What Goes On Your Burger?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/08 18:37:28 (permalink)
Bill, growing up in southwest Missouri, most places served mustard, pickles, onions, lettuce and catsup.

Down here around Austin, the standard seems to be mustard, mayo, lettuce, pickles, onions, and tomatoes. I don't remember any local place putting catsup on. It's always served on the table.

Many places I have to tell them to hold the mayo. Sometimes I have to ask for mustard.
#31
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Joined: 2003/05/26 15:47:00
  • Location: Marvell, AR
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/08 22:44:53 (permalink)
Bushie's "Austin Standard Burger" described above, with a little cheese added, is my ideal burger, whether it's one I'm building at home or ordering out. And let's toast or grill the bun, please.
#32
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Joined: 2003/08/04 03:56:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/08 23:30:20 (permalink)
Thanks, clothier, for your explanation. The more I've thought about it, I've decided I'm a traditionalist when it comes to burger toppings, so I may take a pass. Anyway, I've just found a place that does a pretty good muffaletta, so I'm gonna stick to that and popping stuffed Queen olives straight from the bottle .

Wellllllll, I was going to say, the local branch of the Hamburger Toppings Institute won't release their latest data , butttttt, judging by the advertising for the FF chains, 'Texas style' means 'mustard and extra pickles.' That includes JIB, McD, BK and Wendy's; I don't know what Sonic puts on their burgers. The standard dressing on a Whataburger is mustard.

As for non-chain places, I don't know how anybody can sum it up, with so many places to choose from.

I never had ketchup on a burger until I had my first Quarter Pounder w/cheese at McD ca. 1973. I prefer sliced tomatoes, tho they're usually so tasteless I can understand the use of ketchup.

Mesquite grilled patties are fairly common around here. Salsa or Pico de Gallo are offered at a number of places as toppings (I think they have about as much place on a burger as ketchup).

Can't remember now the other stuff I was so frustrated trying to post last night, but I'm thinking of starting a 'specialty burger' thread; there are a couple of interest locally and I've heard others elsewhere.
#33
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 00:16:50 (permalink)
hermit - have you ever been to Barnaby's cafe? The bacon-bleu cheese burger is fantastic. A huge grilled patty with three slices of thick bacon and heaps of bleu cheese. Lettuce, tomato, and rings of purple onion.
Great for the Atkins if you don't eat the bun, AND can resist their famous fries that they sprinkle with Tex-Joy seasoning.

We have lunch there at least once a week and everything I have had is fabulous.


As for my region - I would have to say lettuce, tomato, mustard, pickles and onion.
#34
Marsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Joined: 2002/10/23 13:15:00
  • Location: Beaumont, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 07:44:31 (permalink)
Here in Texas its usually mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion. The Ketchup is reserved exclusively for the fries. Secret sauce is a California thing (In N Out, Bob's Big Boy). Louisiana border is more mayo, lettuce, tomato , and onion, when going West the trend is mustard instead and add the dill pickles. The prefered onion is the 1015 yellow onion. Bacon cheddar is the best, but other good toppings are garlic sauteed mushrooms, guacamole, grilled onions, chili, hickory bbq sauce, picante sauce and jalapenos, pico de gallo, etc.. I have had green chiles, ok. I had chopped giardiniera, good. Roasted red peppers and black olives good as well. Wanted to experiment with fresh basil and sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese. What about hoisin or satay sauce? Marinara sauce is good on a burger or cheesesteak. But here in Texas, stick with bbq theme or TexMex, like the combo cheddar, hickory sauce, bacon, and onion rings, or the combo picante sauce, jalapenos, cheddar, and lettuce.
#35
Marsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Joined: 2002/10/23 13:15:00
  • Location: Beaumont, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 07:51:00 (permalink)
What kind of patty though? Beef I guess. But what about buffalo, turkey, black bean, or portobella? What about other sandwiches like grilled chicken or tuna steak?
#36
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
  • Joined: 2003/03/07 08:23:00
  • Location: Sumter, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 10:45:47 (permalink)
I go for Cheese (I like provolone best), onion (vidalia is best), dill pickle slices, tomato (if in season and fresh), mayo. All on a nice thick juicy medium rare Hamburger patty !!! I also like a sesame seed bun.


I also like pimento cheese on my burger. but in that case, I just want the hamburger with pimento cheese and sometimes an onion slice .... but not much else.

#37
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1184
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 11:47:48 (permalink)
Bun lightly toasted after being lightly spread with soft butter.
Shredded iceberg lettuce anchored with a little mayo on the bottom bun.
Slice of good tomato if available atop the lettuce. (In off-season, those tomatoes-on-the-vine you can get at the grocery are OK, if salted and sprinkled with a pinch of sugar first.)
A slice of sweet onion, preferably Vidalia or WallaWalla; red onion is OK too. Make it a thick slice, and grill it slightly beforehand if you want true overkill.
Burger, appropriately grilled outside or on a grillpan. (After you form the patty, make a little depression in the center, 'bout the size of a quarter. It keeps the burger from getting that "bulbous" look.) Anoint with Worchestershire during cooking, brush with a little excellent barbecue sauce at the end.
Top with a sliced garlic dill OR pickle relish, and either cheddar or swiss cheese. Add ketchup and mustard.
Gobble heartily.
#38
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1184
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 11:49:38 (permalink)
OR...Or...ororor...

Season burger with cayenne and dry mustard before grilling. Season finished burger with Dijon mustard, and top with bacon and blue cheese.
#39
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Joined: 2003/08/04 03:56:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/09 20:41:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

hermit - have you ever been to Barnaby's cafe? The bacon-bleu cheese burger is fantastic. A huge grilled patty with three slices of thick bacon and heaps of bleu cheese. Lettuce, tomato, and rings of purple onion.
Great for the Atkins if you don't eat the bun, AND can resist their famous fries that they sprinkle with Tex-Joy seasoning.

We have lunch there at least once a week and everything I have had is fabulous.


As for my region - I would have to say lettuce, tomato, mustard, pickles and onion.



Lone Star - yes, I've been to Barnaby's and had a burger, but not the bleu cheese. I'm not that taken with Barnaby's . As far as cheese on a burger, I'm guess I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud traditionalist -- I like a sharp American or cheddar more than anything, and enough of it I can taste it without having to open the bun and look to see if it's there " />. I do love bleu cheese, tho. Great on the Atkins diet .

Thanks for the info about the Tex-Joy, tho. I just bought some today to try in the chili I'm planning to make.
#40
Marsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Joined: 2002/10/23 13:15:00
  • Location: Beaumont, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 13:52:28 (permalink)
I glad people mentioned the TexJoy steak seasoning, Its what this Beaumont boy grew up with, and I do put it my burger patty and fries. Texas Coffee Co. also makes the 7 spice for Saltgrass steakhouse chain. As well as Seaport coffee. I also use the seafood seasoning, the fajita seasoning, chili powder, cumin, pepper, paprika, parsley, oregano, and the granulated garlic. They also have file for gumbo. And OF sausage seaoning, but the Italian seasoning is too salty for use.
#41
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18390
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 14:01:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

I think Louis Lunch is what you mean. There's plenty of folks here that have sampled their burgers. Ketchup is forbidden.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=402


So are buns.
#42
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4618
  • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
  • Location: Rogue Valley
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 14:35:06 (permalink)
So Michael, for Argent's benefit, and the rest of us too, is it up to it's reputation? Is it a roodfood "gold star winner"? I'd like one of those broilers too, just as an aside.
#43
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 15:32:41 (permalink)
I have pretty much given up ordering burgers out in Western Mass. Since I like my burgers rare, I all-too-often need to send them back because some zealot has spent too many of his waking hours reading food-handling labels instead of cookbooks. Still, condiments are generally served on the side, and nobody faints if you ask for mustard, which is my preference. As I said in the White Castle forum, I think ketchup is just too overwhelming, and two very thin slices of fresh tomato are what I would prefer.

On another note, I find that if you cannot find good beef – and I prefer to grind my own hanger steak for a luscious burger – blend in some ground lamb (this is what I did in my Sutter Home Burger). The beef needs to have a good fat content, but if you are watching that cholesterol meter, try crumbling or grating some cheese in with the ground meat. As the burger cooks, the cheese emits moisture, thereby keeping the patty moist inside. James Beard would put a small ice cube in the center of his burgers to this end.
#44
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Joined: 2003/08/04 03:56:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 16:10:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

On another note, I find that if you cannot find good beef – and I prefer to grind my own hanger steak for a luscious burger – blend in some ground lamb (this is what I did in my Sutter Home Burger). The beef needs to have a good fat content, but if you are watching that cholesterol meter, try crumbling or grating some cheese in with the ground meat. As the burger cooks, the cheese emits moisture, thereby keeping the patty moist inside. James Beard would put a small ice cube in the center of his burgers to this end.



Oh, that does sound good . I'll have to try the hanger steak/lamb burger.

I've added grated cheddar and coarsely grated parmesan to hamburger patties with good effect, although with the latter you still need good fat content to the meat. I've also heard of putting a chunk of bleu cheese in the middle of the patty, but haven't tried it. Maybe that's the way Barnaby's makes it, as mentioned by Lone Star above; if so, I'll have to give it a try .
#45
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 16:32:07 (permalink)
Bleu cheese works perfectly, but it is very definitely going to change the flavor. A mild goat or sheep's milk cheese crumbled in works very well.
#46
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4618
  • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
  • Location: Rogue Valley
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 16:40:54 (permalink)
OK grampy Beard, Ice cube and cheese, or no ice if cheese? and what % beef do you like? Here in Southern Oregon, we can get from 7% to 30% + ground round if we're feeling rich. Local lamb too. I've got to try this combo.
#47
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Joined: 2003/08/04 03:56:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 17:34:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Bleu cheese works perfectly, but it is very definitely going to change the flavor. A mild goat or sheep's milk cheese crumbled in works very well.


Yeah. I thought bleu cheese on top of the burger was bit too strong, when I've tried it. Also remembered I've used some of the mild Mexican cheeses and Queso Enchilado, a flavored, hard grating cheese, like Parmesan (in texture, not flavor ).

Thanks again.
#48
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 17:43:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

OK grampy Beard, Ice cube and cheese, or no ice if cheese? and what % beef do you like? Here in Southern Oregon, we can get from 7% to 30% + ground round if we're feeling rich. Local lamb too. I've got to try this combo.


That local lamb sounds great. We have a couple of local purveyors of beef and lamb -- and you never want to go back to the supermarket. If I do, 15-20% fat for the beef. As for the cheese/ice cube issue, use one or the other. I wasn't especially keen on the latter and prefer to keep the ice in my Martini shaker.
#49
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Joined: 2003/06/01 10:10:00
  • Location: new market, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/10 19:41:23 (permalink)
I find if you go below a 15% fat content , A burger just wont stay together. My favorite burgers are fresh ground each day on premisis. So as to control Fat and quality.
#50
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
  • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/11 05:44:19 (permalink)
I want a fairly thick patty, grilled medium. Mayo or Miracle Whip, a dab of yellow mustard or a new spicy honey mustard my daughter brought home. Thick slice vine ripe tomato, 2 bread & butter stacker slices and a dab of ketchup opposite the mustard. Nice hunk of lettuce leaf and a slice of Kraft American cheese on a large, seeded bun that has been lightly toasted.

Nice additions are fresh guacomole when available and almost crisp bacon.

I hate an over-cooked burger and almost never order one at a restaurant any more. The food police have ruined burgers.
#51
Marsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Joined: 2002/10/23 13:15:00
  • Location: Beaumont, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/11 11:37:57 (permalink)
The only place I have heard of stuffing the patty with cheese and bacon is Tookie's in Seabrook. (before the bridge in Kemah).
#52
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/11 11:47:08 (permalink)
We have placed feta cheese in the middle of the burger before cooking, BOY that is a tasty burger with a little Cavendars Greek seasoning on top, too. Making me hungry and here it is lunchtime...
#53
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18390
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/11 11:54:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

So Michael, for Argent's benefit, and the rest of us too, is it up to it's reputation? Is it a roodfood "gold star winner"? I'd like one of those broilers too, just as an aside.


I haven't been to Louis Lunch in many years. When I was growing up in New Haven I was there at least once a week. My grandfather's store fixture place was two buildings away. Truth to tell, though, I never got hamburgers. I liked my hamburgers on buns, and they put them on toast. I always had steak sandwiches. They were heavenly things, made with paper-thin-sliced eye of the round, cooked on a griddle, then placed on toast with lettuce, tomato and onions.
#54
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
  • Joined: 2003/06/30 14:10:00
  • Location: New York, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/11 12:30:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

So Michael, for Argent's benefit, and the rest of us too, is it up to it's reputation? Is it a roodfood "gold star winner"? I'd like one of those broilers too, just as an aside.


I haven't been to Louis Lunch in many years. When I was growing up in New Haven I was there at least once a week. My grandfather's store fixture place was two buildings away. Truth to tell, though, I never got hamburgers. I liked my hamburgers on buns, and they put them on toast. I always had steak sandwiches. They were heavenly things, made with paper-thin-sliced eye of the round, cooked on a griddle, then placed on toast with lettuce, tomato and onions.



I've been there only twice, but agree. I much preferred the steak sandwiches. For me, it was one of those few cases where it was more about the place than the food.

Also, perhaps Michael or someone can resolve a disagreement of sorts: is the name of Louis Lunch pronounced "Lew-ISS" Lunch or "Loo-EE" Lunch?
#55
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
  • Joined: 2003/05/12 13:31:00
  • Location: randolph, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/12 08:20:22 (permalink)
I like my burgers large, medium rare with 20 to 25 percent fat to meat ratio. Basically I like them unadorned. I find, like others, ketchup etc. overpowers the taste I am eating the burger for. There are exceptions depending on my mood. I will always eat cheeseburgers over plain ones. Toppings when the mood hits are either slow cooked onions or bacon and sometimes both.
#56
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18390
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/13 16:12:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

So Michael, for Argent's benefit, and the rest of us too, is it up to it's reputation? Is it a roodfood "gold star winner"? I'd like one of those broilers too, just as an aside.


I haven't been to Louis Lunch in many years. When I was growing up in New Haven I was there at least once a week. My grandfather's store fixture place was two buildings away. Truth to tell, though, I never got hamburgers. I liked my hamburgers on buns, and they put them on toast. I always had steak sandwiches. They were heavenly things, made with paper-thin-sliced eye of the round, cooked on a griddle, then placed on toast with lettuce, tomato and onions.



I've been there only twice, but agree. I much preferred the steak sandwiches. For me, it was one of those few cases where it was more about the place than the food.

Also, perhaps Michael or someone can resolve a disagreement of sorts: is the name of Louis Lunch pronounced "Lew-ISS" Lunch or "Loo-EE" Lunch?


It's really lew-iss, but I grew up calling it lew-ees. I should mention that the Lassens are my third or fourth cousins.
#57
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Joined: 2003/03/30 01:01:00
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/13 16:57:46 (permalink)
Grew up in New England and live there again now. What I remember being the 'regular' add-ons at most places when I was growing up was ketchup and onions, with cheese or without. What I typically use at home is BBQ sauce (lost the taste for ketchup somewhere) onions and swiss cheese, maybe shredded lettuce if in season. Whoever said that bad or soggy lettuce can waterlog a good burger is absolutely correct.
#58
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Joined: 2003/08/07 23:21:00
  • Location: Pacific Grove, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/13 19:18:11 (permalink)
With due respect to you all, the only cheese on a 'true' cheeseburger should be American cheese. This is 'Roadfood' we're talkin', right?
#59
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2003/11/13 22:08:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Tyler

With due respect to you all, the only cheese on a 'true' cheeseburger should be American cheese. This is 'Roadfood' we're talkin', right?

Hmm. American cheese? -- Vermont cheddar sounds pretty good to me right now. Thin and bubbly.
#60
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1