What about sellin' your own rub?

Author
FATZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2004/07/27 17:58:31 (permalink)

What about sellin' your own rub?

I'm thinking about what we've all thought about once or twice I'm sure. I want to come up with the best rub in the world, yada-yada-yada...

With plenty of time for cooking and experimenting later, I figured a good place to start would be to get a name. I have decided on ...

FatzO's World Famous Meat Rubs of Louisiana.

As this will be the name of the rub "company", I am asking your opinions on the basic logos below and let me know which one "grabs" you the most.

The little motto at the top says, "A perfect blend of herbs, spices and Love for any situation."

LOGO #1:

LOGO #2:

LOGO #3:

LOGO #4:

I am open to any and all opinions. I would like some good reasons why to or not to do something, ya know? I will follow my own "ignorance" in order to learn most of the time, but pointers are always welcome.

8 Replies Related Threads

Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/27 18:25:59 (permalink)

Somebody get the hook1
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18950
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/27 18:32:26 (permalink)
    I'd guess that people would be very receptive to a food product reminding them that they're overweight.
    FATZ
    Junior Burger
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/27 18:49:25 (permalink)
    It should only remind them that the creator is fat. Or Fatz.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/27 20:42:02 (permalink)
    The only rub I could sell would be for arthritis.
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/28 18:14:26 (permalink)
    FATZ....

Don't quit your day job!

VERY tough biz. Thousands of them already on the market. You will need to pay for shelf space at any of the large stores. If web based, how much will marketing cost to get folks to your site?

Why would folks want to buy yours instead of any of the thousands out there? Have you won any awards to brag about? Many folks recognize that World Famous is just BS. ie...If it is so famous, how come nobody has heard about it?

Also, put paper and pencil to the "upside"....cost of the blend, bottles, labels, etc. If it costs you $2 per bottle, that leaves about $2 in profits. You would need to sell how many bottles to "make a living"? You would need to sell 33 bottles every single day just to make $24,000. These expenses don't include any marketing/advertising costs.

One other drawback is that many of the firms you will deal with have pretty high minimums. A spice mixture is a fairly stable product but they will also go stale over time. If you need to order too much of the stuff, how quickly can you sell it?

If you want to run this from your home, you will become a shipping agent. How much time will that consume?

Never want to discourage a new biz, but please do your homework before committing! If you need help with this "homework", free advice is given by the fine folks at SCORE.

http://www.score.org/

No BS with these seasoned pros...they will tell it like it is. That is what you need...UNBIASED opinions.

Best of luck!
    FATZ
    Junior Burger
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/28 22:05:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great advice. While I never intended this to make me a living, this is just this kind of information I needed to help make a decision. I'm only looking for something fun. More for the family and friends than the world. I'm even thinking about naming it my last name instead of my nickname. How 'bout "Lee's"? It works for jeans...haha.

And in my small part of the world, "World Famous" still looks neat.

Sounds like a challenge...lol. I'm always up for a good challenge.

ROCK ON!!! And again, thanks for the awesome advice, Stogie.
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/29 09:29:20 (permalink)
    FATZ.....

If it is just for family and friends that is a whole 'nother matter! I do exactly what you are doing!! I have a bunch of homemade labels and I stick them on bottles I get from my local spice company. I do this with sauces as well.

So, have at it and have some fun!

Stogie
    FATZ
    Junior Burger
    RE: What about sellin' your own rub? 2004/07/29 09:40:07 (permalink)
    I got bored and decided to customize my BBQ sauce bottle...lol. Although not for sale, it almost looks like it, huh?

Oh and I think I've decided to go with the "Home-Grown" instead of "World Famous". The little motto at the tops reads, "Warnin': This stuff's so good, it'll put hair on yer chest." I'm gonna make it spicy seein' that I be's from Loosianie an' all.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1