What Would Be Your Dream Platform?

Author
Parrot Cage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
2011/09/19 11:32:23 (permalink)

What Would Be Your Dream Platform?

I am just starting the planning stage of my truck/trailer. I tend to lean more toward a truck (I am even considering a school bus), but am open minded. If you could afford ANY platform you wanted to build a mobile kitchen, what would it be and why?

7 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/19 13:02:00 (permalink)

73-78 GMC motorhome. Low to ground, has basic infrastructure already in place...plumbing, water heater, generator, A/C...and despite being 35 years old, still looks modern.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/20 00:48:32 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

73-78 GMC motorhome. Low to ground, has basic infrastructure already in place...plumbing, water heater, generator, A/C...and despite being 35 years old, still looks modern.

Your right about not showing it's age and has already got several built in systems BUT at that age those systems are in need of being replaced or rebuilt. And low to ground....on the outside but what level is the interior floor compared to the outside? Just a thought or two and a question. Otherwise I'd consider it.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/20 09:17:38 (permalink)
    Good point about the systems needing updating after so many years. The generator it came with was an Onan 6500, which was a very well built and dependable unit, but other systems would likely need to be gone over.

As for height, the nice thing about these is that they were front drive, with the running gear from a Toronado. The overall height...minus A/C unit was just 8 feet. The big side window you see, which is same on both sides would be at an ideal height for a service window, as would the large, full width rear window. They also have an air suspension which can be raised or lowered to drop the rear portion another 6-8 inches. 
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/20 21:02:10 (permalink)
    Tony "They also have an air suspension which can be raised or lowered to drop the rear portion another 6-8 inches. "

Oh I like that feature. They do look good and if you had someone that really knew their stuff do the right wrap it would be awesome.

Speaking of wraps the creativity of the designer is what makes the difference in my mind. Oh I know their are different quality's in the material but Tony has here the perfect example. The difference between this motor home body and a step van with it's box looking appearance would require an entirely different approach. Tony is this your rig? I like it. Looks like a great project to me. 
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/20 22:16:49 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ
    Tony is this your rig? I like it. Looks like a great project to me.  

The picture is not mine, but I do have one like it sitting in a storage shed that looks...lets say...less good.

It is structurally intact, but esthetically challenged! 
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/21 09:06:41 (permalink)
    It is structurally intact, but esthetically challenged! 

What a great line. LOL Sounds like my ex wife.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:What Would Be Your Dream Platform? 2011/09/21 10:27:52 (permalink)
    I might of married your ex. lol
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1