Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 51
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/09 12:58:21 (permalink)
The best read I've had in a while is "Massacred for Gold" by Gregory Nokes. Mr. Nokes is a former Portland Oregonian reporter and editor who launched his own investigation into a reported mass murder of  more than 30 Chinese miners  alongside a creek emptying into the Snake River on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. It had been an open secret in Oregon's Wallowa County for a long time and Mr. Nokes' investigation revealed how the cover-up worked and comes as close as anyone could have to finding out what happened. it is like an episode of "Cold Case Files" except there is no satisfying arrest at the end. It is a crackerjack story and a great read about a corner of Oregon history that deserved to be illumined.
post edited by mr chips - 2010/01/09 12:59:27
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/10 12:22:47 (permalink)
I've been listening to Roy Blount, Jr.'s "Long Time Leaving: Dispatches from Up South," a collection of his pieces. I really like it. I also enjoyed his book on language, "Alphabet Juice: The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, ... With Examples of Their Usage Foul and Savory." I had to quote the whole title, because it's so great.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/13 09:17:24 (permalink)
mr chips

The best read I've had in a while is "Massacred for Gold" by Gregory Nokes. Mr. Nokes is a former Portland Oregonian reporter and editor who launched his own investigation into a reported mass murder of  more than 30 Chinese miners  alongside a creek emptying into the Snake River on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. It had been an open secret in Oregon's Wallowa County for a long time and Mr. Nokes' investigation revealed how the cover-up worked and comes as close as anyone could have to finding out what happened. it is like an episode of "Cold Case Files" except there is no satisfying arrest at the end. It is a crackerjack story and a great read about a corner of Oregon history that deserved to be illumined.

This sounds like an amazing book and an incident I did not know about.
I'm reading a similarly amazing book called, Myths of the Cherokees by James Mooney.   Mooney lived in Cherokee, NC for over a year in 1887-1888 and (in a nutshell) was able to gather most of the Cherokke myths, most of their medicine techniques, formulas, songs, etc.  How he did that and all the info itself is amazing spellbinding reading.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/13 11:29:34 (permalink)
Both Massacre in Gold and Myths of the Cherokees sound great, I'll have to track them down.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/13 13:54:18 (permalink)
I'm halfway through, and really loving 'When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present' by Gail Collins, and it's a really well-researched, first-person, funny, fascinating tour of how women's roles and opportunities have changed in the last fifty years.  I think every woman born since 1960 should read it.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 08:47:49 (permalink)
I finished reading "The Lovely Bones" by a woman author whose name I cannot remember.  It was a great book wherein the main character and teller of the story is a 14 year old girl whose been murdered.  Sound intriguing.  it was a gripping story and hard to put down.
t just came out as a movie by the same name a week ago and I have not seen it yet and may not get around to it.  The reviews I've read have been more negative than positive.
Anyone read the book, or seen the movie?  Comments?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 10:28:07 (permalink)
Just got "The Honor of Spies", the latest in WEB Griffin's Argentine OSS saga. I'll report on it here when I finish it.

****** Edit*****

It was a cold, rainy day here in Louisville, so I settled in and worked my way thru this latest addition to the Argentine OSS WWll series by WEB Griffin (and his son). Not bad reading. It did go into a lot more 'detail' than the previous step in the series. The plot does get stretched a bit when it includes references to about every major event in the 'politics of the war'...V-Weapons, Howard Hughes, Manhattan Project and related spy-stuff, Hitler Assassination and several other items that probably weren't historically accurate for an OSS project in Argentina.  We'll see how Peron and Evita get hooked up in the next volume. I still like his Brotherhood of War  and The Corps series better than this one. Maybe he will go back and fill in some of the blank years in both of those series!
post edited by mayor al - 2010/01/22 02:12:04
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 12:35:05 (permalink)
Just finished 3 good ones:

Tears in the Darkness: I can't recommend this one highly enough. It is an account of the Bataan Death March, told through the eyes of Ben Steele, a survivor. Even if you've read a dozen books on this topic, it doesn't matter. Read this one. Non fiction.

Killing Pablo: The hunt for and killing of Pablo Escobar. By Mark Bowden, the author of Blackhawk Down, and told in the same flat, matter-of-fact style that gave the earlier work such power. Bowden lets the reader draw the conclusions in this ugly, but powerful, story.

The Harvard Psychedelic Club: How Timothey Leary, Ram Dass, Huston Smith and Andrew Weil Killed the 50s and Ushered in a New Age foir America: Pretty interesting, well written, well researched, and informative. If you're old enough to have been a hippie, you'll like this.
post edited by Mosca - 2010/01/21 12:36:25
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 14:27:41 (permalink)
I wish I could read as fast, and as much as you do, Mosca.  Sounds like some really good books. 
I like fiction and non-fiction, but find as I get older I prefer non-fiction.  Most of it if it were written as a fiction you'd say "that could never happen."  I find that reality sometimes is more incredible than if it were written as a pure story.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 16:05:22 (permalink)
Oh heck, I just finished 10 days of recovery from surgery. I'm already into Signing Their Lives Away: The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence by Denise Kiernan; an interesting "casual" read, 56 short chapters. It's available as a $2 bargain book lots of places, if you see it you should pick it up.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/21 23:30:21 (permalink)
Upon hearing of the death of Robert B Parker last week -  I reread his novel Stone Cold - one in his series of Jesse Stone books.  He also wrote all of the Spenser and Sunny Randall novels but I really liked his Jesse Stone character - CBS has made several movies with Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone - all very entertaining. 
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 06:41:39 (permalink)
I am almost finished rereading the Aubrey - Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian for perhaps the last time and have also read as much of his other work as is readily available.  Have also read several of the parallel books such as the cookbook by Grossman and Thomas, Lobscouse and Spottted Dog,  with recreated 19th century recipes of foods mentioned in the Aubrey - Maturin series.

Have also read most of the "Inspector Chen" series by Qui Xiaolong.  Inspector Chen is a fictional supervising detective in the Shanghai PD and the series are police procedural novels in that setting.  Qui is a Shanghai native who did not return, at least permanently,  to China after Tianamen.  These books by Qui give many insights into life in the PRC, including food -   I keep GOOGLING the names of the food items that Chen eats during the course of his  investigations.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 08:33:59 (permalink)
Had not heard about Mr. Parker's death. This saddens me. I loved the Spenser(with an S like the poet) character and I feel as if I lost a friend. Thank you for the hours of reading pleasure, Mr Parker.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1634
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 09:09:19 (permalink)
mr chips

Had not heard about Mr. Parker's death. This saddens me. I loved the Spenser(with an S like the poet) character and I feel as if I lost a friend. Thank you for the hours of reading pleasure, Mr Parker.

I enjoy both the Spenser & Stone novels. It will be interesting to see if he had any or how many novels he had finished but unpublished at the time of his death.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/22 12:58:56 (permalink)
improviser

I've been listening to Roy Blount, Jr.'s "Long Time Leaving: Dispatches from Up South," a collection of his pieces. I really like it. I also enjoyed his book on language, "Alphabet Juice: The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, ... With Examples of Their Usage Foul and Savory." I had to quote the whole title, because it's so great.

I loved "Long Time Leaving." I am just starting "Alphabet Juice," and it's just terrific.

Just finished Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" and "Cornbread Nation 3: Taste of the Mountain South." Still working through Annette Gordon-Reid's "The Hemingses of Monticello."

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 13:02:18 (permalink)
cavandre

mr chips

I enjoy both the Spenser & Stone novels. It will be interesting to see if he had any or how many novels he had finished but unpublished at the time of his death.

The Boston papers reported that there were "several" books in the pipeline, including probably more than one Spenser novel.

I like all his stuff. Every year I stock up on crime novels before we leave for the beach. I make a big deal out of which one I'll read first, but really, there's no contest; I always start with the latest Spenser.

I was so saddened when I heard he'd died. One of the finest writers ever. Authors Robert Crais and Dennis Lehane were both quoted extensively in the obituary.

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 13:08:12 (permalink)
I like food so I read roadfood.com.  I like to read and I found this thread.  I am in the process of going through all thirty pages but I have noticed several who like the WEB Griffin books including mayor al who posted recently. 

Anyone interested in Griffin's precursors might try to find books by John W. Thomason including Fix Bayonets and Salt Winds and Gobi Dust.  Thomason (1894 - 1944) was a Marine officer who wrote about the Corps in World War I and various actions before and  between the wars.  Just about anything by him is worth reading.  His biography of J E B Stuart is perhaps the most sympathertic ever written.

I think I first read some of his books as a kid, but that was sixty years ago and Thomason's books are not often seen in libraries any more.  Be prepared to request through the ILL (Inter Library Loan) service if you are interested.  A 1st of Salt Winds (with DJ) was on one of the bid boards this morning with a $150.00 starting point.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 15:53:29 (permalink)
OKC,
Thanks for the tip on John Thomason and his military writings. I'll chase down some of his stuff and check it out.
AL
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 16:57:55 (permalink)
This is a request for roadfood readers to keep an eye open for a topic I will try to describe.  We have thirty pages of posts over several years from roadfooders who are readers here.  I wish I had gotten this note in years ago.  Who knows what I (we) might have learned.

In the CHILI thread, there is a heading about Shanghai Jimmy, a Great American, who served in the US Army, operated businesses in Shanghai during the twenties and thirties, and who once fed a a Christmas dinner to a POW camp full of the US Marines who had been captured on Wake Island.  In part because of that action he was himself interned by the Japanese.  After World War II he lost his business interests when the communists took over and finished his days in Dallas selling chili in several small hole in the wall operations.

I think it was in 1954 his chili parlour was rated one of the best new restaurants in the country by Esquire magazine.

I have contributed to the post mentioned above and to other message boards and so has the colleague known to us as PapaJoe8.  There was a time when I tended not to believe the Shanghai Jimmy history briefly mentioned above.   That was before he was honored by the POW association and so on.  But then, I found a reference to him in a book about life in China between the World Wars.   Later some one (possibly PapaJoe8) mentioned another reference, perhaps in one of the WEB Griffin books. 

Specifically, it said that "Jimmy's Kitchen" which he operated in Shanghai had the best American style coffee in China.  Other businesses he had included a fancy night club named the Mandarin.  He also had a radio station in China once.   I believe that there is still a "Jimmy's Kitchen" in Shanghai.

My request then is this.  I hope that the adminstrator will let this message stay.   After all, we are talking about someone who had a big reputation among North Texas chili heads.  Should any of you read a book with a reference to Shanghai Jimmy,  Jimmy's Kitchen, or the Mandarin in old Shanghai, please put a note on this message board.  Thanks in advance. 
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2010/01/22 18:14:25 (permalink)
On 12-16-08 redoubtable Ort. Carlton made a nice post about Ralph Dennis (1931 - 1988) whose Hardman series never received the attention it deserved.  I can only second his remarks.  Had he lived longer and written more in the Hardman series his opus in an Atlanta setting might be as well remembered as John D. MacDonal's Travis McGee series in Fort Lauderdale.  He is worth seeking out today as an example of  an original non-traditional PI.  During his lifetime stories circulated about Dennis hanging at the bar in Manuel's in Atlanta, "living on the margin" as he put it.  Anyone who might think to find an example of the Hardman series should be forewarned that they are little rougher than MacDonald, but less so than Jame Lee Burke.

I had a complete set of the paperback originals once.  If I still had them, I might be rereading like the guru in Athens.

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/hardman.html 

http://www.allanguthrie.co.uk/pages/noir_zine/articles/hardboiled_atlanta.php
post edited by Born in OKC - 2010/01/23 10:16:18
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/22 23:26:49 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich

I finished reading "The Lovely Bones" by a woman author whose name I cannot remember.  It was a great book wherein the main character and teller of the story is a 14 year old girl whose been murdered.  Sound intriguing.  it was a gripping story and hard to put down.
t just came out as a movie by the same name a week ago and I have not seen it yet and may not get around to it.  The reviews I've read have been more negative than positive.
Anyone read the book, or seen the movie?  Comments?

Earl, 'The Lovely Bones' is by Alice Sebold and I read it about five Christmases ago in Minnesota while I was laid up with a concussion, so I personally associate that book with my head injury.  ;)  It's really so unusual and perfect that I wasn't sure how it would get adapted, so I'm probably not going to see the movie (I did this with 'Adaptation' too--loved the book so much I skipped the movie), although I'm sure Peter Jackson is as good as you can do to try to put it on film.  If you're unfamiliar, an early movie by him, 'Heavenly Creatures' featured a true life crime with a fantastical element that he did very well.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 08:42:37 (permalink)
Nancy, thanks for filling out the infol on Lovely Bones.  I did not realize it had been ourt that long.  I just heard about it from a singer/songwriter named Angela Easterling who did a song called "Field of Sorrow" which is a killer song ( pardon the pun) but which she wrote after reading the book.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 12:09:01 (permalink)
I cannot believe that I read & liked the books, but I have enjoyed Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series & also her science fiction book, The Host.

I have never been a fan of vampire books,i.e. Anne Rice, but my daughter recommended the Stephanie Meyer books to me.  The books are additictive & I am in the process of re-reading the Twillight series.

It is interesting to here so many people(not all women) admit to reading & enjoying the books.  I am a 62 year old grandmother &  my fellow readers range from 70 year olds down to my teenage grandaughter.  At work, all the "girls" in our department have passed aroung the books.  One day when we were discussing the books, a male 30ish co-worker admitted to reading & liking the books.  He now is a part of our frequent Twilight discussions.

Stephanie Meyer has captured that 1st tiem in love- aching, can't think of anything else, kissing until your lips fall off-that most of us have experienced.  

I confess I love the books. 

Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 12:27:07 (permalink)
 I'm almost done Re-re-re reading the Emmigrant series by Vilhelm Moberg. I first read the series when I was about 11, and I deemed it "Little House" for grown-ups...A bit too much Religious stuff, but still one of my very faves.   Dawn
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 12:43:39 (permalink)
baileysoriginal

Upon hearing of the death of Robert B Parker last week -  I reread his novel Stone Cold - one in his series of Jesse Stone books.  He also wrote all of the Spenser and Sunny Randall novels but I really liked his Jesse Stone character - CBS has made several movies with Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone - all very entertaining. 

I had hoped we would have him with us for many more years - I will miss him as much as John D. MacDonald - two of my favorite authors of all time.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 12:54:52 (permalink)
Ah yes, Travis McGee and all those "Color titles...I miss MacDonald, so much!!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/23 13:09:18 (permalink)
MacDonald was the only author I took with me to Vietnam in 1967 - he got me through some lonely times there.
pattycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/26 00:12:54 (permalink)
I received "Under the Dome" from hubby for Christmas. Just started reading this very long and heavy novel about two weeks ago. It is 1079 pages long!
I love anything Stephen King and this has got to be one of his longest for sure.
It is about a town in New England which was suddenly covered with a dome. You could not see it until you hit it. And that folks, is not a pretty picture. But pure Stephen King!
I am trying to read 2-3 chapter per night or how long it takes before the weight of it makes my fingers numb.... I read in bed and that is not always a good thing.
It is a really good story and the townspeople seem like folks you know. Stephen even put a map of the town with all the streets and places so you become even more involved in the town and its people as they strive to find out what it is, where it came from, and how they will get out.

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/26 09:03:38 (permalink)
Just finished reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Like all his other books, I enjoyed it but the ending seemed rather heavy handed. Kind of made me wish he would have stopped about 20-30 pgs short of where he left it.

Next book is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho which was given to me by a friend.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2010/01/26 21:09:30 (permalink)
The Spy (1821) by James Fennimore Cooper.

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1