What Goes On Your Burger?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
Andoo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/10/13 17:25:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DinoS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by clothier

...here in MI... locals like to eat chopped green olives (yes, with what passes these days for pimento). It's tasty, especially if you get it with mayo to balance out the olives.

Yeah, I loved olive cheeseburgers (chopped green olives+mayo) when I lived in MI. Have never seen that topping offered here in CA.
Andoo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/10/13 17:33:09 (permalink)
I don't know what kind of people would eat green olives and mayo on a hamburger, but in Wisconsin, we would have called that an Ed Gein Burger. My brother claims he likes the toppings(garbage) as he calls it, better than the meat. He could be in an ad for Carls' Jr. on sloppy burgers. Myself, I BBQ all the time for our high school games and I've reverted to simply, meat tomatoes, and onions.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/10/13 21:40:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Andoo

I don't know what kind of people would eat green olives and mayo on a hamburger, but in Wisconsin, we would have called that an Ed Gein Burger.

Try it sometime, I bet you'll like it.

Dino
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/10/15 17:51:20 (permalink)
Here are the details describing how I make myself my ideal hamburger.

--- Ingredients ---

Bread - Two pieces of fresh King's Hawaiian bread sliced just under an inch thick. Plaid, untoasted. I can live with Texas toast-sized (or even regular sandwich sized) white bread as a substitution, but anything other than King's Hawaiian I want actually toasted and not just plain out of the package.

Meat - A pattie about as thick as my thumb and super well done. Almost burnt on the edges. Cooked in a skillet or on a grill; NOT cooked over an open flame. No seasoning of any kind in or on the meat. None.

Tomato - Two or three slices, each about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.

Cheese - Slice or two of American.
Onion - Several slices of red (some people call them purple) onion. Same thickness as the tomato, and left as entire wedges; not broken up into rings.

Pickle - Take it or leave it.

Mayo - Yes. Hellmann's.

Mustard - Yes. French's or similar.

Miracle Whip - Yes.

Catsup - Yes. Hunt's only.

Salt and pepper - Yes on both.

--- Assembly ---

I start with everything 'unassembled' but laid out in front of me.

(In order from the plate up):

Slice of bread.

Layer of Mayo or Miracle Whip with a small amount of mustard mixed in with it.

One slice of cheese.

One slice/wedge of red onion.

Meat pattie.

Salt and pepper.

One slice of tomato.

One slice of cheese.

Layer of catsup.

Slice of bread.

I build it all, slice it from corner to corner making two smaller triangle-shaped burgers, and dig in. I sometimes add a little more salt as I go along, and I enjoy every bite. In fact, I enjoy making it almost as much as eating it, as you can probably tell.

Gotta go; I'm hungry!

Redskin204
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/10/15 17:58:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Redskin204

Bread - Two pieces of fresh King's Hawaiian bread sliced just under an inch thick. Plaid, untoasted.

Hahaha. I mentioned in another post that I would never be a championship winning typist. There's my proof! How about 'plain' instead of 'plaid'?

Redskin204
Coaster Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/22 14:39:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Redskin204

Here are the details describing how I make myself my ideal hamburger.

I build it all, slice it from corner to corner making two smaller triangle-shaped burgers, and dig in. I sometimes add a little more salt as I go along, and I enjoy every bite. In fact, I enjoy making it almost as much as eating it, as you can probably tell.

Gotta go; I'm hungry!

Redskin204

Ha ha ha!
You'll starve to death before you're done building it!
Coaster Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/22 14:52:42 (permalink)

OK - Here goes:

Hand Packed Ground Chuck, Pan Griddled Med. Rare!
Heinz Ketchup, Horseradish Sauce, French's Onion Rings (the kind for casseroles that come in a can!), Jack Cheese & bacon on a Buttered and griddle-toasted hard roll.

The best part is a splash of beer on the burger just as it comes off the grill. I went to a dark little cafe in Long Island once and mistook my bottle of Amstel for the Ketchup and splashed about a half an ounce on my burger." /> It was delicious!
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/22 15:39:50 (permalink)
I usually just have onions and perhaps cheese if given the choice. I've liked hamburgs that had tomato,but I don't choose it. I also like mushrooms.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4561
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/22 15:59:26 (permalink)
[url='http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041222/ENT01/412220328/1047']Local recent mini-review[/url] has boursin cheese on a burger.

(The website has the graphics locked down somehow, so I can't post the pic, but there is a pic of the burger on the page)

Got to try that :-)
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/26 15:50:42 (permalink)
This is a hard to answer. I have had them so many ways, and I love to get creative. I'm still laughing at the "plaid" statement.

Mosty, I have a slice of tomato, lettuce, onion, mustard, and mayo. I like my burgers medium.. but not too well done. My most recent burger had sautéed onions, green pepper, and mushrooms with melted monterey jack cheese.. mmmm... I added some A1 on it. *drool* I've also had great greek burgers. You add alittle minced spinach to ground beef with an egg, tad bit lemon juice, salt and pepper. Form into patties. When the burgers are almost done, I top with some feta cheese, and put a lid or foil tent to cover until cheese starts to melt. I put burger on bottom half of a good toasted kaiser roll, slice of tomato, and some Tsatziki (sp?)--cucumber dressing. The possiblities are endless with burgers.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2004/12/26 16:15:18 (permalink)
I get really picky about this!! Start with a bun that has some texture, not too hard but not too squishy either. I do a good sized burger in my cast iron skillet, charred outside, medium well inside. Anyone else make this sauce? Tarter sauce mixed with a little ketchup. Sort of comes out like the Big Boy sauce.Our Bob's big boy closed, but my fond memories of that burger remain. Shredded lettuce, Thin slices of raw onion, tomato and dill pickle. I really don't like experiementing and adding anything else, maybe a little mustard sometimes.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/07/31 19:49:42 (permalink)
I like two different types of burgers. For just a burger, I like the meat cooked on a charcoal grill, served on a toasted buttered bun with mayo, tomato, onion, and catsup.

For an "all the way" burger, i like a thin patty, either fried or grilled, on a steamed bun with mustard, slaw, onion, and chili.

I don't like big thick burgers. What makes a good burger to me is the blending of all the flavors, not the meat overpowering all the fixins.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/01 05:46:13 (permalink)
Hello all. When I was a little boy of 4 or 5, my mother would chop up green peppers into tiny pieces and plop them into the hamburger, then make patties out of them. My family loved them. I didn't. I never ate a hamburger for years after that. My standard toppings are tomato, lettuce, mayo and mustard. When I am in a certain mood, (don't ask me which mood that is,) I put extra pepper when cooking, then top it with mayo, tomato, and a heaping dose of chilled sauerkraut. A side of fries are a must, with a Dr. Pepper or a frosty glass of beer.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/01 08:52:13 (permalink)
fieldthistle,I'm feeling your pain.When I was pregnant with my son and experiencing delicate stomach, we went to a cookout that promised burgers on the grill. Our host had added all sorts of stuff to the meat, eggs, A1, peppers, onion, garlic, etc. Now I know this is some folks idea of a great burger, but not me! I couldn't eat it.
I just want to taste the meat and fixings on a bun.
What he served was really a grilled meatloaf!
StL Dan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/02 00:29:08 (permalink)
Crisp green iceburg lettuce, vine ripened red tomatoes, crisp flavorful purple onions, melted cheese, dab of ketchup, dab of mustard, mayo, shot or two or three of tabasco.

The burger s/b so tall you can barely fit it into your mouth. And so runny with coagulated goo that it's a messy affair.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/02 14:30:35 (permalink)
I don't like "rabbit food" on my burgers, especially the ff kind, tomatos, onions and various condiments depending on type and my current mood. Last night I took 1/3lb of fresh meat formed iinto a patty, coated bothsides with A-1 then panfried over high heat with a couple slices of red onion sharing the pan. 3 slices of american cheese melted over the top til it oozed off the sides and crisped up (reminding me of late nights on granpas porch and cheese toasted on the heater) No bun but a side of cold baked beans and a healthy helping of chips finished up the plate..other times I may use bleucheese and toast or swisscheese and a poppyseed bun or maybe a plain bun (toasted) tomato, onion and mayo on a chedder topped burger.... this forum is NO GOOD for a diet......
jewell_diva
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/02 15:17:40 (permalink)
Bill~

I grew up in Kansas City too! I've noticed that wherever I go, I usually am able to get a burger exactly how I want it without any problems, whether it's mushroom swiss, cheddar bacon, or good 'old mayo, pickle, onion, lettuce, 'n' tomato with American. I recently moved to North Carolina, so I'll have to pay attention to the traditional buger toppings in this neck of the woods.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:
Having grown up in MO, have you ever had a "Goober Burger"? I have never had one, but apparently they're very popular in Missouri. I know you can get them around the Sedalia/Columbia area, and in the Ozarks. There are billboards for them everywhere across central Missouri. Just about every one of my friends has tried them, and they can't believe I've never had one. A Goober Burger (from what I understand) is a hamburger topped with peanut butter. Sounds pretty strange to me, but everyone I know says it was quite surprisingly delicious. Have you ever had one? Let me know what you think!!!

PS... I didn't read every single page of this thread, so please forgive my redundancy if someone has already posted regarding the Goober Burger.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/02 20:11:49 (permalink)
hi ya Jewel, I don't think they made it west past Sedalia at the wheel Inn, thankfully. Welcome
to the forums. Lot of North Carolinians on here.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2257
Mister F.
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/02 21:20:34 (permalink)
Gotta have Miracle Whip and a slice of onion that looks like a Frisbee.
jewell_diva
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/05 09:51:51 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome and the info, Bill! The review was helpful-- don't know how I missed that one... lol. Seems like I've been through the Missouri reviews, but the BBQ places must have stuck with me the most. I'm with you on the Guber burger... they can stay east, and that would be just fine with me!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/14 16:00:50 (permalink)
quote:
With due respect to you all, the only cheese on a 'true' cheeseburger should be American cheese. This is 'Roadfood' we're talkin', right?

So I've heard, but I'd rather have a good, sharp Swiss, or feta, or bleu cheese. The bigger the burger's bite the better the burger's . Besides, rules are for McDonalds' and other chains.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/14 16:22:18 (permalink)
quote:
With due respect to you all, the only cheese on a 'true' cheeseburger should be American cheese. This is 'Roadfood' we're talkin', right?

So I've heard, but I'd rather have a good, sharp Swiss, or feta, or bleu cheese. The bigger the burger's bite the better the burger's . Besides, rules are for McDonalds' and other chains.

When I cook them, I like to spread peanut butter on the top, then scrape the peanut butter off before consumption. I'd rather have several thin than one thick slice of onion, and raw over fried. I also like tomatoes, and hate catsup (which would shock anyone that knew me as a kid). Catsup is for dipping fries and onion rings in, but mixed with mustard or a little chili powder or steak sauce.

I also like steak, barbecue, or worcestershire sauce, and mustard. I'll take spread mustard if I must, but would rather have powder or seeds, and a VERY small bit of mustard or that's all I taste. None of that wimpy yellow French's either. Chinese mustard is a bit much for me, though.
MSU-fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/19 10:19:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gozergoz

In East Lansing, Michigan(spartan country) there is a bar&grill that goes by the name Crunchies. They make the best burgers I've ever had, from teriyaki burgers(slice of pineapple and teriyaki sause) black and blue burgers(blue cheese dressing and cajun spice) atomic burgers(cayanne pepper mix and tabasco) mushroom burgers, etc. They are just the right kind of greasy and they are served with a basket of potato chips you eat the burgers over to catch the grease and make for an especially unhealthy but delicious night out.

The Peanut Barrel may rival Crunchies...great olive burger there (chopped green olives and "olive sauce"), and you can get it on a rye bun. I"m hungry now, I might have to go there for lunch....
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/08/27 08:50:08 (permalink)
12 OZ.
Charbroiled Medium
A Slice Of Raw Bermuda Onion
A Little Ketchup
A Splash Of Tabasco
On A TOASTED Sourdough ROLL

Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2005/09/01 15:29:35 (permalink)
Grilled half-pound chuck burger
mixed with about 15 percent ground sirloin
and molded with salt and pepper only
Toasted, buttered seseme seed bun
Sliced portobello mushrooms and vidalia onions sauteed
in butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary
Neon green relish
Catsup
Sides: Baked potato, garden green peas, fresh lemonade
Dessert: Kilwin's toasted coconut ice cream
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2006/01/01 23:04:51 (permalink)
Any new takes from all you new posters?
orzobino
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2006/01/02 10:35:12 (permalink)
My wife likes chili on her burger.....turns me off..it could the worst and it still end up tasting like chili............
Tomilynn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2006/01/02 21:41:10 (permalink)
If we're talking non-FF or made at home, I'm a purist - a bit of salt, a bit more pepper, cheese (cheddar or American are perfect, but I'll eat almost any of it) and bacon. The perfect burger needs nothing more.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2006/02/03 14:24:25 (permalink)
I don't think toppings are a regional thing. I think it's personal and what you are in the mood for.

When I do it at home, the burger goes into a cast iron pan to be seared on the outside and medium rare on the inside with some grilled onions and salt only. Occasionally dipped in catsup, ketchup, whatever.

Out I like the classic of lettuce, tomato, 1000 island also medium rare and juicy.

Sometimes I like sharp cheddar and thick bacon. Sometimes ancho chili mayo. Sometimes pepper jack. Maybe some avocado (not mole). Rarely chili or pastrami. Rarely red onion or mushrooms or teriaki.

Mostly I hate them thin and dried out or with worchester sauce in the mix.
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: What Goes On Your Burger? 2006/02/03 18:31:52 (permalink)
Almost a pound of freshly ground beef as a hand-formed paddy, cooked on the medium side of medium-rare, with a dressing made of mayo (or preferably, Miracle Whip), a touch of ketchup, a touch of mustard and green relish, sliced dill pickle, iceberg lettuce, and saute'd mushrooms, on a toasted sesame bun, served with either fries or BBQ potato chips.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1