What are you listening to?

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
2013/01/19 03:49:10 (permalink)

What are you listening to?

We got to talking about how the music industry has changed with the advent of the Internet and MP3 players today at work. Like most of us here the music that I was exposed to as a kid (1970's) was limited by what the various record executives and radio DJ's liked or thought that the kids would like. There were fewer radio stations and the FM band was just starting to fill with stations. We were limited to Top40 or pop, rock, country, gospel, big band, and classical stations. Later on, AOR, alt-rock, country-rock, classic rock, and oldies formats replaced the big band and classical stations in most of the country. These days classical and big band music is generally only available on your public radio station.

During this discussion, we learned a lot about each others musical taste. We asked each other questions and got some very surprising answers. I thought that I would post a few for you to answer. To provide context, please briefing describe your background and then answer these questions.

1. What music genre would an acquaintance be surprised to find well represented on your MP3?

2. What song would you be most embarrassed to admit is on your MP3?

3. What is the best music that you have been exposed to for the first time by listening to someone else's MP3 or from the Internet?

My answers:
I am a white man in my late 40's, raised in a middle-class suburb in the Midwest. Mom listened to Folk and Top40, Dad listened to Country and Bluegrass.

1. My coworkers were very surprised that I had several polkas on my MP3
2. Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. It is bubble gum pop but for some reason I like it.
3. Opera - I never bothered to even try to listen to it until a few years ago. A friend sent me a link to a YouTube video of Paul Potts singing on Britain's Got Talent. I have listened to several Operas since.

What are your answers? Ask any questions that you can think of?

CNW

28 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3515
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/01/19 12:06:16 (permalink)
    Timing is great on this one! Just last night I found a thumb drive with the backup of all my music that was on my laptop that died. I've been gorging myself on forgotten favourites ever since. I'm a white woman in my early 40's, raised in what was a small town and then became a suburb in the Midwest. My parents are considerably older, so dad was into Sousa marches and old-school country while mom didn't really have musical taste that we could discern because she listened to what dad wanted her to.

1. What music genre would an acquaintance be surprised to find well represented on your MP3?
    Probably Swing and Big Band, but only an acquaintance would be surprised. Anyone who knows me knows my musical taste ranges all over the map.

Honestly? I can't think of anything I'd be embarrassed about. Everything I have is there for a reason.

3. What is the best music that you have been exposed to for the first time by listening to someone else's MP3 or from the Internet?
    Probably supposed to be a genre, but I can't do that. But Paul Thorn leaps to mind. Never knew who he was, a friend plugged his iPod into my car stereo one day, one of his songs came on, and I've been in love ever since. Doesn't hurt that I've since met him several times (and even sang with him on stage this past summer), and he's a genuinely great guy.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/01/19 16:31:11 (permalink)
    1. I'm crazy so I have so much that makes no sense.

2. As far as my parents are concerned...I would not let Undead by Hollywood Undead play when they were listening. I run to that angry song...while running.

Mitternacht sounds like a dramatic rant about Mc Donald's...in German. Gotta love that!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18491
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/01/19 16:49:03 (permalink)
    Hell, I don't even know what an MP3 is. I thought at first it might be some rank in a Military Police batallion, but I never knew an MP who  listened to music.
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1020
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/01/21 14:32:27 (permalink)
    Being a musician most of my life and playing lots of different kinds of music along the way, I don't think anyone that knows me even a little would be surprised at what I have on my iPod. It did shock some people when I got into playing country music (nothing but metal for years), but they got used to it fairly quickly. And some people might find it odd for a straight, white, 41 year old male to have an ABBA box set.

I'm not embarrassed about anything I listen to.

A lot of metal bands that aren't on the nationwide radar, just starting out but have videos on Youtube. I find a lot of new music just bombing around on there. Also rediscovering old music that I haven't heard in years and can be impossible to find on cd. I like being able to find a cha-cha by Enoch Light and the Light Brigade, then 15 seconds after that song ends, I can find Detente (weird 80's metal band) or Slayer, then Sergio Mendes, Conway Twitty, Jerry Reed, The Cult, etc.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4629
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/01/21 14:50:33 (permalink)
    People used to go to record stores instead of listening to the radio. Those were the days.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1994
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 10:22:21 (permalink)
    I don't have an MP3. I listen to the radio in my truck. As a middle age white guy (LOL if 60 is the new 30), I have a button for most styles. In the Boston area we have a good country station, classic rock, 60-80 rock, elevator music, (no button for that), and what would have been top 40 in my day. Because the top 40 has less ads I listen to it a lot. I actually like Nikki Minaj, and Flo Rida.

Nobody cares what I like. They would have to care to be surprised.

2 of my daughters are in on the local music scene. When I hear a "new" song, their reaction is, "Yeah, you would like that..........I downloaded it 6 months ago".

I have heard mention of Evil Edmonds, the fictional front man for a band in the movie, "I'll Be There". I saw the 10 yr old movie on DVD over the weekend. Evil is the fictional grandfather of a 16 yr old Charlotte Church. Charlotte is the star, but Evil and his ancient tour bus steals the show. 
    post edited by tmiles - 2013/02/20 10:31:16
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2310
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 10:52:36 (permalink)
    I'm listening to The Phantom Regiment, warming up for a performance in Murfreesboro, Tn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jePZynwATGU
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 16:34:34 (permalink)
    quess i need an mp3 first. all i ever listen to is rock an roll on the radio. 50-60-70-80's. i really don't like anything new.
     CNW, where did you go to school? SME here. grew up in prairie village and OP.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 16:54:33 (permalink)
    I have XM on all three of my vehicles and I keep it tuned to Watercolor which is contemporary jazz.  While traveling I alternate between CNN and Watercolor.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6898
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 17:01:45 (permalink)
    No music in the house or in the car.  Bummer for a music major.
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/20 21:16:03 (permalink)
    I've been exploring the Free Music Archives and Jamendo. There is a whole world of MP3s out there that are legal to download and play. I've been enjoying The Dead Rocks One Million Dollar Surf Band album  and The Juanitos (especially Super-exotic 60's Beat!). Also like Turku Nomads of the Silk Road. The song Merzifon was licensed as download only. We wrote to the band and received permission to use it in a video for my son's physics class. It was very fun to write to a band and receive a reply back.

My MP3 player is loaded up with some eclectic free sounds. 
    Also some pretty specific genres - Rockabilly, Early Rock, British Invasion, Blues, Eurodance (gotta have ABBA!), Americana, ... Oh yeah, middle aged guy. Maybe a bit on the north side of middle aged. 
    post edited by callmebruce - 2013/02/20 21:23:37
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/21 12:54:25 (permalink)
    I don't have an MP3 - The only time I listen to music is in the car.  There's a couple of cajun radio stations I pick up on the radio Sunday mornings, most of the time it's CD's which I'm eclectic - tastes range from jazz greats like Louis Armstrong and Kid Ory to my newest - Aaron Nevlle's My True Story - his homage to doo-wop.

carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/22 16:04:21 (permalink)
    Look up Blind Tom, and heck, while you're at it, look up Blind Boone as well.  Their stories and their music are amazing.
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/25 07:38:10 (permalink)
    Cathy Lemon & Johnny Ace Blues Band.  Smokin hot new album.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/25 20:35:07 (permalink)
    lleechef

No music in the house or in the car.  Bummer for a music major.

Lisa

Bring the Curmudgeon into at least the 90's and get some music playing in that house.  I am sure somewhere out there are recordings of Dinosaurs or Pterodactyls for him.  If not maybe Tom Edison's recording of "Mary had a little Lamb" on was cylinder.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/25 20:47:01 (permalink)
    Ok - No MP3 player here, but I do have vinyl, 8 track, cassette, cd and have some downloaded to my puter

Early Country - My music choices range the spectrum, but usually are more rock oriented.  I love the old Country though, the early Patsy Cline, Hank Sr. etc...

Convoy by CW McCall
    or
    Barbie Girl by AQUA 

Enter The Haggis- An interesting mix of musical styles, and an awesome new album due out in March!
    https://soundcloud.com/enterthehaggis
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/25 20:58:33 (permalink)
    I'm a Barbie girl...in the Barbie world....wrapped in plastic...it's fantastic!!

Me too.
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/02/26 07:44:36 (permalink)
    New music I've been exposed to for the first time, that I've really loved, and the band has been together for 20 years....Lambchop
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/02 09:21:23 (permalink)
    Shout out to Muldoon's Picnic, an excellent a cappella group out of Glasgow, Scotland
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/02 22:37:33 (permalink)
    1. Classical cello music by Cassado
    2. The Rodeo Song
    3. Anything from "Pink Martini"  great stuff!
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/03 06:37:29 (permalink)
    I'm going to Bluegrass Underground this weekend in a cave outside McMinnville, TN.  The show airs on Saturday nights on PBS before Austin City limits.  They fim the entire season in a weekend.  I'm going on Saturday.  Concerts by Ben Sollee, Allisson Moorer, Beausoleil, and Leon Russell.
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/12 08:13:10 (permalink)
    I've been on a music spree lately.  I went to see the filming of Bluegrass Underground on Saturday.  Filmed in a cave near McMinnville, TN 330 feet underground.  I saw Leon Russell, Beausoleil, Alison Browne Quartet and Ben Sollee in an excellent concert setting and the acoustics of the cave were incredible.
    Last night I saw Citizen Cope at the Bijou in downtown Knoxville.  He's on an acoustic tour, just he and a guitar, and he was really awesome.  I prefer music that way and he did really well.
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1405
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/14 13:03:57 (permalink)
    Sounds like a fun event, Carlton.  I love me some Leon Russell--saw him in concert eons ago.  His performance of Jumping Jack Flash/Youngblood at the Concert for Bangladesh (I only saw the movie) was epic.
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/03/14 13:12:03
    carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/15 07:42:07 (permalink)
    That performance at Concert for Bangladesh is one of my all-time favorite rock n roll performances.  One of the greats.  Leon reprised his country persona, Hank Wilson, for this performance.
    Saxdragon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/18 08:25:23 (permalink)
    LOL   My library includes Gregorian chant, organ fugues, irish/Scottish folk songs, old country (mostly marty robbins cowboy ballads), bagpipes, kids songs (sneak snake by Tom T Hall), messugah beach party, al dean and the all stars, the dope stars, swaggerin growlers (riot folk), parody songs, crazy frog, arrogant worms, Brecker Brothers, Spyro Gyra, Irish Brothers, rednex, brobdington bards (no clue if I spelled that right), Cake, and shakira.  There is more, but that's what I can remember right now.
    1.  Surprised friends:  I don't have anything my age group grew up listening to on the radio.
    2. Embarrassed:  nothing really
    3. new music:  Shakira

carlton pierre
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/03/20 13:59:18 (permalink)
    Hey Dragon,  I think you're the first person on Roadfood to ever mention the arrogant worms ( Jesus' Borther Bob) and Cake.  Congratulations!
    JanetPelle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/04/23 11:19:56 (permalink)
    You guys should check out Jango- it is a site where you can type in your favourite artist and it will play music that is similar to that artist.

I'm not the most music-savvy person and this site has really helped me extend my repertoire!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2310
    Re:What are you listening to? 2013/05/23 16:28:39 (permalink)
    I'm listening to Santa Clara Vanguard, from last summer's tour.
    We're starting this year's tour on June 21, and we're coming to a city near you.
    Watch for us, or ask me for details.
    Our program this year is from "Les Miserables."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSnB1mBZD0
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1