What are you reading?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 25, messages 61 to 120 of 1470
mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
  • Reward points : 0
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 06/22/06 1:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef

my current read is "salt" good book on the geo-politics of this commodity and explains why the basques are still upset.
i also review once a month "on food and cooking" just to remind me why.
i also find che's book on guerilla warfare a great referennce for pro chefs as is mao's little red book

and anything written by tony bourdain is a fun read.
jack
ps. before any vets get mad. i am one also. so keep the commie thoughts to yourself. these are great books for building a cohesive kitchen and instilling personal responsibility into your cooks.
But didn't Mao say quite clearly that a revolution was not a dinner party.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 06/22/06 11:12 AM
Hello All,
Prisonchef, I haven't read Anthony Bourdain, but I've seen his wonderful,
and I mean, wonderful show, "No Reservations,"on the Travel Channel.
I will now look for his books. Thank you.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Copperhedzkettle
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 06/22/06 12:33 PM

Finished 'Smooth Operator'. An easy read.
Starting 'Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
I also read the Bible, King James Version Only.

Copper

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 06/22/06 3:57 PM
Copper, I think you are going to LOVE Mists of Avalon. It's right down your avenue.

pcdiva
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 06/22/06 11:47 PM
Marion Zimmer Bradley's books just rock. She was one special lady, and the world lost a great author and editor when she died. Be warned that it has taken some people longer to read Mists of Avalon than it took her to write it. Enjoy the journey, Copper!

Today I finished Definitely Dead by Charlene Harris (fun!) and Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey and browsed through the Complete Cat Book from Cat Fancy to get ideas on car travel with my cats.

Alice

unalaskawoman
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 1:23 AM
Just picked up a few new ones from the library...started "Possible Side Effects" by Augusten Burroughs (he wrote "Running With Scissors")and it is very funny, also today started "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism" by Michelle Goldberg and it is excellent so far...coming up next are "The Position" by Meg Wolitzer, and "DIxieland Sushi" by Cara Lockwood

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 6:32 AM
Finished
Neanderthal by John Darton, The Rapture of Canaan by Sherie Reynolds and Blood Test by Jonathan Kellerman.

Going to re-read Follow Me Down by Shelby Foote and I bought a book, Savannah by John Jakes.

I'm also gathering books for my beach trip. Nothing heavy or long. Sue Monk Kidd ranks high on this list, The Mermaid Chair, The Secret Life of Bees (lovely book) Next is Sweetgrass by Mary Alice Monroe.

If anyone has any suggestions? Looking for Southern authors writing about the South, or Alabama in particular. And if it's fluff, all the better!

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 12:23 PM
Bhambabe,
Have you read Ellen Ghilchrist's short stories? She has several collections: Land of Dreamy Dreams, Victory over Japan, I Can't Get You Close Enough, Light Can Be Both Wave and Particle are a few good ones.
She also has written several novels, but I prefer the short stories.
She is a southern writer, from Jackson, the Delta and New Orleans. I think she is in Fayetteville, AR, now.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 12:25 PM
the terrorist by john updike

Copperhedzkettle
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 1:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Copper, I think you are going to LOVE Mists of Avalon. It's right down your avenue.

Pwingsx
My most favorite so far is 'Medicine Woman', 'the Prophetess', and 'Don Juan'........
should I be excited?????????

Yer Pal,
Copper

prisonchef
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 3:01 PM
mr. chips,
i assure you for those of us in the "back of the house" a dinner party is never a party to us

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 3:01 PM
Wow, Copper, I'm not sure. I just know how much I've loved reading Grail legends all my life, and seeing it through Morgan's eyes, and her Marian's superb viewpoint of the sacred feminine, it blew me away.

It's the only Zimmer Bradley book I've read.

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 06/23/06 3:03 PM
Bhambabe, if you're into the lighter stuff, I suggest you read Charlaine Harris's southern fried vampire novels. They are short, but very witty. Some of my favorites.

BhamBabe
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 06/24/06 12:05 AM
Thanks Pwingsx and mbrookes. I'll go read some reviews. Really looking forward to finding new authors to enjoy.

jinjo76
  • Total Posts : 204

Cheyenne
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/3/06 3:19 PM
Just finished "The Cell" by Stephen King and today started "The Great Deluge" by Douglas Brinkley about hurricane Katrina and "Philip and Elizabeth,Portrait of a Royal Marriage" by Gyles Brandreth. I am an avid reader and read very fast so it isn't unusual for me to have 2 or 3 books going at the same time.

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/3/06 3:20 PM
Bhambabe, you might also want to check out Mary Kay Andrews novels. A little romance, a lot of Southern atmosphere, lots of humor.

In the last week, I finished Two For the Road (yeah, Sterns!) and Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. Best line from Twelve Sharp: "If he'd stayed any longer the chocolate would have melted off the eclairs." (Those of you who have read Janet E. will know who's being talked about!)

Right now I'm reading The Whistling Season, by Ivan Doig. It's about a family and the one-room school the children attend on the Montana prairie in 1910

HankNBugsy
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/3/06 6:48 PM
Four day rainy weekend for me, so I've been through Trojan Odyssey (Clive Cussler, The Lake House (James Patterson), and The Book of the Dead (Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child). Once of my favorites is Cabinet of Curiosities (also Preston & Child. I have to sheepishly admit I hadn't read any Clive Cussler until this year after I watched Sahara on DVD. And for those of you who like WEB Griffin, you might also try J C Pollock. He's not as prolific, but he's former Special Forces and is not only good, but also accurate (for the nitpickers out there ) He and my ex-fiance were in the same unit.

xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/3/06 6:52 PM
still reading mayflower, robert sullivan's cross country isnext.

HankNBugsy
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/3/06 7:14 PM
I also agree with 4fish on Mary Kay Andrews, she's terrific. And add Johanna Edwards to that list too.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 07/4/06 12:29 AM
My personal favorite southern writer is Jill McCorkle, particularly her short story collection CRASH DIET and her novels THE CHEER LEADER, FERRIS BEACH and CAROLINA MOON. Her books tend to be set in a fictionalized version of her hometown, Lumberton, NC, and she's one of the only writers I've read who gets all the small details of contemporary southern suburban life exactly right.

Current read is David Mitchell's new one, BLACK SWAN GREEN.

Fieldthistle
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 07/4/06 4:39 PM
Hello All,
Last week I felt the need to re-read my Complete Sherlock Holmes book.
Then today, a close friend lent me "Mayflower."
I am in reading heaven.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 07/4/06 5:58 PM
Fieldthistle.
mayflower is an interesting read, but i had to put it down for a day or two . the pilgrims and the puritians were beginning to confuse me. put all that you've learned aside and read with an open mind.

take care,

dayle

Fieldthistle
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 07/5/06 9:57 AM
Hello All,
Zannie01, from what I recall the pilgrims were Separatist, who left England and went to Holland for religious freedom. They had fellow Separtist still in England. Some returned to England, and with others who were not Separatist, set sail and founded Plymouth Colony. I believe the Separatist did not consider themselves a part of the Church of England.
The Puritians were those conversative Anglicans who wished to purify the Church of England. They were akin to a sect within the Church of England, growing in numbers and eventually taking power during the English Civil War under Oliver Cromwell. The puritians founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
So the pilgrims were not puritians. New England history is so rich and multi-textured. I think I'll love
"Mayflower."
Perhaps Michael can enlighten us better as he was born in that region.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1912
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 07/5/06 12:18 PM
The last book I finished was Commanche by T.R. Fehrenbach (I may have the spellings wrong). It was a little bit of a hard read. I bought it sight unseen, on ebay, because the author is on of my favorites. I am now reading the best seller, "Medal of Honor", that I got for Fathers Day. It is, IMO, an easy book to put down. I'll finish it, but I don't know when. My favorite potboiler authors are Turtledove, and W.E.B Griffin, but they, like Fehrenbach, IMO, are not doing the work that they did earlier in their careers.

xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 07/5/06 12:51 PM
Fieldthistle,

i'm sure i'd appreciate the book more if i didn't have the drone of a baseball game as constant backround noise.at least it was the red sox.

dayle

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 07/5/06 2:51 PM
Hi,
I am getting deeper into the Bible. Also opened up a Pandora's box on Masonic literature.

BhamBabe
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/6/06 4:15 PM
Thanks for all the author recommendations! I now have enough to keep me busy for some time to come.

acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/6/06 10:33 PM
So many books.. so little time...

pcdiva
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/6/06 10:51 PM
I'm with you acornlover!

Just finished Getting Through What You're Going Through by the younger Robert Schuller. Also Elizabeth Moon's Heris Serano books. Who would have thought to combine space wars with fox hunting???
I could probably come to this thread every day with a new book that I have finished or am reading. It fills the hours not spent looking for a new job quite nicely. And it beats the heck out of packing!

Alice

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/7/06 1:39 AM
I'm gonna flip a coin as to whether I read BlackWind by Cussler or Gallows Thief by Cornwell next.

it's in the air and twirling....

Heads! Gallows Thief wins!!!

Sorry Clive.

MikeS.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/7/06 3:27 PM
Scary...

My oldest daughter is reading War and Peace by Tolstoy as "light" beach reading.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/7/06 4:20 PM
Yep, real skerrry V960!

I'm reading;

The Making of a Poker Player, How an Ivy league Math Guy Learned to Play Championship poker by Matt Matros. Benzee and I have played with him. Good book! Nice Guy!
Joe

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/8/06 3:11 AM
Well, I just got Tio Pepe and Suds in your Eye, --both by Mary Lasswell.
IF I ever find time for myself, I will start reading them.
Mary Lasswell purchases has been based on recommendations by fellow RF'er's, and I did try to get the whole series of the Suds in your eye books, but was outbid on them when I purshased them on Ebay.
I will try again...

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/8/06 2:28 PM
Keep trying, I'm sure you can find them all eventually.

And then you can let me borrow them!

xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/8/06 3:08 PM
i got suds in your eye at the library
neener neener neener

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/10/06 1:04 AM
Silly ole xannie. I STOLE mine from the library.

(Ok, I am soooo kidding.)

Suds is the only one I actually own.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 07/10/06 12:37 PM
In order to take a break from reading The Kennedy Men, last week I bought The Devil in The White City by Erik Larson. If you are a fan of both history and true crime novels, Larson's well-written book would probably interest you. It details the work of the chief architect of Chicago's Columbian Exposition, and juxtaposes his life and work against those of Dr. Holmes, one of the worst serial killers in US history. Holmes operated in Chicago, and used the popularity of the Exposition to help him to find his scores of victims.

While Larson's writing is not without fault (he uses the phrase "try and (sic) convince him"), overall it is a good read, and is the type of book that draws you in. By contrast, the Kennedy book is somewhat ponderous. While I enjoy learning about the lives of Joe Sr. and his sons, and while the family's virulent Anti-Semitism was a revelation, the amount of detail does not make for an easy read. Only my desire to learn more about this very powerful family will make me return to the book, after I finish Larson's book and perhaps a few others.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 7:52 AM
One of my all time favoritest reads was Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, who's a former English professor and part Osage. The gist was, after losing his job, he packed the van and took a road trip. The title was derived from his habit of avoiding the main roads, which were red on his maps, and taking the blue highways.

I even enjoyed this book while underlining some of the bigger words to look up later in the day.

Now, I'm plodding through his book River-Horse A Voyage Across America.

I'd like to get a copy of Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I started years ago, but misplaced.

I have a stack of stuff I need to hit, mostly biographiss and history stuff. I like to tell people the last fiction I ever read was Governor Bill Clinton and Senator Al Gore's Putting People First.

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 10:56 AM
I'm re-reading Standing Under the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Anyone else read and enjoyed her books as much as I have? They're just so cheerful.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 1:17 PM
As summer mental bubble gum I have begun to reread The Brotherhood of War seven or eight book set by W.E.B. Griffin.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 2:30 PM
quote:

I'm re-reading Standing Under the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Anyone else read and enjoyed her books as much as I have? They're just so cheerful.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe is one of my alltime favorite books. I'll check out the one you're reading too now.

xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 2:33 PM
if you want cheerful, read the mitford books by jan karon.

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 07/13/06 7:01 PM
Ed, check out Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man, and Welcome to the World, Baby Girl. I think those pretty much make up all her books.

Haven't heard of the Mitford books, but I'll check them out.

pcdiva
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/14/06 6:50 AM
Jan Karon has finished her Mitford series, but has promised to start a new one. My Mom just loves them. I just finished the new Laurell K. Hamilton book Danse Macabre I know I didn't like it as well as some of the others in the Vampire Hunter series, but it was interesting seeing into everyone's minds. I hope the next one has some detective stuff in it.

I've enjoyed the Fannie Flagg books I've read, but then, I like Southern women writers. One good thing about packing up my stuff to move is I should find all of my Sweet Potato Queens books and my Miss Julia books. I can always get a good laugh from the SPQs when I need it! God Bless Southern Women! (and Roadfooders!)

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/14/06 12:25 PM
I'll check those out, Pwingsx. Right now I'm in the middle of Havans, by Stephen Hunter. Not sure what I'm reading next------tomorrow is a trip to Bart's Books in Ojai.

lunasatic
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/14/06 3:54 PM
Try Robert Baer's "See No Evil" and "Sleeping With the Devil". Real-life thriller/horror, if his facts can be trusted!

MikeS.
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 1:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by V960

As summer mental bubble gum I have begun to reread The Brotherhood of War seven or eight book set by W.E.B. Griffin.

I really enjoyed Griffin's stuff, this series too. Although he tends to only show one or a certain side of military life.

MikeS.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 2:15 AM
Just finished "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch its about the CSI training school and body farm they run outside of Memphis, TN. Fascinating stuff and debunks a lot of the glamour that is shown on the TV show. Still love Gil Grissom and the team though. Also completed "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell. She took a variety of trips to presidential assassination sites and those of the assassins. Quirky sense of humor and wit about events leading up to the assassinations and backgrounds of the presidents and the assassins. A good read.

Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 2:57 AM
Billy, that "Assassination Vacation" sounds fascinating.

I'd never heard of Sarah Vowell until tonight, when my sister had me watch an HBO special with Robert Wuhl, called "Assume the Position" on history as pop culture. So I come home, and what do you know, here you are, mentioning her. I think I will definitely have to check out that book now.

unalaskawoman
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 3:41 AM
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism

The Little Friend by Donna Tratt

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 6:35 PM
quote:

Billy, that "Assassination Vacation" sounds fascinating.

I'd never heard of Sarah Vowell until tonight, when my sister had me watch an HBO special with Robert Wuhl, called "Assume the Position" on history as pop culture. So I come home, and what do you know, here you are, mentioning her. I think I will definitely have to check out that book now.

If you saw THE INCREDIBLES, you're already familiar with Sarah Vowell, or at least her voice: she plays Violet, the teenage daughter.

If you like ASSASSINATION VACATION, try her earlier books THE PARTLY CLOUDY PATRIOT, TAKE THE CANNOLI and RADIO ON.

I just finished THE BIG U by Neal Stephenson (amusing because it's based on Warren Towers, the largest -- and ugliest -- college dorm in the country, which is just a few T stops down the Green Line from me. Started A BIG STORM KNOCKED IT OVER by Laurie Colwin this morning.

I also read TWO FOR THE ROAD in about two hours total earlier this week. I strongly recommend making the whipping cream pound cake in the last chapter, incidentally. Best pound cake I've ever made.

MikeS.
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/15/06 11:55 PM
I'm back into Bernard Cromwell and his Redcoat. Am American revolution story told by a Redcoat's side of the war.

MikeS.

billyboy
RE: What are you reading? - Sun, 07/16/06 1:05 AM
Working on "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. Also just finished Heat by Bill Buford. A work about being a kitchen slave at Mario Batali's restaurant, Babbo. I highly recommend "The Reach of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman. He's an excellent food writer and the book covers artisan cooks, Emeril and Rachael, Tony B, and what it means to be a chef today. An excellent book for anyone thinking of becoming a chef. "Two For the Road" made me soooo hungry! An amazing read, Michael and Jane!

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/22/06 8:50 AM
Just finished Blue Monday, a pretty interesting biography of Fats Domino. Tells you something about how the Ninth Ward in NOLA used to be. I'm about halfway through The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. On deck is Why We Get Sick by Randolph Nesse, MD and George Williams, PhD, about "the new science of Darwinian Medicine". I'm on the waiting list at our library for Water for Elephants.

Has anyone else read The Secret Life of Bees or Water for Elephants? Opinions?

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/22/06 9:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,

My favorite bathroom books are Robert Frost's poetry and "The Groucho
Letters" a collection of letters written to and from Groucho Marx.

Hello, Fieldthistle,

Since you mentioned it, I've been trying to locate The Groucho Letters because I loved Groucho so much when I was a child. What a remarkably witty man. Our library doesn't have it so I guess I'll have to order it from Amazon.

Another good bathroom read is The Last Word, subtitled "A Celebration of Unusual Lives". It is a compilation of New York Times obituaries of various folks, some famous; many others, not. Each obituary is a well-written short story. The "famous" include Bill Monroe, Willie Dixon, Grey Panther Maggie Kuhn, and actor Jack Weston.
The less well-known but interesting include Anne Schreiber who lived modestly, worked at the IRS most of her adult life, quietly invested her savings, leaving $22 million to Yeshiva University at her death; and Benny Ong, the leader of the most powerful organized-crime gang in Chinatown. I highly recommend it.

Sandy

BhamBabe
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/22/06 3:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Has anyone else read The Secret Life of Bees Opinions?

Quite easily one of my favorite books. The story is real without being too mushy, interesting to the point of distraction and reminds me of my childhood in some respects. Look for the deeper meanings.

All of Sue Monk Kidds books are good. I highly recommend them.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 07/28/06 12:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy ThruthegardenAnother good bathroom read is The Last Word, subtitled "A Celebration of Unusual Lives". It is a compilation of New York Times obituaries of various folks, some famous; many others, not. Each obituary is a well-written short story. The "famous" include Bill Monroe, Willie Dixon, Grey Panther Maggie Kuhn, and actor Jack Weston.
The less well-known but interesting include Anne Schreiber who lived modestly, worked at the IRS most of her adult life, quietly invested her savings, leaving $22 million to Yeshiva University at her death; and Benny Ong, the leader of the most powerful organized-crime gang in Chinatown. I highly recommend it.

You sound like a candidate for one of my all time coffee table books. Obviously, Kramer on Seinfeld made the optimum one, but Wendy Northcutt wrote The Darwin Awards . It, in the words of the dust jacket, "Honor those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it." and tells how some people, usually through abject stupidity, wind up killing or injuring themselves. The only bad part is that sometimes it deals with people who injure other people, but is pretty funny if you like that sort of humor.

There's a web site: http://www.darwinawards.com

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/29/06 10:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

You sound like a candidate for one of my all time coffee table books. Obviously, Kramer on Seinfeld made the optimum one, but Wendy Northcutt wrote The Darwin Awards . It, in the words of the dust jacket, "Honor those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it." and tells how some people, usually through abject stupidity, wind up killing or injuring themselves. The only bad part is that sometimes it deals with people who injure other people, but is pretty funny if you like that sort of humor.

There's a web site: http://www.darwinawards.com

Yep. I love the Darwin Awards and visit that site from time to time. We live in Kentucky where future award winners frequently start their
award-winning performance with the phrase: "Here, hold my beer while I...."

billyboy
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 07/29/06 1:04 PM
Sandy, I just LMAO checking out the "award phrase". I have a couple of the Darwin books at home and their never fail to make me laugh!

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 25, messages 61 to 120 of 1470