Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 51
Author
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/08 22:54:53 (permalink)
ces1948, I ,too, have read all of the Janet Evanovich books. What a hoot! If your lady finds something similar, please let me know!
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/08 22:57:26 (permalink)
Oh, did she see the movie? I liked all the chracters except Ranger. He didn't fit at all.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/08 23:05:43 (permalink)
Just finished "The Presidents Club"by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy. it is a number of fascinating stories of how various Presidents interacted with their predecessors and successors from Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman all the way through to Obama. Bill Clinton's relationships with the Bushes and Nixon were quite friendly and his relations with Carter and Obama notably cool. it is a really great book for anyone who likes to study the presidency and the personalities of the men who have occupied the office. I recommend it.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/10/27 22:13:49
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 07:29:11 (permalink)
A really good, but a bit long, history of the Brooklyn Bridge, by David McCullough called, The Great Bridge.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 13:04:44 (permalink)
Mad River, John Sandford...A Virgil Flowers Novel, great read!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2012/10/09 13:06:00
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 14:11:18 (permalink)
carlton pierre

A really good, but a bit long, history of the Brooklyn Bridge, by David McCullough called, The Great Bridge.

I loved that book. His book on the Panama Canal, "Path Between the Seas", is also outstanding.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 15:40:37 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Hey, chewing, you like Vachss, you like Sandford, we're on the same shelves!  Virgil Flowers, as you well know, is this really cool guy from southern Minnesota, handsome and smooth and just women all over the place.   Being from southern Minnesota myself, well, yeah....that's us...that's us....

If only....

I am interested in his conflictions of conscience.  His past has a hold on his future.  But I also like the way he doesn't think he's the only smart one around, and will listen to other people.  Keeps forgetting his gun, though.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6379
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 16:17:21 (permalink)
I'm older than Virgil Flowers. I guess I identify more with his boss, Lucas Davenport. John Sandford (Camp) and I are the same age.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/09 17:20:16 (permalink)
Just finished Bob Woodwards "Price of Politics".............sorry......it was the scariest thing I have read in a decade!.........I'm wondering if ANYONE in DC.....on either side of the fence.........know what they are doing anymore except getting great pensions and their 15 minutes of power and fame
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/14 17:42:19 (permalink)
I'm reading Peter Heller's The Dog Stars, a good read.  The premise is a super flu has killed off most everyone except the two survivors you meet in the opening, one the main character and narrator of the book "Hig."  Some similarities to Cormac McCarthy's The Road, but without the destruction and barrenness.  These guys live by their wits and plenty of ammo, and are not starving, as they can hunt game, fish, and garden.  It helps that they live on a tarmac, and the main character flies a small plane.  

jman
  • Total Posts : 1364
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/14 18:11:31 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

Just finished Bob Woodwards "Price of Politics".............sorry......it was the scariest thing I have read in a decade!.........I'm wondering if ANYONE in DC.....on either side of the fence.........know what they are doing anymore except getting great pensions and their 15 minutes of power and fame

You should read "Throw Them All Out" by Peter Schweizer.  It's an eye opener.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/14 19:19:17 (permalink)
Just finished "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn. This women is really a good writer with a darkness that i love reading because i can't wait too see what happens next.Her characters are unsympathetic, a feature I like.. I look forward to her next book .
post edited by mr chips - 2012/11/28 00:10:08
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1404
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/14 19:33:30 (permalink)
mr chips

Just finished "The Presidents Club"by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy. it is a fascinating stories of how various Presidents interacted with their predecessors and successors from Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman all the way through to Obama. Bill Clinton's relationships with the Bushes and Nixon were quite friendly and his relations with carter and obama notably cool. it is a really great book for anyone who likes to study the presidency and the personalities of the men who have occupied the office. I recommend it.

That sounds very interesting and very timely!  I'll put it on my list.

I just finished "11/22/63"--finally!  Wow--what a ride.
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/21 19:16:37 (permalink)
Just started, "In the Sanctuary of Outcasts", a memoir by Neil White
chewingthefat
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/22 17:30:07 (permalink)
Just finished NYPD RED, James Patterson and some other Author, decent read.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/22 19:21:21 (permalink)
chewingthefat

I listened to an interview with John Sandford this morning on Minnesota Public Radio and learned Mad River was co-wrote with Joe Soucheray. So I downloaded it to my iPad and put it at the head of my reading list.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/22 19:40:15 (permalink)
easydoesit

To Davydd --  I know you check this forum once in a while.  Have you read any of the novels by Stephen Hunter?  He has quite a few, including a series about one family of police and military men, the Swaggers.  (One was made into a movie starring Mark Wahlburg, I forget the movie's name.)

I just finished his most recent, Soft Target, which takes place in a favorite place of yours -- the Mall of America.  Except Hunter has taken some liberties with both the name and the layout of the mall, and its general idea from an architectural standpoint.

His mall, called AtM (America the Mall) is designed more like a sort-of pentagon that is twisted around to resemble a scrunched-up America.

It's all about a terrorist attack on the mall, by, who else these days, and an attack that is meant to surpass the World Trade Center.

I know nothing about the designs or mechanics of such a place, but all the way through the book and it description of interior design, I was wondering what someone who had actually worked on the real mall would be thinking.

Update. I finished reading this book. There were lots of technical license taken but the story held. I doubt there is now and there wasn't 20 years ago a system that could control the mall or lock it down. Besides no code would lock you out of exit doors under any circumstance and the Mall of America is so wide open with stairs and escalators that one can easily go from level to level and 16 people could not possibly control the mall as it is so huge. The skylights are glass and were glazed from the exterior which means that could have easily been disassembled from the outside. With all the time they had they could have gotten the tools up on the roof to do so or to knock out, cut out or lift out the glass. I'm surprised the author either didn't research or know about all the interstitial space and underground space that would have made for a great story in their use. For that matter, the shops all have back delivery corridors that also have to be exitable so no one would really get trapped. Best of all, Hunter took a good parable potshot at the head of the Minnesota State Police. But I'll leave that one alone in this non-political forum. Besides that, the Minnesota State Police would have under no circumstances have any authority in such an encounter. That was completely fabricated.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 802
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/23 14:29:17 (permalink)
Iust picked up Sutton. About bank robber Willie Sutton, by J.R. Moehringer. Just looked interesting. Never read the author before.
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/26 22:32:57 (permalink)
Just started Steve Jobs biography. 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6284
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/27 07:47:47 (permalink)
I'm now deep into "No Easy Day", the story of the mission that got Osama Bin Ladin. Haunting!!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/27 10:01:27 (permalink)
The French Broad by Wilma Dykman.  Fascinating book about the French Broad river that begine in western NC, flows to Knoxville where it joins the Holston River to form the Tennessee River.  Written in 1955 and so well done.  A gem of a book.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/27 13:01:39 (permalink)
Just started Tom Wolfe's new book, Back to Blood, too early to tell if I like it, his last book sucked!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2012/10/27 13:03:15
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/27 23:27:01 (permalink)
The Racketeer new book by Grisham. Kind of slow in the beginning but picked up over the last half. The plot on the whole though was pretty unbelievable and it had the feel of something he just banged out.
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/28 12:32:27 (permalink)
ces1948

The Racketeer new book by Grisham. Kind of slow in the beginning but picked up over the last half. The plot on the whole though was pretty unbelievable and it had the feel of something he just banged out.

That's disappointing to hear, as I adore John Grisham.  I have about 5 lined up to read--not in a row, though.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: What are you reading? 2012/10/28 13:48:17 (permalink)
Davydd

easydoesit

To Davydd --  I know you check this forum once in a while.  Have you read any of the novels by Stephen Hunter?  He has quite a few, including a series about one family of police and military men, the Swaggers.  (One was made into a movie starring Mark Wahlburg, I forget the movie's name.)

I just finished his most recent, Soft Target, which takes place in a favorite place of yours -- the Mall of America.  Except Hunter has taken some liberties with both the name and the layout of the mall, and its general idea from an architectural standpoint.

His mall, called AtM (America the Mall) is designed more like a sort-of pentagon that is twisted around to resemble a scrunched-up America.

It's all about a terrorist attack on the mall, by, who else these days, and an attack that is meant to surpass the World Trade Center.

I know nothing about the designs or mechanics of such a place, but all the way through the book and it description of interior design, I was wondering what someone who had actually worked on the real mall would be thinking.

Update. I finished reading this book. There were lots of technical license taken but the story held. I doubt there is now and there wasn't 20 years ago a system that could control the mall or lock it down. Besides no code would lock you out of exit doors under any circumstance and the Mall of America is so wide open with stairs and escalators that one can easily go from level to level and 16 people could not possibly control the mall as it is so huge. The skylights are glass and were glazed from the exterior which means that could have easily been disassembled from the outside. With all the time they had they could have gotten the tools up on the roof to do so or to knock out, cut out or lift out the glass. I'm surprised the author either didn't research or know about all the interstitial space and underground space that would have made for a great story in their use. For that matter, the shops all have back delivery corridors that also have to be exitable so no one would really get trapped. Best of all, Hunter took a good parable potshot at the head of the Minnesota State Police. But I'll leave that one alone in this non-political forum. Besides that, the Minnesota State Police would have under no circumstances have any authority in such an encounter. That was completely fabricated.

Thanks for the update.  Hunter has taken liberties in other books, and willingly admits so.  So it's that 'suspension of disbelief' thing, and the devil's in the details.  Your remarks on the computer shutting down the mall surely makes sense, especially considering the mall's age there was nothing when it was built like we have now.

Hey, that Edmonton mall?  I was there in the early 90's, and my lord, it is big, ridiculously so.  It was overwhelming, and seemed mostly to be the same stores, over and over again.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/06 14:32:01 (permalink)
Mr. Chips -  just finished A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic, and thought this is a book you'd like.  Detective Inspector Lucia May is under pressure from her superiors to wrap up her investigation and report on what appears at first, to be an open and shut case in which an English school teacher goes on a rampage and murders four people before turning a gun on himself.  The reader is drawn into the story through a series of interviews with teachers, students, parents, etc., but it also alternates between what's going on in the detective's personal life and office as well.  I don't want to say too much - just read it.

EXcellent first novel - hope there's more, and with DI Lucia May. 

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/06 19:20:08 (permalink)
I just finished "The Astaires: Fred and Adele" by Kathleen Riley (University Press of Kentucky, 2012).  Overall it's a concise but good read of the pre-film career of Fred Astaire and his sister Adele, who were vaudeville performers from 1905 to 1917 and stars on Broadway from 1917 until Adele retired in 1931.  The focus is more on Adele simply because less is known about her.  There were only about a dozen pages that were over-intellectualized to the point that you had to read the passages over several times to understand what was being said (and I have an advanced degree), but aside from that it's an enjoyable read.  You learn quite a few things that you didn't know before.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/09 17:37:08 (permalink)
Custer, by Larry McMurtry, short book, many photos and paintings, great read, Custer was an arrogant ass, evidentally!
Lord we screwed the Native Americans!!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6284
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/09 22:16:20 (permalink)
"Foundation"  by Peter Ackroyd......part one of his proposed two part history of England and its rulers. I'm a bit of an anglophile and love English history...Great read!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/09 22:17:58 (permalink)
Just finished Stephen Tobolowsky's The Dangerous Animals Club, an adaptation of his podcast "The Tobolowsky Files". Tobo is "that guy" in the movies whom you know, but can't place: was he in that TV show you saw the other day, or was he the guy who helped you find that plumbing fixture the last time you were in Home Depot?

Recommended. Or, alternatively you can check the podcasts to see if it's your cup of tea.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1