Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 51
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2046
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 12:03:16 (permalink)
Have the Dr Seuss books been re published?? I noted in the Wall Street Journal Saturday edition, that he is holding down number 1 with "Green Eggs and Ham", and has 7 of the top 10. How long has he been dead??
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 12:22:48 (permalink)
tmiles

Sundancer7

I found a book my  deceased wife library.  I picked it out and it was "The Caine Mutiny"  It was written in 1961 and was a New York Times best seller for close to a year.  I had never read it.  It was one of a about a 1000 books in the library.  I had never read it but I had known about it.  I picked it out and I have not been able to put it down.  It makes you hate Captain Queeg.  I read about a book a week and I can say this is one of the best I have ever read by Herman Woulk.  If you get a chance, perhaps you should check it out.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caine_Mutiny

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

By the time that you got to the end, did you still hate Capt Queeg?

The movie is one of my all time favorites. Mr Bogart brings the good captain to life. In my military career, which started after the book and movie came out, I was and worked for "Capt Queeg". Few of us are the officers that we want to be, and that our men need us to be. Obviously Capt Queeg was a figment of the authors imagination, based on the worst of many officers, but Queeg wanted to be a "good" officer. As the lawyer points out, if the subordinates had been better officers, maybe the mutiny would never have happened.

I have about 20 pages to go.  My hatred for Queeg has diminished.  I will wait to the end to answer that.  It appears at this point that the current Captain is somewhat a coward himself???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 12:42:23 (permalink)
tmiles

Have the Dr Seuss books been re published?? I noted in the Wall Street Journal Saturday edition, that he is holding down number 1 with "Green Eggs and Ham", and has 7 of the top 10. How long has he been dead??

I remember growing up in and around La Jolla, Ca.       Mr. Ted,  Dr. Seuss himself,  used to come down to the public library once a week to read his stories to us kids.  Those were the days.  This would have been around the late fifties and early sixties.  I knew him rather well.  He was friends with my mother, who was at that time the Romper Room Lady.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3658
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 14:03:23 (permalink)
love2bake 

Felix - it looks like your persistence was rewarded!  

It really was! A fried I like a lot recommended it, so I didn't want to give up.

Let's see, since then... The Third Gate by Lincoln Child. Even though all of his books have a similar plot, their varied settings and characters make them all interesting. This one takes place in the remotest part of Egypt you could possibly find, on an archaeological dig to discover an ancient Pharaoh's tomb. There's science, there's inter-personal relationships, there's an element of the supernatural (like most of his books), and even though the characters are fairly undeveloped you know enough about each of them to care about the ones you're supposed to as long as you're reading the book. Once you're done, you're done, though. It's good for keeping your attention, and is a fairly quick read, but it's certainly not great literature.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 15:24:22 (permalink)
I finished "The Caine Mutiny".  Outstanding novel and I guess it ended the way it should.  It sorta appears that nobody was happy in the end.  Queeg got a new gig somewhere landlocked, current captain Willie was in doubt about his love and everybody else just sorta left???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 16:06:55 (permalink)
felix4067

love2bake 

It really was! A fried I like a lot recommended it, so I didn't want to give up.

Let's see, since then... The Third Gate by Lincoln Child. Even though all of his books have a similar plot, their varied settings and characters make them all interesting. This one takes place in the remotest part of Egypt you could possibly find, on an archaeological dig to discover an ancient Pharaoh's tomb. There's science, there's inter-personal relationships, there's an element of the supernatural (like most of his books), and even though the characters are fairly undeveloped you know enough about each of them to care about the ones you're supposed to as long as you're reading the book. Once you're done, you're done, though. It's good for keeping your attention, and is a fairly quick read, but it's certainly not great literature.

Oh, a new Lincoln Child book. I especially liked the books he did with Douglas Preston. Good Characters and fast moving plots. I especially enjoyed Relic, Riptide, The Ice Limit and The Cabinet of Curiosities. I'll have to look for The Third Gate.
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 19:24:39 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I finished "The Caine Mutiny".  Outstanding novel and I guess it ended the way it should.  It sorta appears that nobody was happy in the end.  Queeg got a new gig somewhere landlocked, current captain Willie was in doubt about his love and everybody else just sorta left???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

The best quote that I got from an MBA teacher (a retired administrator of a major hospital)... "It is very hard to find a good non-profit CEO, but very easy to find 12 board members to second guess his every move"  In the military, it is very cool and important to be the commanding officer, but the heavy lifting that prevents a Capt Queeg situation is the vitally important work done by the Executive Officer and the Sergeant Major/Senior Petty Officer. I don't remember a Chief Petty Officer in Caine, but the Executive officer was certainly a worthless piece of .........

Now the former Captain of the Cain (I forget who played him so well in the movie) is the type of leader who has made our Navy great. I hope that I was more like him than Queeg.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 20:41:56 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

tmiles

I remember growing up in and around La Jolla, Ca.       Mr. Ted,  Dr. Seuss himself,  used to come down to the public library once a week to read his stories to us kids.  Those were the days.  This would have been around the late fifties and early sixties.  I knew him rather well.  He was friends with my mother, who was at that time the Romper Room Lady.

My brother graduated UCSD in the late '70's and Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss) was the Commencement speaker. I understand there is also a building on campus named for him now.

PP, I remember watching Romper Room in the late 50's early 60's. I don't remember if we had a local host or just the syndicated show at that time. Was your mom the LA host?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3658
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/09 22:02:13 (permalink)
EdSails

felix4067

love2bake 

Oh, a new Lincoln Child book. I especially liked the books he did with Douglas Preston. Good Characters and fast moving plots. I especially enjoyed Relic, Riptide, The Ice Limit and The Cabinet of Curiosities. I'll have to look for The Third Gate.

New-ish...published in 2012. If you're expecting the same quality as the ones he did with Preston, you'll be disappointed. His novels on his own are formulaic: rich guy wants something rare, rich guy builds ridiculously expensive, scientifically advanced lab in some obscure location that will kill you if you're not careful (with really crappy security protocol), there is an evil scientist in a powerful position, irrelevant characters get seriously hurt or killed, rich guy brings in a maverick who just wants everybody to get along, there is a woman who is intelligent yet apparently so stupid she needs to be saved, there is something supernatural at work, and then there's this huge, rushed climax where nothing is actually resolved.

It's weird...while you're reading them, they're pretty good. Preposterous, but good. And then when you're done you have a hard time remembering anyone's name, or really any specifics about the book.
Poverty Pete
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/10 00:45:10 (permalink)
EdSails

Poverty Pete

tmiles

My brother graduated UCSD in the late '70's and Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss) was the Commencement speaker. I understand there is also a building on campus named for him now.

PP, I remember watching Romper Room in the late 50's early 60's. I don't remember if we had a local host or just the syndicated show at that time. Was your mom the LA host?

My mother was the hostess for the San Diego franchise, on XETV, channel 6.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/10 01:45:06 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

EdSails

Poverty Pete

My mother was the hostess for the San Diego franchise, on XETV, channel 6.

My relatives lived right above Montezuma at the entrance to SD State. During summer we might spend a few weeks at a time in SD. It's very neat to think that I might have seen your mother on TV regularly in those years.

Poverty Pete
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/10 02:30:22 (permalink)
I distinctly recall one particular day when, as the show was ending, Miss Betsy held up her Magic Mirror and said,  "...and I see Eddie..."
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/10 04:31:19 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

I distinctly recall one particular day when, as the show was ending, Miss Betsy held up her Magic Mirror and said,  "...and I see Eddie..."

tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/21 12:36:44 (permalink)
An editorial in Wall Street Journal. I posted a month or so ago about a book on the decline of our Navy. The editorial today says that of our 12 carriers, 3 are at sea, and one could be ready in 30 days. Hospital ships, and little ships the size of WW2 PT boats are being counted as combat ships to say that we have 100 ships ready for sea. Where is all the money going? I'm a strong supporter of the Navy, but if we can't afford to run them why not get rid of some? (or at least put them in the mothball fleet)
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/21 17:01:31 (permalink)
"ONE SUMMER -America, 1927" by Bill Bryson. A LOT more going on than Lindbergh and Babe Ruth! A great read!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/21 20:57:07 (permalink)
love2bake

I loved A Time to Kill by John Grisham--quite a roller coaster ride and an amazing first book for him.

Just starting The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  This will be my third book of hers--I've read The Bean Trees and The Poisonwood Bible.

funny, I just finished a book by David Adams called Lacuna!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 09:11:51 (permalink)
love2bake

I loved A Time to Kill by John Grisham--quite a roller coaster ride and an amazing first book for him.

Just starting The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  This will be my third book of hers--I've read The Bean Trees and The Poisonwood Bible.

Speaking of Kingsolver....I just finished Flight Behavior and have read the latter two above as well as Prodigal Summer. I really love her. Flight Behavior and PS were both fantastic.

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1492
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 09:32:41 (permalink)
That's great to hear!  I'll put those on my list.  Her writing is wonderful.  For me it's kind of like prime rib as opposed to burgers.  I enjoy both, but I definitely eat more burgers. 

Ed - Interesting coincidence!  In my book lacuna referred to an underwater cave.  I have yet to determine why the book was named after it.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6194
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 12:25:21 (permalink)
porkbeaks

"ONE SUMMER -America, 1927" by Bill Bryson. A LOT more going on than Lindbergh and Babe Ruth! A great read!

I concur...I never realized how Godlike Lindbergh became. I would have loved to hang with Ruth!
Bill Bryson is a great writer, loved "A Brief History of Nearly Everything"

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 12:39:33 (permalink)
love2bake

That's great to hear!  I'll put those on my list.  Her writing is wonderful.  For me it's kind of like prime rib as opposed to burgers.  I enjoy both, but I definitely eat more burgers. 

Ed - Interesting coincidence!  In my book lacuna referred to an underwater cave.  I have yet to determine why the book was named after it.

This is sort of an alternate universe SF story where Earth is attacked by "Lacuna"----Demons.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 12:52:33 (permalink)
In my wife's library I found a autographed copy of "Overload" by Arthur Hailey about the electrical and gas power industry of California.  Double outstanding and not as I had anticipated.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 13:39:22 (permalink)
chewingthefat

porkbeaks

I concur...I never realized how Godlike Lindbergh became. I would have loved to hang with Ruth!
Agreed, and having hiked large portions of the Appalachian Trail I still get a kick out of re-reading "A Walk In The Woods" from time to time.
post edited by Pancho - 2014/03/22 16:34:30
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 14:48:24 (permalink)
Stars and Stripes TRIUMPHANT by Harry Harrison. I have not read him in a few (many??) years, but an earlier post in this thread got me to take out this book. It is an alternate history book without the science fiction. The book "could have happened" had the British butted into the American civil war.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1798
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/22 17:00:56 (permalink)
Pancho

chewingthefat

porkbeaks

Agreed, and having hiked large portions of the Appalachian Trail I still get a kick out of re-reading "A Walk In The Woods" from time to time.

And as an American who lived in the UK for 5 years, his "notes from a small island" and Theroux's "Kingdom by the Sea" often brought tears of laughter and/or "OMG, he got that right!"
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/24 15:46:10 (permalink)
tmiles

Stars and Stripes TRIUMPHANT by Harry Harrison. I have not read him in a few (many??) years, but an earlier post in this thread got me to take out this book. It is an alternate history book without the science fiction. The book "could have happened" had the British butted into the American civil war.

I like Harry Harrison's stuff a lot. Will have to check this one out.

PS---if you like alternate history there is a book called "Alternate Gettysburgs" that is really interesting as well as thought provoking. It's a collection by Brian Thorsen and Martin H. Greenberg.
post edited by EdSails - 2014/03/24 23:03:14
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/24 16:34:04 (permalink)
I just read a magazine bit about Grace Hopper. If one were to pick a single inventor of modern computing, it would be her. She was first to translate 1s and 0s to letters, first to "save" a program for fast reuse, and coined the terms "bug" and "coding" . 

I remember Admiral Rickover serving into old age, but Adm Hopper served into her 80s as well. Pres Reagan personally promoted her to flag rank, and she has a ship named after her. Pretty good for a math teacher who joined up during WW2 to help the war effort. 
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 180
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/25 14:07:17 (permalink)
tmiles

Another enjoyable alternate history is Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen's "Gettysburg" trilogy. Another 'could have happened'.
tmiles
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/26 12:45:46 (permalink)
RKB

tmiles

Another enjoyable alternate history is Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen's "Gettysburg" trilogy. Another 'could have happened'.

I like Newt's books, especially the ones on the revolution.  The Pearl Harbor books were good too, but I don't understand why there were 2 of them, covering much the same content. I'll check out the Gettysburg series.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6194
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/26 17:38:19 (permalink)
The Bootlegger, Clive Cusseler with Justin Scott...1/3 of the way thru I put it down, a first for me with Cussler. Damn it was soooooo boring! He's a sellout!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2014/03/26 18:47:08 (permalink)
chewingthefat

The Bootlegger, Clive Cusseler with Justin Scott...1/3 of the way thru I put it down, a first for me with Cussler. Damn it was soooooo boring! He's a sellout!

Things went downhill IMHO once he started partnering with other writers. I think he lends them his name and doesn't write much himself now.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1