Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What Do You Put On Saltines?

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 102
Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 8:43 AM (permalink)
Hello All,
Sometimes I just want a snack, so I get out the saltines and
make a cracker sandwich. My favorites are...
pork and beans on a cracker
cloth bologna (with mustard) on a cracker
sharp cheddar cheese (with mustard) on a cracker
peanut butter on a cracker
I'm quackers on cracker snacks.
What's your favorite topping with crackers?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

JDBlagg

• Total Posts: 12
    RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:02 AM (permalink)
    Just butter or miracle whip. I also like tuna fish on saltines.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
      RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:04 AM (permalink)
      I love ...

Smoked oysters
      Kippers
      Sardines with hot sauce
      Liver pudding with mustard (a South Carolina speciality. Much like liver mush)
      Tuna salad
      Pimento cheese
      Peanut butter
      Peanut butter and jelly
      Jelly

DoctorDan

• Total Posts: 56
        RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:08 AM (permalink)
        Hi Fieldthistle,

What is cloth bologna??

Doctor Dan

Fieldthistle

RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:12 AM (permalink)
          Hello All,
          Welcome JDBagg to Roadfood.Com. You like tuna...is that just plain tuna meat or
          mixed tuna with mayo, celery, and or pickles?
          Scbuzz, you reminded me of something my deceased poppa loved, sardines and crackers.
          Thanks for renewing that memory of my father.
          DoctorDan, cloth bologna is a roll of bologna wrapped in
          a cloth fiber with a wax coating over the fiber. You have to
          slice it. I know that there is a greater explanation than that. Someone help, please.
          The bologna has a different flavour and texture,(more fatty)
          than like Oscar Meyers slice bologna. I am not giving a good description or explanation. Sorry.
          Take Care,
          Fielthistle

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
            RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:22 AM (permalink)
            We eat a lot of crackers but never have saltines in the house and you're giving me a craving.

For me it would be saltines lightly buttered or crumbled in not-the-best soup. Triscuits with white tuna salad (just mayo, celery and a jot of mustard and pepper). Wheat Thins or Ritz with crunchy peanut butter. The Stoned Wheat Thins and Carr's water biscuits are for the cheese plate when company comes over.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
              RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 10:11 AM (permalink)
              I thought you did good Field! Made me wana try some cloth bologna. And your Poppa and the sardines, I thought everyone eats them that way untill I read the sardine thread here.

My bro eats his chili on a saltine, not one bite thats not on a cracker! Drives me crazzzzy.

One of my favs is a saltine w/ a good pepper jack cheese w/ a slice of peperoni on top, nuke it for a few seconds. I make a whole plate of em. The cheese and meat combinations are endless. You can freshen up kinda stale satiines in the micro also.

A smoked oyster, sour cream, and a nacho sliced jalapeno. You gota eat it in one bite!

Oh ashphalt, sometimes I just butter em and put em under he broiler until they just start to turn brown and crispy, mmmm.
              Joe

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 10:20 AM (permalink)
                Cream cheese

Fieldthistle

RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 10:29 AM (permalink)
                  Hello All,
                  PapaJoe8, you are just a delightful soul. I might try that smoked oyster, sour cream and jalapeno.
                  Well, thinking again...maybe I'll put the jalapeno and pepper jack cheese on a cracker.
                  I am not a seafood or fishy person. But maybe I should try...so in honour of you, I'll try
                  you oyster cracker combo.
                  Take Care,
                  Fieldthistle

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 10:31 AM (permalink)
                    Peanut butter.

In elementary school, the secretary always kept saltines and peanut butter for anyone who forgot their lunch. (there was not hot lunch served at our school back then). If you forgot your lunch, she would make you up a plate of peanut butter on saltines. Well, I was one of those kids who routinely forgot his lunch.

In retrospect, I wonder if I did it on purpose?

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                      RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 11:53 AM (permalink)
                      Mayo or peanut butter, or both.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
                        RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 12:07 PM (permalink)
                        This topic reminded me of something I saw early yesterday morning as we had breakfast.....a lady across the aisle from us ordered two eggs and a soup bowl. She proceeded to put the eggs in the soup bowl and crumbled two little celephane-wrapped containers of saltines into the eggs and mixed it all up with her spoon and ate her eggs that way. I'd never seen that done before. I wouldn't try it because I don't like eggs, but it was interesting. In addition to that, she ordered two large glasses of iced tea to go along with that. This was at 6:30 in the morning.

So, another use for saltines; not on top of but crumbled into.

Donna

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                          RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks Field, I am a fan of yours also! About the smoked oysters, they may be kind of an aquired taste, but if you read the smoked oyster thread, lots of folks love em. Sooo, it might be worth the risk. Since you know you like saltines, sour cream, and jalapenos, all you have to do is like the little smokey thing. I put the odds at 3 to 1 you'l like em. The jack cheese and jalapeno, kinda like a saltine nacho, sounds good to me!

Score, you are lucky to have known such a nice person!

Neb, I like the mayo PB deal also.

Donna, you reminded me of something I love and havn't had in a while. A few soft boiled eggs w/ crumbled saltines, butter and sometimes some grated cheese. I know, that dosent sound good to you since you don't like eggs, but for us egg lovers it's a yummy snack.
                          Joe

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                            RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 12:34 PM (permalink)
                            Tuna with olive oil and red wine vinegar, port wine cheese. I also love putting Campbell's chicken noodle soup noodles on crackers till they're gone then drink the broth.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                              RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 1:22 PM (permalink)
                              Depends on my mood, but favorites include: butter (with hot tea to drink), American cheese, peanut butter (solo), ring balogna (similar to cloth??) PB&J (must be grape jelly, though), any type of meat salad, crumbled up on tuna & macaroni casserole after it comes out of the oven, any other kind of cheese that is available, cottage cheese salad(cc w/ green pepper, celery, grated carrots, and tuna mixed in), pretty much anything with a smooth texture that needs some crunch along-side.

Alice

Rusty246

RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by pcdiva

Depends on my mood, but favorites include: butter (with hot tea to drink), American cheese, peanut butter (solo), ring balogna (similar to cloth??) PB&J (must be grape jelly, though), any type of meat salad, crumbled up on tuna & macaroni casserole after it comes out of the oven, any other kind of cheese that is available, cottage cheese salad(cc w/ green pepper, celery, grated carrots, and tuna mixed in), pretty much anything with a smooth texture that needs some crunch along-side.

Alice

Not meaning to start another thread within a thread but that cottage cheese salad sounds wonderful! The farthest I've ever ventured with cottage cheese is to rough chop tomatoes and mix it together(don't do the fruit mixtures), or sometimes I mix it with ricotta for lasagne.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                  I get a block of Sharp cheddar, and slice up a massive amount to top the saltines for a munchie. Sometimes I top off with some room temp Sprats (sardines in oil from Riga). And on occasion, I'll eat em plain!

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                                    RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                    Cowboy Fish Dinner from The Only Texas Cookbook by Linda West Eckhardt

Serves 1

1 can sardines
                                    1 box soda crackers

Open sardine can with key. Place a cracker on the pommel of saddle. Carefully lay a sardine on the cracker. Eat. Continue with procedure until you run out of sardines, crackers, or room in your belly.

sammur

• Total Posts: 138
                                      RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                      Try a Ritz cracker, bleu cheese, and a baby sweet gherkin. Yumm.

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
                                        RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                        I do eat them in many of the ways previously mentioned. I also like them with hot sauce, with hummus, bean dip or tomato sandwich style with mayo or mustard.

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                                          RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                          I like Tillamook or Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar or cream cheese with hot jelly.

Back in the day, my friends and I would spread the crackers with butter and sprinkle white sugar on. We would then put them in the Easy Bake Oven. I'll be darned if they didn't taste like cookies. We did this when all the packaged kits were long gone but wanted a snack.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 4:17 PM (permalink)
                                            peanut butter

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
                                              • Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
                                              RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                              My favorite is a pat of cold butter, next is cream cheese and cherry preserves

dbrandon

• Total Posts: 70
                                                RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                                Another vote for smoked oysters, with or without extra shmear.

dbrandon

Rusty246

RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  Smoked Mullet dip(or any fish dip)steamed oysters yes, never been to big on the canned ones. Okay I'll be honest, I love oysters but can't bring myself to try the canned ones.

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                                                    RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

DoctorDan, cloth bologna is a roll of bologna wrapped in
                                                    a cloth fiber with a wax coating over the fiber. You have to
                                                    slice it. I know that there is a greater explanation than that. Someone help, please.
                                                    The bologna has a different flavour and texture,(more fatty)
                                                    than like Oscar Meyers slice bologna. I am not giving a good description

Maybe it is like a cross between Bologna and Liverwurst??

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                                      • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                                      RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                                      I like saltines or ritz or triscuits or graham crackers, served with:

peanut butter solitaire
                                                      peanut butter and jelly (various kinds)
                                                      cream cheese solitaire
                                                      cream cheese with marmalade
                                                      flavored cream cheese
                                                      smoked oysters (but not on graham crackers)

my favorite:

peanut butter and whipped cream....mmmmmm

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                        • Location: columbus, oh
                                                        RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        For those of you who don't eat raw ground meat, Close your Eyes!

My father and I used to take freshly ground raw sirloin, sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper and put it on saltines.
                                                        I also like cottage cheese with chives and diced tomatoes on saltines.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                          RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                                          Saltines never a favorite in my abode. We use them occasionally, but only if better choices are absent when spouse & I shop.

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
                                                            • Location: Independence, MO
                                                            RE: What Do You Put On Saltines? Wed, 05/17/06 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                                            Always put crumbled up saltines in my soup, I also love saltine butter sandwiches and I've been known to put vanilla frosting on saltines too making a sandwich out of it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 102

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com