Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 51
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1976
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/20 11:37:00 (permalink)
I have been a Turtledove fan since "Guns of the South", and I enjoyed his series about an alien invasion during WW2. Jake Featherston is a favorite literary bad guy, and I like the way that the author is willing to let characters die. That said, I had a tough time getting through "Ruled Britania" , and didn't rush out to buy the new series about WW2, starting with "Days of Infamy". I bought "Days" last week and read it all within 24 hours, and then rushed out to buy the follow on volume. Both are in paperback, already, so I don't think that they did too well. Too bad. They are good summer reads. He has his groove back.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/22 14:07:56 (permalink)
I've read Guns of the South and the first two books in Turtledove's WWII series. I need to read more of his books.

Friday night, I stayed up all night reading the latest and last Harry Potter book (the staying up all night til I finish the book is somewhat of a tradition for me). I really loved it.

This morning I finished Caesar's Hours, Sid Caesar's autobiography. My local library has some of the Sid Caesar show on dvd, I've got to start checking them out.

I'm alternating chapters of Michael Chabon's novel Wonder Boys with Avram Davidson's Adventures in Unhistory, which examines various myths such as dragons and werewolves and tries to find a factual basis for them. I'm really enjoying it. It's not a book I can read all at once. But I really like dipping into it a chapter at a time.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/22 19:44:40 (permalink)
Just finished The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan. I'd only heard of the Dust Bowl., probably in association with Woody Guthrie. This is an engaging and informative book.

Now I've started We'll Always Have Paris: American Tourists in France since 1930 by Harvey Levenstein.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/22 20:06:25 (permalink)
Just finished "The Worst Call Ever" by Kyle Gartlett and Patrick O'Neal. It is a book about horrible officiating calls in the big 4 sports plus soccer and the Olympics. A quick fun read.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1087
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/23 09:44:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Friday night, I stayed up all night reading the latest and last Harry Potter book (the staying up all night til I finish the book is somewhat of a tradition for me). I really loved it.

I couldn't stay up on Friday night but I did manage to fini**** by early Sunday. I too loved it.
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/23 09:50:00 (permalink)
Harry Potter book 7, also the latest Janet Evanovich's book in the Stephanie Plum series...I believe it's 13...on the horizon is a book by S.E. Hinton who wrote the Outsiders years ago.....
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/23 13:41:12 (permalink)
Which Hinton book, Linda? I really liked The Outsiders and That Was Then, This Is Now.
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/23 13:53:18 (permalink)
Hey Improviser...yeah me too...it's Hawks Harbor...found it at Sam's club...hard cover for I believe under $5.00...don't know anything about it yet....but here's a website with a listing of all Hinton's books

http://www.sehinton.com/books/
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 730
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/23 22:42:00 (permalink)
"Bomba the Jungle Boy and the Lost Explorers" (1930) by Roy Rockwood.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/24 02:12:32 (permalink)
Mmmmm. just finished Harry Potter. Am debating whether to start at the beginning and read it all over again.

I can't believe it's all over......whimper.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/24 11:18:54 (permalink)
Just finished Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" and will give a dozen or more copies as presents. Written in 2004 and I think it should be read by everyone concerned with the good old USA and the rest of the world.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/24 11:59:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Neesie

.......That's also why I love John Irving. His character, Owen Meany (A Prayer for Owen Meany) is one of my all-time favorites.......

I totally agree. I just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany and I believe it's my new-favorite John Irving book. Thanks for the recommendation! pb
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/24 15:54:32 (permalink)
Mr Mariner, I've been pushing the book "State of Fear" in every thread we've had about global warming, etc for a long time now. I too think everyone should read it.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/24 18:42:02 (permalink)
Pwings---maybe you and I (other than Crichton) are the only ones who realize how we are being
taken for a ride. Keep plugging !!!! I am !!!!!!
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/25 13:36:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Just finished The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan. I'd only heard of the Dust Bowl., probably in association with Woody Guthrie. This is an engaging and informative book.

Now I've started We'll Always Have Paris: American Tourists in France since 1930 by Harvey Levenstein.

Sandy in 2009 a movie version of "the worst hard time" is supposed to come out.

Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/25 13:37:22 (permalink)
I tend to read several books at a time, so my selections at the moment include:

Crazies to the Left of me, Wimps to the Right, Bernard Goldberg
Ball of Fire: The Tumultuous Life and Comic Art of Lucille Ball, Stafan Kanfer
Life on the Other Side, Sylvia Browne (I'm really enjoying this one!)
The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America (to any O'Reilly fans here..I would HIGHLY recommend his new book Culture Warrior..I think I finished it in 2 days!)
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/25 17:21:35 (permalink)
Mr Mariner, maybe it's the fact that Michael Crichton is imparting this information in a novel -- despite the fact that he has an impressive set of footnotes that ARE REAL SCIENTIFIC DATA that supports the fiction of global warming, and fearmongering.

I've got it sitting here -- maybe I'll read it again (already ready it twice).
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/25 17:31:53 (permalink)
I fully support a green society.

What I really questions is how much man can affect his environment the way that people like Al Gore claim in his movie, etc.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2007/07/25 19:00:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Sandy in 2009 a movie version of "the worst hard time" is supposed to come out.

That's interesting, Sushi Girl. I found it painful to read at times, knowing that these things happened. I hope H'wood doesn't try to turn it into some kind of sappy love story. It has a pretty strong environmental theme as well as being critical of the runaway financial speculation of the time: not usually blockbuster themes.

Have you read it? If so, what are your thoughts?
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/01 16:28:15 (permalink)
Finished Avram Davidson's Adventures in Unhistory the other day. Really liked it. I'll definitely be tracking down more of his work.

Stayed up way too late last night finishing Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure. Really enjoyable, if not quite as good as Palin's Full Circle.

Of course, that might be because I haven't read a lot of Hemingway. I'll have to add more of him to the pile of books to read. That pile grows and grows and grows. Anyone else have that problem?

I think I'll check out Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon first. Referred to as the Bible of Bullfighting, I'm interested in reading because I'll be taking in a bullfight in Mexico next month.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/01 17:42:43 (permalink)
Pwingsx---it is really funny that you are an advocate of a green society.
If it were still available I would give you the address of my web site.
It was called "We Build Green Houses" and in the 5 pages I talk about
much of the technology that we used, and which can be used to build homes
that use little or no energy. I received a lot of interested mail, but
unfortunately it all happened at a time when my life changed completely.
And then while still unable to handle things correctly I forgot to pay
for the web site and it disappeared into cyber heaven. I would love to
build a house using the wonderful stuff that is available but which most
people ignore.

By the way Donald Trump's name will be on a new restaurant at beautiful
Jones Beach on Long Island. Many of the features I fought for will be
incorporated. Seven years too late for me !!!!!!!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/01 21:26:12 (permalink)

I just completed two books on a related topic but from different generations. The topic is Military Signal Intelligence.

First is "Most Secret War, A History of Army Security Agency Operations in the Vietnam War".(Govt Printing Office, 2003) I served in this branch during the early years of Vietnam. While I was aware of some of the activities of my units during that period, compartmentization of information kept me from knowing the details of the scope of our operations. Now that the stuff has been partially de-classified, I have been able to fill in the blanks in my memories of SEA.

Second is The Expendables, by Ted Wildman, a personal diary of a fellow who was one of the Navy Cryptographers who worked on intercepting and deciphering the Japanese Codes before and during WW II. It was really interesting to me to read of his experiences in the field (China and Mongolia)in the 1930's and 40's. The primitive technology in itself is great reading for me...But for those of you who have enjoyed W E B Griffen's Series on "The Corp", reading a true version of the Mongolian Radio and Weather Station that Griffen describes in his fictional novels is all the more 'Alive'.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/02 10:17:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Of course, that might be because I haven't read a lot of Hemingway. I'll have to add more of him to the pile of books to read. That pile grows and grows and grows. Anyone else have that problem?

Oh MAN can I sympathize! I have three piles at home in three different rooms: One in the library, one in the living room, and one on my bedside table!

Just finished "The Covenant" by Naomi Regen. Story of four elderly women who survived Auschwitz and made a pact to always help each other, coming together when the husband and daughter of one's granddaughter is kidnapped in Israel by Hamas terrorists. Very moving, and very well researched too.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/02 12:17:29 (permalink)
i usually have at least three books going at one time...the piles keep growing!
i just read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and highly recommend it to anyone at all...it's informative, and entertaining, and provides a real grass-roots perspective on eating locally and how it can be tremendously positive for your family, community, and by extension, our country...the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook is full of fascinating stories, as well as recipes that i'm just drooling over - haven't cooked from it yet, however...
...i also just finished "The Detox Diet" by Alex Jamison...good info, seems like a great plan for life if you can spend the time cooking and money on organic and unprocessed ingredients - she's engaged to Morgan Spurlock of "Super=size Me" fame, and says her detox diet was what brought him back to optimum health after his Mcdonald's experiment for his movie...
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/02 13:14:04 (permalink)
Last night I read Kenneth Turan's Never Coming To A Theater Near You, a collection of his reviews for the Los Angeles Times and other outlets. I liked it but the title made me think it was going to be about lost films when it's actually a collection of reviews of smaller films that not many people saw. Even that's misleading, though, as several of the movies reviewed got extensive releases (Whale Rider, for example). Still, I enjoyed his criticism.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to read all the books on my shelves that I've never read before buying any more. Of course, there's a library sale on Sunday so I won't be able to keep that promise.

I might start The Lovely Bones or Angela's Ashes this week.
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/02 18:38:52 (permalink)
Has anybody read "Secrets"?
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1976
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/03 15:00:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I just completed two books on a related topic but from different generations. The topic is Military Signal Intelligence........(part removed to save space)

This reminded me of an old favorite"Cuise of the LaniKai" (sp?) by Kemp Tolly. It may be out of print. My late father in law was blown into the water, but survived Pearl. He was always sure that something was fishy... This book backs Dad's claim.

Lt (later Adm) Kemp Tolly, in late 1941 was given command of the US "ship of war" Lanakai, which was in reality an old sail powered trader that had a few light weapons installed. He was to go on a "show the flag" mission near Japanese held islands. His opinion in the book, is that it was his mission to get the Japanese (not our enemy yet) upset enough that they would capture or sink him, giving the USA the chance to rachet up the pressure on Japan. Lucky for Tolly and his crew he found out about the attack of 7 Dec before he got into real trouble, and was able to abort his mission. The young Captain (of the "ship", his rank was Lieutenant) got to live and go on to a very distinguished career.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/17 10:48:42 (permalink)
I just finished "Sky time in Grays River", a memoir of Robert michael Pyle's life in Grays River, Wa, a small community about 30 miles inland from the mouth of the Columbia river. It is an account of his life in the region arranged by time of year and personal whim. I found out about the book the day after I had driven through the area and seen the covered bridge that abuts his property. i marvel at his desrciptive skill and reccomend it highly to anyoe who appreciates good writing.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10222
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/17 11:23:01 (permalink)
I just started reading "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan Eckart, which is about the history of the Ohio river. I actually came recommended to me by a guy I sat next to on an airplane. It is a little dry so far, but it is interesting learning more about the history of the area I am from.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: What are you reading? 2007/08/17 12:41:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I just started reading "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan Eckart, which is about the history of the Ohio river. I actually came recommended to me by a guy I sat next to on an airplane. It is a little dry so far, but it is interesting learning more about the history of the area I am from.

BB

It does read a little dry through out but the history it covers is awesome. This coming from someone who was raised 150 yds from that dark and bloody river.

I have a signed copy of this book, he was doing a promotion of the book at our local library and I had him sign it.

Lochry's Defeat happened less than a 1/4 mile from our old house.
There are several historical markers around that area.

Laughery creek was named for Col Lochry. Most of the locals say it as LOCK ER EE.

If you like american history, he has written several books that are awesome. Wilderness war, Frontiers man, Wilderness Empire, Conquerers.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1