Hot!What are you reading?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 51
Author
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 10:14:51 (permalink)
Just finished The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, like it alot, but was kind of dissapointed by the ending...
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 10:53:20 (permalink)
Sundancer, have you read anything by Cormac Maccarthy? His novel Suttree is set in Knoxville. I almost came down a couple years ago for the "Suttree Stagger" a pub crawl, tour of locations from the book. Too busy at the time, and I don't think they've done it in a couple years.

Anyway, highly recommended along with all of his other books, except his most recent No Country for Old Men. Potboiler crap. Obviously looking to sell to Hollywood.

Vayo con Queso
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/16 19:02:11 (permalink)
Let's see where to begin... Exile's Song, The Shadow Matrix, and Traitor's Sun by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Glenraven by MZB and Holly Lisle, Joust by Mercedes Lackey, and I think that's it for the past couple of days. Since I got fired a week ago, I have a lot of time to reread some of my favorites. Anxiously waiting for the next shipment from Science Fiction Book Club and am headed to the Library tomorrow for some Lois McMaster Bujold. Maybe some new cookbooks as well.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/16 19:38:43 (permalink)
The Art of War by Sun Tzu is a constant read. I really read it over and over again. The Book of Five Rings should be considered a companion book.

Mao's Little Red Book.

Machiavelli's The Prince

Shogun by James Clavell is my beach novel.

I still struggle w/ War and Peace...what a PIA it is.

And my fav the Bible, I read it every day.

Now how odd does that make me? I read Clancey, King and Crighton but my favs are a 3,000 year old book of tactics, a seventy year old version of the same w/ political ideas...The Prince deserves its own catagory and the story (a skeptic to the end am I) of our Lord and his followers.

Whatever...I'm going to go put up the chickens. I'll visit w/ our new chicks and take wonder at the mircle of life. Seven little chicks popped out of their shells and only five are left. Cutest little things, they have feathers all down their feet. They're about six to eight inches tall now.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/16 20:22:41 (permalink)
I just finished "My Friend Leonard" ... the guy can sure write.

Next up: "Running With Sissors."

I will read anything by Ann Rule.

BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/16 23:34:42 (permalink)
I read more than one book at a time. Different rooms hold different books.

Right now it's

Neanderthal by John Darton
The Return to Zion by Bodie Thoene
The Rapture of Canaan by Sherie Reynolds (strange book)
And Blood Test by Jonathan Kellerman, my favorite author at the moment

Just finished

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln

Not really into pseudo, debunking theories, religious based books for the simple fact that I'm Jewish, they were part of a book club reading. They were alright, nothing to shout about and a lot didn't make sense to me seeing as how I never studied Jesus Christ and all. I did learn some things though. I kept having to go look up things I didn't know on the computer.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3619
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 00:35:16 (permalink)
I finally broke down and did it... The entire Harry Potter series came UPS today. I shall start in the morning.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 01:20:40 (permalink)

No foolin'! How cool. Just can't keep a good goober down.

I agree with you on the early Tom Clancy's. They were great. I'm not sure where he lost me with diatribe. Somewhere around "Clear and Present Danger". He seemed to get obsessed with dry complications. I found myself swimming in paragraphs not knowing where I was. I understand his last was rather good. Anybody have a critique?

Clancy's last one? As far as I know thats the one where President Ryan's son is now involved in the espionage game as a covert operative? If so, it was decent. Better then his spin-offs with his name on the cover but written by other people. Tom Clancy's Whatever written by John Smith. Those are just junk, something I read when I don't find something good to read.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 01:44:16 (permalink)
Clancy wrote some really good stuff, Hunt for Red October got him an audience with President Regan. Then he started going downhill. Now he has a series or three with his name on them but written by other folks.

The King, Stephen that is, has really gone downhill in my opinion. One of my all-time favorites is Firestarter. I could not put that book down. Read it all in one night. Got about 2 hours of sleep before work. I used to rush out and buy his newest hardcover. Now I don't even buy it in paperback all the time. Still have to say that at least 2 of his are in my top five. Firestarter and The Stand for sure. It would probably be a 3rd.

Robert Ludlum wrote some good stuff although now that he is deceased his estate and publisher are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. They are now putting out Robert Ludlum(tm) books that are written by others but with his name in bold red letters in the title. Making you think he wrote it. I won't buy another of these. The deception goes so far as to have THE #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR ROBERT LUDLUM(tm) on it. They then put a very small disclaimer just before the first page of the book.

Dan and Dale Brown have written some good stuff, I like most anything with action. I prefer Dale to Dan though.

Dean Koontz has written some good stuff. Although I think he has suffered some like King. Right now I'm reading his Odd Thomas. Odd is actually the guys first name. One of the things I always liked about Koontz is that he puts his character(s) in So Cal, an area I'm somewhat familiar with. Although he came up with a phony county in Calif. and I have no idea why he did that. He usually writes about real places.

Mike who loves to eat and read S.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7316
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 01:48:44 (permalink)
I had to put Julia Child down this afternoon because Zman sent me this extremely exciting book about.......ready?.......SOUTH DAKOTA. Isn't the state bird the mosquito and the state tree the telephone pole? Just kidding. VERY interesting historical reading about Custer, Lewis and Clark trail through there, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickock and a bunch of others. I would love to visit the Bandlands!
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 05:21:31 (permalink)
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult really enjoying it

Just finished - all good, mostly light/semi-light "contemporary" novels & recommended:
Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews very light Southern fiction
Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalain
Half Broken by Morag Joss (different, enjoyed it)
Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalain
Chore Whore: Adventures of A Celebrity Personal Assistant (sort of funny)
All OVer Creation by Ruth Ozeki (loved it)
Autobiography of a Fat Bride by Laurie Notaro (funny)
Marley & Me by can't remember (good esp. for dog lovers)

Up next - stacked up on my night stand:
The Best Awful by Carrie Fisher
Love Creeps by Amanda Filipacchi
Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

Ahhh...love having a stack of books ready to go...

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6412
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/17 10:27:58 (permalink)
Up next, HOME FRONT by Chuck Logan. It just came out in paperback.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 01:31:42 (permalink)
I finished Odd Thomas by Koontz and have now started "by the Light of the Moon" also by him. I like his stories but he sure uses a lot of pretty useless verbage. Its almost like he's getting paid by the word.

I picked up 4 of his book a couple weeks ago from Costco for about 4.5 bucks each. I sure hate to pay full price for a book or anything else for that matter...

MikeS.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 07:51:55 (permalink)
I'm reading THE WEDDING by Nicholas Sparks.. it's an awesome story (sequel to THE NOTEBOOK)

and now that i'm out of school for the summer - i'll hopefully have more time to read and catch up on the stack of books that i have waiting... haha... without lesson planning to do i should be able to get at least one or two done over the summer....

ENJOY and happy reading!!
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 09:29:29 (permalink)
I'm reading "The Business of Hot Dog Carts, Stick set ups & Concession Trailers" written by fellow Roadfooder Cowboy Bob...
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 10:41:54 (permalink)
Anybody read any James Joyce?
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 11:33:07 (permalink)
Hello All,
This is an everchanging thread since it says, "currently reading."
I'm reading "The Worldly Philosophers" by Robert L. Heilbroner, a
book about economic thinkers, almost a history as well as economic primer.
My favorite bathroom books are Robert Frost's poetry and "The Groucho
Letters" a collection of letters written to and from Groucho Marx. His
letters are a delight.
Who knows what wonderful worlds await in future books.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
P.S. V960, keep with "War and Peace." Tolstoy has always been one of my favorite authors. Back in the seventies, BBC did a series on W&P, which Masterpiece Theater picked up. I started watching the series, which lead me to get the book. I read the book with the series which made it much easier for me. After that, I read everything Tolstoy wrote. An amazing man.
And like you, I love the Bible. What is gratifying to me is that my daughter and I do Bible study through e-mail while she is at college.
Now, she's home for the summer, we do it once a week at the kitchen table over home-made pizza. We just finish "Daniel," and I'm hoping we do "Ecclesiastes" next.
4fish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/19 16:17:51 (permalink)
I finished "My Life in France" a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it enormously. I kept imagining Julia's distinctive voice as I read.

pcdiva, I love Lois McMaster Bujold. I discovered her about two years ago and had great fun for about six weeks reading through her entire backfile. Now if only she'd write another Miles Vorkosigan story!

felix4067, have a great time. Why should Harry Potter be only for kids? They're enormously fun to read.

Right now I'm reading S.M. Stirling, who writes alternate history. He generally uses some huge disaster and or unexplained event to turn the world upside down and then explore how it affects people. My favorite so far is "Dies the Fire".
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 00:15:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Just started Kingfish "The Reign of Huey P. Long" by Richard D. White, Jr. Obviously, it's about the notorious former governor of Louisiana who went out with a bang. I love a good biography. Just finished The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion about her experience of dealing with the sudden death of her husband of 40 years. I know that sounds like a real downer but it is the most powerful and sensitive account of grieving I've ever read, including psychological studies on grief and all the self-help books.
I've just finished Ms. Didion's book. it is powerful, gut wrenching aand one of the most honest books about grief I have ever read
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 03:58:27 (permalink)
I just finished "by the Light of the Moon" by Koontz. It turned out to be a pretty good read and i particularly liked the ending. The bad guy really got his in the end :)

Now for Velocity by Koontz.

MikeS.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 12:25:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WVHillbilly

Anybody read any James Joyce?

In college, I had to read a couple of his works, and I recall being not overly fond of them. Perhaps if I re-read them at this point, I would like them better, but with so many other authors to read, I am not sure that I would return to the works of someone whose writing I did not enjoy in the first place. Portrait Of The Artist As a Young Man (that was by Joyce, wasn't it?) was not a good read, at least when I was 19 years old.
apronstrings
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 13:33:54 (permalink)
To VH--- I read Ulyses, and Portrait ... My favorite is THE DUBLINERS, a little gem of a short story. Great and richly drawn characters. Loved it.
apronstrings
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 13:38:12 (permalink)
I mean, Ulysses.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 14:02:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

Clancy's last one? As far as I know thats the one where President Ryan's son is now involved in the espionage game as a covert operative? If so, it was decent. Better then his spin-offs with his name on the cover but written by other people. Tom Clancy's Whatever written by John Smith. Those are just junk, something I read when I don't find something good to read.

MikeS.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping it would be sans Ryan and that vein. I'd like to read something by him in the style of "Cardinal in the Kremlin". I just read "Edge of Battle" by Dale Brown. It's suprisingly current in regards to the immigration and other issues. He has been compared to Clancy, Stephen Coonts and and Larry Bond but I'm not sure I totally agree. His plausibility factor is a lot lower and the dialogue didn't get it done for me. I'm going to try a another, maybe it was just me. It is fiction I after all I keep tellin' myself.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 14:17:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

I'm reading THE WEDDING by Nicholas Sparks.. it's an awesome story (sequel to THE NOTEBOOK)

The Notebook was a wonderful read! I cried and laughed out loud. Will have to get The Wedding.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 15:30:23 (permalink)
it's a very good story... although i didn't READ the NOTEBOOK i did watch the movie- i know i know-- movies and books are very different-- BUT i can only imagine by the way i loved the movie that i'd love the book too. that was definitely - for me anyway- the ultimate love story and a story of a heart that just wouldn't give up and was willing to wait...THE WEDDING is another great one- laughter and tears abound....

Can't wait to read more of his stuff.. he's an awesome writer (and also Notre Dame alum too!!! :)

~~jerseygirl127~~
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/20 18:59:44 (permalink)
Currently re-reading

When Rabbit Howls by The Troops for Trudi Chase

and

The Wilder Sisters by Joanne Mapson
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/21 17:21:12 (permalink)
I just finished the third "Ya-Ya" book, Ya-Ya's in Bloom. Now I've started Da Vinci Code. I keep Eats Shoots and Leaves around to just pick up for a few pages. I also read cookbooks like most people read novels.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/21 18:38:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden
Just finished The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion about her experience of dealing with the sudden death of her husband of 40 years. I know that sounds like a real downer but it is the most powerful and sensitive account of grieving I've ever read, including psychological studies on grief and all the self-help books.
I've just finished Ms. Didion's book. it is powerful, gut wrenching aand one of the most honest books about grief I have ever read

Thanks for your thoughts, Mr. C. The book really affected me. I appreciated the way Didion described the commonplace insanity of grieving. Even her writing style telegraphs her initial numbness, fragility and logical illogic. I borrowed it from the library but I think it's a keeper, so I'll probably buy it.
prisonchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/21 19:53:30 (permalink)
my current read is "salt" good book on the geo-politics of this commodity and explains why the basques are still upset.
i also review once a month "on food and cooking" just to remind me why.
i also find che's book on guerilla warfare a great referennce for pro chefs as is mao's little red book

and anything written by tony bourdain is a fun read.
jack
ps. before any vets get mad. i am one also. so keep the commie thoughts to yourself. these are great books for building a cohesive kitchen and instilling personal responsibility into your cooks.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1