Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 25
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/11/20 13:46:14
Just finishe THE LONGEST TRIP HOME by John Grogan...his follow up to the great best seller MARLEY AND ME(soon to be a momajor motion picture opening Dec.25th)It's his autobiography and his finding him self growing with two loving,but very religious parents...great read...laughs and a lot of tears...perhaps not as super as MARLEY AND ME...but close....And id ,for somw reason, you haven't read "Marley"...read it before seeing Jennifer Anniston in the movie!!!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/11/20 22:06:23
I've got three mysteries going at once. Two collections of short stories and one novel.

"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (1892) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle--for about the sixth time in 30 years.

"Poirot Investigates" (1924) by Agatha Christie.

And a dime novel by Francis Doughty "The Last Stroke; or Old King Brady and the Broken Bell," which was published in the New York Detective Library on November 27, 1886. I'm reading a xerox copy.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/11/21 07:22:29
Currently reading the latest John Grisham book... The Appeal. Three more books lined up.
RE: What are you reading? 2008/11/21 11:49:58
Extreme Measures, Vince Flynn
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/11/21 12:34:46
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

What's that one about?
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/08 14:18:51
Last week, I read Tim: Defender of the Earth by Sam Enthoven. It's about a genetically engineered T-Rex chosen to defend England from tiny, tiny robots. It's a goofy premise, but I enjoyed it.

Yesterday morning, I read "Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life" by Linda Davis. It's a great biography of the New Yorker cartoonist and creator of the Addams Family.

Right now I'm reading an anthology of detective stories set in worlds where magic is real. It's called "The Dragon Done It." So far it's pretty good, but anthologies can be pretty hit or miss.

jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/09 20:38:50
Waiter Rant!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/10 00:42:16
Barack Obama's:The Audacity of Hope
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/10 13:13:47
War Journal; My Five Years In Iraq by Richard Engel the NBC correspondant. Fascinating book. He's lived in the Middle East for the past 12 years and is fluent in Arabic.
Such a gripping story I can hardly put it down.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/13 12:57:24
I'm reading Larry McMurtry's new memoir, which is kind of odd, since I've never read any of his books. But who can resist a memoir called "Books". Not me.

Finished Peter S. Beagle's "A Fine and Private Place" the other day. What a marvelous book.
BioTeacher
Junior Burger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/13 23:07:00
I just finished Fish Out of Water by Mary Janice Davidson and Double Cross by James Patterson. I am reading Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich and Owls Well That Ends Well. At School I am rereading A Sand County Almanac with my AP Environmental Science. I am an avid reader with very strange and varied taste in books. I read everything from mysteries and science fiction to true crime and sciene books
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/14 08:19:09
I recently enjoyed Larry McMurtry's "Books: A Memoir". That, in turn, led me to read his first published novel, "Horseman, Pass By", upon which the movie "Hud" was based. It reminded me that he really could write when he wasn't crafting screenplays. Also, as a result of reading "Books: A Memoir", I took a stab at Niall Ferguson's "The House of Rothschild" which was fascinating. I have to admit that I skimmed some of the sections that delved deeply into interest rates.

I just finished "I Really Should Have Stayed Home" edited by Roger Rapoport and Bob Drews. These are real-life accounts of travel gone to hell. It's mildly amusing.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/14 08:35:35
Reading "Cousin" Bruce Morrow's big book about the music of the 50's. Bringing back lots of memories!
porkbeaks
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/14 09:44:57
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Reading "Cousin" Bruce Morrow's big book about the music of the 50's. Bringing back lots of memories!

Ah yes..."W-A-Beatle-C". Remember it well. Check out[url='http://musicradio77.com/beatles.html']this[/url] page. Be sure to listen to the MP3's as you go down. pb
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/15 10:34:13
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Ah yes..."W-A-Beatle-C". Remember it well. Check out[url='http://musicradio77.com/beatles.html']this[/url] page. Be sure to listen to the MP3's as you go down. pb

In Buffalo, it was "W - K - Beatle - W".
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/15 10:42:13
I finished Naomi Novik's "Empire of Ivory" over the weekend. I really enjoy her Temeraire books

Just started Steven Erikson's "House of Chains", the 4th volume in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I read the first three, and have 2 more on the shelf to go after this one. He's a very creative author, sometimes jaw-droppingly so, like no other fantasy series I have read.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/15 14:05:00
Today I started Barack Obama's earlier book: Dreams From My Father...looks interesting!
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/15 14:44:09
I typically don't read books other than cookbooks(I do enough reading at work on the internet, and I dont have the time when I am home, plus Id rather unwind and watch some sports on t.v.)

With the above said I have just started reading a "How-To" book on finishing our 700 square foot unfinished basement. I figure I can put in the walls, the drywall, and the flooring, and leave the electrical, and plumbing in the bathroom to a professional. I just needed some guidance, and basic info so the book was a good purchase.
WarToad
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/15 15:42:47
I just started "Mine's bigger". Story of Tom Perkin's bid to build the biggest modern high tech square rigged clipper ship, $130 million dollars of self indulgence of the uber rich.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/16 01:37:33
Dearfolk,
It's been awhile since I've added to this post, so I will pipe up now.
I've been re-reading the entire Hardman series by Ralph Dennis. Jim Hardman is a private eye in Atlanta; the locales and sights and seens are quite familiar to me.
I mentioned someplace on here that I didn't have a copy of # 9, and Mosca was kind enough to supply me with one. It came in the mail to Flagpole Magazine, and I managed to read it in sequence (MANY thanks, Mosca!).
Here, then, are the twelve titles.
Hardman # 1 -- Atlanta Deathwatch (1974).
Hardman # 2 -- The Charleston Knife's Back In Town ('74).
Hardman # 3 -- The Golden Girl And All ('74).
Hardman # 4 -- Pimp For The Dead ('74).
Hardman # 5 -- Down Among The Jocks ('74).
Hardman # 6 -- Murder's Not An Odd Job ('74).
Hardman # 7 -- Working For The Man ('74).
Hardman # 8 -- The Deadly Cotton Heart (1976).
Hardman # 9 -- The One-Dollar Rip-Off (1977).
Hardman # 10 -- Hump's First Case ('77).
Hardman # 11 -- The Last Of The Armageddon Wars ('77).
Hardman # 12 -- The Buy Back Blues ('77).
An extraordinary series. The late, great Ralph Dennis could really write.
I'll probably reread them again next year... and find something new in each one as I go.
Hastily, Ort. Carlton in Muggycloudy Athens, Georgia.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/16 05:38:25
Thanks for the tip,Ort! Always looking for a good series...Have you tried the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson?? Great reading!
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/16 10:55:05
quote:
Originally posted by cavandre

quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

What's that one about?

Believe it or not, Mitch Rapp killing some very bad terrorists!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/16 13:43:05
Vince Flynn is going to have to retire Mitch Rapp now that a new administration coming in is claiming they will not do such practices anymore.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 12:21:33
Have any of y'all ever read Carl Hiaasen's stuff?  They are a little too off-kilter to be straight detective fiction and he doesn't have one stock character but rather a small cast who pop up randomly in his books.  My favorite is 'Native Tongue'--I don't really like most detective fiction but his stuff is so funny I kind of make an exception for him.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 12:29:28
I've read all the Hiassen novels. I especially like the ex-governor who survives in the wilderness off roadkill. Every novel has a bad character that gets maimed. I just finished Nature Girl about a month ago.
porkbeaks
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 12:33:06
Carl Hiaasen has been one of my favorites for years. There isn't anyone else quite like him. Here's a list of his stuff.  pb

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/carl-hiaasen/
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 12:40:46
Just finished Rough Weather by Robert B. Parker.  More fun and adventure with Spencer, Susan and Hawk.

Currently I am working on 1635, the Dreeson Incident by Flint and Demarce.  Latest in a series about a West Virginia mining town transported to Europe in 1632.

Ahead may be Red Shoes for Nancy, a true-life tear-jerker by my mother's cousin Marguerite Hamilton.
Grillnut
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 15:48:13
I'm currently reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  After decades of watching several different film/television adaptations, I've finally gotten around to reading the source material.

From what I've read so far (the Ghost of Christmas Present is just about to show up), the 1950s Alistair Sim version and the 1990s Patrick Stewart version are the most true to the original story.
post edited by Grillnut - 2008/12/19 15:49:35
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/19 16:22:27
I'm about to start Samuel Delaney's About Writing. Also The Suspicions of Mr. Swicher a non-fiction account of the murder of a toddler in 1840s England.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/20 00:04:22
Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series. I'm currently on book 4 of 6, Blowback.
cavandre
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/20 06:55:55
Grillnut

I'm currently reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  After decades of watching several different film/television adaptations, I've finally gotten around to reading the source material.

From what I've read so far (the Ghost of Christmas Present is just about to show up), the 1950s Alistair Sim version and the 1990s Patrick Stewart version are the most true to the original story.

George Scott's version also uses a lot of the original Dickens.

post edited by cavandre - 2008/12/20 07:14:24
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2008/12/20 07:02:43
Yes, my son read that in school last year and had a bit of a hard time with it...so I went through it with him...they usually take lots of liberties with the original....great story to read for the season!!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2009/01/01 21:32:33
I just finished two very hard-to-find mystery novels, both by R. Austin Freeman, featuring his medico-jurist protagonist, Dr. John Thorndyke, who appeared in countless novels and short stories between 1907 and 1941.

The two books that I read were 1) The Cat's Eye (1923) and 2) The Mystery of Angelina Frood (1924).  I am always impressed by Freeman's exactitude in compositional exposition and story structure development.  Even though he plays fair with the reader, there are very few who can second guess Thorndyke.  The plots are quite original.  Highly recommended.

post edited by Louis - 2009/01/01 21:40:37
RE: What are you reading? 2009/01/02 11:47:28
"Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell, can't decide if I like it or not,75 pages in, not a good sign!
RE: What are you reading? 2009/01/02 11:53:54
MikeS.

Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series. I'm currently on book 4 of 6, Blowback.

I love his books, Vince Flynn type reading.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2009/01/02 18:54:28
On the strength of Pat T Hat's recommendation, I just read Christopher Buckley's "Supreme Courtship".  It is, indeed, a hoot.

I'm also reading Deerhunting with Jesus" by Joe Bageant, which Nancypalooza recommended.  I am enjoying it as well.  It reminds me a bit 0f "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

Let me say that I appreciate this thread and often consult it before going to the library.
Roy
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2009/01/04 17:18:09
This past year I have read three of Bill Bryson's books the most recent of which, 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' is really funny especially for those of us who spent their childhood in the 1950's.  His next best is 'Walk in the Woods',detailing his attempt at the Appalachian Trail...also very funny.  The third one is 'I'm a Stranger Here Myself' which is a travel book of his return to Great Britain after having lived there 20 years previously and his descriptions of the British and their reactions to him are a riot. 
I'd have never picked up one of these books except two of them were recommended to me along with borrowed copies of them.  Normally I stick to crime/mystery type stuff.  Curently in the middle of John Sandford's 'Heat Lightning".
Milt
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/04 17:31:47
Currently, I am reading one of my Christmas presents "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang.  I put it on my Christmas want list after reading "Flyboys".
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/04 17:56:15
Yesterday I finished a collection of the original Tales From The Crypt comics, the first six issues. Great stuff.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 12:44:26

Jan picked up a copy of the latest (to us) Clive Cussler novel, "The Chase". It occupied a day of relaxed reading for me. While I don't label it Cussler's Best Work, It did involve trains and a typical Cussler hero, so it filled my requirement for entertaining reading.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 15:51:04
sandy let me know what you thought of 'Deerhunting for Jesus' when you're done.  I thought it was very interesting.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 16:02:36
I just now finished reading AOL by George! the Inside History of AOL by George Thornally. George was the original Macintosh Communications Forum Leader at AOL and a good friend of mine at the time on AOL. We had gotten together annually at MacWorld Expo and a few times at AOL headquarters in Vienna, VA. Other than that it was a pioneering online community where we had nearly nightly real-time forum leader chats online in the "Hole in the Wire" chat room. I had just learned of the book published in 1999 and that George had died in an airplane crash in September 2007. His recollections differ a little bit from mine and centered solely on his own forum and not AOL in general but was entertaining as only George could be in his own unique way. As I mentioned I did not know about this until I reconnected with my old forum producer on Facebook.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 16:34:28
Just started reading the giant cocktail table- sized book: Hopalong Cassidy,An American Legend...by his wife. Having grown up in the early 50's watching his movies, and the TV show, I've collected copies of all his movies and find this large photo-book fascinating. Recommend this new release to any Hoppy fans out there!!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 16:57:54
I had the Hopalong Cassidy black double holster and cap gun set when I was a kid.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 17:43:30
Well, I just bought a number of new books ( a Christmas present to myself ), and it's going to take me quite a while to get thru them all. I'm currently working on the new edition of Roadfood ( surprise, surprise ), and after that I'll get started on Southern Belly by John T. Edge ( 200+ southern restaurants! ), and then it's Hamburger America by George Motz. After that, there's five books about one of my favorite subjects, electric railroads ( trolleys, interurbans, light rail and urban rapid transit. ) Last but not least, a new book about The Andy Griffith Show. Oh, I almost forgot; I just got thru reading Two For The Road by Jane and Michael Stern - great, great book! Lots to keep me busy on these cold winter nights.....  
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 18:22:47
Nancy -  I think he has it about right, although I think he could have distributed the blame a bit more evenly between the parties.  Since it was published in 2007, I think he did a fine job of foreseeing the extent of the economic implosion (of which Cheney recent claimed "Nobody saw it coming.").  There were a few parts of it that were funny but mostly I found it sad and infuriating.  I think it should be recommended to all of us in the working class, along with "Nickle and Dimed" and " Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich - and Cheat Everybody Else".

And, your thoughts?
porkbeaks
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 18:51:00
Sandy Thruthegarden

Nancy -  I think he has it about right, although I think he could have distributed the blame a bit more evenly between the parties.  Since it was published in 2007, I think he did a fine job of foreseeing the extent of the economic implosion (of which Cheney recent claimed "Nobody saw it coming.").  There were a few parts of it that were funny but mostly I found it sad and infuriating.  I think it should be recommended to all of us in the working class, along with "Nickle and Dimed" and " Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich - and Cheat Everybody Else".

And, your thoughts?

Thank God for the Federal Reserve!    pb

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 20:23:42
I probably can't talk a lot about my thoughts.  I just don't think the presumed subject of the last book you mentioned is anything at all new, is all.  We were talking tonight about the similarities between mill villages and medieval fiefdoms.  I do have to say that I have a different approach to the second amendment after reading his book--I think he changed my mind a little.  Glad you liked it!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/13 20:36:34
I am reading:

The Frontiersmen by allan Eckert WOW is he detailed I can only read so much before I need a break to let it all sink in

For fun reading I just read:

Red badge of Courage
Puddin Head Wilson
All quiet on the western front
My brother Sam is Dead
susanll
Re:What are you reading? 2009/01/14 09:43:39
The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Highly recommend
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/02/16 16:37:15
I just finished George Pelecanos' "Hell to Pay." I've never read any Pelecanos before and I really liked this. I'll definitely be seeking out more of his books.

I just watched the great movie "Point Blank" and I'm definitely in a crime novel mood.
susanll
Re:What are you reading? 2009/02/16 17:15:41
Any Given Day - Lehman...not sure yet
joclyn
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/02/16 18:03:56
interesting thread with much food for thought and good suggestions!

i just finished fahrenheit 451 by ray bradbury.  great commentary on the condition of our society.  

it's not about what you may think it is - see the
wikipedia entry for more info.  i got the point of it and he couldn't have been more correct - which is amazing since things were in their infancy at the time he wrote this (late 40's)!  he was a very insightful man.
post edited by joclyn - 2009/02/16 18:05:56
Bill Reynolds
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2009/02/16 18:58:56
I just started The Testament by John Grisham and just finished Prey by Michael Crichton.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2009/02/16 21:59:07
I just found Roads to Quoz, An American Mosey, by William Least-Heat Moon.  If you have never heard of him, you ought to look him up!  This book is about wandering around the backroads of America and the interesting/crazy/weird stuff (and people) that are out there.  I'm only 30 pages in and there's already roadfood stuff. (The local small restaurant that is across from the arches but manages to stay in business on quality, not quantity) Looks like it will be a great book.

Back in the late 70's, I believe, he wrote Blue Highways, a travel story of crossing America on Route 50 from MD to CA.  It was great.  A John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley with a roadie attitude!

The guy only writes about about one book a decade, all non fiction, but I have loved them all.
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2009/02/16 22:03:36
FriedClamFanatic
RE: What are you reading? 2009/02/16 22:09:56
Roy

This past year I have read three of Bill Bryson's books the most recent of which, 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' is really funny especially for those of us who spent their childhood in the 1950's.  His next best is 'Walk in the Woods',detailing his attempt at the Appalachian Trail...also very funny.  The third one is 'I'm a Stranger Here Myself' which is a travel book of his return to Great Britain after having lived there 20 years previously and his descriptions of the British and their reactions to him are a riot. 
I'd have never picked up one of these books except two of them were recommended to me along with borrowed copies of them.  Normally I stick to crime/mystery type stuff.  Curently in the middle of John Sandford's 'Heat Lightning".

Bill Bryson is a very funny - and erudite - guy.  I also lived in the UK and he was right-on about it (And if you liked it, read Paul Theroux's Kingdom by the Sea).  Bryson has some other great books.  Read the one about Australia.  I just bought his book on Shakespeare.

Oh, and John Sanford is great!  I think I've read all of his books, both the Davenport series as well as the others

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2009/02/16 22:54:56
I am reading "The House Without a Key" (1925) by Earl Derr Biggers.  This is the novel that introduced Charlie Chan.  Five more Chan books followed.

FriedClamFanatic
RE: What are you reading? 2009/02/17 09:34:22
Nancypalooza

Have any of y'all ever read Carl Hiaasen's stuff?  They are a little too off-kilter to be straight detective fiction and he doesn't have one stock character but rather a small cast who pop up randomly in his books.  My favorite is 'Native Tongue'--I don't really like most detective fiction but his stuff is so funny I kind of make an exception for him.

If you like Hiaasen's stuff and the world of whacky Floridians, check out Tim Dorsey
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2009/02/17 09:44:26
FriedClamFanatic

Roy

Bill Bryson is a very funny - and erudite - guy.  I also lived in the UK and he was right-on about it (And if you liked it, read Paul Theroux's Kingdom by the Sea).  Bryson has some other great books.  Read the one about Australia.  I just bought his book on Shakespeare.

I enjoyed his book "Out of Iowa", although it's been a number of years since I read it.  Given that it's about travelling across the USA I think a lot of people here might like it.

I finished Mike Mills' "Peace Love and Barbecue" not too long ago and have been reading bits and pieces of it since then.

Brad
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2009/02/17 10:08:24
"Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith - I've got about 50 pages to go, and it's a real page turner about an MGB agent in 1953 Soviet Union who realizes that there is a serial killer murdereing children, but knows that mentioning this is a crime against the state in the  workers' paradise.  Smith does an excellent job bringing the reader into the paranoid world f Stalinist times.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 25