Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 51
Author
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2302
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/09 18:53:55 (permalink)
My niece is taking an American Lit class, and she thinks I know everything about everything, so lately I've had to brush up on Poe, Willa Cather and Faulkner.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/09 19:33:20 (permalink)
pete, worry when she starts asking you about
war and peace.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/10 07:49:58 (permalink)
Hello All,
Pete, I love Faulkner and Cather, but Poe[|)]
War and Peace rules!
Right now, still reading Sherlock Holmes in the bathroom.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/13 11:19:54 (permalink)
I finished Time and Again by Jack Finney which I adored. Also read One Foot In Eden over the weekend. The story of a murder and the search for the body, I really enjoyed. The author is a local man, Ron Rash. I attended a signing for his most recent book, The World Made Straight, back in the spring and found him to be a really nice guy, incredibly knowledgable about the Upstate SC and North Carolina areas.

I haven't started anything new yet. I've got the sequel to Time and Again, From Time To Time, waiting for me at home. But there's a City Council meeting tonight, and it looks to be a long one, so I'll probably just fall into bed when I get back.
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/13 14:54:54 (permalink)
I didn't know Sherlock Holmes had a case that took place in the batroom??(nyuk nyuk) Seriously though, I love Sherlock Holmes stories!! I re-read the Complete Sherlock Holmes at least once every few years. You should read "The Man Who Fell To Earth" by Walter Tevis. The same guy who wrote "The Hustler" and The Color of Money".
Mike
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/13 16:12:42 (permalink)
I assume they made the movie "The Man Who Fell To Earth" from this book? I really like the movie but it's really strange. Really good...but really strange.
xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/13 18:16:25 (permalink)
i'm almost finished reading
the life and times of the thunderbolt kid..by bill bryson
a memoir about growing up in the fifties..
funny and informative.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/14 15:02:46 (permalink)
Embarrassed to admit it, but I'm starting Norah Robert's "Valley of Silence." My brain is fried from too much medical terminology.
xannie_01
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/14 15:05:46 (permalink)
YEAAAAAAAA!!!
just got my copy of nature girl
by carl hiaasan..
nora roberts is great escapism.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/21 07:35:34 (permalink)
I am a big history lover and I am currently enjoying reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals".
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/21 12:13:02 (permalink)
Finally got around to reading "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. This book rocks. Also just finished "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Seebold. Would recommend both to anyone. I just bought the latest Stephen King but I am saving it for a cold, dark night.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2403
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/25 23:57:11 (permalink)
I just finished "The Absolutely Worst Places To Live In America" by Dave Gilmartin. He went around the country and asked people one question, "What is the worst place you've lived?" The book is definitely has a bit of controversy to it as it slams about 80 cities and towns across the U.S. Some rightfully so as the educational systems, job opportunities, and level of violence/drug crime tell the story, others by people who don't like that they can't get booze on a Sunday (hint:stock up on Saturday), can't deal with snow in the winter, lack of big city opportunities. Interesting as he slammed two places I have lived or frequented: Syracuse, NY and Allston, MA.

I also just finished "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest. It's a great book that was just made into a film with Hugh jackman and Christian Bale. Its about rival magician in the late 19th century who pull increasingly dangerous stunts on each other in a bid to be the best magician and to seek revenge for past wrongs. Really great themes of obsession, dedication, and sarifice for the sake of something one truly loves.

I'm working on "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris right now. Very interesting and surely controversial read. He is an aetheist who writes an open letter to the all Christians in the U.S. stating the reasons and citing examples as to why there is no God. Something to think on.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/26 03:42:38 (permalink)
Gosh..
I am so jealous of you that have time to read.
I have to spend so much time working.
I LOVE to read. I used to check out 5 books every 2 weeks at the library when I first started taking care of mom, as I had nothing to do, but make sure she was alright.
I couldnt work.Now that I work, I have to spend all my time working, and cant read anymore.
I have bought books. I have a few that I bought, and they are collecting dust.
I feel out of touch and out of sync with me.
I wish I could get each and every book that I see others here are reading.
Thanks for sharing with us all.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/26 08:36:17 (permalink)
I am currently reading Evan Thomas' biopgraphy of Robert Kennedy and "Elest", the 2nd book of a trilogy written by Christopher Paolini. Paolini was home schooled in Montana and began writing the first book of the trilogy-"Eragon" at while still a teenager. I am not really an fantasy fan, but I have really enjoyed these books.

I am a fan of mystery books. My favorite mystery author is Dorothy Sayers and her Lord Peter Wimsey books. Also, I am a great admirer of Dick Francis.
John B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/26 08:54:16 (permalink)
Currently working on "Gettysburg: Day Three" by Jeffery D. Wert. Just the latest in a long line of Gettyburg books.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/26 20:26:53 (permalink)
Just interrupted reading "Amidst the Fray" by William D Mounger (a fascinating look at the growth of the modern Republican Party in Mississippi by an insider) to laugh out loud at "I don't Like My Neck" by Nora Ephron.

I'm an eclectic reader. I usually have two totally opposite types of books going at once.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2302
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/26 20:38:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John B

Currently working on "Gettysburg: Day Three" by Jeffery D. Wert. Just the latest in a long line of Gettyburg books.

I just finished "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Along with Shelby Foote's books, this is one of the best Civil War books I've found.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/27 00:54:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

I just finished "The Absolutely Worst Places To Live In America" by Dave Gilmartin. He went around the country and asked people one question, "What is the worst place you've lived?" The book is definitely has a bit of controversy to it as it slams about 80 cities and towns across the U.S. Some rightfully so as the educational systems, job opportunities, and level of violence/drug crime tell the story, others by people who don't like that they can't get booze on a Sunday (hint:stock up on Saturday), can't deal with snow in the winter, lack of big city opportunities. Interesting as he slammed two places I have lived or frequented: Syracuse, NY and Allston, MA.

I also just finished "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest. It's a great book that was just made into a film with Hugh jackman and Christian Bale. Its about rival magician in the late 19th century who pull increasingly dangerous stunts on each other in a bid to be the best magician and to seek revenge for past wrongs. Really great themes of obsession, dedication, and sarifice for the sake of something one truly loves.

I'm working on "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris right now. Very interesting and surely controversial read. He is an aetheist who writes an open letter to the all Christians in the U.S. stating the reasons and citing examples as to why there is no God. Something to think on.

"worst places to live in America" book is right up my alley too , billyboy.... I think I will go right to Amazon. com and try and buy it. Thanks for turning us on to it...

I've often read those "best places rated" almanac books, and I'd like to get in a little deeper behind all those statistics!

How about that town Pine Bluff, Arkansas?!? Is it still rated at the bottom? I remember it was #300 at one point, which is as low as it could go.

I often disagree with those ratings of places in Minnesota as "best places" to live, cause it is so darned COLD there!!

(But supposedly those are great places to raise kids)

I enjoy reading USA today, the Wall ST. Journal, Sunday NY Times (espescially travel and real estate sections)...

I'm real big on newspapers , and travel and poker magazines...

and flyertalk.com and lasvegasadvisor.com...
and of course roadfood.com.........great reading!!
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/27 11:19:30 (permalink)
I'm reading Refuge by Dot Jackson, a local author and compendium of knowledge about Upstate South Carolina. I interviewed Dot last month for a story I wrote about local Halloween legends. She's a great character in her own right.

Refuge is the story of a Charleston society woman who flees her life to rediscover her father's side of the family and her own roots. I'm really enjoying it.

I bought a copy for my grandmother. I'm gonna get Dot to sign Mamee's copy tomorrow at a book signing.

I've started a bit of a collection of books by South Carolina authors. I've got books by Ron Rash, Thomas Rain Crowe, John Boyanoski, and Dot. Tomorrow I'll add Keith Morris' "The Greyhound God" to the collection. The only problem is finding time to read them!
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/30 11:00:37 (permalink)
Last night I finished Windhaven a fantasy novel by George R.R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle. Martin is best known for his best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series, which is absolutely wonderful, in my opinion, second only to The Lord of the RIngs series. Tuttle is mostly known for the short story anthologies she edits.

Windhaven is the story of a country made up of far-flung islands that uses "flyers", people equipped with metal wings, for communication. The main character off the novel upsets the balance of power and social order of her nation and must deal with the consequences.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a well-written fantasy novel.
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: What are you reading? 2006/11/30 19:36:11 (permalink)
I just finished Sue Grafton's "S Is For Silence" and am working on Walter Isaacson's biography on Benjamin Franklin.
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/01 18:08:30 (permalink)
I just finished "Brainiac", by Ken Jennings, the guy who was a winner on Jeopardy for over 2 months!! Pretty Fascinating history of "trivia". He also talks about his record breaking run on TV. Very well written from a Morman computer programmer.(really!)
Mike
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 11:08:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

I just finished "Brainiac", by Ken Jennings, the guy who was a winner on Jeopardy for over 2 months!! Pretty Fascinating history of "trivia". He also talks about his record breaking run on TV. Very well written from a Morman computer programmer.(really!)
Mike

I really enjoyed "Brainiac", NAAMikey. Do you read Ken's blog?
www.ken-jennings.com

He seems like a really down to earth likable guy.

I've been reading a good bit of Jack Finney. I finished From Time to Time last week. It's the sequel to Time and Again and just as good as the original.

I also read Finney's The Night People which was a good little read. It's about a group of young suburbanites who become bored with their lives and begin venturing out in the middle of the night seeking to liven up their lives.

Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Gene Wolfe's The Knight and Lisa Tuttle's The Pillow Friend. I'm enjoying them both, the Tuttle book a little more. I like Gene Wolfe but I'm beginning to suspect he's just too damn smart for me. I feel like I'm missing something, some understanding, sometimes when I read him.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 11:57:09 (permalink)
Just finished Nelson Demille's "Wildfire". This one will give you something to think about! He takes his time writing but it was worth the wait. It's a page turner like all his work. I think so anyway. Though I liked "Plum Island" and "The Generals Daughter" better.

Last week I got through "The Swarm" by Frank Something-or-Other. The translation from German is pretty decent. Pretty good read. Unbelievable research went into this story about monkeying around with and poking Mother Nature in the eye.

Started Steven Kings "Lisey's Story" but I might have to admit failure on this one. So far it lacks any of his sense of humor. By that I mean maybe this one should have come with medication. I'm still drudging through the set up...I hope that's what it is. I'm giving it another chapter or two.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 13:16:49 (permalink)
Pat, give "Lisey's Story" a little while longer. I really enjoyed it. My biggest problem with it was the made up vocabulary that the husband and wife use. King used the word (not that it is a word, but still) "smuckin'" way too often. Other than that, I thought it was a really strong novel from him.

King is one of my favorite novelists. I'm very glad that he's still writing and publishing.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 13:55:19 (permalink)
just began reading "My Life as a Furry Red Monster" by Kevin Clash (the guy who manipulates and is the voice for Elmo)
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 15:18:59 (permalink)
Just got the following 2.
Wilderness-The Lost writings of Jim Morrison
(The poems and diaries)
And...
Riders On The Storm By John Densmore
(My life with Jim Morrison and The Doors)
(who was the Doors drummer)
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 16:09:28 (permalink)
Scorereader, I saw Clash and then Elmo in your post and instantly pictured a furry red Muppet belting out "London Calling" and "Rock the Casbah". It was a funny image so thanks for that.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 16:41:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Pat, give "Lisey's Story" a little while longer. I really enjoyed it. My biggest problem with it was the made up vocabulary that the husband and wife use. King used the word (not that it is a word, but still) "smuckin'" way too often. Other than that, I thought it was a really strong novel from him.

King is one of my favorite novelists. I'm very glad that he's still writing and publishing.

You talked me into it you silver tongued devil. I already know what you mean about the couple speak. I was hoping it would stop soon.
On the other hand the style he's writing in seems to be a kind of classic style. Retro in a way from a different era. Not so much poetic as content. I think that's what I mean! What I admire about his writing is he's not afraid to try something different. Writing in the third person in Delores Claiborn for example and the Green Mile series and so on. That to me takes some guts, no matter how popular you are. Maybe especially if your that popular!

I'll keep at it and wait for the turn. I've got the new Michael Connelly "Echo Park" at the ready if my head starts to swell.
Thanks for the pep talk!
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/11 17:22:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Just finished Nelson Demille's "Wildfire". This one will give you something to think about! He takes his time writing but it was worth the wait. It's a page turner like all his work. I think so anyway. Though I liked "Plum Island" and "The Generals Daughter" better.

The Library just called and "Wildfire" is in for me so I look forward to reading it. I've enjoyed all of DeMille's past offerings.

I also just picked up. "Last In Their Class: Custer, Pickett and the Goats of West Point.: by James S. Robbins.

And just finished "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck & also "Confederates in the Attic" by Tony Horwitz.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1