Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 51
Author
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2007/11/24 08:41:04 (permalink)
"Hunting for Hidden Gold" (1928), # 5 in the Hardy Boys mystery canon. I am impressed that with each succeeding title the stories keep improving. Only the first title in the series, I found, was rather weak.

I also read "Dashing Diamond Dick and Other Classic Dime Novels" (2007) edited by J. Randolph Cox. This is an excellent introduction to anyone interested reading dime novel texts from the 1870-1915 period.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2007/11/26 22:36:31 (permalink)
I just started Territory by Emma Bull. It's a novel about Wyatt Earp and his days in Tombstone. I really like it so far. Bull just introduced a touch of magic to the plot and I'm interested to see where she takes it.

After this, I'll switch off between George Singleton's new novel "Work shirts for Madmen" and Conrad's Lord Jim.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: What are you reading? 2007/12/31 19:26:00 (permalink)
My Christmas loot includes.

No Reservations by Anthony Bourdain

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Drink: A Social History of America by Andrew Barr

Single Malt Scotch by Bill Milne and Roddy Martine

So I have lots of reading to do now.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8370
RE: What are you reading? 2007/12/31 20:24:41 (permalink)
Patricia Cornwell- The Book of Death
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 00:23:22 (permalink)
Behind That Curtain (1928) by Earl Derr Biggers. It's the 3rd Charlie Chan mystery.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 14:45:53 (permalink)
The Hidden Family, by Charles Stross.

Medieval mafia-like crime family in a multiple universe setting.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 14:53:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

I'm currently reading books from Bernard Cornwell specifically his Richard Sharpe novels. Cornwell writes historical fiction. He takes his characters and places them in a fact based historical setting. The original Sharpe series was set in the Portuga/Spanish war against Napoleon in the 1812 - 15 timeframe. Sharpe is a British soldier fighting with Lord (to be) Wellington. More Sharpe books came out later with him in India in the 1803 - 05 timeframe.

MikeS.

I love all of the Cornwell historical fiction novels. I first read one of the Sharpes, and then researched and read them in chronological order. Then I went through the Arthur books, the Grail Quest series, Stonehenge, and now the Saxon stories. Great stuff.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 15:22:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

The last two were Jefferson and Jackson. Good reading, about 2 great presidents !!!! Great books are treasures.

Last summer I read "Master and Commander" (they made a good movie of the same name a few years ago) by Patrick O'Brien. It took a little while to get used to the language because Mr. O'Brien used the English of 1800 even though the book was written in the 1990's, how difficult must that have been. It was one of those "can't put it down books".

But then I found it was the first of 20 volumes relating the adventures of the two heros and their families--I felt as if I knew them all well. Mr O'B died during the writing of book 21 and with him he took both families --- what a shame, I missed them.

I sent 3 copies of the book to 3 friends who read and appreciate good literature. From those three at least one lad bought the whole series of 21 and God knows how many more were bought to add to Mr O'B's estate.

Some others I have read and liked and passed on-----------

Pillars of the Earth by Koontz (wonderful)
Angels of Death--Michael Shaara (didn't know he wrote two others, I will look for them)
All of John Grisholm, and Robert Parker, Jack Higgins,
and Dick Francis (one of the best), and John MacDonald, and Lawrence Sanders.

I agree completely on Clancy and Ludlam---both names are spoiled forever. Money has ruined them. I have liked some of Clive Cussler and Dale Brown but not all.

Read all of Mary Higgins Clarke, and Michael Connelly (saw his new one in Borders yesterday)
Loved Inspector Morse stories written by Colin Dexter
and Sue Graftons little lady PT Kinsey

Started reading during grammar school vacations with Agatha Christe and SS VanDyne, went through Zane Grey and Raphiel Sabatini and then Hemingway, James Cain and Howard Fast etc.etc. Have always found reading better than a sleeping draught (as Hercule Poirot would say), and so to bed !!!!!!!!!

If you are still working your way through the Aubrey/Maturin series, I recommend A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian

I've read the series four times.

Oh, and there is Lobscouse and Spotted Dog the companion cookbook.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 15:25:57 (permalink)
quote:

Pwings---maybe you and I (other than Crichton) are the only ones who realize how we are being
taken for a ride. Keep plugging !!!! I am !!!!!!

That makes three of us.
AllysonChains
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 17:10:43 (permalink)
Blood Lust ~ Sheila Johnson

It's a True Crime story.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/01 21:33:52 (permalink)
"A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions of a Freethinking Roughneck"
By Trace Adkins

"Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook"
By Georgeanne Brennan

"To See You Again"
By Betty Schimmel and Joyce Gabriel
This one will get to you, my wife could only read so far into it before crying and stopping for a while. It is based on the true story of Betty Schimmel (mother of Comedian Robert Schimmel).

It is the story of a Holocaust survivor who clung to a romance for the strength to stay alive, even as she witnessed devastation and death around her.

She fell in love as a young teenager during World War II. She ultimately survived the horrors of the Holocaust, only to hear that the object of her affection had been killed. Following the war, she married another man, moved with him to the United States and raised a family.

Thirty years later, on a visit to Budapest, Hungary, she encountered her childhood boyfriend, the man she thought had died. That reunion is the basis of "To See You Again."

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/02 10:32:03 (permalink)
Finished Kim Newman's Anno Dracula last night. It's great. It takes place in a world where Dracula has taken over England. It's funny in places, scary in others and has a great pace. It's really fun to play "spot the historical or fictional character" throughout the book, as Kim works in references to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Moreau, to name just two. Highly recommended.

Now I'm bouncing back and forth between "Mad Mary Lamb", a non-fiction book by Susan Tyler Hitchcock, and "Soon I will be invincible" by Austin Grossman.

Mad Mary Lamb is a well-researched examination of the life of Mary Lamb,a woman who, under intense pressure and strain, killed her mother in the early 1800s. I'm enjoying it so far.

Soon I will be invincible is great so far. A comic book in novel form, the book alternates chapters between Dr. Impossible, an evil supergenius and Fatale, a rookie on a superhero team. Can't wait to get back to it.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/02 12:59:12 (permalink)
I'm reading at the moment Denis Johsons's "Tree of Smoke", it's excellent.

It follows two brothers and a CIA psy/op guy through a twenty year period starting in 1963 at the Kennedy assasination and our beginning involvement in Vietnam.

It reminds me a lot of Catch-22 in it's "style" for lack of a better word, and his Heller like characters...or so I think so far.
Dialog is very snappy!

Just finished "The Venetian Betrayal" by Steve Berry.
It was alright but not as good as "The Alexandria Link" or "The Templar Legacy".

Pretty good escapism with enough real history (he does his homework) that balances the drama.
This guy's a decent writer with an interesting character in ex-justice agent, turned rare book dealer, Cotton Malone.

I don't care all that much for serial characters or too many series/serial like writing but so far I'm satisfied enough to look for his other work that I've missed.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/03 11:05:19 (permalink)
I've heard great things about Tree of Smoke, Pat.

Finished Soon I will be invincible last night. It was very good, a strong debut from the author, Austin Grossman. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more from him.
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/03 11:13:53 (permalink)
Just finished Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. Excellent, although maybe not quite as good as Empire Falls. I'm mostly through Suite Francaise, a masterfully crafted book about the German occupation of France. It is exceptionally interesting as the author herself was a victim of the Jewish persecution by the Nazis. The book is unfinished, but her daughters saved the manuscript and so it survives today. I have On Chesill Beach and Cheating at Canasta waiting on my nightstand.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/08 09:56:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

Pwings---maybe you and I (other than Crichton) are the only ones who realize how we are being
taken for a ride. Keep plugging !!!! I am !!!!!!

That makes three of us.

That makes four of us. I finished State of Fear yesterday. The plot may be a tad hokey, but the facts (with footnotes and bibliography) that are worked in make it a must read. pb
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/08 11:10:35 (permalink)
Porkbeaks

Excellent article in the NY Times, of all places, calling Gore and his cohorts--"availability entrepreneurs". Blaming every natural disaster in the world on Global Warming these doom and gloom merchants are scaring people when there is no real evidence to support the claims. Crichton's book is right on. The article is entitled "In 2008, a 100 Percent Chance of Alarm" and was published on
Jan 1st.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/08 12:18:47 (permalink)
I finished an excellent book last night, Xinran's The Good Women of China.

XInran, who know writes for London's The Guardian, hosted a popular show on Chinese radio for years. Through her show, she was able to collect stories of women throughout her country. Through these stories, she was able to address, on the air, topics such as homosexuality, marriage, happiness, sex and love, topics that were usually censored, if not outright forbidden by the state-controlled radio.

The Good Women of China is a collection of some of those stories. I found it both eye-opening and heartbreaking. I think too often, we toss around the word "oppressed" when we're speaking of the Chinese people, without having an ounce of understanding of what the people are actually going through. I know I've been guilty of this.

These lives of the women Xinran writes about are awful. Treated like property, condemned for life if a neighbor catches them being kissed on the forehead by a boyfriend, subject to sexual abuses by husbands who consider them "old gray rags", the stories here are hard to read, yet essential. Anyone who can read the chapter on the women of Shouting Hill village without shuddering in disgust as a stronger constitution than I.

Highly recommended.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/14 14:13:26 (permalink)
I finished The Bloody Red Baron, the sequel to Kim Newman's Anno Dracula, over the weekend. It's terrific. World War I as played out in a world ruled by vampires, Newman once again takes his own characters, throws them in established characters from fiction and movies, and comes out with something greatly entertaining. Highly recommended for fans of horror and alternative history.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/14 16:20:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

I've heard great things about Tree of Smoke, Pat.

They are true...I bet you'll love it, a really great read!

Finished "The Abduction" last night. A pretty decent 2nd book by Mark Gimenez (I have to find his first "Color of Law" now).

It's about a ten tear old girl being kidnapped and her father, a new techno billionair and grandfather, an ex vietnam green beret, who have been estranged from one another searching for her.

It's has a few moments of convenience (what's the term..deus ex machina?) but this guy can certainly write.

Also read "Last Night at the Lobster" written by the dude that co-authored the book with Stephen King about the Boston Red Sox.
Critics liked it...I'll only say that's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back (it's really a novella).

It might be that since I've worked in food most of my life it was just another day at work (with out pay) and just I could'nt wait to clock out.

On the other hand if you have ever worked or like to eat at Red Lobster it might just be up your cheddar biscuits.

Starting "Heart Sick" by Chelsea Cain...has a hot lady serial killer...who doesn't just love those!
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/14 17:54:56 (permalink)
Whatever Stuart Woods latest release is, can't remember the name
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/15 10:52:07 (permalink)
Two for the Road, by Jane & Michael Stern.

I bought it on a whim, from Amazon.com, and I really like it. It has been out for a while, and I hadn't understood that it is mostly a memoir, with roadfood recipes thrown in as a bonus. I thought it was just a collection of restaurant reviews. There are lots of funny bits about things they encounter on their travels. Who knew that they started out in an old Suburban, with camping gear? And that they had fears about traveling in the South, after seeing Easy Rider? Or that Jane wanted to bring an oxygen mask for travel to Colorado?

Great stuff - highly recommended to Roadfood.com devotees who have not already read it.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/15 10:58:59 (permalink)
I've re-picked up Julia Child's book: My Life in France.
I started it some time ago, but got busy in the evenings and had no time to read. So, I've started it over again. At this point in the book, she has started taking French language classes. (I'm pretty early on in the book.)
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/15 18:08:31 (permalink)
Mississippi Mud by Edward Humes - it was just riveting, a train wreck of a book I couldn't put down. True crime story of the 1987 murders of Biloxi attorney and judge Vincent Sherry, and his mayoral candidate wife, Margaret.

The Pat Conroy Cookbook - more than just recipes, a lot of background information on his family, writing career, places that left impressions on him, people he's known throughout his life, and what looks like some really good dishes to try.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/15 18:13:28 (permalink)
I just finished Single Malt Scotch by Bill Milne and Roddy Martine. It was an informative but very easy afternoon read because most of the book was outstanding photography of Scotland and its distilleries.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1986
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/17 13:09:33 (permalink)
I just finished In at the Death (I don't know how to bold face the title) by Harry Turtledove. It is, IMO, not his best work, or even the best of the series but it does clean up loose ends. I liked the series enough to buy this final installment in hardcover. Local libraries only have a few copies and looong waiting lists. I'll give my copy to the local library next time I go.
termays
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/17 14:16:06 (permalink)
I've been reading a lot of biographies lately, not sure why. Last one was about John Wilkes Booth, next up is director Otto Preminger.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/17 15:12:37 (permalink)
If anyone here likes American History I can highly recommend the Shaara
father and son duo. Michael's book "The Killer Angels" was the basis
for the TV Documentary Gettysburg and son Jeff has gone on from there.

Starting with the events leading up to the Revolutionary War and taking
us to WW2 these books are novels based on fact. If I had found them when
I was in school I would have been an A student in American History.
Easy reading and full of info. I am learning a lot about Ben Franklin,
John Adams and a hero I had never heard about Col Joshua Chamberlain, who
with Gen US Grant were probably the biggest Union heros of the Civil War.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/18 01:50:20 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
My last three books have been (in this order, basically, but a bit of back-and-forth):
1) "The Temple Bombing" -- Melissa Fay Greene.
2) "Florida's Flagler" -- S. Walter Martin.
3) "Oranges" -- John McPhee.
Right now (not literally -- I'm at the library right now!), I'm thumbing randomly through an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.
Hurriedly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1986
RE: What are you reading? 2008/01/18 11:06:35 (permalink)
quote:

If anyone here likes American History I can highly recommend the Shaara
father and son duo. Michael's book "The Killer Angels" was the basis
for the TV Documentary Gettysburg and son Jeff has gone on from there.

Starting with the events leading up to the Revolutionary War and taking
us to WW2 these books are novels based on fact. If I had found them when
I was in school I would have been an A student in American History.
Easy reading and full of info. I am learning a lot about Ben Franklin,
John Adams and a hero I had never heard about Col Joshua Chamberlain, who
with Gen US Grant were probably the biggest Union heros of the Civil War.

Thanks! I hadn't realized that they had done a WW2 book. They do bting history to life, much as Herman Wouk did.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1