What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/08/27 19:09:20 (permalink)
I've got two dry-aged prime rib steaks fram Balducci's @ 19.99/lb. Each are one rib, and a little under two pounds a piece. THey are heavily salted and peppered and are about to go on. Corn, home grown tomatoes, and baked potatoes will go along. Kaesler 2003 Stonehorse GSM to drink.

Will report on the results.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/08/27 20:27:49 (permalink)
Follow-up report: From now on I'm willing to eat steak once a month isntead of once a week if it's this good. The rib steaks rivaled anything I've had at a steakhouse, except for Lugers. I've got a new grill with plenty of BTU's and was able through constant watching and rotating over the four burners to avoid the flare-ups to get both rare without a very heavy char. I usually order my steaks black and blue when out, but with the heat source below, I think the char from a fat fire tastes bad.

Both were cool in the center, and well browned, almost charred but not burned on the outside. The butcher did me a favor in doing a minimal amount of trimming, except for the large to section of fat. Great dry aged mineral tang -- my 13 and 7 year old girls loved it, although the 7 year old had salmon sushi and a salmon roll beforehand because she was hungry.

I'm pretty convinced that I wouldbe willing to eat rice and beans for three weeks so that I can have a steak that really tastes like steak. My wife still comes home with stuff on sale at Stop and Shop, and I cook it and barely eat it. A real steak with the flavor concentrated from dry aging is a revelation. Deprive yourself for a month and ffind a butcher with dry aged beef. Take out a mortgage if you have to...
NYC2SoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/11/16 17:02:48 (permalink)
For the grill, first is porterhouse, second is a NY strip. Both in the 1.5-2" range. If I were to use a cast iron pan, it would be a rib eye, 1.5".

Just kosher salt and Penzeys extra bold black pepper.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 13:04:27 (permalink)
I am going to bring this topic back up front, rather than start another. Today we picked up some of my favorite Steaks. Once again our local Market had T-Bone/Porterhouse on sale at$4.99 a lb. Rather than take the half to three-quarter inch thick ones piled in the meat case I asked the cutter if he could cut some inch and a halfs...about a dozen of them. That was yesterday. He told me they would be ready at noon today, and they were!

I will set out two, for a Friday night Special supper (today being Tuesday). These two look just fine to serve that purpose!! They weighed in at 1.8 and 2.1 pounds, perfect for a great dinner (and maybe some good scraps for later)

The other 10 are stacked in the refrigerator. Janet is the overseer of the food in storage area, so she will work with me later today on what gets put in the cooler and what goes to the freezer for awhile.

I will try to do a series on the cooking and devouring of these gems as JIM does, but no promises, as I get caught up in the eating rather than the media hype ! The dogs were with me on the 'pickup run'. They are aware of the T-Bone rewards and are on their best behavior!

But to sum this up. Here is my favorite type of Steak, and the Price is certainly right!

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 13:24:48 (permalink)
I love the Porterhouse. When they are on sale, I'll vacuum seal most but I'll leave two out on a rack in the fridge with plenty of paper towels underneath and leave for 5-7 days. They are always outstanding. They must be Choice graded as few supermarkets carry Prime.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18422
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 14:00:03 (permalink)
My grandson is home on leave and has a friend visiting him from Hays, Kansas. Tomorrow night I'm feeding them each a dry-aged, 48-ounce (USDA Prime) porterhouse, along with some roasted potato wedges and roasted asparagus.

I'll rub the steaks with some minced garlic and freshly-grated black pepper. Then I shall marinate them in olive oil and a bit of white wine.

The potato wedges will be tossed with olive oil, garlic granules and pepper, and the asparagus with be drizzled with olive oil, Kosher salt, some pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.

Me? I'm having a small strip steak. Oh, and I have a bottle of Penfold's Koonunga Hill shiraz from Australia. The kid loves Australia so I tried this wine a few weeks ago in anticipation of his arrival. It was good enough for me to go back and get a few more bottles.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 14:35:34 (permalink)
Michael-

We are doing the same thing on Christmas Eve- Prime porterhouses from Allen Brothers, with some garlic olive oil and kosher salt and cracked black pepper. We'll have sweet potatoes and then asparagus, which we broil in the oven with olive oil and salt, and then splash with a little balsamic before serving.

My wife has been turned on to the Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz for the past several weeks- We just picked up a case last week. For Christmas, we have friends from Australia staying with us for 6 days, "on their way" to London to live for the next three years.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18422
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 16:11:28 (permalink)
Oh, I never thought about sweet potatoes. I'll have to try that sometime. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who likes that shiraz.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 16:31:31 (permalink)
We throw the sweet potatoes on the grill. We bake them first and then finish them on the grill.

Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/19 18:38:27 (permalink)
...yet another vote for the charcoal-grilled, bone-in ribeye steak, preferably 1 1/2" thick...salt, pepper, and a ton of smashed garlic...
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/20 10:46:37 (permalink)
Speaking of Sweet potatoes - From a poster on another forum.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1937dj1.jpg

My favorite steak is a Choice Rib Eye and a 550 degree grill for about three minutes per side topped with garlic butter.

John

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/20 11:27:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

Michael-

We are doing the same thing on Christmas Eve- Prime porterhouses from Allen Brothers, with some garlic olive oil and kosher salt and cracked black pepper. We'll have sweet potatoes and then asparagus, which we broil in the oven with olive oil and salt, and then splash with a little balsamic before serving.

My wife has been turned on to the Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz for the past several weeks- We just picked up a case last week. For Christmas, we have friends from Australia staying with us for 6 days, "on their way" to London to live for the next three years.

Regarding that Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz, I just bought a few bottles at Costco to try. Robert Parker rates the '04 a 91. Only paid $17.99 a bottle at Costco.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/20 11:34:34 (permalink)
For me, a 1-1/2" thick prime, dry aged strip done "charred & pink" on my grill.
Just (kosher) salt and fresh cracked pepper.
I let them sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Ahh, food for the gods!
And, oh yes, a big red wine to enjoy with our steaks.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6385
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/20 12:40:31 (permalink)
Al

Those are some mighty fine looking steaks, and should do very nicely on the grill.

For mine you can grill it rare - med rare, sea salt and cracked black pepper or maybe some cajun seasoning.

I will even bring the bottle of chivas royal salute I just got as a christmas gift.

Larry Wolfe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/21 07:34:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

My favorite steak is a Choice Rib Eye and a 550 degree grill for about three minutes per side topped with garlic butter.

John

Wow, those were my taters!! Here's more pic's if anyone is interested. I rubbed them with oil then sprinkle Original Wolfe Rub on them and grilled till done. We also had some bone in rib steaks, grilled onion and asparagus!

genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/21 19:52:05 (permalink)
I like it just like #1 except i like it about 2 1/2 to 3" thick..Wife like the filet met the rest, the cats fight over the bone..My second choice is a tri tip grilled to med. rare and thin sliced and then dipped in a soy, flavored sauce using orange peel.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/23 07:37:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe

quote:

Wow, those were my taters!! Here's more pic's if anyone is interested. I rubbed them with oil then sprinkle Original Wolfe Rub on them and grilled till done. We also had some bone in rib steaks, grilled onion and asparagus!

Larry Wolfe
----------------
www.wolferub.com

Hey Larry,

Welcome, how did you find your way over here? It's a great site, you're going to enjoy it.

BTW, the food looks as good now as it did before.

John
Larry Wolfe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/23 07:49:19 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe

quote:

Larry Wolfe
----------------
www.wolferub.com

Hey Larry,

Welcome, how did you find your way over here? It's a great site, you're going to enjoy it.

BTW, the food looks as good now as it did before.

John

Thanks John! Captain Morgan told me about this site!! Very nice here!!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/23 08:08:08 (permalink)
I still will have to go with a marinated skirt steak with a Greek salad.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5418
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/23 10:06:40 (permalink)
This week the Royal-Ahold chain of grocery stores is offering partial bone-in rib roast for 4.99 a lb.
By partial bone in they cut the sternum bone off but left the rib bone on the roast. I bought about 12 lbs worth. I left 1 3 bone roast whole but the others got cut into steaks about 1.5" thick and then they and the roast were sealed up with the vacuum sealer and frozen.

Up until a couple months ago I could cook one of these good sized steaks for PP, Ava and myself. Now Ava has gotten to where she'll eat half of one by herself.

I like to grill the steaks and do some shrimp on the barbie at the same time. Add some veggies and a spud and you've got my favorite meal.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/23 10:08:48 (permalink)
Al, those steaks look very good. If they had much more marbling I'd say they would be considered prime.

MikeS.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/24 09:09:57 (permalink)
They sure had plenty of good Beefy flavor! We will do four more when one of the offspring and her family show up next week for a couple of days. Treating the Kids to this sort of steak is not only fun, it is a money saver compared to taking them (4 adults and two small kids) out to a steak dinner somewhere.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/24 17:12:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

They sure had plenty of good Beefy flavor! We will do four more when one of the offspring and her family show up next week for a couple of days. Treating the Kids to this sort of steak is not only fun, it is a money saver compared to taking them (4 adults and two small kids) out to a steak dinner somewhere.

You've got that right, talk about a wallet buster!!!

John
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/24 23:34:28 (permalink)
Around here Outback is the best placve for steak. A ribeye there is at least $18. I bought 3+ lbs for that price this week. I'd much rather cook a good steak at home.

MikeS.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2006/12/25 10:54:03 (permalink)
Yeah figure $25 per dinner (Outback or Roadhouse level restaurant) by the time you do the add-ons and tip.
My steaks ran about $10 each and , maybe a buck for the potato and veggie and the cooking fuel. Granted I work cheap and haven't factored in the overhead, but it is easy to see that it is cheaper by about half to do it at home, where you control the process a lot more than if you let someone else do it.

There are pros and cons for the 'home-grilled' vs the 'restaurant quality'. We do both, but at the holiday time my kids like to 'invite themselves over' to get Dad to grill up some of this Beef. I guess it just tastes better than the frozen pizza's that seem to be the core of some of the younger folks diet these days!
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2008/05/27 13:08:16 (permalink)
Skirt Steak! (beef diaphragm).
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2008/07/01 10:31:54 (permalink)
I'm prone to a thick cut ribeye, rubbed down in olive oil, S&P, and a little rosemary, thyme, & oregano. Thow it on the hottest part of the grill for 4-5 min a side for a good crust, finish it off in the cool spot, and keep it rare.

With an ice cold beerverage or two.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6270
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2008/07/01 10:50:08 (permalink)
Porterhouse..or a nice New York Strip
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6795
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2008/07/02 00:35:55 (permalink)
Any cut that is dry-aged CERTIFIED Black Angus. Lots of steaks have the "Black Angus" label on them but they have to be CERTIFIED Angus. The meat comes wrapped in butcher's paper and has "fur" on it. Trim the "fur" away and grill. You can special order them from your butcher.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2009/08/22 12:25:51 (permalink)
We've been marinating ribeyes in Pappy's XXX BBQ sauce and grilling them medium/rare on the good old Weber's charcoal grill and enjoying them with fresh sliced better boy tomatoes from the garden on the side as well as mashed or baked sweet potatoes or an ear of sweet corn.  It's been good...............

Andrea
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1