Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 51
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6426
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/01 11:02:11 (permalink)
I'm caught up in reading three books simultaneously right now. On my iPhone I have A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on the Stanza app. There are literally thousands of free e-books available through Project Gutenberg that I can access almost anywhere. That's the first Sherlock Holmes mystery novel.

On the Barnes & Noble eReader app I have Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food in progress. That's my first purchased e-book costing me $7.00. I figure that if I can get a book cheaper than paper this might be a good way to go. I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and may try a book from Amazon.com next. The download of books takes less than a couple of minutes.

At bedside in paperback I have Trophy Hunt by C. J. Box in progress. It is a mystery novel series set in a fictional town near Wyoming's Big Horn Mountains and the lead character is Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden. This is the fourth in a series. I highly recommend the series.

I'm liking reading e-books on the iPhone. I'm finding I can pull the iPhone out and read at any idle or convenient time anywhere and even at night in bed without need of a light or booklight. It seems easier than reading paperback books. I never lose my place so can bring it up during TV commercials for instance. The format in portrait mode is like reading newspaper column print which is the fastest way to read because your eyes don't have to shift horizontally. You can change the type of font you want to read as well as size of font. There are a lot of other e-reading features like bookmarking, dictionary, highlighting, etc. but so far I have just been reading. I'm anticipating maybe buying Apple's new larger screen iPad tablet computer which might make more sense in reading color photo illustrated books like cookbooks. I seem to have no problem with eyestrain on the iPhone. The LCD backlit screen does not flicker. There are Kindle, Nook and Sony Readers with the e-ink technology that makes it more like reading paper.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/02 01:24:08 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
   I just finished a very interesting little book (maybe 3.5" square) on the life and work of Frank Lloyd Wright.
   In that same thrift store batch, I scored a copy of the copyright 1979 Rolling Stone record guide. There's lots of great titles in there that I'd forgotten, too.
   Then, last night I read the new edition of Southern Brew News. And since I've gotten two new columns finished, I can go out and have a pint or three tomorrow night.
      Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Itch-Free Athens, Georgia.
post edited by Ort. Carlton. - 2010/02/02 01:44:09
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/03 05:19:50 (permalink)
 Well, I just finished "Lord Of The Rings" for the fifth time, including the appendixes. What a great saga!
  I am now on to a book by Jason Sheehan called "Cooking Dirty" (subt.) "A Story of Sex, Love, and Death in the Kitchen." The more of this book I read the more I recognize myself in the story. This is the story of my life as a cook, chef, bartender, dishwasher, busboy, dining room manager, or any other position I held in the restaurant business. I feel for Mr. Sheehan because I lived those terrible and most fondly remembered of days, or nights, when the rush would never end and when you went home to bed, you put in another 8 or 10 hours of work in your sleep.
  Too much booze and not enough sleep. Getting sick behind the dumpster because you stayed up til 5:00 am playing quarters or liars poker at the bar that was locked down tight and dark, so the cops wouldn't know you were there.
  Still, I am here today, a line cook, or "Chef" if you will. still trying to beat the rush and get the people what they want.

JMHO

David O.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/03 07:39:03 (permalink)
I'm currently reading "My Name's Friday" by Michael J. Hayde. It's the behind-the-scenes story of Dragnet, both the original b&w series from the 1950s and the color revival from the late '60s. The book also covers the five theatrical films that Jack Webb produced, directed, and starred in between 1954 and 1961 ( my favorite is The D.I.  )
post edited by Carolina Bob - 2010/02/28 10:41:31
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/03 13:49:04 (permalink)
nocarolina

I'm currently reading "My Name's Friday" by Michael J. Hayde. It's the behind-the-scenes story of Dragnet, both the original b&w series from the 1950s and the color revival from the late '60s. The book also covers the five theatrical films that Jack Webb produced and directed between 1954 and 1961 ( my favorite is The D.I.  )

You can get The D.I. on dvd from the Warner Archives (a great way to pick up movies that are most likely never going to get a wide release on DVD)

Link: www.wbshop.com/DI-The/1000088095,default,pd.html?cgid=ZARCHIVEALL
MetsLegacy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/03 15:31:22 (permalink)
I just started the novel The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. The novel is well recognized and is about a platoon in Vietnam. Tim O'Brien casts himself as the narrator of the book even though the story is fiction, which helps make the book interesting.    

R Sauer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/05 00:06:36 (permalink)
Just finished Inventory, by the writers of the Onion AV Club.  I'm currently in the middle of I'm Dying Up Here, by William Knoedelseder; Game Change, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin; and Stephen King's Under the Dome.

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/12 14:57:45 (permalink)
Just finished reading The Crowd Sounds Happy, by Nicholas Dawidoff, a memoir of his experience growing up in New Haven, CT in the 1970s, his troubled family, and how baseball helps him find his place in the world.

Generally a melancholy story, but uplifting in the end. I didn't love the book, I found it interesting that he really never experienced the New Haven that tourists know, like Louis Lunch and apizza at Sallys or Pepe's. In fact, his New Haven experience was nothing I expected - if he hadn't said he was in New Haven, you could've pictured him in Cleveland or Buffalo in the 70s. Not the idylic CT small town idea one normally has of these new england towns.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/12 21:52:46 (permalink)
Just finished"Hardball" by Sara Paretsky. Her hard-boiled female private detective is back with a story that includes a 40 year old murder case involving Martin Luther King and family secrets. A great read.
post edited by mr chips - 2010/03/08 01:46:30
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/15 12:46:17 (permalink)
About a third of the way through "The Man On The Flying Trapeze," Simon Louvush's fascinating biography of W.C. Fields, in which he manages to debunk an awful lot of the myths and misconceptions about Fields's life, including most of those invented by Fields himself.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/16 09:55:28 (permalink)
MetsLegacy, I loved The Things They Carried. Great book.

R Sauer, I really enjoyed the AV Club's Inventory book. And I need to finish Under the Dome. I got about 300 pages in, then set it down and got distracted by other books, but I was really liking it so far.

I finished a bunch of books on a recent trip to Kentucky. Polished off another George Pelecanos novel, The Big Blowdown. A bit of a change of pace for him, this book is set in the late 1940s, most of his other novels are set in the 1960s or the 1990s. He has rapidly become one of my favorite writers.

Read Lewis Black's Me of Little Faith, the comic's take on religion, filtered through events of his own life. While it still has lots of his trademark rage, it's also very thoughtful and open-minded at times.

The last Bill Bryson travelogue I read, The Lost Continent, soured me on him for a long time last year....he just seemed so needlessly mean and bitter as he careened around America. So I was glad to see that Neither Here nor There, a re-creation of a trip around Europe he took when he was younger, wasn't nearly as bitter as Lost Continent. I'd recommend it.

About to start Early Autumn by Robert B. Parker. Looking forward to it, I've never read any of Parker's work before, but I really enjoyed the Spenser TV show with Robert Urich and Avery Brooks.
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/16 10:51:01 (permalink)
I also liked The Things They Carried...very interesting and well-written read.  I just finished Alice Munro's new collection of short stories, Too Much Happiness.  I always enjoy her expertly crafted plots and language.  I'm hoping to brave the snow to pick up Noah's Compass at the library.  I got Under the Dome as a gift and the heft of it alone makes me wish for a Kindle.  I started it and got distracted but I'll pick it up again soon.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/16 19:34:34 (permalink)
I finished last week the novelization of a silent movie serial, "The Exploits of Elaine" (1915) which is a Craig Kennedy (scientific detective) adventure.  Now I'm reading the novelization of the sequel "The Romance of Elaine" (1916) which is also a Craig Kennedy adventure.  Both books really move, too--just as fast on the page as all movie serials do.  There is also a later sequel called "The Triumph of Elaine" which is yet again another Craig Kennedy tale.

post edited by Louis - 2010/02/16 19:36:19
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/20 12:59:03 (permalink)
Just finished The Book Thief.Great Book.
pattycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/20 21:03:22 (permalink)
R Sauer

Just finished Inventory, by the writers of the Onion AV Club.  I'm currently in the middle of I'm Dying Up Here, by William Knoedelseder; Game Change, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin; and Stephen King's Under the Dome.

I have been reading Under the Dome off and on since Jan! It is so big and bulky to hold is my problem;my hands and arms go to sleep. But I really like the novel. Has some pretty gruesome scenarios, but this is Stephen King after all. I am thinking about purchasing a Kindel reader as it is much lighter to hold. Then I read DavyDD's post and he said there is an app on Iphone for this. I just looked and yes there is! Gonna install that tomorrow.

pattycakes
Junior Burger
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/20 21:09:02 (permalink)
Davydd

I'm caught up in reading three books simultaneously right now. On my iPhone I have A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on the Stanza app. There are literally thousands of free e-books available through Project Gutenberg that I can access almost anywhere. That's the first Sherlock Holmes mystery novel.

On the Barnes & Noble eReader app I have Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food in progress. That's my first purchased e-book costing me $7.00. I figure that if I can get a book cheaper than paper this might be a good way to go. I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and may try a book from Amazon.com next. The download of books takes less than a couple of minutes.

At bedside in paperback I have Trophy Hunt by C. J. Box in progress. It is a mystery novel series set in a fictional town near Wyoming's Big Horn Mountains and the lead character is Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden. This is the fourth in a series. I highly recommend the series.

I'm liking reading e-books on the iPhone. I'm finding I can pull the iPhone out and read at any idle or convenient time anywhere and even at night in bed without need of a light or booklight. It seems easier than reading paperback books. I never lose my place so can bring it up during TV commercials for instance. The format in portrait mode is like reading newspaper column print which is the fastest way to read because your eyes don't have to shift horizontally. You can change the type of font you want to read as well as size of font. There are a lot of other e-reading features like bookmarking, dictionary, highlighting, etc. but so far I have just been reading. I'm anticipating maybe buying Apple's new larger screen iPad tablet computer which might make more sense in reading color photo illustrated books like cookbooks. I seem to have no problem with eyestrain on the iPhone. The LCD backlit screen does not flicker. There are Kindle, Nook and Sony Readers with the e-ink technology that makes it more like reading paper.

Davydd you have saved me from a rather expensive purchase! Just read your post and you said you downloaded the Iphone app for Kindel! Well I picked up my cute little pink and black Iphone and yes there is an app for that. Gonna down load tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! One more thing, do I need to purchase a Kindel reader or will I just be able to order books?   Thanks so much!

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/20 21:47:47 (permalink)
pearliwog5,

The Kindle Reader on the iPhone/iPod Touch is a free app. Amazon.com offers a lot of digital books free such as the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes novel I am reading now on the Kindle Reader and you download them through the iPhone. You can also, of course, purchase digital books at Amazon.com. The Defense of Food book I bought at Barnes & Noble cost me $7 but I had to pay Minnsota sales tax as well. If I had bought it at Amazon.com for the same price I would not have had to pay a sales tax. Amazon.com has a slight advantage that way but I wanted to test Barnes & Noble's eReader system. The nice thing about the iPhone with so many different reader apps is you can have multiple books underway and read the one you are most in the mood for. For instance I tend to read technical and nonfiction books during the day when I am most awake and novels just before retiring to bed.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/21 01:01:16 (permalink)
I had started Julia Child's "My Life in France" a couple years ago. Put it down for some unknown reason and forgot about it in my library. Have picked it up again. I still watch her episodes of cooking with great chefs on PBS, so this part of her life still intrigues me as she learns to cook in the french tradition, but it will take much more intersting turns of fate for her to become the Julia Childs we all know and adore. I'm really interested ot see how the book ends - does she know her cooking lessons will make her a lifelong cook and star in US, or is the book really just purely about learning her surroundings and falling in love with food? or is it something in between. Unlike most books I read, though, I'm taking it slow, to savor it like a stuffed and braised veal shank. This was, after all, her last effort in writing.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/21 19:07:24 (permalink)
For fun, I'm rereading Bradbury's The Illustrated Man as my son does his homework for school. It is a masterpiece!!
pattycakes
Junior Burger
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/22 00:59:16 (permalink)
Davydd

pearliwog5,

The Kindle Reader on the iPhone/iPod Touch is a free app. Amazon.com offers a lot of digital books free such as the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes novel I am reading now on the Kindle Reader and you download them through the iPhone. You can also, of course, purchase digital books at Amazon.com. The Defense of Food book I bought at Barnes & Noble cost me $7 but I had to pay Minnsota sales tax as well. If I had bought it at Amazon.com for the same price I would not have had to pay a sales tax. Amazon.com has a slight advantage that way but I wanted to test Barnes & Noble's eReader system. The nice thing about the iPhone with so many different reader apps is you can have multiple books underway and read the one you are most in the mood for. For instance I tend to read technical and nonfiction books during the day when I am most awake and novels just before retiring to bed.

Davydd, you have been a tremendous help to me. I was a bit confused about the free app for my Apple iPhone, but I did manage to download it! Wow, I am so impressed, Amazon has so many books and I think the prices-some free-are reasonable as well. Because I had been thinking about a Kindle reader, I went ahead and bought one. The K2. The K DX has a few more bells and whisles (sp?) but the $200. difference in prices made my choice for me. Besides, they have the same basic functions. My first download will be Stephen King's
(my favorite author) Under The Dome. The novel is so big-1071 pages- that is is very hard for me to hold. So now I can read my Kindle in bed and have my iPhone at the ready when we go away.
Davydd, I am a long time lurker and it took me until Jan. of this year to get up the courage to even write anything, but I really the Misc. sites the best. Having said that, I want you to know I have read about your bi-pass surgery and your recovery. Seems like you are feeling better every day. I just want to say congratulations on your speedy recovery and what ever you are doing is working! Of course as you said having a nurse for a wife is all good. Take care and keep reading and writing! 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/23 07:39:15 (permalink)
It's been interesting lately. There were a number of detective series in the 80's and 90's of which I was very fond. Jonathan Valin's Harry Stoner series set in Cincinnati, Michael Z Lewin's Indianapolis based private detective Albert Sampson, Stephen Greenleaf's John Tanner series, all have virtually ceased to exist in the aughts and i have discovered this after googling the writers. At least Sara Paretsky and Marcia Muller have not stopped. I'm going to read more George Pelecanos but still mourn the loss of these past series and will be looking for more detective series to replace them. And the recent death of Robert Parker robbed us of another favorite.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1642
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/23 09:12:45 (permalink)
A question for the iphone & ebook users...Do you find reading this way as "enjoyable" as reading a printed book?
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2042
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/25 05:51:39 (permalink)
I just finished The Lost Temple by Tom Harper. It is sort of Indiana Jones, but more possible. It takes place after WW II , in Greece, and follows the search for the tomb of Achillies. The fantasy part is that an ancient shield, at the tomb, is made from space metal that could be used in a weapons program. The Americans want it, the Russians want it, and and interesting cast of characters seek it. I'd give it a solid B as a read, but it has the potential to be a great movie.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/25 13:45:30 (permalink)
Just started the James Thurber volume in the "Library of America" series. What great fun he was.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2010/02/26 21:52:38 (permalink)
cavandre

A question for the iphone & ebook users...Do you find reading this way as "enjoyable" as reading a printed book?

What I am finding is that with the iPhone I can read just about everywhere. Any idol moment and I can slip the iPhone out of my pocket and start reading. The other advantage I've found is that I can read in the dark and since I do a lot of reading just before going to bed I can continue on even if my wife is ready for lights out. I always found book lights kind of clunky. As for the reading experience the layout is much like reading a newspaper column which has been proven to be the fastest way to read since your eye does not have to track side to side. Page turning is instantaneous. The Classics app gives you an animated paper page looking flip if you like. Is it as enjoyable? Hardcover books are easy to read especially when sitting in a chair. A lot of softcover books can be difficult to read without breaking the binding. I'm enjoying reading off the iPhone. Other advantages. You never lose a bookmark. Every time you open up you are right back to where you left off. You can highlight words and unlike paper, unhighlight. You can copy and paste passages. You can take notes. You can bookmark favorite parts of the book. You can highlight a word and check a dictionary. Footnotes are instant popups when you tap the footnote. You can change the font to what you think is easier to read and the font size if you would like it larger. So enjoyable in what way? I am reading a lot of classics that I would never read in a paper book because they are FREE to download online from Amazon.com or Project Guttenburg. If a paper book you would have to buy or go to the library. I currently have about 30 books in my pocket "stacked" up and ready to read.

eBooks like the Amazon.com Kindle and the Barnes & Noble Nook have a paperback page size and an e-ink appearance which closely emulates printed text in appearance. Most people that have them swear by them and I have read few comments by those that have them saying they prefer a printed book. I'm waiting for Apple's iPad because it will present a large page format in full color. Some think netbooks and laptops are just as good but they are not instantaneous as the iPad/iPhones and multi-touch sensitive to touch flip pages. The experience seems different. The iPad will open up more reading material such as illustrated books, text books, magazines and newspapers that utilize color, charts, photos, graphs, drawings, etc. that the current readers can't provide.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 160
Re:What are you reading? 2010/02/27 21:58:53 (permalink)
Just finished Manic: A Memoir by Terri Cheney.
Just started Double Take: A Memoir by Kevin Michael Connolly.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re:What are you reading? 2010/02/27 22:39:19 (permalink)
I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Race for Timbuktu: In Search of Africa's City of Gold by Frank Kryza. If you like history, this is excellent; it is a window to the age of British exploration of Africa. I didn't think I would like it, and it started slowly, but soon became a pager-turner.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:What are you reading? 2010/02/28 10:00:04 (permalink)
Thanks, improviser, for the information about the Warner Archives. I already have a "bootleg" DVD of The D.I., but I've ordered the official release from Warners since it will certainly be of better quality than what I currently have.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2010/03/08 01:52:32 (permalink)
Carolina Bob

I'm currently reading "My Name's Friday" by Michael J. Hayde. It's the behind-the-scenes story of Dragnet, both the original b&w series from the 1950s and the color revival from the late '60s. The book also covers the five theatrical films that Jack Webb produced, directed, and starred in between 1954 and 1961 ( my favorite is The D.I.  )

I checked out this book at the local library. It was an enjoyable read about the series and i learned a lot about the show and Mr. Webb's life. I had not realized how much Mr. Webb's voice had affected me until I realized every word in the book seemed (in my head) to be in his monotone. Thanks for the recommendation Bob.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1642
RE: What are you reading? 2010/03/08 11:08:08 (permalink)
I've got a "hold" in place at the local library for "Gator-a-go-go", the latest chapter of the ongoing road trip of Serge, the walking encyclopedia of obscure FL history & gleeful killer of those that don't fully appreciate it.
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1