Hot!What are you reading?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 51
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/07 01:39:20 (permalink)
I'm gonna flip a coin as to whether I read BlackWind by Cussler or Gallows Thief by Cornwell next.

it's in the air and twirling....

Heads! Gallows Thief wins!!!

Sorry Clive.

MikeS.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/07 15:27:17 (permalink)
Scary...

My oldest daughter is reading War and Peace by Tolstoy as "light" beach reading.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/07 16:20:38 (permalink)
Yep, real skerrry V960!

I'm reading;

The Making of a Poker Player, How an Ivy league Math Guy Learned to Play Championship poker by Matt Matros. Benzee and I have played with him. Good book! Nice Guy!
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/08 03:11:51 (permalink)
Well, I just got Tio Pepe and Suds in your Eye, --both by Mary Lasswell.
IF I ever find time for myself, I will start reading them.
Mary Lasswell purchases has been based on recommendations by fellow RF'er's, and I did try to get the whole series of the Suds in your eye books, but was outbid on them when I purshased them on Ebay.
I will try again...
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/08 14:28:19 (permalink)
Keep trying, I'm sure you can find them all eventually.

And then you can let me borrow them!
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/08 15:08:26 (permalink)
i got suds in your eye at the library
neener neener neener
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/10 01:04:10 (permalink)
Silly ole xannie. I STOLE mine from the library.

(Ok, I am soooo kidding.)

Suds is the only one I actually own.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/10 12:37:55 (permalink)
In order to take a break from reading The Kennedy Men, last week I bought The Devil in The White City by Erik Larson. If you are a fan of both history and true crime novels, Larson's well-written book would probably interest you. It details the work of the chief architect of Chicago's Columbian Exposition, and juxtaposes his life and work against those of Dr. Holmes, one of the worst serial killers in US history. Holmes operated in Chicago, and used the popularity of the Exposition to help him to find his scores of victims.

While Larson's writing is not without fault (he uses the phrase "try and (sic) convince him"), overall it is a good read, and is the type of book that draws you in. By contrast, the Kennedy book is somewhat ponderous. While I enjoy learning about the lives of Joe Sr. and his sons, and while the family's virulent Anti-Semitism was a revelation, the amount of detail does not make for an easy read. Only my desire to learn more about this very powerful family will make me return to the book, after I finish Larson's book and perhaps a few others.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 07:52:28 (permalink)
One of my all time favoritest reads was Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, who's a former English professor and part Osage. The gist was, after losing his job, he packed the van and took a road trip. The title was derived from his habit of avoiding the main roads, which were red on his maps, and taking the blue highways.

I even enjoyed this book while underlining some of the bigger words to look up later in the day.

Now, I'm plodding through his book River-Horse A Voyage Across America.

I'd like to get a copy of Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I started years ago, but misplaced.

I have a stack of stuff I need to hit, mostly biographiss and history stuff. I like to tell people the last fiction I ever read was Governor Bill Clinton and Senator Al Gore's Putting People First.
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 10:56:04 (permalink)
I'm re-reading Standing Under the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Anyone else read and enjoyed her books as much as I have? They're just so cheerful.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 13:17:41 (permalink)
As summer mental bubble gum I have begun to reread The Brotherhood of War seven or eight book set by W.E.B. Griffin.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3962
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 14:30:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

I'm re-reading Standing Under the Rainbow, by Fannie Flagg. Anyone else read and enjoyed her books as much as I have? They're just so cheerful.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe is one of my alltime favorite books. I'll check out the one you're reading too now.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 14:33:20 (permalink)
if you want cheerful, read the mitford books by jan karon.
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/13 19:01:59 (permalink)
Ed, check out Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man, and Welcome to the World, Baby Girl. I think those pretty much make up all her books.

Haven't heard of the Mitford books, but I'll check them out.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/14 06:50:16 (permalink)
Jan Karon has finished her Mitford series, but has promised to start a new one. My Mom just loves them. I just finished the new Laurell K. Hamilton book Danse Macabre I know I didn't like it as well as some of the others in the Vampire Hunter series, but it was interesting seeing into everyone's minds. I hope the next one has some detective stuff in it.

I've enjoyed the Fannie Flagg books I've read, but then, I like Southern women writers. One good thing about packing up my stuff to move is I should find all of my Sweet Potato Queens books and my Miss Julia books. I can always get a good laugh from the SPQs when I need it! God Bless Southern Women! (and Roadfooders!)
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3962
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/14 12:25:05 (permalink)
I'll check those out, Pwingsx. Right now I'm in the middle of Havans, by Stephen Hunter. Not sure what I'm reading next------tomorrow is a trip to Bart's Books in Ojai.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/14 15:54:13 (permalink)
Try Robert Baer's "See No Evil" and "Sleeping With the Devil". Real-life thriller/horror, if his facts can be trusted!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 01:34:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

As summer mental bubble gum I have begun to reread The Brotherhood of War seven or eight book set by W.E.B. Griffin.

I really enjoyed Griffin's stuff, this series too. Although he tends to only show one or a certain side of military life.

MikeS.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 02:15:26 (permalink)
Just finished "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch its about the CSI training school and body farm they run outside of Memphis, TN. Fascinating stuff and debunks a lot of the glamour that is shown on the TV show. Still love Gil Grissom and the team though. Also completed "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell. She took a variety of trips to presidential assassination sites and those of the assassins. Quirky sense of humor and wit about events leading up to the assassinations and backgrounds of the presidents and the assassins. A good read.
Pwingsx
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 02:57:05 (permalink)
Billy, that "Assassination Vacation" sounds fascinating.

I'd never heard of Sarah Vowell until tonight, when my sister had me watch an HBO special with Robert Wuhl, called "Assume the Position" on history as pop culture. So I come home, and what do you know, here you are, mentioning her. I think I will definitely have to check out that book now.
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 03:41:25 (permalink)
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism

The Little Friend by Donna Tratt
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 18:35:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Billy, that "Assassination Vacation" sounds fascinating.

I'd never heard of Sarah Vowell until tonight, when my sister had me watch an HBO special with Robert Wuhl, called "Assume the Position" on history as pop culture. So I come home, and what do you know, here you are, mentioning her. I think I will definitely have to check out that book now.

If you saw THE INCREDIBLES, you're already familiar with Sarah Vowell, or at least her voice: she plays Violet, the teenage daughter.

If you like ASSASSINATION VACATION, try her earlier books THE PARTLY CLOUDY PATRIOT, TAKE THE CANNOLI and RADIO ON.

I just finished THE BIG U by Neal Stephenson (amusing because it's based on Warren Towers, the largest -- and ugliest -- college dorm in the country, which is just a few T stops down the Green Line from me. Started A BIG STORM KNOCKED IT OVER by Laurie Colwin this morning.

I also read TWO FOR THE ROAD in about two hours total earlier this week. I strongly recommend making the whipping cream pound cake in the last chapter, incidentally. Best pound cake I've ever made.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/15 23:55:08 (permalink)
I'm back into Bernard Cromwell and his Redcoat. Am American revolution story told by a Redcoat's side of the war.

MikeS.
billyboy
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/16 01:05:09 (permalink)
Working on "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. Also just finished Heat by Bill Buford. A work about being a kitchen slave at Mario Batali's restaurant, Babbo. I highly recommend "The Reach of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman. He's an excellent food writer and the book covers artisan cooks, Emeril and Rachael, Tony B, and what it means to be a chef today. An excellent book for anyone thinking of becoming a chef. "Two For the Road" made me soooo hungry! An amazing read, Michael and Jane!
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/22 08:50:32 (permalink)
Just finished Blue Monday, a pretty interesting biography of Fats Domino. Tells you something about how the Ninth Ward in NOLA used to be. I'm about halfway through The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. On deck is Why We Get Sick by Randolph Nesse, MD and George Williams, PhD, about "the new science of Darwinian Medicine". I'm on the waiting list at our library for Water for Elephants.

Has anyone else read The Secret Life of Bees or Water for Elephants? Opinions?
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/22 09:24:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,

My favorite bathroom books are Robert Frost's poetry and "The Groucho
Letters" a collection of letters written to and from Groucho Marx.

Hello, Fieldthistle,

Since you mentioned it, I've been trying to locate The Groucho Letters because I loved Groucho so much when I was a child. What a remarkably witty man. Our library doesn't have it so I guess I'll have to order it from Amazon.

Another good bathroom read is The Last Word, subtitled "A Celebration of Unusual Lives". It is a compilation of New York Times obituaries of various folks, some famous; many others, not. Each obituary is a well-written short story. The "famous" include Bill Monroe, Willie Dixon, Grey Panther Maggie Kuhn, and actor Jack Weston.
The less well-known but interesting include Anne Schreiber who lived modestly, worked at the IRS most of her adult life, quietly invested her savings, leaving $22 million to Yeshiva University at her death; and Benny Ong, the leader of the most powerful organized-crime gang in Chinatown. I highly recommend it.

Sandy
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/22 15:56:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Has anyone else read The Secret Life of Bees Opinions?

Quite easily one of my favorite books. The story is real without being too mushy, interesting to the point of distraction and reminds me of my childhood in some respects. Look for the deeper meanings.

All of Sue Monk Kidds books are good. I highly recommend them.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/28 12:24:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy ThruthegardenAnother good bathroom read is The Last Word, subtitled "A Celebration of Unusual Lives". It is a compilation of New York Times obituaries of various folks, some famous; many others, not. Each obituary is a well-written short story. The "famous" include Bill Monroe, Willie Dixon, Grey Panther Maggie Kuhn, and actor Jack Weston.
The less well-known but interesting include Anne Schreiber who lived modestly, worked at the IRS most of her adult life, quietly invested her savings, leaving $22 million to Yeshiva University at her death; and Benny Ong, the leader of the most powerful organized-crime gang in Chinatown. I highly recommend it.

You sound like a candidate for one of my all time coffee table books. Obviously, Kramer on Seinfeld made the optimum one, but Wendy Northcutt wrote The Darwin Awards . It, in the words of the dust jacket, "Honor those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it." and tells how some people, usually through abject stupidity, wind up killing or injuring themselves. The only bad part is that sometimes it deals with people who injure other people, but is pretty funny if you like that sort of humor.

There's a web site: http://www.darwinawards.com
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/29 10:18:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

You sound like a candidate for one of my all time coffee table books. Obviously, Kramer on Seinfeld made the optimum one, but Wendy Northcutt wrote The Darwin Awards . It, in the words of the dust jacket, "Honor those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it." and tells how some people, usually through abject stupidity, wind up killing or injuring themselves. The only bad part is that sometimes it deals with people who injure other people, but is pretty funny if you like that sort of humor.

There's a web site: http://www.darwinawards.com

Yep. I love the Darwin Awards and visit that site from time to time. We live in Kentucky where future award winners frequently start their
award-winning performance with the phrase: "Here, hold my beer while I...."
billyboy
RE: What are you reading? 2006/07/29 13:04:05 (permalink)
Sandy, I just LMAO checking out the "award phrase". I have a couple of the Darwin books at home and their never fail to make me laugh!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1