The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What are you reading?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 49, messages 511 to 540 of 1470
Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 1:45 AM (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Night before last, I finished my Advance Reading Copy of Robb Walsh's "Are You Really Going To Eat That?"
Last night, I devoured Harold V. Shumacher's June, 1976 book, "101 Restaurants -- An Insiders Guide To Atlanta Dining." Of the 101 he mentions, 21 are still in business in the same location; one is still there with the same address and phone number, but a new name; five are still in business but have moved; two are still in their old location, but have another new one as well; eight are probably closed, but somebody else is using the same name; three have closed their original location, but remain open elsewhere; and three have expanded beyond their wildest dreams. There is only one overlap here, so that means that of the 101 in the book, 58 are gone and maybe forgotten and maybe not... amazing.
Well-Readly, Ort. Carlton in Literate Athens, Georgia.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 7:46 AM (permalink)
    I haven't gotten to read for pleasure in a long time and I'll have to pick up more school stuff soon, but I started 'Kabul Beauty School' by Deborah Rodriguez over the weekend and it's fascinating so far.

improviser, you're kind of a reading fool!

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
      RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
      The Magus by John Fowles it'll probably take me a while since the weather's nice and i Have a ton of yardwork to do.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
        RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 9:28 AM (permalink)
        I've noticed and am guilty myself of this. After reading most of the posts on this thread Men read books written by Men and Women read books written by Women. Though not always the case but it seems to be the majority.
        I would say my prefrence probably stems back to when I was forced, required reading for an english class, 7th grade, to read Little Women. I had no interest what so ever in that novel, maybe I sould revist it. On the other hand I had to read Longfellows Snowbound in the same year and couldn't put it down.
        The only female writer that I actively read is Doris Kearns Goodwin, a great historian. I must broarden my horizons. Chow Jim

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
          RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 9:50 AM (permalink)
          I've read all the Nevada Barr books.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
            RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 10:46 AM (permalink)
            My only lady author has been Sue Grafton---G as in Good.
            Her detective is a real roadfooder--loves MacDonalds.
            But her landloard is a gourmet------fun books.

So Jim I think you are right---but the Lovely Mary Ann likes
            Nelson De Mille and Ken Follett---thinks Pillars of the Earth
            is the best she has ever read.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
              RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 10:59 AM (permalink)
              I am not sure I agree. I have read almost all of Dean Koontz and think that Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain is one of the best ever written.

Susan

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                RE: What are you reading? Thu, 03/27/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                Jim I'm actually more guilty of that in my musical picks; I notice that my collection is full of lady singers.

Sometimes you can get nice crossover too; I think Wally Lamb writes female characters as well as anything I've ever read.

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                  RE: What are you reading? Sat, 03/29/08 7:35 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
                  Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden
                  I started F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night" last night.

Sandy,
                  Found a paperback copy of that today in a thrift store for 25 cents. It always sells.
                  Classically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Ort,

I got this copy at one of the quarterly book sales our local public library holds. I wait until the last day when they hand you a paper grocery bag and you can fill it up for a buck. There are always lots of classics left over, probably from years of high school and college lit. classes.

I'm really intrigued by the story and the characters of "Tender is the Night". Have you started it?

Sandy

Ort. Carlton.

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 1:35 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    quote:
                    quote:
                    Ort, I'm really intrigued by the story and the characters of "Tender is the Night". Have you started it? Sandy

Sandy,
                    Started it? I haven't even UNPACKED it yet!
                    Feeling Like I'm Trying To Push A Peanut Up Pike's Peak With My Nose, Ort. Carlton in Overcluttered Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 1:38 AM (permalink)
                      Dearfolk,
                      My last finished read was "Eat Your Way Across The U. S. A." by none other than Jane & Michael Stern. It's a decent used hardback copy, too. I'm sure I can sell it in Atlanta.
                      Now I'm working on two books at once... I'll detail them when they're finished.
                      Turning Over Those Pages, Ort. Carlton in Athens.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                        RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 9:07 AM (permalink)
                        Right now, I'm about 1/2 way through Ken Follett's World Without End (2007) the "long awaited" sequel to Pillars of the Earth which came out in, I believe, 1989. Takes place in 14th century England and, like the first book, is a great read; especially if you like long books (1000+ pages). Kind of hard to read in bed, though. pb

Sundancer7

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
                          I thought I had read every book Follet had written. I have missed that one. I will purchase it right away.

Wilbur Smith is another one of my favorite authors.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                            RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 9:40 AM (permalink)
                            I'm reading a book called"Kitchen Literacy, How We Lost Knowledge of Where Food Comes from, and Why We Need to Get It Back." It's written by historian Ann Vileisis. The book chronicles the historical changes in the way food makes it to our tables.
                            I'm finding it very interesting. The subject is similar to Michael Pollan's books, but approached from a different, historical perspective.

Davydd

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                              I bought Follet's World Without End last week. I couldn't wait for the paperback in a couple of years since I had read Pillars of the Earth. You're right porkbeaks it is heavy on the chest in bed and it is starting to become my life's work or the Book Without End if I don't pick up the pace of a couple pages every night.

porkbeaks

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                @Davydd: I thought that World Without End might be right up your alley. Were you aware of the architect/builder angle before you read Pillars of the Earth?

@Sundancer: I, too, have enjoyed all the Wilbur Smith books. It's been so long since I've read his early ones, I ought to go back and read a few again. In the past few months, I've gone through the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn and the "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child. You might like them. If possible, read them in the order they came out. pb

Davydd

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                  I was very much aware of what Pillars of the Earth was about and it also took place during a period of English history I was most interested in. I also read Edward Rutherford's Sarum a similar epic but over a much longer time span but did hit the cathedral building period in great detail.

Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series is more orderly and should be read in order if possible. Lee Child's Jack Reacher series is more disoriented in chronology and consistency in character for that matter. I posed this question earlier. Could Jack Reacher take Mitch Rapp?

porkbeaks

RE: What are you reading? Mon, 04/7/08 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Davydd

......... Could Jack Reacher take Mitch Rapp?

Hand to hand, I'd have to go with the bigger Jack. Using weapons, Mitch has better resources. pb

Ort. Carlton.

RE: What are you reading? Fri, 04/11/08 1:52 AM (permalink)
                                      Dearfolk,
                                      I've got three to add to the ever-expanding list.
                                      1) "A Piece Of My Mind" -- Dr. Bruce B. Dan, M. D. & Roxanne K. Young, editors. A compilation of columns in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
                                      2) "Everything In Its Path" -- Kai T. Erikson. The story of the 1972 Buffalo Creek flood in Logan County, West Virginia and its aftermath.
                                      3) "Some Different Kinds Of Songs" -- Deacon Lunchbox. A collection of poetry-of-sorts by a gifted performance artist, killed in April, 1992 in a terrible road accident along with two musicians whom I also knew.
                                      Rapidly Submitted, Ort. Carlton in 30601.

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                                        RE: What are you reading? Fri, 04/11/08 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

quote:
                                        quote:
                                        quote:
                                        Ort, I'm really intrigued by the story and the characters of "Tender is the Night". Have you started it? Sandy

Sandy,
                                        Started it? I haven't even UNPACKED it yet!
                                        Feeling Like I'm Trying To Push A Peanut Up Pike's Peak With My Nose, Ort. Carlton in Overcluttered Athens, Georgia.

Ort,

I'm of two minds about this book and you'll have to read it (or Cliff's Notes) to get that pun. While the writing is brilliant, much of the story is based in an archaic and long-discarded theory of mental illness. Plus Fitzgerald's view of how women think makes this a period piece; but then, he was married to Zelda who was non-compos mentis, so maybe he thought all of us dames wuz nuts. I haven't finsihed it yet so maybe I'm wrong and the whole story will turn out to be a dream. Uh, not to discourage you.

MiamiDon

RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by porkbeaks

Right now, I'm about 1/2 way through Ken Follett's World Without End (2007) the "long awaited" sequel to Pillars of the Earth which came out in, I believe, 1989. Takes place in 14th century England and, like the first book, is a great read; especially if you like long books (1000+ pages). Kind of hard to read in bed, though. pb

I have World Without End queued-up on my to-read bookshelf. I loved Pillars of the Earth, and have read it two or three times over the decades. Like Davydd, I am a student of medieval English history, which adds to the appeal.

MiamiDon

RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                            @Porkbeaks & Davydd

I've read all of the Lee Child Jack Reacher novels, and am awaiting the June 3rd release of Nothing to Lose.

Is Mitch Rapp similar?

porkbeaks

• Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                              RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by MiamiDon

@Porkbeaks & Davydd

I've read all of the Lee Child Jack Reacher novels, and am awaiting the June 3rd release of Nothing to Lose.

Is Mitch Rapp similar?

If you like Jack, I know you'll enjoy Mitch. He's a CIA black ops guy who answers only to the director and the president and, even then, only sometimes. As Davydd advised, they are best read in order of publication. pb

btw,I finished World Without End and am hoping we don't have to wait another 10 years for the next edition. It was a lot "sexier" and not as much "builder" as I remember Pillars of the Earth being. I think I too am becoming a medieval English fan.

Davydd

RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                I probably have every Medieval Welsh history book in print and several not including some I found in used book stores in small Welsh towns. English history to 1282 goes hand in hand with Welsh history. There is one Welsh out of print genealogy book I am trying to get and have had it listed on Amazon.com for over 5 years.

westley

• Total Posts: 76
                                                  RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'm reading two books...

1) The Warden by Anthony Trollope -- tried this one a few times before giving up, but I'm about a 1/3 through it this time around
                                                  2) The Moon in the Gutter by David Goodis

Sundancer7

RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 8:40 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

@Porkbeaks & Davydd

Is Mitch Rapp similar?

I thin they are very similar. I have read both authors. I personaly prefer Mitch Rapp but the Jack Reacher is also very good.

Mitch is a killer.

Paul E. Smith
                                                    Knoxville, TN

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                                                      RE: What are you reading? Sat, 04/12/08 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by westley

I'm reading two books...

1) The Warden by Anthony Trollope -- tried this one a few times before giving up, but I'm about a 1/3 through it this time around
                                                      2) The Moon in the Gutter by David Goodis

I love Trollope - I've read the Palliser series, and have the Barsetshire series, but have only read The Warden & Barchester Towers so far. I much prefer Trollope to Dickens.

I'm also about halfway through World Without End, and really enjoying it.

westley

• Total Posts: 76
                                                        • Location: Charleston, IL
                                                        RE: What are you reading? Sun, 04/13/08 8:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Niagara

I love Trollope - I've read the Palliser series, and have the Barsetshire series, but have only read The Warden & Barchester Towers so far. I much prefer Trollope to Dickens.

I'm also about halfway through World Without End, and really enjoying it.

I'm enjoying "The Warden" and have a few other Barchester books, so I'd like to continue with the series. I've heard that the Palliser novels are even better, so I'd also like to read those books somewhere down the line.

MiamiDon

RE: What are you reading? Sun, 04/13/08 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

@Porkbeaks & Davydd

Is Mitch Rapp similar?

I thin they are very similar. I have read both authors. I personaly prefer Mitch Rapp but the Jack Reacher is also very good.

Mitch is a killer.

Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN

I downloaded a sample of Transfer of Power yesterday, and have read some. It definitely looks like my cup of tea. Thanks, guys.

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                            RE: What are you reading? Sun, 04/13/08 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                                            Vince Flynn, the author of the Mitch Rapp series is from St. Paul and lives in Edina, MN. He is a fairly young guy and never served or been in the CIA, yet he sure puts together a convincing story. I forget which novel but he practically predicted something like 9/11 a couple of years before it happened. He is a frequent guest on drive time talk radio Garage Logic show I listen to.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 49, messages 511 to 540 of 1470

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com