here head. But I must say I do a nice juicy, tender well done steak... for her.

I get two steaks equal thickness and cut one in half to make two thin steaks. The three get a little soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and garlic powder. "Gently placed" on a hot charcol grill until hers is done, mine come out perfect at a medium rare,

We also buy from Sam's when we can't get local, grass fed beef.

Anyone tried milk beef? This is a young steer that is still nursing and maybe just starting to eat a little grass, wow, that is a wondeful, flavorful, tender steak. All the cuts are just wonderful, just a little expensive but worth it even the brisket can be grilled and it is tender.

Paul

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 07/20/05 5:42 PM
Porterhouse is truly the king of steaks as you have a Filet Mignon on one side and a NY Strip on the other. It doesn't get any better than that.

I don't bother with T-bone unless it has been mislabeled and actually is a Porterhouse. In a true T-bone, the loin section is too small to matter.

NY Strip and Rib Eye are favorites as they are frequently on sale and a good value.

Flank steak on the grill? Sure, it's the only true cut for authentic London Broil. Just remember it is best cooked rare and should never be cooked longer than medium rare. Medium and above you will be eating shoe leather.

gruelurks
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Fri, 08/19/05 12:07 AM
Gimme a thick Porterhouse with some Daddy Hinkles marinade anyday!

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 08/27/05 9:17 AM
I think by the pound for dollar value, grilled chuck {bone in} is my prefrence, cooked might I add Pittsburg style. I do love Porter house or Delmonico's just nock the dust off'em and walk them by the grill. What is the difference between skirt, flank, and this relativly new cut called hanger? Chow Jim

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 08/27/05 7:09 PM
I've got two dry-aged prime rib steaks fram Balducci's @ 19.99/lb. Each are one rib, and a little under two pounds a piece. THey are heavily salted and peppered and are about to go on. Corn, home grown tomatoes, and baked potatoes will go along. Kaesler 2003 Stonehorse GSM to drink.

Will report on the results.

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 08/27/05 8:27 PM
Follow-up report: From now on I'm willing to eat steak once a month isntead of once a week if it's this good. The rib steaks rivaled anything I've had at a steakhouse, except for Lugers. I've got a new grill with plenty of BTU's and was able through constant watching and rotating over the four burners to avoid the flare-ups to get both rare without a very heavy char. I usually order my steaks black and blue when out, but with the heat source below, I think the char from a fat fire tastes bad.

Both were cool in the center, and well browned, almost charred but not burned on the outside. The butcher did me a favor in doing a minimal amount of trimming, except for the large to section of fat. Great dry aged mineral tang -- my 13 and 7 year old girls loved it, although the 7 year old had salmon sushi and a salmon roll beforehand because she was hungry.

I'm pretty convinced that I wouldbe willing to eat rice and beans for three weeks so that I can have a steak that really tastes like steak. My wife still comes home with stuff on sale at Stop and Shop, and I cook it and barely eat it. A real steak with the flavor concentrated from dry aging is a revelation. Deprive yourself for a month and ffind a butcher with dry aged beef. Take out a mortgage if you have to...

NYC2SoCal
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 11/16/05 5:02 PM
For the grill, first is porterhouse, second is a NY strip. Both in the 1.5-2" range. If I were to use a cast iron pan, it would be a rib eye, 1.5".

Just kosher salt and Penzeys extra bold black pepper.

mayor al
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 1:04 PM
I am going to bring this topic back up front, rather than start another. Today we picked up some of my favorite Steaks. Once again our local Market had T-Bone/Porterhouse on sale at$4.99 a lb. Rather than take the half to three-quarter inch thick ones piled in the meat case I asked the cutter if he could cut some inch and a halfs...about a dozen of them. That was yesterday. He told me they would be ready at noon today, and they were!

I will set out two, for a Friday night Special supper (today being Tuesday). These two look just fine to serve that purpose!! They weighed in at 1.8 and 2.1 pounds, perfect for a great dinner (and maybe some good scraps for later)

The other 10 are stacked in the refrigerator. Janet is the overseer of the food in storage area, so she will work with me later today on what gets put in the cooler and what goes to the freezer for awhile.

I will try to do a series on the cooking and devouring of these gems as JIM does, but no promises, as I get caught up in the eating rather than the media hype ! The dogs were with me on the 'pickup run'. They are aware of the T-Bone rewards and are on their best behavior!

But to sum this up. Here is my favorite type of Steak, and the Price is certainly right!

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 1:24 PM
I love the Porterhouse. When they are on sale, I'll vacuum seal most but I'll leave two out on a rack in the fridge with plenty of paper towels underneath and leave for 5-7 days. They are always outstanding. They must be Choice graded as few supermarkets carry Prime.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 2:00 PM
My grandson is home on leave and has a friend visiting him from Hays, Kansas. Tomorrow night I'm feeding them each a dry-aged, 48-ounce (USDA Prime) porterhouse, along with some roasted potato wedges and roasted asparagus.

I'll rub the steaks with some minced garlic and freshly-grated black pepper. Then I shall marinate them in olive oil and a bit of white wine.

The potato wedges will be tossed with olive oil, garlic granules and pepper, and the asparagus with be drizzled with olive oil, Kosher salt, some pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.

Me? I'm having a small strip steak. Oh, and I have a bottle of Penfold's Koonunga Hill shiraz from Australia. The kid loves Australia so I tried this wine a few weeks ago in anticipation of his arrival. It was good enough for me to go back and get a few more bottles.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1553
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 2:35 PM
Michael-

We are doing the same thing on Christmas Eve- Prime porterhouses from Allen Brothers, with some garlic olive oil and kosher salt and cracked black pepper. We'll have sweet potatoes and then asparagus, which we broil in the oven with olive oil and salt, and then splash with a little balsamic before serving.

My wife has been turned on to the Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz for the past several weeks- We just picked up a case last week. For Christmas, we have friends from Australia staying with us for 6 days, "on their way" to London to live for the next three years.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 4:11 PM
Oh, I never thought about sweet potatoes. I'll have to try that sometime. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who likes that shiraz.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1553
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 4:31 PM
We throw the sweet potatoes on the grill. We bake them first and then finish them on the grill.

Sneetch
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 12/19/06 6:38 PM
...yet another vote for the charcoal-grilled, bone-in ribeye steak, preferably 1 1/2" thick...salt, pepper, and a ton of smashed garlic...

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 12/20/06 10:46 AM
Speaking of Sweet potatoes - From a poster on another forum.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1937dj1.jpg

My favorite steak is a Choice Rib Eye and a 550 degree grill for about three minutes per side topped with garlic butter.

John

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 12/20/06 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by saps

Michael-

We are doing the same thing on Christmas Eve- Prime porterhouses from Allen Brothers, with some garlic olive oil and kosher salt and cracked black pepper. We'll have sweet potatoes and then asparagus, which we broil in the oven with olive oil and salt, and then splash with a little balsamic before serving.

My wife has been turned on to the Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz for the past several weeks- We just picked up a case last week. For Christmas, we have friends from Australia staying with us for 6 days, "on their way" to London to live for the next three years.

Regarding that Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz, I just bought a few bottles at Costco to try. Robert Parker rates the '04 a 91. Only paid $17.99 a bottle at Costco.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 12/20/06 11:34 AM
For me, a 1-1/2" thick prime, dry aged strip done "charred & pink" on my grill.
Just (kosher) salt and fresh cracked pepper.
I let them sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Ahh, food for the gods!
And, oh yes, a big red wine to enjoy with our steaks.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 12/20/06 12:40 PM
Al

Those are some mighty fine looking steaks, and should do very nicely on the grill.

For mine you can grill it rare - med rare, sea salt and cracked black pepper or maybe some cajun seasoning.

I will even bring the bottle of chivas royal salute I just got as a christmas gift.

Larry Wolfe
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 12/21/06 7:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John A

My favorite steak is a Choice Rib Eye and a 550 degree grill for about three minutes per side topped with garlic butter.

John

Wow, those were my taters!! Here's more pic's if anyone is interested. I rubbed them with oil then sprinkle Original Wolfe Rub on them and grilled till done. We also had some bone in rib steaks, grilled onion and asparagus!

genewj
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Thu, 12/21/06 7:52 PM
I like it just like #1 except i like it about 2 1/2 to 3" thick..Wife like the filet met the rest, the cats fight over the bone..My second choice is a tri tip grilled to med. rare and thin sliced and then dipped in a soy, flavored sauce using orange peel.

John A
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/23/06 7:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe

quote:

Wow, those were my taters!! Here's more pic's if anyone is interested. I rubbed them with oil then sprinkle Original Wolfe Rub on them and grilled till done. We also had some bone in rib steaks, grilled onion and asparagus!

Larry Wolfe
----------------
www.wolferub.com

Hey Larry,

Welcome, how did you find your way over here? It's a great site, you're going to enjoy it.

BTW, the food looks as good now as it did before.

John

Larry Wolfe
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/23/06 7:49 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe

quote:

Larry Wolfe
----------------
www.wolferub.com

Hey Larry,

Welcome, how did you find your way over here? It's a great site, you're going to enjoy it.

BTW, the food looks as good now as it did before.

John

Thanks John! Captain Morgan told me about this site!! Very nice here!!

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/23/06 8:08 AM
I still will have to go with a marinated skirt steak with a Greek salad.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/23/06 10:06 AM
This week the Royal-Ahold chain of grocery stores is offering partial bone-in rib roast for 4.99 a lb.
By partial bone in they cut the sternum bone off but left the rib bone on the roast. I bought about 12 lbs worth. I left 1 3 bone roast whole but the others got cut into steaks about 1.5" thick and then they and the roast were sealed up with the vacuum sealer and frozen.

Up until a couple months ago I could cook one of these good sized steaks for PP, Ava and myself. Now Ava has gotten to where she'll eat half of one by herself.

I like to grill the steaks and do some shrimp on the barbie at the same time. Add some veggies and a spud and you've got my favorite meal.

MikeS.

MikeS.
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 12/23/06 10:08 AM
Al, those steaks look very good. If they had much more marbling I'd say they would be considered prime.

MikeS.

mayor al
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 12/24/06 9:09 AM
They sure had plenty of good Beefy flavor! We will do four more when one of the offspring and her family show up next week for a couple of days. Treating the Kids to this sort of steak is not only fun, it is a money saver compared to taking them (4 adults and two small kids) out to a steak dinner somewhere.

John A
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 12/24/06 5:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

They sure had plenty of good Beefy flavor! We will do four more when one of the offspring and her family show up next week for a couple of days. Treating the Kids to this sort of steak is not only fun, it is a money saver compared to taking them (4 adults and two small kids) out to a steak dinner somewhere.

You've got that right, talk about a wallet buster!!!

John

MikeS.
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sun, 12/24/06 11:34 PM
Around here Outback is the best placve for steak. A ribeye there is at least $18. I bought 3+ lbs for that price this week. I'd much rather cook a good steak at home.

MikeS.

mayor al
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Mon, 12/25/06 10:54 AM
Yeah figure $25 per dinner (Outback or Roadhouse level restaurant) by the time you do the add-ons and tip.
My steaks ran about $10 each and , maybe a buck for the potato and veggie and the cooking fuel. Granted I work cheap and haven't factored in the overhead, but it is easy to see that it is cheaper by about half to do it at home, where you control the process a lot more than if you let someone else do it.

There are pros and cons for the 'home-grilled' vs the 'restaurant quality'. We do both, but at the holiday time my kids like to 'invite themselves over' to get Dad to grill up some of this Beef. I guess it just tastes better than the frozen pizza's that seem to be the core of some of the younger folks diet these days!

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 05/27/08 1:08 PM
Skirt Steak! (beef diaphragm).

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1791
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 07/1/08 10:31 AM
I'm prone to a thick cut ribeye, rubbed down in olive oil, S&P, and a little rosemary, thyme, & oregano. Thow it on the hottest part of the grill for 4-5 min a side for a good crust, finish it off in the cool spot, and keep it rare.

With an ice cold beerverage or two.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6082
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Tue, 07/1/08 10:50 AM
Porterhouse..or a nice New York Strip

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6246
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Wed, 07/2/08 12:35 AM
Any cut that is dry-aged CERTIFIED Black Angus. Lots of steaks have the "Black Angus" label on them but they have to be CERTIFIED Angus. The meat comes wrapped in butcher's paper and has "fur" on it. Trim the "fur" away and grill. You can special order them from your butcher.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? - Sat, 08/22/09 12:25 PM
We've been marinating ribeyes in Pappy's XXX BBQ sauce and grilling them medium/rare on the good old Weber's charcoal grill and enjoying them with fresh sliced better boy tomatoes from the garden on the side as well as mashed or baked sweet potatoes or an ear of sweet corn.  It's been good...............

Andrea

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 143