What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
2004/03/28 18:16:51 (permalink)

What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger?

When I was in my teens, I always preferred the Double-R-Bar Burger from Roy Rogers over any fast food burger in the world. For the unfamiliar, it was a burger (or cheeseburger) with a pile of thinly sliced deli ham on top of the burger.

At some point, they sort of disappeared from the regular Roys menu and now there aren't too many standalone Roys around here in Baltimore. Coincidence?

I often will stop whenever I see a Roys at a turnpike stop during my travels. It's hit or miss endeavor... some places have them and they're just like the sandwich I remember from my youth. Some don't have them at all. Some even soil the memory of this great sandwich by using leftover slabs of ham from their breakfast sandwiches in place of the pillowy deli ham. Sacrilege!

Does anybody have a similar love for the DRBB? Anybody know why it was taken off the regular menu or why it's such a hit or miss affair to find one these days?

I'm obsessing. I apologize...

31 Replies Related Threads

BVIRTS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/03/28 20:29:37 (permalink)
    The 2 Roy's located in Leesburg, VA (Northern VA)still possess the original Dblr-R's. I did not realize they are off the menu at some location. That is complete Sacrilegel!
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/03/29 00:13:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

Is Roy Rogers still in business? I haven't been aware of them in ages.

Ballpark Roadtripper, point your browser to http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com to find out where they still exist today!

-James, happy to have one near me (Cincinnati)
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/03/29 08:40:59 (permalink)
    Woo, yet another Cincinnatian! :-)

Yep, we have one last Roy's here in Cincinnati, and thankfully it is not too far from me on the east side near Eastgate mall.

They do serve the double r bar as described there, as well.

Here's a pic of one I was served last summer - available every day and they sell a TON of them

Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/03/29 21:53:41 (permalink)
    All the RR in the Frederick MD. area serve them.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/03/30 08:57:37 (permalink)
    We dont have a Roy Rogers here in NC anymore but I can still taste them!I think it was the condiment station that made them unique.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/04/06 00:52:09 (permalink)
    I took my kids to the local RR while we were Christmas shopping this year. Now whenever we have hamburgers at home, my son insists on topping his with sliced ham. For my money, there are few things better in life than a Double R Burger, an Apple Cheese Crisp, and a big iced tea from Roy's.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/04/06 08:31:53 (permalink)
    I just went to RR this past weekend, and because of this thread naturally I had to have a Double R. Wonderful!

A coworker of mine says that when his parents come to town, they always insist on hitting the Roy's for their Chicken. I've tried it, but have never been too impressed.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/04/06 12:26:39 (permalink)
    Oh man! That was my all time favorite! Forgot all about it because the Roy's in NJ have just about all but disappeared. There is one on the turnpike but they do not have the Double R. Loved them!! And I had to have the BBQ sauce that came from the packet, not the kind they had at the service bar - they were different. Man I am craving that now! Maybe I'll try to make my own version, but I know it won't be the same!
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/04/06 12:33:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I just went to RR this past weekend, and because of this thread naturally I had to have a Double R. Wonderful!

A coworker of mine says that when his parents come to town, they always insist on hitting the Roy's for their Chicken. I've tried it, but have never been too impressed.

I have few fonder memories than swinging by Roys, picking up a couple Double R Bar Burgers, a box of chicken, and a couple orders of fries (and they tasted like chicken, must've been some kind of grease proximity thing) and then heading into Philly to see a Phillies twi-night doubleheader or a USFL game at The Vet. It was something my buddies and I would do two or three times a summer and there was nothing quite like it.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/04/12 01:25:39 (permalink)
    One of my college friends would take a full bottle each of barbecue and horsey sauce whenever we would eat a meal at Roy's in Newport. He'd take them home and use them up, then bring them back on his next trip and grab new ones. We'd also fight over who got to sit on the barrel with the saddle. (Roy's version of the kiddy seat.) The Eastgate location doesn't have this feature, but I still throw them my business whenever I can.
    The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2004/12/02 15:24:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hungovergourmet

When I was in my teens, I always preferred the Double-R-Bar Burger from Roy Rogers over any fast food burger in the world. For the unfamiliar, it was a burger (or cheeseburger) with a pile of thinly sliced deli ham on top of the burger.

At some point, they sort of disappeared from the regular Roys menu and now there aren't too many standalone Roys around here in Baltimore. Coincidence?

I often will stop whenever I see a Roys at a turnpike stop during my travels. It's hit or miss endeavor... some places have them and they're just like the sandwich I remember from my youth. Some don't have them at all. Some even soil the memory of this great sandwich by using leftover slabs of ham from their breakfast sandwiches in place of the pillowy deli ham. Sacrilege!

Inside the USAir terminal at BWI there is a Roy Rogers, the only one I've seen in a long time. The last time I was there in 2002 the grill cook obliged me by making a Double R Bar Burger, using leftover scraps of breakfast ham. I also got a two piece of Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken. That's what it used to be called, I swear. There even used to be a comic book about the Parkers given away at Hot Shoppes cafeterias.

I think I'm going to have to get a Dairy Queen Ultimate cheeseburger and top it with some Virgina ham on the way home tonight.

TSP
    Liha_Cherokee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/30 17:23:07 (permalink)
    I absolutely love Roy Rogers; and it's an absolute shame that not many are around anymore and those that are, aren't stand alones with the quality they are renowned for. I am frantically searching for their original BBQ Sauce that was put on the roastbeef sandwiches, in bottles on the tables, and fixing bars. Does anyone know where I can get this...I'm starving down here in New Orleans (we don't have RR) . Please I will do anything to get this...even sell my kids, lol.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 10:13:32 (permalink)
    For the possible of obtaining a supply of the bbq suce:

Contact the company via the main website and see if they'll help you
    http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com
    http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/index.cfm/mode/push/Container_Id/397/Container_Top_Level_ID/397/view_only/1.htm

as an alternative, call the Cincinnati Roy Rogers at some off peak time, ask for the manager, and see if they can't arrange to sell/ship you some

513-528-0344

DO NOT CALL between 11 and 2 nor 5-7 - they'll be too busy to help you
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 10:37:09 (permalink)
    What can I tell you, ketchup man, the Roy's here in Cincinnati is very, very good.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 10:39:12 (permalink)
    I was in Frederick, MD this weekend and actually had the opportunity to swing by a Roys and have Double R. Just as good as I remembered and still my favorite fast food burger.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 11:14:57 (permalink)
    There's been occasional discussion of the fall of the Roy's chain. Here's a timeline from their website indicating how Hardee's cannibalized it and practically left it for dead. Guess the new ownership of the marque is trying to revive it. http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/index.cfm/mode/push/Container_Id/382/Container_Top_Level_ID/302/view_only/1.htm

And no, I am not incensed and outraged that this is not in the FFF forum, but go ahead and move it if it will prevent fights.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 11:59:16 (permalink)
    Geezzz, I never even knew they had problems; the only one I ever stop at (just over the CT border on I84 near Sturbridge, MA) has been perking right along.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 12:40:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Top

Geezzz, I never even knew they had problems; the only one I ever stop at (just over the CT border on I84 near Sturbridge, MA) has been perking right along.

Does this Roy's serve the Double R?
    Liha_Cherokee
    Junior Burger
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 15:58:27 (permalink)
    quote:

http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/index.cfm/mode/push/Container_Id/397/Container_Top_Level_ID/397/view_only/1.htm

as an alternative, call the Cincinnati Roy Rogers at some off peak time, ask for the manager, and see if they can't arrange to sell/ship you some

513-528-0344

DO NOT CALL between 11 and 2 nor 5-7 - they'll be too busy to help you

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Unfortunately they won't send it to me because it doesn't have preservatives and has to be refrigerated (I live in New Orleans, LA). Do you have any other ideas or would anyone in that area be willing to package and send it to me...I'LL PAY!!! Thanks so much.
    The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 16:43:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liha_Cherokee

quote:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Unfortunately they won't send it to me because it doesn't have preservatives and has to be refrigerated (I live in New Orleans, LA). Do you have any other ideas or would anyone in that area be willing to package and send it to me...I'LL PAY!!! Thanks so much.

Try here:

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Happy Trails BBQ Sauce?

Oklahoma-based Okie BBQ Products has recently added a new sauce to its line--Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Happy Trails BBQ Sauce.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=5812&si=130
    http://www.okiebbq.com/products.html
    startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 20:37:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link on the BBQ sauce...I gotta check that out and get some!!!!!!
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/05/31 21:17:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

quote:
    Originally posted by Top

Does this Roy's serve the Double R?

Well, I'll tell you: I don't know.
    The reason I stop there is because I DON'T have to have a burger. I usually get a large roast beef, and pile on onions, pickles, greens, and horseradish sauce at the fixins' bar.
    If I want a burger, I'll shoot up I91 at Hartford to Springfield and stop at the White Hut. It's only another 10-15 minutes on the way home to Maine.
    Flay
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/06/03 20:33:00 (permalink)
    I do remember them well They were my favorite also
    quote:
    Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Does anybody have a similar love for the DRBB? Anybody know why it was taken off the regular menu or why it's such a hit or miss affair to find one these days?

I'm obsessing. I apologize...
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/06/07 12:15:57 (permalink)
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....how I miss Roy Rogers. I miss the roast beef and the chicken especially. Come to think of it, I miss Hardee's roast beef and chicken sandwich too!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2006/06/07 12:37:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Top
    The reason I stop there is because I DON'T have to have a burger. I usually get a large roast beef

I get a roast beef and a double-r-bar and skip the fries - not that there's anything wrong with the fries, mind you, just I want to save room for the sandwiches.
    HAMMER77777
    Junior Burger
    Re:What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2010/10/06 19:33:18 (permalink)
    YES BUDDY WE HAVE IT HERE IN NJ...I JUST HAD 2 EARLIER!  GO TO THEIR WEBSITE..I THINK ITS ROYROGERSRESTAURANTS.COM BUT JUST GOOGLE IT
    HAMMER77777
    Junior Burger
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2010/10/06 19:36:22 (permalink)
    GO TO THEIR WEBSITE BRO..NO LOCATIONS IN LA, BUT THERE IN THE NORTHEAST
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2010/10/06 19:53:34 (permalink)
    the only RR's I remember seeing are at the rest areas on the NJ TPKE.
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: What Happened to the Double-R-Bar Burger? 2010/10/07 15:21:26 (permalink)
    Hmmm. Noob resurrecting a six year old thread in all caps.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1