What Won't You Eat?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/16 20:28:22 (permalink)
The cholesterol in a serving of brains and eggs is breathtaking...a single serving of the Armour Pork Brains in Milk Gravy weighs in with a whopping 1180% of the RDA for cholesterol. By comparison, a Double Quarter Pounder With Cheese is around 56%. Granted, dietary cholesterol isn't the cholesterol that shows up in your blood, but ewwwwwwwww.

Eric
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/16 21:07:15 (permalink)
I have no idea of the difference in cholesterol count of a brains and eggs breakfast made with Armor Pork Brains in Milk Gravy (many cans of which I years ago sold in an old country store) and one made with fresh calves brains, but, in my opinion, as far as taste goes, they are two entirely different dishes; that made with canned pork brains barely edible; that made with freshly home butchered calves brains being a breakfast fit for the gods (and one which I've unfortunately not had in years). I'd love to have some for breakfast in the morning. And, I guess if the cholestrol from the fresh brains and eggs dish was not bad enough, we always had it with buttered toast and bacon on the side. In years past I have seen many people nearly gag at the mention of brains & eggs, but never saw a one of them who ever tasted it that you then didn't have to beat away from the bowl if you hoped to get any. I've heard before of this brains being "outlawed" thing (federally, state, locally??) as a food, but have never seen anything in print re the matter, so have no idea if its true or not. In any event, I never knew anyone to suffer any ill effects of brains from our farm raised cattle of long ago.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/17 03:31:58 (permalink)
Liver from anything except poultry, and then very cautiously. Exception: braunschweiger.

Chitlin's. I've eaten them in the past when forced to do so for professional "political" reasons, but hope never to be in that situation.

Uncooked or undercooked seafood, except oysters. Haven't been exposed to other raw bi- or monovalves, so would at least taste.

Would try just about anything, I think, at least once, with the probable exception of some bugs.
Rick F.
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/17 03:49:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by catosaurus

Originally posted by EliseT

Where do they serve primate? Chocolate chimp cookies? Rhesus peanut butter cups?

And what do they serve it with? Humanitea?
Rick F.
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/17 03:53:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by damman

My wife was on vacation in the UK this spring and brought me a canned Haggis from Scotland. That is the stomach of a young sheep stuffed with oatmeal and....err I don't know what all.

I was in Scotland some time ago and aasked what parts of the sheep were used. After some consideration, I was told, "Well, I don't think they use the hairy bits."
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 10:56:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Craig328

Won't eat liver unless it's in the form of Jewish Styled Chopped Chicken Liver toe kind frequently encountered at delis. My dear wife makes it for me only once a year at Christmas. Also refuse to eat anything encountered amongst the bovine/pork intestinal tract. Strangely I love Hagis, British Blood sausage and Kippers.

Christmas Chopped Liver sounds like one of the great ethnic/holiday food anomalies of all time. This could potentially be a topic of its own. You know, kind of like serving up a big ol' Hannukah Ham.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 11:46:31 (permalink)
At a school pot-luck supper I noticed a crockpot of a sloppy-joe looking dish. The label on the pot called it"BAMBI BBQ (VENISON)". It was quite good, but I noticed that a number of folks avoided it, a couple of the younger set made unfavorable comments to their parents when they read the label.
So to link this to Howard's multi-cultural holiday mix.... Perhaps we should introduce the EASTER BUNNY as the traditional main dish of the Great American Easter Feast?
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 11:50:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hastyman

Canned peas. Boneless, skinless, moistureless, flavorless chicken breast. Anything served at McDonald's after 10:30 AM. Anything served at (let's just say "a well-known chain Italian place that likes you to think it's always packed to the gills with Italian-American extended families") any time of the day. Gas station coffee, as distinct from convenience store coffee. Off-brand non-Oreo Oreos (what's the point?). Soggy, sticky-sweet General Tso's Chicken that's been mouldering in the buffet line for an hour and a half. Generic diet cola.

Life's too short to eat any of that garbage.

With the exception of the canned peas (I’ve never had them), I really enjoy all of the food items you mentioned! I guess it just goes to show that we all have different tastes!
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 12:15:29 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor,

To tie into your Bunny for Easter meal concept: My wife ordered the Jerk Duck dinner special at Automatic Slim's in Memphis about 15 minutes after we finished watching those adorable ducks walking the red carpet in the lobby at the Peabody Hotel. Although I gave her alot of mock grief about her dinner choice, I actually thought it was pretty funny.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 12:29:29 (permalink)
Mayor -

The Bambi bbq reminded me of my Father. My two nephews had a Boy Scout dinner themed around camping and cowboys. My dad made a skillet of his cornbread for their contribution. Being the smart-alec that he his, he placed a little sign on the cornbread that said "Cherokee cornbread" ( he is a okie/cherokee mix).

He had more fun that night listening to people say "did you try some of that delicious indian cornbread?" and people wondering where they could get the recipie.

He still laughs about it.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 22:15:15 (permalink)
Okay, For Christmas dinner - Standing Rib Roast of Rudolph followed by a bowlful of jelly
Rick F.
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/18 23:45:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

My wife ordered the Jerk Duck dinner special at Automatic Slim's in Memphis about 15 minutes after we finished watching those adorable ducks walking the red carpet in the lobby at the Peabody Hotel.

I have ALWAYS wanted to skulk into the Peabody lobby at 5:00 wearing camouflage and carrying a shotgun! Did you know that no duck in any form is served there?
ocdreamr
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 00:46:08 (permalink)
Isn't that discrimination? I mean, I could understand that if he wasn't dressed or something like that but I can't understand it just based on the fact he is a duck. So I guess the ones in the fountain are really just token ducks?
Rick F.
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 01:19:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Isn't that discrimination? I mean, I could understand that if he wasn't dressed or something like that but I can't understand it just based on the fact he is a duck. So I guess the ones in the fountain are really just token ducks?

That's the problem. Dressing ducks takes pretty specialized equipment. You can find such things in the back pages of outdoor magazines in late fall.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 04:41:52 (permalink)
OC-
Getting a little sassy this morning, are we??? First the Plain and Peanut thing, and now I find this Duck,Duck thing over here.... Going a bit, "DAFFY" ? No coffee for you after 7pm !
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 05:20:08 (permalink)
Last week I was visiting my brother, and showed up at the dinner table wearing a T-shirt I had recently bought to lounge around in. He offered me the platter of venison, then everyone paused and looked at my shirt...you guessed it...Bambi.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 09:03:05 (permalink)
That's the problem. Dressing ducks takes pretty specialized equipment. You can find such things in the back pages of outdoor magazines in late fall.

How do you dress a duck? I know that they are always in tails, but what do they do for a casual occasion? Do you think a feather boa is too much for a crawfish boil? Do they put on their pants one leg at a time, like everybody else?

There is not much that I won't at least try. I was raised in the Mississippi Delta and have lived in New Orleans all of my adult life ( I am an adult no matter what my Mama says). Being raised down here means that every opportunity is given to eat "everything but the oink" as they say. I have noticed alot of people saying they won't eat head cheese or innards. I love 'em, although I can do without being in a kitchen when someone (my mother, an otherwise genteel, cultured woman) is making head cheese for the holidays. Man does it stink!

I am not really very fond of (although I will eat) mashed foods of the middle eastern variety. I am however, crazy about all of the roasted meats in the middle eastern style. I don't eat bugs of any sort (crickets, roaches, grubs, etc.). I go to Oaxaca every other day for "Los dias de los Muertos" and those people in that part of Mexico love a fried bug. Not me. Crickets are lonly good for catching fish.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 09:05:11 (permalink)
Correction,

Oaxaca every other year. Every other day would be silly and tiring.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 16:14:39 (permalink)
Plus, imagine the sugar shakes from eating so many sugar skulls!
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 20:49:18 (permalink)
Generally I'll try whatever's on the menu, but I won't be going back for more:
Tripe in all its incarnations
Lower invertebrates that show up in Chinese restaurants (jellyfish, sea urchin, etc)
Tongue

I like all vegetables; pretty much always have - but not canned, especially asparagus, spinach, and (gad) sauerkraut. I remember when canned sauerkraut was first foisted on us in the grade school cafeteria - the smell filled the building and I thought there was an outbreak of gangrene.

Never had it, never will: chicken feet, brains, sweetbreads.
ocdreamr
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/19 21:30:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

OC-
Getting a little sassy this morning, are we??? First the Plain and Peanut thing, and now I find this Duck,Duck thing over here.... Going a bit, "DAFFY" ? No coffee for you after 7pm !

That reminds me Mr Mayor of something else I can't abide -Coffee in all it's forms & permutations, tastes like burnt dirt to me - as for mocha, what a terrible waste of perfectly good chocolat. If I need a caffiene fix it's either diet coke or Morning thunder tea
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/20 00:42:47 (permalink)
Coffee? That's one of the things my husband won't touch, although he likes the smell of it and will eat chocolate covered espresso beans. Strange boy, that one.
Wiseguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/26 17:01:41 (permalink)
I won't eat anything that smells funny.
Limburger cheese being one of the main culprits.
I don't like some seafoods,Like clams and oysters in the shell, YUCK! It's the "slimy" part that ruins is.

I don't like heavily spicy food either,a little spice is good,but not when it's instant heartburn inducing.
I'll eat most things if they are fresh and prepared right.

Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/03 17:07:38 (permalink)
I won't eat escargot, oysters or clams, mexican barbacoa or goat (unfortunate childhood experience making a pet out of a goat intended for dinner. And you won't find Spam in my kitchen.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/03 18:04:09 (permalink)
I will not eat Watermelon or Sauerkraut. Oddly enough, my late mother told me she craved both of these the entire nine months she was pregnant with me. The smell of either is enough to make me queasy. (I did, however, make a wonderful watermelon dessert for friends once, but I wore a surgical mask the entire time I was making it.)

I don't like beef liver or any other quadruped liver. That goes for liverwurst and braunschweiger too. Chicken livers are OK, though.

I will not eat McDonald's. Ever again.

I will not eat Head Cheese. Even if you call it Souse Meat.

I will not eat tongue. I know folks who love it; my acquaintance, Kai, who is from Sierra Leone is crazy for it. But to me, tongue is best described by Roy McKie and Henry Beard in their humorous dictionary Coo'-king as a dish that crosses the line between "cut of beef" and "piece of dead cow."

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/03 18:23:50 (permalink)
Have to add another food I won't eat. This is another thread topic: Blueberry burgers. Nope, won't eat 'em.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/03 18:32:28 (permalink)
The Sundancer is not adventurous. If it is out of the ordinary, I just can't do it. I was in Amsterdam a few years ago on a meeting. My guest took us to this very nice restaurant. He ordered for us and along with several nice wines, he ordered steak tartar. I did not know what it was and when I got it, it reminded me of dog food. I did enjoy the wine and I passed on the dinner.

I do not do offal, organs or turnips.

As long as what I am use to is available, that is where I will stay.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/04 13:02:40 (permalink)
Having been fortunate enough to live on four continents and travel to the rest of them, the ONE and ONLY thing I will never, ever again eat is here in Alaska: muktuk.....whale blubber and also the whale meat. DISGUSTING. Smells like rotten festering fish and tastes 100 times worse. Yuck.Bring on the fried crickets, foies gras, oysters, sweetbreads and all the rest but forget about the whale!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/04 13:16:42 (permalink)
I've seen and smelled natto up close, and it is just repulsive. My mother in law loves it, although she admits the natto diehards are usually small japanese schoolchildren.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/08/04 14:58:10 (permalink)
A war story and something I would not eat: In Vietnam, the locals would catch small fish and throw them on the metal roof to dry. The resulting juice which would emanate from the fish would trickle down into jars. This "sauce" was called Nuc mam (SP.?) and was poured on their rice dishes. I stick to the c-rations.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1