What Won't You Eat?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2003/07/10 18:47:00 (permalink)

What Won't You Eat?

Sundancer 7 earlier today informed us that even when presented with the opportunity to try sweetbreads, that they weren't for him. This got me to thinking that it may prove an interesting topic for the Roadfooders to list foods they either will never try, or have tried and won't ever eat again. Chime in with several, or only one. If it's a common item that many people usually like (but you don't) that should prove all the more interesting to hear about. For example, mayonnaise falls into that category for lots of people. Myself, I am fairly adventurous and will try nearly anything. I enjoy many things that people absolutely can't stand, anchovies, natto, durian, tofu. But I have never tried insects of any kind nor do I plan to, nor have I tried snake, and also never plan to. I can't think of anything common that I won't eat, much as I would like to for the sake of this topic.

How 'bout all of you?

135 Replies Related Threads

BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 18:55:48 (permalink)
    I can't eat a White Castle burger, creamed cauliflower or broccoli-cheese soup. For dessert, I've won't eat anything caramel.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 19:09:23 (permalink)
    Ham and non-fish seafood.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 19:17:53 (permalink)
    Sundancer does not do offal. That is not to mean't that it ain't good, it is just that due to my upbringing, I cannot do it.

I was in Argentina and they did everything BBQ including all glands. I cannot do that. I am sorry, but it ain't for me. My grandparents did souse meat and I could not do that.

Quite frankly, I do not enjoy anything out of the ordinary including snake, alligator or another other nondomesticated non grain fed animals.

I could easily become a vegetarian. I have nothing against aforementioned, I just can't do it.

I am getting along just fine with what I choose to eat.

Others have discussed hot dogs and sausage. I really have a hard timewith that also although I occasionally serve.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 20:00:21 (permalink)
    The only foods I will not eat under any circumstances are red radishes (ICKY) and primate (unsafe).

I have a profound allergy to shellfish and dairy protein, but when weakness strikes, I'll load up on antihistamines and have a small portion. If you're gonna go, go with a smile.

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 20:15:13 (permalink)
    Where do they serve primate? Chocolate chimp cookies? Rhesus peanut butter cups?
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 20:29:27 (permalink)
    LIVER - it and I avoid each other by mutual consent, it doesn't like me as much as I don't like it. Now, I will eat it in disguised forms (liverwurst & braunsweiger) Not particularly fond of hot tomato products, didn't eat pizza or tomato sauce until my late teens, still don't like stewed or fried tomatoes. You can keep the anchovies, tried em and Blaspheme of blasphemes for a Marylander, born & bred, but I hate oysters" /> No matter what way I try them, they won't stay down.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 20:43:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Where do they serve primate? Chocolate chimp cookies? Rhesus peanut butter cups?

Elise, although many, many of your posts make me laugh, this may be the best so far. My wife and I are both sitting here laughing...
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 20:53:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

LIVER - it and I avoid each other by mutual consent, it doesn't like me as much as I don't like it...

I can't handle cow liver, OC, but I love chicken livers. In general, I don't do internal organs, although I've taken many little bites over the years to try things. (I do eat Mexican chorizo and tamales, so I am willing to eat some things if I can't identify the body part.)

I will not eat blood sausage.

I will not eat at Grandy's.

Oh, almost forgot my original "disgusting food", which I have never even tried; HEAD CHEESE.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 21:15:44 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Once when I was about ten years old my mother served chop suey for dinner. I inserted a glob of peanut butter on mine, stirred well, and proceeded to clean my plate, to everyone's total mystification.
    "What's good enough for Baby Huey is good enough for me," I informed them.
    "Son, he wears a diaper," my father intoned. "If you persist in corrupting your mother's good food in this sort of manner, I'll be forced to pin one on you. Then all you'll need is a bill and you'll look just like Baby Huey." And then he bellowed a laugh that could be heard clear down the street.
    I've always wanted to try that again, this time using all-natural peanut butter instead of the Jif we kept on hand. Creamy might well go better than crunchy.
    If anyone is fool enough to try this, please feel free to post.
    Perhaps we can subsequently add a personally-favored-antacid topic as an antidote.
    Rambling Around The Fringes (As Usual), Ort. Carlton in sticky Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. It's apropos that a blues singer in Chicago adopted the Baby Huey monicker for himself. I sincerely doubt he shared an adoration for the aforenamed concoction, however.
    P. P. S. If there is anything I absolutely won't eat, I have yet to find it. Brains and eggs, chitterlings, livermush, scrapple, head cheese, luncheon loaf, whatever... I have favorites, but something has to be pretty inherently dreadful for me to turn my nose up at it, catlike.
    P. P. P. S. Primate? Honey, that's hitting too close to home. Like dog or cat. No go. Possum, yes. Rattlesnake, yes. Vension, yes. Wild hog, absolutely... but nothing any more truly close to that fine line of acceptability-to-my-relatively-open-Westernized-mind.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 21:16:11 (permalink)
    Mushrooms. I'm allergic to them. Lord knows I've tried over the years, but they just make me very ill.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 21:19:20 (permalink)
    I will try just about anything there is. My feeling is that if someone eats it, it has to be ok.......BUT.....I will not eat goat! We have Indian and African friends who eat it all the time but I cannot bring myself to try it. I guess it stems back to childhood when my best friend had a bunch of goats tethered in the backyard next door to her. The smell will always remain with me." /> Another food that I would never eat is horsemeat. When we were in France for a summer, our host and hostess kept trying to get us to eat it but there was no way I was going to even attempt it
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 22:00:20 (permalink)
    There is a big difference between not eating something because you don't care for it, and not eating something because it does VERY BAD things to you.
    On the "I don't care for them" list for me, Calimari, rutabaga, boiled turnips, and most tofu. Mint Chip ice cream brings back memories of Phillips Milk of Magnesia...bad memories !!
    On the "It does bad things to me" list. First, understand that this list didn't exist a year ago...but now after some heavy duty surgery last winter. My days of Steak and Prime Rib are over. I can do beef in ground form, and in BBQ,,,but grilled or roasted and I am suffering 'big-time' for days. I can do lamb, pork, all seafood, etc but chunk beef is evil to me at this time. This is really hard on my because I have always been a red-meat eater.
    I do avoid wild-game, mainly as a precaution against some of the recent health concerns about unsafe critter's in the woods. As a 'former' deer-hunter/harvester I have seen enough 'unsafe' meat in the woods to warn me away from it at the table.
    Other than that, this senior citizen doesn't fuss much about what is placed before him!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 22:03:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    Once when I was about ten years old my mother served chop suey for dinner. I inserted a glob of peanut butter on mine, stirred well, and proceeded to clean my plate, to everyone's total mystification.
    "What's good enough for Baby Huey is good enough for me," I informed them.
    "Son, he wears a diaper," my father intoned. "If you persist in corrupting your mother's good food in this sort of manner, I'll be forced to pin one on you. Then all you'll need is a bill and you'll look just like Baby Huey." And then he bellowed a laugh that could be heard clear down the street.
    I've always wanted to try that again, this time using all-natural peanut butter instead of the Jif we kept on hand. Creamy might well go better than crunchy.
    If anyone is fool enough to try this, please feel free to post.
    Perhaps we can subsequently add a personally-favored-antacid topic as an antidote.
    Rambling Around The Fringes (As Usual), Ort. Carlton in sticky Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. It's apropos that a blues singer in Chicago adopted the Baby Huey monicker for himself. I sincerely doubt he shared an adoration for the aforenamed concoction, however.
    P. P. S. If there is anything I absolutely won't eat, I have yet to find it. Brains and eggs, chitterlings, livermush, scrapple, head cheese, luncheon loaf, whatever... I have favorites, but something has to be pretty inherently dreadful for me to turn my nose up at it, catlike.
    P. P. P. S. Primate? Honey, that's hitting too close to home. Like dog or cat. No go. Possum, yes. Rattlesnake, yes. Vension, yes. Wild hog, absolutely... but nothing any more truly close to that fine line of acceptability-to-my-relatively-open-Westernized-mind.

Ort., you are without a doubt the most colorful writer in this forum. Thanks again for your interesting stories.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 22:09:40 (permalink)
    I won't eat escargot. Who wants to eat something that slithers around my garden? I will try some things once, like haggis. Now I don't eat haggis.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 22:14:42 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I was just reminded of something. Although I can choke it down if necessary, I HATE cilantro. If I remember right from an earlier post, I believe that's a food additive that you're not real fond of, either.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 22:46:26 (permalink)
    Canned peas. Boneless, skinless, moistureless, flavorless chicken breast. Anything served at McDonald's after 10:30 AM. Anything served at (let's just say "a well-known chain Italian place that likes you to think it's always packed to the gills with Italian-American extended families") any time of the day. Gas station coffee, as distinct from convenience store coffee. Off-brand non-Oreo Oreos (what's the point?). Soggy, sticky-sweet General Tso's Chicken that's been mouldering in the buffet line for an hour and a half. Generic diet cola.

Life's too short to eat any of that garbage.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 23:50:29 (permalink)
    Bushie,
    Right you are...Cilantro is a plate decoration , not fit for anything that doesn't chew it's cud!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/10 23:55:49 (permalink)
    Here's what I hate due to taste : Black licorice, liver, cream soda, prune juice, creamed corn, vegggies covered in cheap yellow cheese, banana popsicles.

Here's what I won't eat (because they are too cute): deer, duck, dolphins, horsemeat.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 00:08:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Here's what I hate due to taste : ...banana popsicles.

I love the taste of banana in just about anything sweet. But you are right - that artificial banana taste in banana popsicles is horrible. I also do not like the taste of Circus Peanuts which to me taste very similar to that artificial banana taste. The only decent artificial banana taste I've ever had in my life was in Bonomo Turkish Taffy. They also made vanilla and chocolate and strawberry. I am remembering back at least 30 years, because that product hasn't been around for at least that long. If you want to try something similar to a banana popsicle that tastes very good, try a banana Frozefruit which derives at least part of its banana flavor from real bananas.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 00:48:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Elise, although many, many of your posts make me laugh, this may be the best so far. My wife and I are both sitting here laughing...

Thank you, thank you, shows at 2 and 6 daily. Don't forget to tip your server.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 00:59:30 (permalink)
    Ort: You were way ahead of your time. You just described a nouvelle Thai dish that's very popular here.

As for me, I don't search out game, but will eat it if served. Moose and alligator are delicious.

I become violent at the sight of broccoli (I'm a super taster ), and don't like the texture of organ meats, fois gras or savory mousse. Sometimes New York Times and Craig Clairborne recipes are just too much for me.

I want to like sushi and raw oysters becaue they are so healthy, sexy and glamorous. I have tried again and again, and I just can't eat them.

I used to love fake banana and grape flavors. Banana moon pies rock.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 02:02:11 (permalink)
    Buttermilk!!!!!!!!!Yogurt!!!!!!!!!!Cottage Cheese!!!!!!!!Pet's, Eating Pets is just wrong!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 02:27:13 (permalink)
    Natto. KP mentioned this in kicking off this thread. It's a delicacy in Japan that I simply cannot eat. For the uninitiated: it is a fermented bean (soy?) that's soaked in a gluey substance. It looks like pencil erasers in model airplane glue.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 04:01:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Thank you, thank you, shows at 2 and 6 daily. Don't forget to tip your server.

Do I have to return her to the full upright and locked position when we're through?

On that note, I'm with the people who dislike faux banana - I won't kiss my beloved if there's a trace of Banana Popsicle Breath. Ptuui.

On the idea of cilantro - cilantro is one of a very few flavors that researchers consider "polarizing" - you either like them or you hate them, there is no middle ground. Lima beans, mustard and coconut are right there in the list, too.

Eric
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 05:59:35 (permalink)
    I live by a few mottos: Offal is awful. No pets allowed. I'm not game for game.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 07:25:47 (permalink)
    Kango,

I HATE those fake circus peanuts too---though I didn't make the connection on the faux banana.

You can add candy cigarettes to the list too, though I think they are gone forever! As a 70's kid whose both parents (and it seemed like everyone else who came over) smoked, I found them offensive even then---especially after my sister (then three) exclaimed at the candy store "let's get the kind that mommy smokes"! , Yes they were foul, and they also tasted lousy! And I never went for those candy bubblegum cigars either.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 07:55:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Bushie,
    Right you are...Cilantro is a plate decoration , not fit for anything that doesn't chew it's cud!

What ever you do, don't eat any mexican food! You won't like it with cilantro, and without cilantro, its not Mexican food.

My won't eats:
    Liver, oysters, McDonald's.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 08:11:33 (permalink)
    The only thing I turn down are the sheets !!!

I'll try anything once (well maybe not monkey nor dog)

Actually I don't care for Beef Liver .... but, and as someone said in an earlier post, I eat liver in various disguises ! I love liver pate, liverwurst, liver pudding, livermush, even chicken livers !

That is about it for me .. there are things I may not be interested in eating on a regular basis (eg zucchini) but I will eat them !

repartee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: What Won't You Eat? 2003/07/11 08:22:42 (permalink)
    Hi all,

New one here. Live in Japan. Won't eat celery and something called shio kara - squid in it's own, shall we say, intestinal fluid. The Japanese love it, put it on rice and eat it with sake!
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1