Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 26
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/19 23:10:42
Loved Cross My Heart-very different ending.....
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/20 00:00:37
ann peeples

Loved Cross My Heart-very different ending.....

What ending???That was not an ending....To Be Continued!!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/20 00:02:51
By the way, I'm up to Roses Are Red in my Alex Cross marathon..one book better than the last....I'm reading so fast...almost a book a day...these are good, yet quick reads!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/20 11:55:14
I'm re-reading The Emperor's General by James Webb.
simonaannie
Junior Burger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/28 01:55:34
I am reading  <Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era> By James M. McPherson in my sunshine journey.

----------------------------------------------------
toyswill.com
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/28 10:30:57
Buffalo Tarheel

"Affairs of Steak" by Julie Hyzy, the fifth (out of seven) in the White House chef mystery series.  Very interesting stories with some meal preparation details thrown in.  It is a cozy mystery, so not filled with blood, guts, and profanity - but people do get killed.

After we discussed cozies, just out of curiosity I tried a food related "cozy" mystery. It was A Slice of Murder by Chris Cavender. It was about a widow who owned a pizzeria in a small North Carolina town. Of course there was a murder she was initially suspected of that got her into sleuthing to clear her name. At the end of the book there was a pizza recipe. There are six pizza cozies in the series total I know of. This one was the introductory book to the series. It looks like a setup book for a continuing group of town characters including the chief of police of course and I would guess she would be at loggerheads with him.

Cozies are not exactly my style but I just went searching for pizza mysteries and came up with this one. When I buy books for the iPad from iTunes they are shared with my wife on her iPad. It might be a little more her style.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/28 15:53:13
Just started HAVISHAM, a newly written prequel to Great Expectations. I'm looking forward to the new W.E.B. Griffen novel that just came out, and already a best seller.

Update.. I took HAVISHAM back to the library after 75 pages. When I got there, they had the new Griffen book on the shelf which I note has dropped 2 places, to 5 on the best seller list. His books still make the list, but it has been a long time since he had a #1, or stayed on the list for many weeks. I understand that he is still our most prolific living author, (under many names) though.

Another update.....the Griffen book was a bit different, and written in a different style than previous books in the series. I suspected more work by the co author son, but a post script set things straight. He had a hard time finishing the book, and so used the comedic style of his earlier M*A*S*H books. I'm not sure that I liked it, but I did read the book in 2 sittings....... I do wish that he would finish The Corps series........it has been at least 10 years since he left his readers in the middle of the Korean War. His series on the US Army did get finished, and reads as well today as when it came out.
post edited by tmiles - 2014/02/02 11:08:04
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/28 16:06:18
Just finished:"Shell Shocked - My life with the Turtles, Frank Zappa, Flo & Eddie, Etc." by Howard Kaylan. A Christmas gift from my wife, an easy read - sex, drugs and rock & roll!
RE: What are you reading? 2014/01/29 12:57:12
Killing Jesus, Bill O'Reilly...Interesting read, unreal how much war went on everywhere, back then. King Herod was a neat guy, not, with Gangrene of the testicles and scrotum, gout, worms, and other maladies, he killed a whole bunch of people in many nasty ways, molten gold poured down your throat, anyone?
love2bake
Re:What are you reading? 2014/01/29 13:26:42
Sundancer7

I am reading the Ken Follett trilogy which obviously is a three book series.  The first is "Fall of the Giants".  I have order the others from Amazon which arrived today.  It starts around 1911.  Very interesting if you like ken Follette.  I enjoyed the "Eye of the needle"  Fantastic and was later made into a movie.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I'm halfway through Eye of the Needle--my first Ken Follett book.
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/05 16:33:17
I'm about 1/2 way through EXTORTION by Peter Scweizer. "How politicians extract your money, buy votes, and line their own pockets" Disgusting, and each party is as bad as the other. The book is about 20% footnotes, and is a best seller. I wonder if anything will change??

So far the author has shown a lot of bad, but offered few solutions.
love2bake
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/05 17:05:55
tmiles - that sounds like a book I'd want to throw across the room the more I read it! " />

Eye of the Needle was hard to put down towards the end!  Quite the page-turner.  I'm now reading A Time to Kill--John Grisham's first book (but definitely not my first of his).
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2014/02/05 20:13:24
chewingthefat

Killing Jesus, Bill O'Reilly...Interesting read, unreal how much war went on everywhere, back then. King Herod was a neat guy, not, with Gangrene of the testicles and scrotum, gout, worms, and other maladies, he killed a whole bunch of people in many nasty ways, molten gold poured down your throat, anyone?

I just finished reading Killing Jesus and may read another recent best seller, Zealot: The LIfe and Times of Jesus of Nazereth by Reza Asian. It is interesting how the life of Jesus was put together with little contemporary direct reference and the New Testament writings that were actually secondary hearsay from passed down oral accounts. The most interesting reference in the back of the Killing Jesus book was The Joy of Sexus by Vicki Leon. I think that is where the references to the sexual decadence of the Romans came from.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/02/05 20:27:23
"The Long War" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Sequel to their book, "The Long Earth". Pretty good book with interesting characters.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/06 07:38:20
love2bake

tmiles - that sounds like a book I'd want to throw across the room the more I read it! " />

Eye of the Needle was hard to put down towards the end!  Quite the page-turner.  I'm now reading A Time to Kill--John Grisham's first book (but definitely not my first of his).
That's a tough read because of the tragic subject matter, but still very good. The movie was also tough to watch. Check out A Painted House (really different than standard Grisham) and The Racketeer....just finished it...lots of twists and turns and great.

post edited by Pancho - 2014/02/06 08:50:40
pnwchef
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/06 08:35:47
L2B, I liked Eye Of The Needle too, try Hornet Flight by Ken Follett, you may like that one also........

Just got done with Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, not a bad read. I liked Gone Girl much more.

I'm reading Lisa Gardner's Fear Nothing: A Detective D.D. Warren Book...........
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/06 11:02:56
I'm reading Iditarod Alaska Life of a Long Distance Sled Dog Musher by Burt Bomhoff.  The race starts March 2.
love2bake
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/06 19:15:16
Pancho--yes, it IS tough!  I wasn't sure I'd even continue with it, but I like John Grisham, so am giving it a go.  I've read A Painted House and about half a dozen others, but not the Racketeer.  I'll put it on my list!

Pnw - I'll make a note of Hornet Flight, too.  Thanks!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/06 19:33:53
Finally plodded to finish Amy Tan's new book....should have been called Valley of the Losers.  Wonders why it tok her so long to write it.
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 14:03:57
DUTY by Robert M. Gates....."MEMOIRS OF A SECRETARY AT WAR". I had been boycotting the book, thinking that it was disloyal to publish so soon, but it is a #1, and on the shelf at the library so I'm reading it. After about 75 pages, it is not a page turner, but I expect that it will be a standard reference for years to come.  I had not realized that he was a former president of Texas A&M, a former USAF officer,  and a Ph.D. from Georgetown.
post edited by tmiles - 2014/02/24 14:05:46
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 14:09:26
Just finished "Meddlers in Time" by Wayne Watson. Interesting premise----time travelers go back to 8th Century England to bring more advanced technology to it----better iron forges, chimneys, graded roads, sanitation and hygiene,----nothing too far out that they can't duplicate, but enough to give them a big boost towards much earlier industrialization. Interesting read!
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 15:00:51
EdSails

Just finished "Meddlers in Time" by Wayne Watson. Interesting premise----time travelers go back to 8th Century England to bring more advanced technology to it----better iron forges, chimneys, graded roads, sanitation and hygiene,----nothing too far out that they can't duplicate, but enough to give them a big boost towards much earlier industrialization. Interesting read!

Actually, didn't Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee do that same thing a couple centuries before that, in King Arthur's Court?  "The Boss" really helped them out, with not only advanced knowledge, but good old Yankee common sense.

Can't recall the dates, though...too bad there's no one around from Connecticut today that might remember....

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 15:20:49
easydoesit

EdSails

Actually, didn't Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee do that same thing a couple centuries before that, in King Arthur's Court?  "The Boss" really helped them out, with not only advanced knowledge, but good old Yankee common sense.

Can't recall the dates, though...too bad there's no one around from Connecticut today that might remember....

The big difference is that "CT Yankee" went back accidentally, while the people in "Meddlers" planned on the trip and implemented it in order to consciously change history and help bring up the level of living and survival for the folk, as well as giving them technology that they could duplicate so they could make further improvements themselves. 

Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 17:29:21
James Patterson's LA Private, so far, 50 pages, so good!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 21:36:20
The Hidden Hand (1859) by E.D.E.N. Southworth.  It's an 1859 American magazine serial republished as a novel.  It's one of the very early examples of the genre when the idea of a mystery novel was still new and not quite formed in the manner we recognize a mystery today.  Still, elements of the form are in place here.

post edited by Louis - 2014/03/30 15:39:14
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/24 23:41:53
Read Pat Conroy's "Death of Santini"..great read......crazy family!.even crazier than mine!

Grisham's "Sycamore Row" was also a fun easy read
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/02/24 23:44:28
The Tyranny of Malice by Joseph H Berke       
post edited by Turtle66 - 2014/02/24 23:51:12
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2014/02/25 09:52:09
Just started Private L.A..... James Patterson.
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 10:54:14
FriedClamFanatic

Read Pat Conroy's "Death of Santini"..great read......crazy family!.even crazier than mine!

I didn't know that there was a follow on to Great Santini, a favorite book. I'll have to track it down. In that he died at the end of The Great Santini, is it just an expansion on the last part of the earlier book?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 12:24:37
I'm trying really hard to get into The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which I picked up based on a good friend's rave review. I'm about 75 pages in and it hasn't happened yet.
BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 18:32:51
I just started Alice Hoffman's The Museum of Extraordinary Things
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 22:22:39
tmiles

FriedClamFanatic

I didn't know that there was a follow on to Great Santini, a favorite book. I'll have to track it down. In that he died at the end of The Great Santini, is it just an expansion on the last part of the earlier book?

It is not a Follow-on, per se, but the true story of Conroy's life.  warning...for some, it can be a bit depressing
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 22:25:59
BelleReve

I just started Alice Hoffman's The Museum of Extraordinary Things

I'll be interested in your review.....saw it today(on line) and almost got it.

I did buy "Madam"......which is the story of Storyville
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 11:45:38
Just finished the newest (and last??) Tom Clancy book. I don't know if the co-author will carry on with the franchise, now that Mr Clancy has passed. Like most of his books, it is long, and a page turner. I did most of it in 2 sittings. Jack Ryan, and now Jack junior are interesting, and the subject of Ukraine is up to date. Now that the book has been out for a few months, and is a FORMER best seller, I was able to get it off the shelf at the library.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 13:09:23
I had to put the Zusak aside for a bit (it probably is good, but there are many, many distractions on my house that won't let me read long enough without interruption to get there), and instead moved on to The Forgotten by David Baldacci. Like all of his novels, the first few pages take a second to get into, then suddenly it's 4am and I haven't gotten to bed yet. I started it late Wednesday night and will finish it this afternoon.
BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 13:33:18
FriedClamFanatic -  what's that expression about like minds?... I haven't read anything by Alice Hoffman in years but the reviews of this new book drew me in, I'll be sure to tell you more about it when I get further along -
I'm not familiar with the Storyville book but sounds interesting - if you want a great read check into The Last Madam by Christine Wiltz - it's a non-fiction on the legendary Norma Wallace who was in business over 40 years, then retired and became a successful restauranteur.  I think she came on the scene after Storyville closed down, so that her house was off Bourbon St in the French Quarter.   
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 21:13:01
I'm deep into my James Patterson marathon these past three weeks....read so far all but 4 of the 20 Alex Cross books and all of Patterson's Michael Bennett series. Can't make up my mind which series I like better. They're fast reads...from the most popular writer of the last  three decades....And there are still several series I haven't touched yet!!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 23:52:54
One of the best things about James Patterson putting out so many books is discovering his co-authors' work. I have been less than impressed with Patterson, mostly because he churns out books faster than humanly possible...something which makes most people impressed by him, but makes me wonder how many he actually writes. I suspect he just slaps his name on it while the others do the work. His co-authors, on the other hand, have never disappointed me when I've read their novels.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/01 05:16:22
felix4067

One of the best things about James Patterson putting out so many books is discovering his co-authors' work. I have been less than impressed with Patterson, mostly because he churns out books faster than humanly possible...something which makes most people impressed by him, but makes me wonder how many he actually writes. I suspect he just slaps his name on it while the others do the work. His co-authors, on the other hand, have never disappointed me when I've read their novels.

Felix, I agree.  Patterson is using surrogate authors who will write in his style.  What surprises me is how he gets away with selling his readers all that blank paper they are paying big dollars for.  Interesting how those short little chapters so often end with just a few lines on the page, then empty space.  Gets the page count up there, but I feel ripped off.

BelleReve
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/03 17:03:40
Just finished the Museum of Extraordinary Things, which I enjoyed and would recommend, though it was tough getting through the first chapters - New York 1911 - oppressed factory and garment workers(mostly immigrants) , working 60-70 hr. work weeks for pennies a day, some historical fact, The Triangle Shirtwaist Co. fire tragedy. It lightens up as you get further into it. 

I'm starting Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd, who is a first time author for me.
FriedClamFanatic
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/03 23:08:06
Thanks Belle.wil add it to my Nook
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/04 00:27:25
BelleReve

Just finished the Museum of Extraordinary Things, which I enjoyed and would recommend, though it was tough getting through the first chapters - New York 1911 - oppressed factory and garment workers(mostly immigrants) , working 60-70 hr. work weeks for pennies a day, some historical fact, The Triangle Shirtwaist Co. fire tragedy. It lightens up as you get further into it. 

I'm starting Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd, who is a first time author for me.

Belle, 
You might enjoy Dreamland, by Kevin Baker. It covers the same period of time and locations, from the Triangle Co. to Dreamland amusement park in 1911. it's an excellent book. Characters are great, from a seamstress to a NY gangster to Freud. Check it out!
Ed
love2bake
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/04 00:49:09
felix4067

I had to put the Zusak aside for a bit (it probably is good, but there are many, many distractions on my house that won't let me read long enough without interruption to get there), and instead moved on to The Forgotten by David Baldacci. Like all of his novels, the first few pages take a second to get into, then suddenly it's 4am and I haven't gotten to bed yet. I started it late Wednesday night and will finish it this afternoon.

Hey--you gave that other book 75 pages, and it didn't give back.  Life's too short.  I've never read anything by David Baldacci, but he sounds a lot better than the other guy!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/04 08:56:13
love2bake

felix4067

Hey--you gave that other book 75 pages, and it didn't give back.  Life's too short.  I've never read anything by David Baldacci, but he sounds a lot better than the other guy!

True...but I hate stopping a book. I've only ever not finished one book in my entire life. After I finished the Baldacci I went on to Lords of Corruption by Kyle Mills. It's an interesting take on African charities and how easy it would be to run a corrupt one. Of course, it's also a really good, fast-paced story about travel and genocide and power struggles and organized crime, and it wouldn't let me put it down. This is the second of his books I've tried, and I like him a lot as well. But I'm now reading the Zusak, and I'm halfway through. It is actually pretty good, but not as good as my friend thought it was.
BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 11:56:17
EdSails - thanks for the tip on Dreamland - will give it a try 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 20:06:04
I found a book my  deceased wife library.  I picked it out and it was "The Caine Mutiny"  It was written in 1961 and was a New York Times best seller for close to a year.  I had never read it.  It was one of a about a 1000 books in the library.  I had never read it but I had known about it.  I picked it out and I have not been able to put it down.  It makes you hate Captain Queeg.  I read about a book a week and I can say this is one of the best I have ever read by Herman Woulk.  If you get a chance, perhaps you should check it out.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caine_Mutiny

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 22:22:51
Sundancer7

I found a book my  deceased wife library.  I picked it out and it was "The Caine Mutiny"  It was written in 1961 and was a New York Times best seller for close to a year.  I had never read it.  It was one of a about a 1000 books in the library.  I had never read it but I had known about it.  I picked it out and I have not been able to put it down.  It makes you hate Captain Queeg.  I read about a book a week and I can say this is one of the best I have ever read by Herman Woulk.  If you get a chance, perhaps you should check it out.  

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Yep...GREAT book....and one of the few that the movie follows closely and is also good!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 22:33:48
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It is awesome. After you are done reading it, rent the movie. Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg, Jose Ferrer, Van Johnson and Fred MacMurray. Certainly of of the best acted movies ever and pretty true to the book. I still get a lump when they start the "Caine Mutiny March".

post edited by EdSails - 2014/03/06 23:13:51
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 05:33:22
FCF and Ed Sails:  Thanks for the info and I will get the movie PDQ.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 07:29:59
Just finished this...a MUST for any animal lover and pet owner.
http://www.amazon.com/Uns...;qid=1394195205&sr
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 08:51:36
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Also Lee Marvin in a wonderful early role

[EDIT].after posting this, I did a Wiki search on the movie and found this little bit of trivia:

When Maurice Micklewhite first became an actor he adopted the stage name "Michael Scott". He was later told by his agent that another actor was already using the same name, and that he had to come up with a new one immediately. Speaking to his agent from a telephone box in Leicester Square in London, Micklewhite looked around for inspiration, noted that The Caine Mutiny was being shown at the Odeon Cinema, and adopted the name Michael Caine. Caine has often joked in interviews that, had he looked the other way, he would have ended up as "Michael One Hundred and One Dalmatians."[18]
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2014/03/07 10:24:54
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 09:07:28
FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I just ordered the movie from Amazon Prime and got it delivered next Tuesday for $8.97.  I did not know Lee Marvin was in it.  What a bonus and I am looking forward to watching the DVD after I read the book or finish it which will probably be tomorrow.  Triple outstanding book.  Thanks FCF and Ed Sails.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 11:11:12
FriedClamFanatic

When Maurice Micklewhite first became an actor he adopted the stage name "Michael Scott". He was later told by his agent that another actor was already using the same name, and that he had to come up with a new one immediately. Speaking to his agent from a telephone box in Leicester Square in London, Micklewhite looked around for inspiration, noted that The Caine Mutiny was being shown at the Odeon Cinema, and adopted the name Michael Caine. Caine has often joked in interviews that, had he looked the other way, he would have ended up as "Michael One Hundred and One Dalmatians."[18]

I did not know that. Great story, FriedClamFanatic!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 11:13:27
Sundancer7

FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I just ordered the movie from Amazon Prime and got it delivered next Tuesday for $8.97.  I did not know Lee Marvin was in it.  What a bonus and I am looking forward to watching the DVD after I read the book or finish it which will probably be tomorrow.  Triple outstanding book.  Thanks FCF and Ed Sails.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You'll be hooked as soon as you hear the opening of the "Caine Mutiny March". One of the best pieces of movie music ever written, IMHO.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 14:02:22
I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak last night. Well, this morning. It was a little after 5:30 am by the time I got done with it and was able to let go of it to turn off the light. Took me about 100 pages to really get into the story as it's a fairly choppy style, but once I did...wow. Just wow. Apparently they made a movie out of it last year, although I only found that out when I did the search to provide a link for you. But it's...wow. I was crying uncontrollably for the last 60 or so pages, but I couldn't stop reading.

It's the story of a girl in Nazi Germany, who is so dedicated to words she steals books. And it's the story of love, and friendship, and family, and how the regular people of Germany dealt with everything. Told with Death as the narrator. It's incredible.

http://www.goodreads.com/...w/19063.The_Book_Thief
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 14:53:04
EdSails

Sundancer7

FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You'll be hooked as soon as you hear the opening of the "Caine Mutiny March". One of the best pieces of movie music ever written, IMHO.

Ed Sails:  You made me do this.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArLCttUWcUU

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 15:21:22
Good move, Paul. I hope you enjoyed that. 

And make sure you have some frozen strawberries to eat while you're watching the movie!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/08 18:31:47
EdSails

Good move, Paul. I hope you enjoyed that. 

And make sure you have some frozen strawberries to eat while you're watching the movie!

He can't have any Strawberries........I distinctly remember someone taking the last of the Strawberries
love2bake
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 11:20:56
I loved A Time to Kill by John Grisham--quite a roller coaster ride and an amazing first book for him.

Just starting The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  This will be my third book of hers--I've read The Bean Trees and The Poisonwood Bible.

Felix - it looks like your persistence was rewarded!
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 12:00:11
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

By the time that you got to the end, did you still hate Capt Queeg?

The movie is one of my all time favorites. Mr Bogart brings the good captain to life. In my military career, which started after the book and movie came out, I was and worked for "Capt Queeg". Few of us are the officers that we want to be, and that our men need us to be. Obviously Capt Queeg was a figment of the authors imagination, based on the worst of many officers, but Queeg wanted to be a "good" officer. As the lawyer points out, if the subordinates had been better officers, maybe the mutiny would never have happened.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 26