What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Dempsey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 13:12:49 (permalink)
PS
Ive been on an Atkins diet for about 3 weeks and have lost close to 20lbs...just had my cholesterol checked and its lower than when I started.

Ill be having alot of steak...just picked up 10 NY Strips, 10 Delmonicos and 4 porterhouse at my fav meat mkt and ill be expreimenting for the next week or so.

Yeah!

Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 13:58:17 (permalink)
T-Bone or porterhouse marinated in "Pirates Gold" grilled to VERY rare, in fact I eat half of mine before it ever hits heat....light dusting of coarse ground steak seasoning after what's left gets to my plate.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 14:17:07 (permalink)
We love rib steaks or strips. An Italian butcher in the Italian market section of Philadelphia told me that the best way to get a nice rare steak was to let them soak in olive oil (and garlic if one likes the flavor) all day long and then do them on a very hot grill....the results are grand. You have a nicely charred outside and beautiful red inside and they taste as good as a steakhouse steak!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 14:23:38 (permalink)
Garlic and olive oil always goes together where I'm concerned. I'll most definetly give that a try. My husband on the other hand will probably pass as he likes his more of a medium(very light pink!). I'm working on him though. He trys to grill mine the way I like it and it gets so over cooked(I don't want cooked)I don't even want it, him yes, myself no. We usually end up in "grill wars" because I want to do my own, so steak comes every so often. Sad huh? I tried asking him to put his on first, then mine later, or mine first while the grill is hotter, it just doesn't work out. THe only DECENT place around here to get a steak would be Outback ot Roadhouse. We have no good steak houses as I have read about on this site.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4091
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 14:54:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

We love rib steaks or strips. An Italian butcher in the Italian market section of Philadelphia told me that the best way to get a nice rare steak was to let them soak in olive oil (and garlic if one likes the flavor) all day long and then do them on a very hot grill....the results are grand. You have a nicely charred outside and beautiful red inside and they taste as good as a steakhouse steak!

Marcella Hazan writes about that technique and how it makes an unbelievably delicious steak. I think I'm going to try it with a porterhouse.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7058
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 18:51:33 (permalink)
T-bone or rib steak, rubbed with garlic, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and done.......rare of course. Accompaniments? Easy! A "handgrenade potato" and a huge tossed salad with red wine vinaigrette. Simple and yummy.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/09 21:28:02 (permalink)
Gotta go with a ribeye...a nice thick one with good marbling from my local farmers' market. Rare, thankyouverymuch. With a nice merlot.

There's a newscaster on NPR whose name sounds for all the world like 'Steak Paprikash'...I hear the name and go into a Homer Simpson drooling reverie.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/14 06:59:45 (permalink)
Never met a steak i didnt like! well---that is as along as you start with a quality peice of beef in the first place and cook it so it has a chance to bite back! Well done steak isnt steak--its leather!
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/14 13:57:21 (permalink)
Gotta go with a thick well marbled rib eye on a super hot grill cooked to a medium rare on the rare side.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4091
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/14 15:06:09 (permalink)
I did try the marinating with olive oil and garlic this weekend. Did it with some reasonably thick New York Strip steaks. Only extra was a few grinds of pepper. Surprisingly, steaks did not flare any more than usual. The taste was delicious when cooked to medium rare!
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/14 15:28:31 (permalink)
I like almost any steak cooked out on charcoal, but a couple of my favorites are:
Prime rib, (standing rib roast), cut an inch thick off the rack, marinated in a soy sauce/worchestershire/ garlic powder marinade for a day or so in the fridge. Then, cooked out on a very hot charcoal fire, searing the outside and keeping the inside rare to medium rare. Fatty, but full of flavor.

The other is an aged boneless sirloin. We have a great grocery chain here in Minneapolis/St Paul Minnesota called Lund's. They have excellent aged meat. I like to take a couple of these large beauties with me on a camping trip and cut off pieces to make strips of steak with eggs for breakfast and to grill on an open fire for dinner. seasoned with sweet paprika, garlic, onion and pepper.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/10/14 17:02:21 (permalink)
thick BONE-IN rib eye, with pepper, garlic, done rare to medium rare, not a degree more.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2003/11/15 03:34:06 (permalink)
I too have gotta go with the ribeye. A lil garlic powder and a lil pepper over charcoal to medium.

The wife and oldest like theirs marinaded in teriyaki and grilled to medium. I want to taste the beef.

MikeS.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 14:47:32 (permalink)
TIE in our family! Flank Steak and Rib Eye! I agree that the KEY to a great London Broil is how you slice it! Against the grain is imperative after it sits for a while. Here is our favorite marinade straight outa the Weber Kettle Cook book. I always double this recipe and marinate overnight.

1/4 C Vegetable Oil (Most times I use Olive Oil)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed and chopped. (I use more)
3 Tablespoons of minced scallions
Few drops of Tabasco Sauce

Combine all of the above in a bowl, mix, and pour over meat.

As others said, no more than 4 or 5 minutes per side over hot charcoal.
We like it with a good salad, french bread, good red wine, baked potatoes.

Don
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 15:03:52 (permalink)
Thick, juicy ribeyes are incredible. So are whole, bone-in sirloins, if you can get them in Choice or Prime Black Angus. Hard to find bone-in sirloins anymore, at least here in Mid-Missouri. Try to get a pinbone cut with good marbling, a big eye and a nice rind of fat around the top. An inch-and-a-half-thick steak will weigh 2 pounds or better. You'll have to serve it on a platter instead of a plate!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 16:11:11 (permalink)
We get all of our meat at SAM's or a local meat market (Tony's) here near Denver. SAM's and the market have USDA Choice vs. the awfully lean supermarket varieties that would register zero on a fat scanner. SAM's and the Market will also cut some for you (thicker or thinner) if you ask.

The market, when we go there, also ages their beef and you can tell with the darker maroon color vs. the supermarket variety that is so brite red you have to wear sunglasses when looking in the meat case.

Many supermarkets now have "Gourmet" areas where you can get meat like Black Angus but take out a second mortgage before you go there. Never tried them as we have our other sources. They always looked thin to me, an inch thick at best.

Nothing against "Fat Watchers", or Supermarkets, but when you have a taste for a great steak you gotta have a great marbled piece of meat to start with. "Garbage in, garbage out" is what I always say and "Anything in moderation is OK for yah, including fat" IMHO.

Don
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 16:28:42 (permalink)
I gotta go with Al's choice of the porterhouse. I like the idea of getting to different types of beef on the same cut. Sirloin on one side and a tenderloin on the other. No doubt that this is my favorite meal with a salad with either blue cheese or thousand island, baked potato with heavy butter and a meaty red wine preferably a Mondavi.

This particular meal is the number one in my life.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
pfarmer241
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 19:41:41 (permalink)
Porterhouse is the best for on the grill - No potato - but like the salad. Sam's has great beef. I have purchased beef at our local Sam's club for about 10 years and have never gotten a tough piece of beef.

Peggy
Englewood, FL
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 20:27:46 (permalink)
ever since I started hanging out up in Alberta.Ca.(daughter moved there last summer) I have not wanted to go back to US Prime--Alberta Beef Rocks!!!!! However--here I am back in the good ol'US and I'm going to give up on Sams etc and go straight to my Publix grocery for flank--yes flank--cut (of course across the grain) and marinated with a wonderful combo of soy sauce/honey/green onion/olive oil
Sear both sides for 5 minutes then bring inside and slap a couple of slices of real good blue cheese on top and wait 4-5 minutes and slice(across,again) double yum
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/01/31 20:53:01 (permalink)
Ribeye is definitely the best, however T-bone/porterhouse are pretty darn good as well. Rare to medium rare, always. Seasoning? The cut of meat itself has everything it needs until the grilling is completed.

Wally
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/13 23:05:39 (permalink)
I have found one local supermarket here that consistently cuts some strip steaks that have decent marbling, so that is what I go with. I like the porterhouse, but don't have much luck getting it for home cooking. I use the sear in a skillet and finish in the oven method, if the steaks are thick enough. Just do it completely in the skillet otherwise...
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/13 23:18:33 (permalink)
"What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?" Dear Lord: this sounds like a High School survey of popular dates. Must we answer?
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/14 00:33:19 (permalink)
For me it's a rib eye--there may be a better one, but I will stick with the rib eye pink on the inside chared on the outside.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/18 23:43:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

"What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?" Dear Lord: this sounds like a High School survey of popular dates. Must we answer?

Yes. But watch out for grill marks...
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/19 04:47:02 (permalink)
I'm surprised to hear so many out there buying thier meat at SAM's. Other than the occasional roasted chicken, which I think is pretty good, I've never even considered buying meat there. I'm in an area that is seeing a small explosion of Supercenter's opening up and From what we have tried, and what I've heard other's mention as far as the meat counter goes, we're better off to go to the County Market in the only Town around that has yet to be Blessed with a Supercenter!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/19 10:13:56 (permalink)
Are you maybe confusing Sam's Club with the WalMart Supercenters? I do not care at all for the meats at the WalMart Supercenters, but am generally pleased with what I can get at Sam's.
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/19 10:32:05 (permalink)
I haven't tried Sam's beef, but I steer clear (ahem) of beef from Wal-Mart.

The next time you're inside a Wally World, take a close look at a package of their steaks. In small print on the price sticker, you'll see something that reads like this: "Enhanced with a 10 percent solution."

Solution of what? The label doesn't say.

But I found out, by doing a little research on the Internet and then by confirming my suspicions with a call to Wal-Mart's beef purveyor. Can't remember the name of the chemical, but I have it in my notes somewhere. It's a chemical that does yeoman's duty -- preserving its shelf life and giving it a glistening, reddish appearance, even days after the steak is sliced in a packaging plant hundreds or thousands of miles away from the store.

So the "enhancement" is what allows Wally World to avoid paying union wages to meat cutters in their stores. And it lets them sell "fresh" beef that has been, in a very real sense, chemically preserved.

No, thanks. Not for me.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/19 14:22:16 (permalink)
Thanks Bill---i will pass that on to a friend that insist on buying EVERYTHING at then Giant WallyWorld--another reason for me to stick to local raised home grown,grass fed beef out of that pasture right over there!!--- he said, while pointing out the window.
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/02/19 16:33:13 (permalink)

Not sure I'd get meat at any of the giant boxes; those places just creep me out. Wally World (good one, BillB) particularly has helped destroy more small downtowns than you can imagine. As far as cuts to grill, I'll go with pretty much everything named so far. One that I really like has not been mentioned, though, and that is skirt steak. This cut is used a lot for fajita's and is very flavorful. Like flank, though, it is best cut on the bias. We get it at a Brazilian meat market near us. Brazilians are real beef eaters and are pretty picky, so the quality is very good and not that expensive.
andy van scraam
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/08/18 18:04:13 (permalink)
Does anyone have the inside track on what's inside the famous marinade used to season Fred's steak? Fred's is a Santa Maria tri-tip available through -- and only through -- Schaub's in Palo Alto, Calif. But it's the marinade that makes it - a surprisingly light concoction that renders the steak black all over -- and that's before it hits the coals. Ugly steak; great eatin'. Any G2 would be much appreciated.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1