What are you reading?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 25, messages 421 to 480 of 1470
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
  • Reward points : 0
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/17/07 1:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I just started reading "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan Eckart, which is about the history of the Ohio river. I actually came recommended to me by a guy I sat next to on an airplane. It is a little dry so far, but it is interesting learning more about the history of the area I am from.

Eckert is a local favorite here in Ohio. I've read a couple of his books. He is a matchless researcher, but his writing is terribly dry.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9778
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/17/07 1:33 PM
CajunKing & jmckee-
About a month ago, Mr. Eckert was on a local Pittsburgh radio talk show. The show host is a big fan of the book and was asking him to comment on specific incidents from the book. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to remember too much. I imagine it because he has written so much on so many different topics, it is difficult to remember every detail.

Thanks for the tip on his other books. If I enjoy reading the rest of this one, I will definitely pick up his others.

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/17/07 11:31 PM
I finally finished Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys. I really liked it. It's not nearly as good as the Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. OTOH, it's way better than The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, his first novel, which I disliked intensely.

I started Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon last night.

LuckyLabrador
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 08/20/07 5:48 PM
I just discovered Brad Thor, He's right up there with Vince Flynn!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/24/07 11:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

I finally finished Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys. I really liked it. It's not nearly as good as the Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. OTOH, it's way better than The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, his first novel, which I disliked intensely.

Curiously, I just finished Mr. Chabon's latest work"The Yiddish Policemen's Union". It is an imaginative work, positing a Jewish settlement in the Sitka, Alaska area in a world where Israel lost the 1948 War. It is a Chandleresque mystery where a down and out policeman investigates the murder of another resident of the flophouse where he lives. It also creates a society based on the Yiddish worlds of the 30's and updates it to the present day. It is a great read.

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/24/07 11:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

quote:

Curiously, I just finished Mr. Chabon's latest work"The Yiddish Policemen's Union". It is an imaginative work, positing a Jewish settlement in the Sitka, Alaska area in a world where Israel lost the 1948 War. It is a Chandleresque mystery where a down and out policeman investigates the murder of another resident of the flophouse where he lives. It also creates a society based on the Yiddish worlds of the 30's and updates it to the present day. It is a great read.

Oh, I am so glad to hear that M. Chabon's book is good. It is in the stack I just got. As soon as I finish my current book, The Terror by Dan Simmons, I will start it.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/24/07 2:13 PM
I really liked The Yiddish Policeman's Union, mr. chips.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 08/24/07 3:47 PM
Last night I finished M.F.K. Fisher's Long Ago in France. I'll definitely be reading more of her.

Started George Singleton's collection Drowning in Gruel. I like him a lot. He guest taught my high school creative writing class for a couple days years ago. I just found out that he lives in my neck of the woods now. His stories are usually very funny looks at life in the South.

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? - Sun, 08/26/07 8:25 AM
quote:

Last night I finished M.F.K. Fisher's Long Ago in France. I'll definitely be reading more of her.

Started George Singleton's collection Drowning in Gruel. I like him a lot. He guest taught my high school creative writing class for a couple days years ago. I just found out that he lives in my neck of the woods now. His stories are usually very funny looks at life in the South.

I LOVE M.F.K. Fischer's writing. Don't miss the collection of her writings "The Art of Eating". Also, "Two Towns in Provence". She translated Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's "Physiology of Taste" (originally published in 1825), which is fascinating and amusing.

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? - Sun, 08/26/07 8:26 AM
I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible". It grabbed me on the first page and hasn't let go of me yet.

jofie
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: What are you reading? - Sun, 08/26/07 5:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Has anybody read "Secrets"?

Are you referring to "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne? If so, I have read it and found it helpful in the problems of life and very interesting. I will refer to it when I'm in a funk.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 08/28/07 11:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible". It grabbed me on the first page and hasn't let go of me yet.

I need to read some Kingsolver. I really enjoyed her chapter in the book about The Rock Bottom Remainders, the band that featured her, Stephen King, Dave Barry, and a host of other writers as members.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 09/3/07 5:01 PM
Last night, I finished George Singleton's "Novel". I liked it quite a bit but it's definitely not his strongest work. There's a large section where the plot kind of jerks to a stop and the ending isn't spectacular either. Still, it has funny bits. I'd recommend any of his short story collections over this.

Speaking of short story collections, I finished Howard Waldrop's "Howard Who?" collection today. He's great. Funny well-researched stories involving some very strange, and famous, characters. I'm going to add a bunch of his stuff to my Amazon shopping cart.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 09/8/07 4:49 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I think it is excellent so far.

The other day, I sat down and read K.L. Going's Fat Kid Rules the World, a young adult novel. I interviewed her a few months back after our local school board banned the book from all school libraries, citing language and sexuality concerns.

After reading the book, I have to say they overreacted. There's no sex in the book and any sexual thoughts that the main character has are completely typical of a 17 year old male. The language, while there is some foul words, completely served the characters and the story being told. I didn't think it was gratuitous at all.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 09/8/07 5:12 PM
I just finished Generation Loss, by Elizabeth Hand. Very well written, very harsh book about a washed up almost famous photographer. I couldn't stop thinking about it for awhile after the last page.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Sun, 09/9/07 1:21 PM
Finished The Lovely Bones last night. I loved it.

I'm about 80 pages into Angela's Ashes. I really like it so far. McCourt is really skilled at balancing humor and sadness, sometimes in the same paragraph.

I'm trying to read all the unread books on my shelves before buying any more books. After Angela's Ashes, I might start the Pickwick Papers.

Neesie
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 09/10/07 3:56 PM
quote:

I'm about 80 pages into Angela's Ashes. I really like it so far. McCourt is really skilled at balancing humor and sadness, sometimes in the same paragraph.

I'm so happy that you like Angela's Ashes. It's on my list of favorites. In addition to reading it I also got the CD version and listened to it in my car. Hearing it read in McCourt's Irish Brouge was a treat in itself!

Neesie
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 09/10/07 4:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

I love this thread. I usually check it out before we head to the library.

I finally read Water for Elephants and I enjoyed it. The writing is beautiful.

I'm currently reading The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, a funny memoir by Bill Bryson.

Next up is Peter Ackroyd's biography of Charles Dickens.

Someone is going to loan me "Water for Elephants"; can't wait to read it. The same person loaned me "Just One More Day" by Mitch Albom and I just loved it! If that doesn't depict a mother's love, I don't know what does! Called my mom three times during the weekend I was reading it!

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 10/2/07 5:26 PM

Just started the book "My Grandfather's Son," by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Looks to be a facinating and inspiring read!

DD

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 11/5/07 2:46 PM
Finished Angela's Ashes this morning. I really liked it.

I'm reading Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue: The English Language and how it got that way. It's a really interesting book, though it does lack a lot of the humor of the other Bryson stuff I've read.

Pat T Hat
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 11/5/07 3:59 PM
Starting "Steve and Me" by Terry Irwin. I sure did like that guy!

I discovered Harlan Coben not all that long ago and just finished the last of his work to date.
He's got a good sense of humor and keeps his stories interesting and tight.

Next up is Vince Flynn with his new "Protect and Defend"

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 11/6/07 12:18 PM
I'm finally reading Jeffrey Steingarten's "The Man Who Ate Everything," and am enjoying every page. And frequently laughing out loud.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 11/6/07 12:33 PM
I keep meaning to start Iggy Pop: Open Up and Bleed by Paul Trynka. I downloaded it on audiobook, but a couple days later I stopped commuting 45 minutes each way and haven't been able to find time to set aside to listen to it.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 11/6/07 2:46 PM
Let me know how that is, Mosca. I love Iggy Pop.

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 11/6/07 2:47 PM
Net of Jewels by Ellen Gihlchrist. She is back to her power in this one.

Louis
  • Total Posts : 713
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 11/6/07 11:02 PM
Just finished reading the Hardy Boys # 4, "The Missing Chums" by Franklin W. Dixon. Only took 45 years to get around to reading it. It was worth the wait.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 11/7/07 8:39 AM
quote:

Let me know how that is, Mosca. I love Iggy Pop.

I tried listening to it again last night, but I keep falling asleep 20 minutes into it (because I'm laying in bed). The prologue is awesome; it starts at the "Metallic KO" show, in '74 in Detroit, the last Stooges show. It then jumps back to when James Osterberg was voted "most likely to succeed" in high school, and that is where I've nodded off twice. I'm gonna have to read it, because it's great, but there's no way to listen to an audiobook unless I have a long commute, preferably on a bus or train.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 11/7/07 12:04 PM
I'm "reading", that is, I'm skipping around in, Feneon's, A Novel In Three Lines. It is a quietly hilarious book of short news items from a French newspaper of about 100 years ago - perfect for keeping next to the toilet...

Mbrooks: I think Gilchrist's, Victory Over Japan, is one of the most delightful and funny books I've ever read - was not aware that Net Of Jewels had been published and cant wait to give it a read.

Desertdog: I just finished the Clarence Thomas book. an interesting and useful autobiography, but the bitterness is really disturbing.

Cheers, John

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 11/7/07 1:35 PM
seafarer john, if you liked Victory Over Japan, try I Can't Get You Close Enough and Light Can Be Both Wave and Particle.
I think I've read all her books, and have enjoyed them all... just some more than others. I like the stories better than the novels.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 11/23/07 9:06 PM
I'm reading The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction, a recent used book sale find. I really like it. It's got a great Harlan Ellison short story, "Soft Monkey".

Louis
RE: What are you reading? - Sat, 11/24/07 8:41 AM
"Hunting for Hidden Gold" (1928), # 5 in the Hardy Boys mystery canon. I am impressed that with each succeeding title the stories keep improving. Only the first title in the series, I found, was rather weak.

I also read "Dashing Diamond Dick and Other Classic Dime Novels" (2007) edited by J. Randolph Cox. This is an excellent introduction to anyone interested reading dime novel texts from the 1870-1915 period.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 11/26/07 10:36 PM
I just started Territory by Emma Bull. It's a novel about Wyatt Earp and his days in Tombstone. I really like it so far. Bull just introduced a touch of magic to the plot and I'm interested to see where she takes it.

After this, I'll switch off between George Singleton's new novel "Work shirts for Madmen" and Conrad's Lord Jim.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 12/31/07 7:26 PM
My Christmas loot includes.

No Reservations by Anthony Bourdain

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Drink: A Social History of America by Andrew Barr

Single Malt Scotch by Bill Milne and Roddy Martine

So I have lots of reading to do now.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 12/31/07 8:24 PM
Patricia Cornwell- The Book of Death

Louis
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 12:23 AM
Behind That Curtain (1928) by Earl Derr Biggers. It's the 3rd Charlie Chan mystery.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 2:45 PM
The Hidden Family, by Charles Stross.

Medieval mafia-like crime family in a multiple universe setting.

MiamiDon
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 2:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

I'm currently reading books from Bernard Cornwell specifically his Richard Sharpe novels. Cornwell writes historical fiction. He takes his characters and places them in a fact based historical setting. The original Sharpe series was set in the Portuga/Spanish war against Napoleon in the 1812 - 15 timeframe. Sharpe is a British soldier fighting with Lord (to be) Wellington. More Sharpe books came out later with him in India in the 1803 - 05 timeframe.

MikeS.

I love all of the Cornwell historical fiction novels. I first read one of the Sharpes, and then researched and read them in chronological order. Then I went through the Arthur books, the Grail Quest series, Stonehenge, and now the Saxon stories. Great stuff.

MiamiDon
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 3:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

The last two were Jefferson and Jackson. Good reading, about 2 great presidents !!!! Great books are treasures.

Last summer I read "Master and Commander" (they made a good movie of the same name a few years ago) by Patrick O'Brien. It took a little while to get used to the language because Mr. O'Brien used the English of 1800 even though the book was written in the 1990's, how difficult must that have been. It was one of those "can't put it down books".

But then I found it was the first of 20 volumes relating the adventures of the two heros and their families--I felt as if I knew them all well. Mr O'B died during the writing of book 21 and with him he took both families --- what a shame, I missed them.

I sent 3 copies of the book to 3 friends who read and appreciate good literature. From those three at least one lad bought the whole series of 21 and God knows how many more were bought to add to Mr O'B's estate.

Some others I have read and liked and passed on-----------

Pillars of the Earth by Koontz (wonderful)
Angels of Death--Michael Shaara (didn't know he wrote two others, I will look for them)
All of John Grisholm, and Robert Parker, Jack Higgins,
and Dick Francis (one of the best), and John MacDonald, and Lawrence Sanders.

I agree completely on Clancy and Ludlam---both names are spoiled forever. Money has ruined them. I have liked some of Clive Cussler and Dale Brown but not all.

Read all of Mary Higgins Clarke, and Michael Connelly (saw his new one in Borders yesterday)
Loved Inspector Morse stories written by Colin Dexter
and Sue Graftons little lady PT Kinsey

Started reading during grammar school vacations with Agatha Christe and SS VanDyne, went through Zane Grey and Raphiel Sabatini and then Hemingway, James Cain and Howard Fast etc.etc. Have always found reading better than a sleeping draught (as Hercule Poirot would say), and so to bed !!!!!!!!!

If you are still working your way through the Aubrey/Maturin series, I recommend A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian

I've read the series four times.

Oh, and there is Lobscouse and Spotted Dog the companion cookbook.

MiamiDon
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 3:25 PM
quote:

Pwings---maybe you and I (other than Crichton) are the only ones who realize how we are being
taken for a ride. Keep plugging !!!! I am !!!!!!

That makes three of us.

AllysonChains
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 5:10 PM
Blood Lust ~ Sheila Johnson

It's a True Crime story.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/1/08 9:33 PM
"A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions of a Freethinking Roughneck"
By Trace Adkins

"Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook"
By Georgeanne Brennan

"To See You Again"
By Betty Schimmel and Joyce Gabriel
This one will get to you, my wife could only read so far into it before crying and stopping for a while. It is based on the true story of Betty Schimmel (mother of Comedian Robert Schimmel).

It is the story of a Holocaust survivor who clung to a romance for the strength to stay alive, even as she witnessed devastation and death around her.

She fell in love as a young teenager during World War II. She ultimately survived the horrors of the Holocaust, only to hear that the object of her affection had been killed. Following the war, she married another man, moved with him to the United States and raised a family.

Thirty years later, on a visit to Budapest, Hungary, she encountered her childhood boyfriend, the man she thought had died. That reunion is the basis of "To See You Again."

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 01/2/08 10:32 AM
Finished Kim Newman's Anno Dracula last night. It's great. It takes place in a world where Dracula has taken over England. It's funny in places, scary in others and has a great pace. It's really fun to play "spot the historical or fictional character" throughout the book, as Kim works in references to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Moreau, to name just two. Highly recommended.

Now I'm bouncing back and forth between "Mad Mary Lamb", a non-fiction book by Susan Tyler Hitchcock, and "Soon I will be invincible" by Austin Grossman.

Mad Mary Lamb is a well-researched examination of the life of Mary Lamb,a woman who, under intense pressure and strain, killed her mother in the early 1800s. I'm enjoying it so far.

Soon I will be invincible is great so far. A comic book in novel form, the book alternates chapters between Dr. Impossible, an evil supergenius and Fatale, a rookie on a superhero team. Can't wait to get back to it.

Pat T Hat
RE: What are you reading? - Wed, 01/2/08 12:59 PM
I'm reading at the moment Denis Johsons's "Tree of Smoke", it's excellent.

It follows two brothers and a CIA psy/op guy through a twenty year period starting in 1963 at the Kennedy assasination and our beginning involvement in Vietnam.

It reminds me a lot of Catch-22 in it's "style" for lack of a better word, and his Heller like characters...or so I think so far.
Dialog is very snappy!

Just finished "The Venetian Betrayal" by Steve Berry.
It was alright but not as good as "The Alexandria Link" or "The Templar Legacy".

Pretty good escapism with enough real history (he does his homework) that balances the drama.
This guy's a decent writer with an interesting character in ex-justice agent, turned rare book dealer, Cotton Malone.

I don't care all that much for serial characters or too many series/serial like writing but so far I'm satisfied enough to look for his other work that I've missed.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 01/3/08 11:05 AM
I've heard great things about Tree of Smoke, Pat.

Finished Soon I will be invincible last night. It was very good, a strong debut from the author, Austin Grossman. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more from him.

sudie
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 01/3/08 11:13 AM
Just finished Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. Excellent, although maybe not quite as good as Empire Falls. I'm mostly through Suite Francaise, a masterfully crafted book about the German occupation of France. It is exceptionally interesting as the author herself was a victim of the Jewish persecution by the Nazis. The book is unfinished, but her daughters saved the manuscript and so it survives today. I have On Chesill Beach and Cheating at Canasta waiting on my nightstand.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/8/08 9:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

Pwings---maybe you and I (other than Crichton) are the only ones who realize how we are being
taken for a ride. Keep plugging !!!! I am !!!!!!

That makes three of us.

That makes four of us. I finished State of Fear yesterday. The plot may be a tad hokey, but the facts (with footnotes and bibliography) that are worked in make it a must read. pb

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/8/08 11:10 AM
Porkbeaks

Excellent article in the NY Times, of all places, calling Gore and his cohorts--"availability entrepreneurs". Blaming every natural disaster in the world on Global Warming these doom and gloom merchants are scaring people when there is no real evidence to support the claims. Crichton's book is right on. The article is entitled "In 2008, a 100 Percent Chance of Alarm" and was published on
Jan 1st.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/8/08 12:18 PM
I finished an excellent book last night, Xinran's The Good Women of China.

XInran, who know writes for London's The Guardian, hosted a popular show on Chinese radio for years. Through her show, she was able to collect stories of women throughout her country. Through these stories, she was able to address, on the air, topics such as homosexuality, marriage, happiness, sex and love, topics that were usually censored, if not outright forbidden by the state-controlled radio.

The Good Women of China is a collection of some of those stories. I found it both eye-opening and heartbreaking. I think too often, we toss around the word "oppressed" when we're speaking of the Chinese people, without having an ounce of understanding of what the people are actually going through. I know I've been guilty of this.

These lives of the women Xinran writes about are awful. Treated like property, condemned for life if a neighbor catches them being kissed on the forehead by a boyfriend, subject to sexual abuses by husbands who consider them "old gray rags", the stories here are hard to read, yet essential. Anyone who can read the chapter on the women of Shouting Hill village without shuddering in disgust as a stronger constitution than I.

Highly recommended.

improviser
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 01/14/08 2:13 PM
I finished The Bloody Red Baron, the sequel to Kim Newman's Anno Dracula, over the weekend. It's terrific. World War I as played out in a world ruled by vampires, Newman once again takes his own characters, throws them in established characters from fiction and movies, and comes out with something greatly entertaining. Highly recommended for fans of horror and alternative history.

Pat T Hat
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 01/14/08 4:20 PM
quote:

I've heard great things about Tree of Smoke, Pat.

They are true...I bet you'll love it, a really great read!

Finished "The Abduction" last night. A pretty decent 2nd book by Mark Gimenez (I have to find his first "Color of Law" now).

It's about a ten tear old girl being kidnapped and her father, a new techno billionair and grandfather, an ex vietnam green beret, who have been estranged from one another searching for her.

It's has a few moments of convenience (what's the term..deus ex machina?) but this guy can certainly write.

Also read "Last Night at the Lobster" written by the dude that co-authored the book with Stephen King about the Boston Red Sox.
Critics liked it...I'll only say that's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back (it's really a novella).

It might be that since I've worked in food most of my life it was just another day at work (with out pay) and just I could'nt wait to clock out.

On the other hand if you have ever worked or like to eat at Red Lobster it might just be up your cheddar biscuits.

Starting "Heart Sick" by Chelsea Cain...has a hot lady serial killer...who doesn't just love those!

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
RE: What are you reading? - Mon, 01/14/08 5:54 PM
Whatever Stuart Woods latest release is, can't remember the name

MiamiDon
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/15/08 10:52 AM
Two for the Road, by Jane & Michael Stern.

I bought it on a whim, from Amazon.com, and I really like it. It has been out for a while, and I hadn't understood that it is mostly a memoir, with roadfood recipes thrown in as a bonus. I thought it was just a collection of restaurant reviews. There are lots of funny bits about things they encounter on their travels. Who knew that they started out in an old Suburban, with camping gear? And that they had fears about traveling in the South, after seeing Easy Rider? Or that Jane wanted to bring an oxygen mask for travel to Colorado?

Great stuff - highly recommended to Roadfood.com devotees who have not already read it.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/15/08 10:58 AM
I've re-picked up Julia Child's book: My Life in France.
I started it some time ago, but got busy in the evenings and had no time to read. So, I've started it over again. At this point in the book, she has started taking French language classes. (I'm pretty early on in the book.)

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/15/08 6:08 PM
Mississippi Mud by Edward Humes - it was just riveting, a train wreck of a book I couldn't put down. True crime story of the 1987 murders of Biloxi attorney and judge Vincent Sherry, and his mayoral candidate wife, Margaret.

The Pat Conroy Cookbook - more than just recipes, a lot of background information on his family, writing career, places that left impressions on him, people he's known throughout his life, and what looks like some really good dishes to try.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: What are you reading? - Tue, 01/15/08 6:13 PM
I just finished Single Malt Scotch by Bill Milne and Roddy Martine. It was an informative but very easy afternoon read because most of the book was outstanding photography of Scotland and its distilleries.

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 01/17/08 1:09 PM
I just finished In at the Death (I don't know how to bold face the title) by Harry Turtledove. It is, IMO, not his best work, or even the best of the series but it does clean up loose ends. I liked the series enough to buy this final installment in hardcover. Local libraries only have a few copies and looong waiting lists. I'll give my copy to the local library next time I go.

termays
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 01/17/08 2:16 PM
I've been reading a lot of biographies lately, not sure why. Last one was about John Wilkes Booth, next up is director Otto Preminger.

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What are you reading? - Thu, 01/17/08 3:12 PM
If anyone here likes American History I can highly recommend the Shaara
father and son duo. Michael's book "The Killer Angels" was the basis
for the TV Documentary Gettysburg and son Jeff has gone on from there.

Starting with the events leading up to the Revolutionary War and taking
us to WW2 these books are novels based on fact. If I had found them when
I was in school I would have been an A student in American History.
Easy reading and full of info. I am learning a lot about Ben Franklin,
John Adams and a hero I had never heard about Col Joshua Chamberlain, who
with Gen US Grant were probably the biggest Union heros of the Civil War.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 01/18/08 1:50 AM
Dearfolk,
My last three books have been (in this order, basically, but a bit of back-and-forth):
1) "The Temple Bombing" -- Melissa Fay Greene.
2) "Florida's Flagler" -- S. Walter Martin.
3) "Oranges" -- John McPhee.
Right now (not literally -- I'm at the library right now!), I'm thumbing randomly through an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.
Hurriedly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: What are you reading? - Fri, 01/18/08 11:06 AM
quote:

If anyone here likes American History I can highly recommend the Shaara
father and son duo. Michael's book "The Killer Angels" was the basis
for the TV Documentary Gettysburg and son Jeff has gone on from there.

Starting with the events leading up to the Revolutionary War and taking
us to WW2 these books are novels based on fact. If I had found them when
I was in school I would have been an A student in American History.
Easy reading and full of info. I am learning a lot about Ben Franklin,
John Adams and a hero I had never heard about Col Joshua Chamberlain, who
with Gen US Grant were probably the biggest Union heros of the Civil War.

Thanks! I hadn't realized that they had done a WW2 book. They do bting history to life, much as Herman Wouk did.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 25, messages 421 to 480 of 1470