Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 48 of 51
Author
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 18:32:51 (permalink)
I just started Alice Hoffman's The Museum of Extraordinary Things
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1768
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 22:22:39 (permalink)
tmiles

FriedClamFanatic

Read Pat Conroy's "Death of Santini"..great read......crazy family!.even crazier than mine!

Grisham's "Sycamore Row" was also a fun easy read

I didn't know that there was a follow on to Great Santini, a favorite book. I'll have to track it down. In that he died at the end of The Great Santini, is it just an expansion on the last part of the earlier book?

It is not a Follow-on, per se, but the true story of Conroy's life.  warning...for some, it can be a bit depressing
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/26 22:25:59 (permalink)
BelleReve

I just started Alice Hoffman's The Museum of Extraordinary Things

I'll be interested in your review.....saw it today(on line) and almost got it.

I did buy "Madam"......which is the story of Storyville
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2033
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 11:45:38 (permalink)
Just finished the newest (and last??) Tom Clancy book. I don't know if the co-author will carry on with the franchise, now that Mr Clancy has passed. Like most of his books, it is long, and a page turner. I did most of it in 2 sittings. Jack Ryan, and now Jack junior are interesting, and the subject of Ukraine is up to date. Now that the book has been out for a few months, and is a FORMER best seller, I was able to get it off the shelf at the library.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3610
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 13:09:23 (permalink)
I had to put the Zusak aside for a bit (it probably is good, but there are many, many distractions on my house that won't let me read long enough without interruption to get there), and instead moved on to The Forgotten by David Baldacci. Like all of his novels, the first few pages take a second to get into, then suddenly it's 4am and I haven't gotten to bed yet. I started it late Wednesday night and will finish it this afternoon.
BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 13:33:18 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic -  what's that expression about like minds?... I haven't read anything by Alice Hoffman in years but the reviews of this new book drew me in, I'll be sure to tell you more about it when I get further along -
I'm not familiar with the Storyville book but sounds interesting - if you want a great read check into The Last Madam by Christine Wiltz - it's a non-fiction on the legendary Norma Wallace who was in business over 40 years, then retired and became a successful restauranteur.  I think she came on the scene after Storyville closed down, so that her house was off Bourbon St in the French Quarter.   
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 21:13:01 (permalink)
I'm deep into my James Patterson marathon these past three weeks....read so far all but 4 of the 20 Alex Cross books and all of Patterson's Michael Bennett series. Can't make up my mind which series I like better. They're fast reads...from the most popular writer of the last  three decades....And there are still several series I haven't touched yet!!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/02/28 23:52:54 (permalink)
One of the best things about James Patterson putting out so many books is discovering his co-authors' work. I have been less than impressed with Patterson, mostly because he churns out books faster than humanly possible...something which makes most people impressed by him, but makes me wonder how many he actually writes. I suspect he just slaps his name on it while the others do the work. His co-authors, on the other hand, have never disappointed me when I've read their novels.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/01 05:16:22 (permalink)
felix4067

One of the best things about James Patterson putting out so many books is discovering his co-authors' work. I have been less than impressed with Patterson, mostly because he churns out books faster than humanly possible...something which makes most people impressed by him, but makes me wonder how many he actually writes. I suspect he just slaps his name on it while the others do the work. His co-authors, on the other hand, have never disappointed me when I've read their novels.

Felix, I agree.  Patterson is using surrogate authors who will write in his style.  What surprises me is how he gets away with selling his readers all that blank paper they are paying big dollars for.  Interesting how those short little chapters so often end with just a few lines on the page, then empty space.  Gets the page count up there, but I feel ripped off.

BelleReve
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/03 17:03:40 (permalink)
Just finished the Museum of Extraordinary Things, which I enjoyed and would recommend, though it was tough getting through the first chapters - New York 1911 - oppressed factory and garment workers(mostly immigrants) , working 60-70 hr. work weeks for pennies a day, some historical fact, The Triangle Shirtwaist Co. fire tragedy. It lightens up as you get further into it. 

I'm starting Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd, who is a first time author for me.
FriedClamFanatic
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/03 23:08:06 (permalink)
Thanks Belle.wil add it to my Nook
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4121
RE: What are you reading? 2014/03/04 00:27:25 (permalink)
BelleReve

Just finished the Museum of Extraordinary Things, which I enjoyed and would recommend, though it was tough getting through the first chapters - New York 1911 - oppressed factory and garment workers(mostly immigrants) , working 60-70 hr. work weeks for pennies a day, some historical fact, The Triangle Shirtwaist Co. fire tragedy. It lightens up as you get further into it. 

I'm starting Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd, who is a first time author for me.

Belle, 
You might enjoy Dreamland, by Kevin Baker. It covers the same period of time and locations, from the Triangle Co. to Dreamland amusement park in 1911. it's an excellent book. Characters are great, from a seamstress to a NY gangster to Freud. Check it out!
Ed
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1485
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/04 00:49:09 (permalink)
felix4067

I had to put the Zusak aside for a bit (it probably is good, but there are many, many distractions on my house that won't let me read long enough without interruption to get there), and instead moved on to The Forgotten by David Baldacci. Like all of his novels, the first few pages take a second to get into, then suddenly it's 4am and I haven't gotten to bed yet. I started it late Wednesday night and will finish it this afternoon.

Hey--you gave that other book 75 pages, and it didn't give back.  Life's too short.  I've never read anything by David Baldacci, but he sounds a lot better than the other guy!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/04 08:56:13 (permalink)
love2bake

felix4067

Hey--you gave that other book 75 pages, and it didn't give back.  Life's too short.  I've never read anything by David Baldacci, but he sounds a lot better than the other guy!

True...but I hate stopping a book. I've only ever not finished one book in my entire life. After I finished the Baldacci I went on to Lords of Corruption by Kyle Mills. It's an interesting take on African charities and how easy it would be to run a corrupt one. Of course, it's also a really good, fast-paced story about travel and genocide and power struggles and organized crime, and it wouldn't let me put it down. This is the second of his books I've tried, and I like him a lot as well. But I'm now reading the Zusak, and I'm halfway through. It is actually pretty good, but not as good as my friend thought it was.
BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 11:56:17 (permalink)
EdSails - thanks for the tip on Dreamland - will give it a try 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 20:06:04 (permalink)
I found a book my  deceased wife library.  I picked it out and it was "The Caine Mutiny"  It was written in 1961 and was a New York Times best seller for close to a year.  I had never read it.  It was one of a about a 1000 books in the library.  I had never read it but I had known about it.  I picked it out and I have not been able to put it down.  It makes you hate Captain Queeg.  I read about a book a week and I can say this is one of the best I have ever read by Herman Woulk.  If you get a chance, perhaps you should check it out.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caine_Mutiny

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 22:22:51 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I found a book my  deceased wife library.  I picked it out and it was "The Caine Mutiny"  It was written in 1961 and was a New York Times best seller for close to a year.  I had never read it.  It was one of a about a 1000 books in the library.  I had never read it but I had known about it.  I picked it out and I have not been able to put it down.  It makes you hate Captain Queeg.  I read about a book a week and I can say this is one of the best I have ever read by Herman Woulk.  If you get a chance, perhaps you should check it out.  

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Yep...GREAT book....and one of the few that the movie follows closely and is also good!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/06 22:33:48 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It is awesome. After you are done reading it, rent the movie. Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg, Jose Ferrer, Van Johnson and Fred MacMurray. Certainly of of the best acted movies ever and pretty true to the book. I still get a lump when they start the "Caine Mutiny March".

post edited by EdSails - 2014/03/06 23:13:51
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 05:33:22 (permalink)
FCF and Ed Sails:  Thanks for the info and I will get the movie PDQ.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 07:29:59 (permalink)
Just finished this...a MUST for any animal lover and pet owner.
http://www.amazon.com/Uns...;qid=1394195205&sr
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 08:51:36 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Also Lee Marvin in a wonderful early role

[EDIT].after posting this, I did a Wiki search on the movie and found this little bit of trivia:

When Maurice Micklewhite first became an actor he adopted the stage name "Michael Scott". He was later told by his agent that another actor was already using the same name, and that he had to come up with a new one immediately. Speaking to his agent from a telephone box in Leicester Square in London, Micklewhite looked around for inspiration, noted that The Caine Mutiny was being shown at the Odeon Cinema, and adopted the name Michael Caine. Caine has often joked in interviews that, had he looked the other way, he would have ended up as "Michael One Hundred and One Dalmatians."[18]
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2014/03/07 10:24:54
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 09:07:28 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I just ordered the movie from Amazon Prime and got it delivered next Tuesday for $8.97.  I did not know Lee Marvin was in it.  What a bonus and I am looking forward to watching the DVD after I read the book or finish it which will probably be tomorrow.  Triple outstanding book.  Thanks FCF and Ed Sails.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 11:11:12 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

When Maurice Micklewhite first became an actor he adopted the stage name "Michael Scott". He was later told by his agent that another actor was already using the same name, and that he had to come up with a new one immediately. Speaking to his agent from a telephone box in Leicester Square in London, Micklewhite looked around for inspiration, noted that The Caine Mutiny was being shown at the Odeon Cinema, and adopted the name Michael Caine. Caine has often joked in interviews that, had he looked the other way, he would have ended up as "Michael One Hundred and One Dalmatians."[18]

I did not know that. Great story, FriedClamFanatic!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 11:13:27 (permalink)
Sundancer7

FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I just ordered the movie from Amazon Prime and got it delivered next Tuesday for $8.97.  I did not know Lee Marvin was in it.  What a bonus and I am looking forward to watching the DVD after I read the book or finish it which will probably be tomorrow.  Triple outstanding book.  Thanks FCF and Ed Sails.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You'll be hooked as soon as you hear the opening of the "Caine Mutiny March". One of the best pieces of movie music ever written, IMHO.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 14:02:22 (permalink)
I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak last night. Well, this morning. It was a little after 5:30 am by the time I got done with it and was able to let go of it to turn off the light. Took me about 100 pages to really get into the story as it's a fairly choppy style, but once I did...wow. Just wow. Apparently they made a movie out of it last year, although I only found that out when I did the search to provide a link for you. But it's...wow. I was crying uncontrollably for the last 60 or so pages, but I couldn't stop reading.

It's the story of a girl in Nazi Germany, who is so dedicated to words she steals books. And it's the story of love, and friendship, and family, and how the regular people of Germany dealt with everything. Told with Death as the narrator. It's incredible.

http://www.goodreads.com/...w/19063.The_Book_Thief
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 14:53:04 (permalink)
EdSails

Sundancer7

FriedClamFanatic

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You'll be hooked as soon as you hear the opening of the "Caine Mutiny March". One of the best pieces of movie music ever written, IMHO.

Ed Sails:  You made me do this.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArLCttUWcUU

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/07 15:21:22 (permalink)
Good move, Paul. I hope you enjoyed that. 

And make sure you have some frozen strawberries to eat while you're watching the movie!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/08 18:31:47 (permalink)
EdSails

Good move, Paul. I hope you enjoyed that. 

And make sure you have some frozen strawberries to eat while you're watching the movie!

He can't have any Strawberries........I distinctly remember someone taking the last of the Strawberries
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1485
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 11:20:56 (permalink)
I loved A Time to Kill by John Grisham--quite a roller coaster ride and an amazing first book for him.

Just starting The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  This will be my third book of hers--I've read The Bean Trees and The Poisonwood Bible.

Felix - it looks like your persistence was rewarded!
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2033
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 12:00:11 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

By the time that you got to the end, did you still hate Capt Queeg?

The movie is one of my all time favorites. Mr Bogart brings the good captain to life. In my military career, which started after the book and movie came out, I was and worked for "Capt Queeg". Few of us are the officers that we want to be, and that our men need us to be. Obviously Capt Queeg was a figment of the authors imagination, based on the worst of many officers, but Queeg wanted to be a "good" officer. As the lawyer points out, if the subordinates had been better officers, maybe the mutiny would never have happened.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 48 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1