What Won't You Eat?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15226
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 08:35:28 (permalink)
Cosmo...
Tons of Mexican dishes don't use that nasty-looking imitation parsley (Cilantro)!!!
P S- I don't eat parsley either !
P P S- Now I feel bad cuz we were going to invite you to a Syracuse Mickey Dee's on our next trip East...To sample the Oyster and Liver Happy Meal !
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 08:46:04 (permalink)
Won't eat: pineapple (allergic), peas, liver, wax beans, Indian food

Everything else is pretty much fair game (including game).
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 08:50:27 (permalink)
Liver, fish roe, pressed turkey, raisins (ok stand-alone but never as an ingredient in something else)
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 09:12:09 (permalink)
Lessee...

My hates: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and sauerkraut.

Want to like, and keep trying: zucchini and soft-shells

Doesn't like me: goat (ay yi yi--that's a memory that makes me wince)

And that's about it...everything else, bring it on.

The funny thing is though, I used to be the PICKIEST eater when I was a kid. There wasn't too much I liked to eat at all. My mom took me to the doctor, she was so worried about me not eating. I would actually cry when it was meal times. I hated pretty much everything. I wish I could pick the moment of my awakening, but I can't pinpoint it. I guess it was a gradual thing. Now I love and respect food so much. Can food be a hobby? I love to read it, write it, eat it, make it, grow it, you name it!!!!

Meowzart
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 09:35:30 (permalink)
Back in 1983 we lived in Jamaica for a year--Granny Becka--the woman whose yard we lived in-once told me that i was the only white she ever met that would eat anything--comes from my Italian upbringing--"if they serve it to you ---you eat it!"--but alas--she was not quite right---so what wont i eat---anything from McDonalds---and a bunch of other places like it,canned peas,liver cooked in truck stops,and my ultimate wont eat---pizza with fruit on it!!!
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 09:55:22 (permalink)
I forgot the Lima Beans, How could I forget the Lima Beans?" /> I really hate those little things. When my mom would make her crab soup she would put limas in it (I leave em out of mine) We had a running joke about when we would eat the soup. Invariably her bowl would have nary a one in it, while mine would be loaded with the little buggers. I always said the beans figured that they were safe if they made it to my bowl.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 10:23:59 (permalink)
Brussel sprouts

Cabrito (goat)

Coconut milk based curries

Javelina
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 11:08:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

Lessee...

My hates: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and sauerkraut.

Want to like, and keep trying: zucchini and soft-shells

Doesn't like me: goat (ay yi yi--that's a memory that makes me wince)

And that's about it...everything else, bring it on.

The funny thing is though, I used to be the PICKIEST eater when I was a kid. There wasn't too much I liked to eat at all. My mom took me to the doctor, she was so worried about me not eating. I would actually cry when it was meal times. I hated pretty much everything. I wish I could pick the moment of my awakening, but I can't pinpoint it. I guess it was a gradual thing. Now I love and respect food so much. Can food be a hobby? I love to read it, write it, eat it, make it, grow it, you name it!!!!

Meowzart
You must be my long-lost twin. Sounds like me as a kid and now. I only ate hamburgers, french fries and apple sauce or corn as a kid. Ditto on the doctor, he told my mom to make me sit at the table until I ate everything on the plate. I stayed there for 3-4 hours w/o eating. Now, I appreciate food, the stories, the recipes, the science behind cooking, etc. I blamed it on my mom's cooking, but I was just a bratty kid I guess. My revelation? Who knows, but I'm glad for the change. I still hate canned peas or green beans and anything w/ curry. I dislike citrus fruits in cakes and canot eat any citrus within an hour of any dairy product.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 13:20:52 (permalink)
Organ meats in general. Yuch! Okra. Double Yuch!
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 13:29:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

Okra. Double Yuch!

Some anti-okra folks I know will eat battered and fried okra. This is because the gelatinous ooze that scares away so many does not develop with this cooking method. Can you handle fried okra?
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 13:36:26 (permalink)
Over the years, I've never turned down anything presented to me as food unless it was obviously unsanitary. Also, fortunately I don't seem to have any food allergies.

Foods I won't eat (tried 'em, don't like 'em): beets, turnips, menudo (any kind of tripe, really), head cheese, greens (collard, mustard, turnip), manufactured taste food in general. Having eaten free range beef, I think Bushie and I, perhaps others, can attest to how far processed beef is from the real thing. Thats about it.

Places I won't eat: McD's, Wendy's, KFC - BK is ok very occasionally, Popeye's is decent. Smaller local and regional chains are generally much better and more interesting.

I LOVE fried Okra; really don't like it otherwise, except in Gumbo's.
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 13:41:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kangolpimp

quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

Okra. Double Yuch!

Some anti-okra folks I know will eat battered and fried okra. This is because the gelatinous ooze that scares away so many does not develop with this cooking method. Can you handle fried okra?

I looked "Okra" up in Webster's dictionary:

"A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods."

Mr. Webster also had a problem with its mucilaginousness.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 13:48:38 (permalink)
Elise T -
Chocolate Chimp Cookies made my day. How about Leftover Lemurs?

During Carnival in Mobile (the other Mardi Gras) one of the traditional throws is (are) Moon Pies. You can only use so many plastic trinkets, but you can never have too many Moon Pies. A great things to do with them is 30 secs in the microwave and dump a little ice cream on top . MMMMMMMMM
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 14:10:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
Thank you, thank you, shows at 2 and 6 daily. Don't forget to tip your server.

Do I have to return her to the full upright and locked position when we're through?

Eric

Alright Bushie, you gotta admit that is probably the funniest thing ever written on this site!!!!

While I'm here, I would like to add poi and marmite to my list.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 14:16:17 (permalink)
Caraway, for some reason makes me totally nausious. My first experience was a birthday cake brought to school in the first grade. Made with Caraway. Loaded with the filthy buggers. Go figure. Why on earth feed something like that to first graders? My loathing has lasted 41 years though, and still going strong!

Any organ meat. Most shell fish.
Tried a bunch of stuff, but won't return for seconds, thank you.
emmymom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 14:21:30 (permalink)
I Hate Mint (the sweet kind, although I can tolerate the herb in savory foods.) Don't try to kiss ME with toothpaste breath, ICK!!!

Don't like red beets or bologna (although I liked bologna as a kid, go figure.)

Tried goat once, couldn't get it down.

I love liver, though. And almost everything else.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 14:33:23 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

quote:
Thank you, thank you, shows at 2 and 6 daily. Don't forget to tip your server.

Do I have to return her to the full upright and locked position when we're through?

Alright Bushie, you gotta admit that is probably the funniest thing ever written on this site!!!!

While I'm here, I would like to add poi and marmite to my list.

You know, it took me a minute to get it; I read it this morning, then walked in to the kitchen to make coffee. Suddenly, I got the connection with "tipping" the server, then stood there by myself and laughed out loud!

You're right about POI ! I have NO idea how anyone ever liked that stuff.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3960
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 14:39:15 (permalink)
My list of "will" is a lot longer than "won't". No softboiled or fried eggs! I won't eat rabbit, trout, snails, tongue, heartor most of the other offal. Chopped liver though I love! Outside of that----I eat just about anything----including the dreaded sea urchin!
Lone Star
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 15:56:49 (permalink)
I adored liver and onions as a child, but cannot eat it after nursing school. All those little Kupffer cells. Yech.
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 16:18:17 (permalink)
I am very much a "meat & potatoes" type, and I would bet that the list of what I eat is shorter than what I won't. But here's a few of what I won't...anything deemed chinese or mexican. Candy, livers, gizzards or other odd innards. Eels, squid, goat, lamb. No exotic vegtables that are meant to be garnishes. Anything from Pizza Hut, Dominos or Papa Johns.
Hiram Callahan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 16:29:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

You can add candy cigarettes to the list too, though I think they are gone forever! As a 70's kid whose both parents (and it seemed like everyone else who came over) smoked, I found them offensive even then---especially after my sister (then three) exclaimed at the candy store "let's get the kind that mommy smokes"! , Yes they were foul, and they also tasted lousy!

I hate to tell you, Stan, but candy "stix" are alive and well and available in specialty candy stores. The brands on the "stix" packages are too much. My favorite: Yukon Gold. You can't make this stuff up folks.

Despite many efforts, and one genuinely good experience, I will not eat mussels. They are just too often nasty. I don't much care for bluefish, intestines, or that green stuff in lobsters either. My girlfriend, out once for dim sum with Chinese friends, ate chicken feet so as not to be thought a gwailo, and still regrets it. Oh, and the first time I ever tried to eat pasteles--sort of a Caribbean tamal--I could just barely swallow a little bit.
Lone Star
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 16:34:10 (permalink)
Is a gwailo the same thing as a gringo?
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 17:36:37 (permalink)
So much to say on this topic that I'll do multiple posts:

Chain restaurant I absolutely refuse to eat at: Arby's. What "passes" for cow in that establishment makes wet cardboard appetizing by comparison.

Chain restaurants I'd only eat at in emergencies: McD's, Denny's

Foods that I will avoid under any circumstance (i.e., I'll spit it out and starve to death rather than allow it to touch my taste buds):
liver and other organ meats, anchovies, hardboiled eggs.

Things I'd prefer not to eat under any circumstances (but, if starving to death on a desert island, would nonetheless consume): sushi, oysters, lima beans, anything coconut "flavored", smoked fish.

Oh, and I absolutely love cilantro ... can't get enough of it ... pile it on almost any food product mexican or asian.

I don't suppose there's any food I would refuse try on purely ideological grounds, except for endangered species or personal friends.
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 17:39:16 (permalink)
Cato:

I've always said that the first bite makes you curious, it's the second helping that actually makes you a cannibal.

Eric
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 17:40:25 (permalink)
quote:

Where do they serve primate? Chocolate chimp cookies? Rhesus peanut butter cups?

What about ape-ricots?
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 17:44:24 (permalink)
Foods that I enjoy the taste of but which I must avoid because they create considerable physical distress: peanuts and tomato juice.

Also, I can't chew gum due to TMJ (and the popping noises my jaw makes drives anyone unfortunate enough to be my companion to distraction).
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 17:55:19 (permalink)
As mentioned above, liver is one of those foods which I would rather starve to death than eat. As a child, it was forced upon me in many disguises, none of which deceived me. My father actually lied to me a number of times, telling me the food placed in front of me was "steak", or "veal cutlet", and when I trustingly began eating, I discovered his subterfuge.

This experience led me, during childhood, to be somewhat paranoic about liver. I can clearly recall asking my mother questions like, "If you are in the army, will they force you to eat liver?", or "What if you're in jail and they serve you liver?"

(Time passes. Calendar pages ruffled by the breezes of the passing years, tear off and disappear.)

As a teenager in the 1960s in southern California, I was an eager participant in hippy culture, and did eventually run away from home to San Francisco (Haight-Ashbury). When apprehended, my mother decided to send me to juvenile hall to "teach her a lesson". Can you guess what the first meal was? Yes, indeed, it was really liver.

No, they didn't force me to eat it. It did, however, prove to me that my childhood fears had been fully justified.
damman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 18:34:41 (permalink)
There are very few things on my 'won't eat' list. Have tried nearly all N. American domestic and game animals and most parts thereof. Sure, b-b-q snake etc. My wife was on vacation in the UK this spring and brought me a canned Haggis from Scotland. That is the stomach of a young sheep stuffed with oatmeal and....err I don't know what all. Gag!!! Eating this stuff would make a catfish commit sucide.
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 19:26:46 (permalink)
Hmmmmmm . . great topic. If I may add ...

Don't like: Liver, peas (remind my of zits); beans of pretty much any type, salmon (so many people rave about it, I just can't seem to develop a taste for it), sushi (tried it once when it was all the rage, almost hurled, could't for the life of me understand all the hype), sardines.

Never tried, don't intend to, "just can't do it": Squid, octopus, any type of organs that you can't play in church, tripe (stomach lining, that is, not the fish), headcheese, tongue, anything with the word "blood" in it.

As for the chop suey story: I read once about a woman who, when she was pregnant, had almost insatiable cravings for chop suey with peanut butter and jelly mixed in. Her husband was so grossed out he had to leave the house when she ate it. I had some pretty odd cravings when during my pregnancies, but that tops all mine.
Mezzullas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 20:08:34 (permalink)
I will no longer eat hot dogs or sausage, although I admit that I wish I could change my mind about the sausage...it usually smells pretty good. I won't eat hideous processed chicken products (you know the sort I mean...like McNuggets) or any kind of fast food beef. Now that I mention it, I've begun to shy away from ground beef altogether, it seems.

I've never tried any liver other than chicken, but I do like those.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1