Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 51
Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/24 12:32:53 (permalink)
Hello All,
I am currently reading, "Edda" by Snorri Sturluson.
It is an account of Norse myths and legends, written
by Snorri (I love that name) around 1220.
I am trying to get into the mind of that time and
see what he was saying and also trying to understand
what it meant to the original Norse people that had
these teachings before Snorri recounted them.
A new world for me to discover.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/24 14:13:00 (permalink)
Improviser:
You definitely should read her books. I just read the first three chapters of The Caged Virgin and .... oh I can't even begin to tell you. honestly it kind of made me feel okay about MY feelings toward Islam and the brutality of women in their culture/religion. I think if she weren't once a Muslim herself and black she'd be considered racist and or ethnocentric--I hate to say that. her book Infidel was such an eye opener as is The CAged Virgin. She actually wrote the latter first but I didn't know till i was in the middle of Infidel. I could not put it down!

the next couple of books I plan on reading are:
Knots by Farrah about a similar (fictional) situation between a Somalian woman living in Toronto.
Lover of Unreason by Koren about the deadly disastrous effects of the relationship between the poet Sylvia Plath's husband, Ted Hughes and his lover and their child together.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/24 14:16:33 (permalink)
Mr. Chips:
thanks for the recommendation, I just put All God's Children on hold at my local library.

I've been so busy being a stay at home that I've just realized how much I actually missed reading for leisure I plan on having lists of books to look forward to to reading.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/25 12:14:21 (permalink)
The last two were Jefferson and Jackson. Good reading, about 2 great presidents !!!! Great books are treasures.

Last summer I read "Master and Commander" (they made a good movie of the same name a few years ago) by Patrick O'Brien. It took a little while to get used to the language because Mr. O'Brien used the English of 1800 even though the book was written in the 1990's, how difficult must that have been. It was one of those "can't put it down books".

But then I found it was the first of 20 volumes relating the adventures of the two heros and their families--I felt as if I knew them all well. Mr O'B died during the writing of book 21 and with him he took both families --- what a shame, I missed them.

I sent 3 copies of the book to 3 friends who read and appreciate good literature. From those three at least one lad bought the whole series of 21 and God knows how many more were bought to add to Mr O'B's estate.

Some others I have read and liked and passed on-----------

Pillars of the Earth by Koontz (wonderful)
Angels of Death--Michael Shaara (didn't know he wrote two others, I will look for them)
All of John Grisholm, and Robert Parker, Jack Higgins,
and Dick Francis (one of the best), and John MacDonald, and Lawrence Sanders.

I agree completely on Clancy and Ludlam---both names are spoiled forever. Money has ruined them. I have liked some of Clive Cussler and Dale Brown but not all.

Read all of Mary Higgins Clarke, and Michael Connelly (saw his new one in Borders yesterday)
Loved Inspector Morse stories written by Colin Dexter
and Sue Graftons little lady PT Kinsey

Started reading during grammar school vacations with Agatha Christe and SS VanDyne, went through Zane Grey and Raphiel Sabatini and then Hemingway, James Cain and Howard Fast etc.etc. Have always found reading better than a sleeping draught (as Hercule Poirot would say), and so to bed !!!!!!!!!

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/25 14:25:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
I am currently reading, "Edda" by Snorri Sturluson.
It is an account of Norse myths and legends, written
by Snorri (I love that name) around 1220.
I am trying to get into the mind of that time and
see what he was saying and also trying to understand
what it meant to the original Norse people that had
these teachings before Snorri recounted them.
A new world for me to discover.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Thanks Fieldthistle, I'll give that one a spin.

A couple others I have read (as mentioned above The Farfarers by Farley Mowat) "Westward before Columbus" by Kare Prytz and the "Vinland Sagas", translated by Magnus Magnusson and Hermann Palsson.

The Norse were a brutal people, but also very adept seamen. I have read an online book that believes Vinland was actually on Vancouver Island. Apparentely, there was (gasp!) global warming back in the 900's (probably caused by all those fires the people in the dark ages built) and the Northwest Passage was open for far longer periods of time, allowing these early explorers to travel all the way around to the West Coast of North America. Maybe a bit far-fetched, but an interesting and thought provoking theory to say the least.

Here is the link to this surprisingly well researched book.

http://www.spirasolaris.ca/sbb4g1av.html

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/29 10:15:24 (permalink)
Currently, I'm reading "The Planets" by Dava Sobel. It's a fascinating look at each planet in our solar system, with lots of scientific, literary, philosophical, and historical information for such a slim volume. And the lady is a terrific storyteller.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/29 10:44:29 (permalink)
I finished Ramsey Campbell's The Nameless the other day. Campbell's been praised by other horror writers like Stephen King and Peter Straub but I couldn't really get into The Nameless. It never really seemed to take off. I'll give some of his other books a try but not for awhile.

Stephen King's two boys, Owen and Joe, both have books out. I'm reading Owen's We're All In This Together, but I just started it. I'm on the waiting list for Joe's book, Heart Shaped Box. He writes under the name Joe Hill.

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/29 10:46:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by naxet76

Improviser:
You definitely should read her books. I just read the first three chapters of The Caged Virgin and .... oh I can't even begin to tell you. honestly it kind of made me feel okay about MY feelings toward Islam and the brutality of women in their culture/religion. I think if she weren't once a Muslim herself and black she'd be considered racist and or ethnocentric--I hate to say that. her book Infidel was such an eye opener as is The CAged Virgin. She actually wrote the latter first but I didn't know till i was in the middle of Infidel. I could not put it down!

the next couple of books I plan on reading are:
Knots by Farrah about a similar (fictional) situation between a Somalian woman living in Toronto.
Lover of Unreason by Koren about the deadly disastrous effects of the relationship between the poet Sylvia Plath's husband, Ted Hughes and his lover and their child together.

naxet, have you ever read anything by Marjane Satrapi? She's a graphic novelist who writes about her early life in Iran. Her graphic novels are terrific. Start with Persepolis, then Persepolis 2. Embroderies and Chicken With Plums are also very good.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2007/05/30 08:57:09 (permalink)
Bomba the Jungle Boy Among the Slaves (1929) by Roy Rockwood, the 8th in the series of 20 books about Bomba, which spanned from 1926 to 1938. The adventures of a sort of teenage Tarzan that takes place in the Amazons. Pretty hair-raising stuff!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/08 13:49:31 (permalink)
I just finished John Patrick Diggins' s biography of John Adams and Gary Wills' s biography of james Madison. Both were enjoyable reads. The big news is that with the completion of these two books i have now read at least one biography of each American president, completing one of my life goals.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/10 18:27:11 (permalink)
Mr. Chips

I just finished reading All God's Children. Boy, it was quite distressing! I grew up in a very small town and living here in San Antonio now I hardly ever go near downtown and when I used to or on the occasions that I need to drive in the area the ony homeless people I've seen are older men,women I've not really seen groups of homelss youth as described in the novel. What do you mean that this book changed your outlook on these kinds of teens? I was appalled at all the services that the kids got...what a way to keep in living on the streets, huh?
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/11 16:29:37 (permalink)
I'm just about half way through the first volume of Shelby foote's narrative of the Civil War .
naxet76
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/13 10:38:57 (permalink)
i've also been reading books on the French Revolution, Henry VIII's children and what happened to them, and now I'm going to start reading the life of elizabeth I by Alison Weir.

For those who like fictional historical mysteries I recommend The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I read it about 10 years ago and to this day I will still pick it up and read it over again. It's about a serial killer in New York City in early 1900s (or late 1800s?) and an alienist is the name of a psychologist. It involves a reporter, a psychologist and several others trying innovative ways to catch this child sexual predator/serial murderer.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/13 11:26:55 (permalink)
I just finished "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. My sister thought I'd like it. This time she was right. I highly recommend it. pb
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2464
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/14 01:14:31 (permalink)
I just finished FAITHFUL by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan. They started the 2004 spring training and wrote about the Red Sox 2004 season. I felt a little tear in my eye when I started reading about their victory over the Yankees. Three years later and I still feel it!! Man.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/14 11:28:45 (permalink)
That's the only Stephen King book I've never read, Billyboy. I need to track it down.

Last night I meant to just dip into Mel Torme's autobiography "It wasn't all Velvet'" before going to bed, but I ended up staying up way too late and finishing it. I really enjoyed it. I've always been a big fan of Mel.

This is one of my favorite stories involving Mel
http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL245.htm
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/14 12:41:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by naxet76

Mr. Chips

I just finished reading All God's Children. Boy, it was quite distressing! I grew up in a very small town and living here in San Antonio now I hardly ever go near downtown and when I used to or on the occasions that I need to drive in the area the ony homeless people I've seen are older men,women I've not really seen groups of homelss youth as described in the novel. What do you mean that this book changed your outlook on these kinds of teens? I was appalled at all the services that the kids got...what a way to keep in living on the streets, huh?
One of the clients in the group home where I work left our system because she felt our "rules" were too confining. She went to live on the street, fell in with a family, and decided it was better to rob, steal, and beg, and was beaten up and put in jail. The group home idea came up when so many folks came out of the Oregon State Hospital and needed help integrating into the world. Now so many of the younger folks know all their rights but do not want to take on their responsibilities. Many agencies act on the runaway kid myths and are unwilling to face the fact that many street kids have made a willing choice to stay on the streets and live irresponsible lives. And the infrastructure is here indefinitely.
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/15 09:28:29 (permalink)
I am reading a book called "geek love" about a family of circus performers, the mother (who is a geek, which in old terms is a person who bit the heads off of chickens)deliberatly took drugs and exposed herself to radiation in order to have children who were deformed enough to make money off of them as "freaks" its narrated by thier daughter who is a humpbacked albino dwarf named Olympia. They have other children, Arty who has flippers and siamese twins, and a normal looking child who is a powerful psychic. Its seriously a very raw, emotional, visceral book and so far i am loving it...but than again i like anything macabre and on the edge of sanity.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/15 11:41:56 (permalink)
I've heard really good things about Geek Love, Sushi Girl.

Last night I stayed up way too late reading Stephen King's latest, Blaze. I really liked it. Don't go into it expecting a horror novel, it's much more of a crime story with just the barest hint of supernatural goings-on.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/18 10:26:06 (permalink)
Finished American Stories by Calvin Trillin, a collection of his reporting spanning the years. I really liked it. The only other book by Trillin I'd read was About Alice, his memoir about his wife, which I also really liked.

Some highlights of American Stories include: a long profile of magicians Penn & Teller, a really interesting profile of Miami crime reporter Edna Buchanan, and some really in-depth murder stories. Highly recommended.

I'm currently listening to Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid on cd. I really like it. I should finish it on the way home today.
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/22 15:10:48 (permalink)
Am now reading "the circus fire" by Stewart O'nan about the Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey fire in Hartford CT back on july 6th 1944. I love historical books, especially ones that are well researched and this one is
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/22 19:09:02 (permalink)
I just got Fannie Flagg's latest, "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven."

I adore her books.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2464
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/23 01:37:31 (permalink)
Just finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's the first Afghan novel written in English. It was good in some parts, but I saw the ending coming well before I got to it. It reminded me of the "Davinci Code" in that it sparked my interest in learning more about some of the things discussed in the novel (afghan culture, religion, male and female roles in society).

I'm working on "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson. I love it. He talk about growing up in Des Moines, ID in the 50s and 60s. A lot of the things he did with his friends reminds me a lot of my childhood.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/25 01:08:07 (permalink)
I'm almost done with Dina Matos McGreevy's book on her marriage to Jim McGreevy, the ex-governer now turned gay of New Jersey; titled Silent Partner. I'm also reading Sex with the Queen by Eleanor Herman. It's about the royals from the past 400 years or so and their lovers, spouses, etc. and what became of each of them. She also wrote Sex with the King dealing with the same subject matter.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6429
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/25 22:47:03 (permalink)
I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road over the weekend while camping at Bear Head State Park near the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. It was my father's day present from my son and is about a man and his son walking toward the sea in the aftermath of a world holocaust. Every night they made a fire to keep warm. Every night I too made a fire at the campground.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/27 11:34:14 (permalink)
I finished The Yiddish Policeman's Union, the new Michael Chabon novel, last night. While it wasn't as awesomely great as The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, Chabon's novel that won him the Pulitizer, I really liked it. It's a detectice story that takes place in a world where the Jewish Nation was set up in Alaska, not Israel. As the book opens, the Jewish land is set to revert back to U.S. control. A policeman must investigate the murder of a childhood chess prodigy. Anyone who likes mysteries or history should really enjoy it.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/06/28 15:41:07 (permalink)
I read two great books last night. I ordered them both from McSweeneys.net, who were having a sale to help them raise funds to stay alive after their distributor went out of business. They had some great books going for ridiculously cheap prices.

Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and Some Other Things That Aren't as Scary, Maybe, Depending on How You Feel About Lost Lands, Stray Cellphones, Creatures from the Sky, Parents Who Disappear in Peru, a Man Named Lars Farf, and One Other Story We Couldn't Quite Finish, So Maybe You Could Help Us Out" (actual title) is a great collection of children's and young adult stories, including stories by Neil Gaiman, Nick Hornby, George Saunders, and others. Lemony Snicket wrote the introduction! I loved it particularly Gaiman's Sunbird, Clement Freud's Grimble, and Nick Hornby's story, which I'd heard performed on This American Life before.

David Garnett's Lady Into Fox is a gem. It's short but it's absolutely wonderful. I'd never heard of it or its author before. Published in 1922, it's the story of a man whose wife turns into a fox. Lady Into Fox is part of McSweeney's Collins Library which publishes and reintroduces obscure works. Highly recommended.

The Collins Library also released Harry Stephen Keeler's The Riddle of the Travelling Skull which is one of the most insane books every written. A mystery writer who had no patiences for mysteries, Keeler's plot jumps all over the place and makes no sense whatsoever. But the individual chapters are great and the book, while nonsensical, is a joy to read. Highly recommended as well.

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/02 12:05:06 (permalink)
I read two books yesterday.

"Heart Shaped Box" is the debut novel of Joseph King, the son of Stephen and Tabitha King. He writes under the name Joe Hill. I started the book around 8 last night, finished it around 1:30 this morning. I couldn't put it down. The story of a fading rock star who buys a ghost, it's a real page turner. I know the premise sounds silly but the author really makes it work.

I read Owen King's first book a few weeks ago and really liked it. Both of Stephen King's sons seem to be the real deal, talent wise.

I've been attending library sales the past few months. I'm slowly building up a library of autobiographies of great classic comedians and talents. Yesterday I read Name-Dropping by comic Alan King. I really enjoyed it. There some great stories about Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland and other legends in there.

Tonight I'll start Sid Caesar's book, Caesar's Hours.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/03 14:05:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Finished American Stories by Calvin Trillin, a collection of his reporting spanning the years. I really liked it. The only other book by Trillin I'd read was About Alice, his memoir about his wife, which I also really liked.

Some highlights of American Stories include: a long profile of magicians Penn & Teller, a really interesting profile of Miami crime reporter Edna Buchanan, and some really in-depth murder stories. Highly recommended.

I'm currently listening to Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid on cd. I really like it. I should finish it on the way home today.

Trillin's one of my favorite writers. I also liked the Ben & Jerry's story in American Stories.

You need to read his "The Tummy Trilogy", incorporating "American Fried," "Alice, Let's Eat", and "Third Helpings". Tom Chaney, featured in "American Stories", was first met in one of the Tummy trilogy books.

His latest on food is "Feeding a Yen," which is very good as well.
avalon83
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/20 08:49:45 (permalink)
The Bureau and the Mole by David Vise. It's about the capture of the double agent, Robert Hanssen. Breach, the movie, is based on this true story.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1