The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 54 of 54
ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 11/20/11 7:40 PM (permalink)
Personally, I do not go for pepperoni on a hoagie, but when we have a hoagie sale at the American Legion, we do put in some pepperoni.

(BTW I live in Ocean City now, but I grew up in Philly in the 40's & 50's)

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
    Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 12:47 PM (permalink)
    just  as a rule of thumb, I find that the  best hoagies come from places that  do not also do pizza. The meat tends to be fresher and  better. I also grew up in Philadelphia.

phlmaestro

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
      Phildelmar

just  as a rule of thumb, I find that the  best hoagies come from places that  do not also do pizza. The meat tends to be fresher and  better. I also grew up in Philadelphia.

I agree. And the same can be said about cheesesteaks. It's not that you can't find solid hoagies and cheesesteaks at pizza places all over the region (where most pizza places that aren't chains also make cheesesteaks and hoagies), but when people list their favorite places to get either of those two sandwiches in the Philly region, the places that are traditionally mentioned generally specialize in making sandwiches rather than being pizza shops that also make sandwiches or the type of place that does everything without specializing in any one thing.
      I guess none of that should be suprising.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
        Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 6:30 PM (permalink)
        Someone better tell Subway because they've sold millions of incorrectly made ones. OMG, It could put them out of business!!! 

ChrisOC

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 6:58 PM (permalink)
          Subway does not sell hoagies.  They sell Subway sandwiches.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 7:04 PM (permalink)
            I agree, ChrisOC-Subway makes their own concoctions, of which I dont eat. They, in no way, resemble a hoagie as I know it!

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
              Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 7:56 PM (permalink)
              So sick of hearing about Amoroso's rolls...  the really aren't very good.   They don't have the right chew to them, they don't have the right crunch/flakiness on the outside, and they don't have the right softness inside.   But I'm pretty sure Amoroso's are available nationwide, or at leat east of Mississippi thru Sysco.

Really there is nothing good I've seen about most of the "Philly Hoagies", much better subs are made here in Delaware by Capriottis, Casapullas, or every mom & pop pizza shop.   The subs made by the Philly chain PrimoHoagies are pretty good for a chain.

I know you're talking about Italian subs.  But as far as a cheesesteak, everything about a Philly is wrong.  Tough meat that hasn't been seasoned, salty cheesewhiz, onions that have been sitting on grill too long, all served on a TINY Amoroso's roll and charged too much.

I'd say make what people in your area like, quit trying to duplicate Philly, as it's nothing but hype.

ChrisOC

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 8:32 PM (permalink)
                ann peeples

I agree, ChrisOC-Subway makes their own concoctions, of which I dont eat. They, in no way, resemble a hoagie as I know it!

If you don't try to think of them as a hoagie, some of their concoctions aren't bad sandwiches.

phlmaestro

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Fri, 12/2/11 10:12 PM (permalink)
                  ChrisOC

Subway does not sell hoagies.  They sell Subway sandwiches.

I won't go into a Subway and didn't go into Quizno's when they were around either. It's almost a pet peeve of mine. It always amazes me that in the home of the cheesesteak, the hoagie, and the Italian roast pork sandwich (and you don't have to go into South Philly or Center City to get a good one ... they're all over the place), there are so many Subways around.

Foodbme

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sat, 12/3/11 12:30 AM (permalink)
                    They may not make an authentic Philly Hoagie but they are now the largest restaurant chain in the world. They must be doing something right! A primo example of supreme restaurant marketing.
                    http://money.msn.com/stock-broker-guided/article.aspx?post=54c8daba-4967-4140-9026-675d1595c289

ann peeples

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sat, 12/3/11 7:37 AM (permalink)
                      No doubt Subway is a sandwich giant in the industry, but the discussion is about hoagies, of which they do not serve. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can satisfy my cravings without settling for a chain.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                        Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sat, 12/3/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
                        I've had my best luck at places that are primarilly italian delis, where they  sell a lot of meats and the turnover is  so rapid that they are  always fresh. even better are the few surviving entities which cure their own.

ann peeples

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sat, 12/3/11 11:13 AM (permalink)
                          We have great Italian deli's in Milwaukee and Kenosha(Gloriosos in Milw., Tenutas in Kenosha)-serve absolutey wonderful italian meats-but you  better pronounce it right!

Foodbme

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 1:11 AM (permalink)
                            ann peeples

No doubt Subway is a sandwich giant in the industry, but the discussion is about hoagies, of which they do not serve. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can satisfy my cravings without settling for a chain.

I'm not suggesting they make an authentic hoagie but they do make an Italian BMT:
                            http://www.subway.com/menu/product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35&ProductId=9
                            And a Spicy Italian:
                            http://www.subway.com/menu/product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35&ProductId=74
                            They're close but they get no cigar!

MiamiDon

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 6:12 AM (permalink)
                              After reading through this thread, I had a hankering for an Italian sandwich.  I got a sub called "The Italian" from Capriotti's in Palmetto Bay.  It comes with Capicola, Genoa Salami, Mortadella and Prosciutto.  Standard additions are lettuce, tomato, onions or red onions, oregano, oil & vinegar.  I opted to add roasted peppers and provolone.  All in all, a nice sandwich, with crusty bread. 

Looking at the ingredients, it is odd that they charge extra for cheese.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                Miami Don, I agree...no provolone on an Italian sub. is strange...how much extra for what should have been included?

MiamiDon

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                  $0.99 for the provolone, according the menu, Lee.
                                  edit:  Wife found the receipt - They did charge the $0.99
                                  <message edited by MiamiDon on Sun, 12/4/11 10:43 AM>

falco

• Total Posts: 5
                                    Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 11:55 AM (permalink)
                                    When in Pittsburgh-please go a bit East to the humble borough of Swissvale, where the Triangle Grille serves a hoagy that is called The Battleship-it is beyond awesome.
                                                                                              Falco

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                      ann peeples

leethebard

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                        Wow....why not include the cheese. It's a traditional part of an Italian sub...and subtract .99 if you don't want it??? Strange!!!
                                        MiamiDon

$0.99 for the provolone, according the menu, Lee.
                                        edit:  Wife found the receipt - They did charge the $0.99

wheregreggeats.com

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                          PNWCHEF

saps

stricken_detective

sonjaab
                                          What no comments on "gobba-goo" meat on those Ital. subs?
                                          aka mortadella and/or prociutto ????????????
                                          Is this English?

The only mistake that he made was missing an "s" on prosciutto.  "Gobba-goo" or "gobbagool" or "gobbagol" is a slangy pronunciation of capicola.  I've heard old-italians use it (such as my grandparents), but I haven't heard it in years.

I was standing in line in a Italian deli once, a lady ordered Capicola, the Italian deli owner said, I'm going to tell you once, it's not Capicola, Its Gabba-gool, now how much would you like. That's how you get your orientation at your local Italian deli.
                                          1. gabagool. "Gabagool" is slang for "capicola." It is not a mispronunciation, but is instead in Napolitan dialect, which is what the Sopranos and many Italian-Americans use.
                                          The rule in this dialect is to chop off ending vowels and to voice unvoiced consonants.

Ricotta-"rigot"
                                          Manicotti-"manigot"

Thanks.
                                          If it weren't for that, I might not have learned anything at all today.

leethebard

Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                            wheregreggeats.com

saps

stricken_detective

sonjaab
                                            What no comments on "gobba-goo" meat on those Ital. subs?
                                            aka mortadella and/or prociutto ????????????
                                            Is this English?

The only mistake that he made was missing an "s" on prosciutto.  "Gobba-goo" or "gobbagool" or "gobbagol" is a slangy pronunciation of capicola.  I've heard old-italians use it (such as my grandparents), but I haven't heard it in years.

I was standing in line in a Italian deli once, a lady ordered Capicola, the Italian deli owner said, I'm going to tell you once, it's not Capicola, Its Gabba-gool, now how much would you like. That's how you get your orientation at your local Italian deli.
                                            1. gabagool. "Gabagool" is slang for "capicola." It is not a mispronunciation, but is instead in Napolitan dialect, which is what the Sopranos and many Italian-Americans use.
                                            The rule in this dialect is to chop off ending vowels and to voice unvoiced consonants.

Ricotta-"rigot"
                                            Manicotti-"manigot"

Thanks.
                                            If it weren't for that, I might not have learned anything at all today.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                              Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                              PNWCHEF

I found this instructional video about ordering in an Italian deli to be extremely helpful.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                                                Re:What Makes the Philadelphia Italian Hoagie Different? Sun, 12/4/11 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                                ScreamingChicken

PNWCHEF

I found this instructional video about ordering in an Italian deli to be extremely helpful.

but he still didn't get his sandwich......you need to learn fast if you want to get the best.........

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 54 of 54

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com