Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 51
Author
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/12 00:29:25 (permalink)
Just picked up (for the fifth time), "A Day Late, A Dollar Short" by Terry McMillan. Have nothing new left to read and it's too close to Christmas to risk buying something new, in case someone's gotten it for me as a gift. My family knows me too well.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/12 13:01:42 (permalink)
I finished Lisa Tuttle's The Pillow Friend. I enjoyed it very much. At first, it seemed like a young adult novel but then ventured into some very strange and dark territory. The ending was a little blah but I liked the heroine quite a bit.

Tonight I might start Octavia Butler's Kindred. I haven't read any good science fiction in a long time.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/15 11:20:49 (permalink)
It's been way too long since I was kidnapped by a book. You know you need to go to sleep but you also are so engrossed by the story that you keep reading, keep turning pages to find out what happens next.

Kindred by Octavia Butler kidnapped me.

I got into bed the other night meaning to only read thirty or so pages. I've been sleeping terribly lately and desperately needed a few extra hours of sleep. So I got into bed at 8:45, meaning to turn the lights out at 9:15 or so.

260 pages and two and half hours later, I finished the book. It was so good. The story of a young black woman who is linked to a young white boy growing up in the pre-Civil War South. She is yanked back in time ever time the boy is in physical danger.

Nothing in this book turns out the way you think it will. You'd think the friendship she forges with the boy after she saves him would be a good thing. You'd be wrong.

Octavia Butler died earlier this year after a fall. I have no idea if any of her other books are good but it doesn't matter. Kindred is legacy enough.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/15 17:16:00 (permalink)
This time of year I always reread

Charles Dicken "A Christmas Carol in Prose, Being a Ghost Story of Christmas"

useless trivia about the book:

Originally written as a "potboiler", a work written to make money to pay bills.

Dickens needed to pay off a debt so he wrote it. It sold nearly 6000 copies in a weeks time.

To date since December 19, 1843 this work has sold millions of copies and continues to be an ever present Christmas story.

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/18 11:57:52 (permalink)
cajunking,

"A Christmas Carol" is truly a classic. Most of the movies are great in their own way but I don't think of them can top the book.

I love Dickens. One of my favorite stories of his is about a chair that comes to life and helps out the man staying in the same room as the chair. I forget the title. It's a great story.

There's a tradition in Britain of reading stories of the uncanny and supernatural out loud on Christmas Eve. I wish we did that here in the States. It'd be a great way to get kids interested in reading during the holidays, and not just focused on toys, toys, toys.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/18 12:40:10 (permalink)
I finished "Lisey's Story" as I mentioned on the Stephen King thread. Thanks Improviser, I was not disappointed. Took him (me) just a bit longer to get to the meat of it. Was a rather happy book over all. Liked Amanda a lot.

Read a couple Kathy Reichs, eh. Though she is pretty witty.

Michael Connelly's "Echo Park" was pretty good. Harry Bosch does it again. What can I say, I can't help liking Harry.

Started "Nature Girl" by Carl Hiaasen. If you like an Elmore Leonard style read, this is should blow your dress up. I know the main gal Honey. He must have met my blushing bride and used her as a reference! What a trip!
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/18 15:16:03 (permalink)
Just finished The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Sweet read. Not as good as The Notebook though. That one had me crying and laughing.

I think I'm done with the chick, sappy novels for a bit. Back to murder mysteries with my favs, Faye Kellerman and her husband Jonathan Kellerman and now their son Jesse is writing as well!

On my book menu:

Gone by Jonathan Kellerman
Rage by Jonathan Kellerman
False Prophet by Faye Kellerman
and
Sunstroke by Jesse Kellerman

Should keep me busy for a few days. One of my promises to myself that the holidays were not going to be so hectic :-)
JT1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 227
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/19 08:53:19 (permalink)
I just finished Driving with Shannon by Sven Robinson (Publish America press), kind of a road-trip book about two young punk rockers from Maine trying to find a scene where they fit in.

It's hard to find books in English where I am, so I'm going nuts without a read. Last night I found a place with a few titles and got The Boy Who kicked Pigs by Tom Baker(?) Former Dr. Who. Funny, yet graphic, yet ironic. Finished it in one sitting. I also got Carrie by S. King, since I never read it. Can't wait to be back in the state where there are libraries!!

I recommend Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Jesus' Childhood Friend, Biff. It's hilarious. Some may find it irreverent, but they guy did his research.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 09:55:43 (permalink)
I started Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon over the holiday weekend. I'm not very far into the book yet but I'm enjoying it. In the first part of his travels across the backroads of America, he spends some time in Kentucky, which is where we were headed for Christmas. It was neat to read a paragraph about, say, the origins of the city of Frankfort's name, and then look around at the beautiful Kentucky scenery. I was born in Fort Knox and though I haven't lived there since I was three or so, I guess I'm a Kentucky boy at heat.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10398
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 10:04:51 (permalink)
NAAMikey & improviser-
I received the Ken Jennings book as a present for Christmas. I received about a half dozen books, but that is the one I plan on starting on first. I am really looking forward to it!
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 11:27:35 (permalink)
I think you'll enjoy Brainiac, buffetbuster. And your post reminded me to check his blog. Good stuff.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 12:46:05 (permalink)
Just started Carl Hiaasen "Sick Puppy" and finished his "Stormy Weather". This guy's a trip. As I had noted in an earlier post, he reminds me a little of Elmore Leonard. I'm glad I found him.

I'm going to be starting Nathaniel Philbrick's "Mayflower". It looks to be a great read.

Hey improviser, ya'll need to come back home to the Bluegrass son. I'm fairly certain that I'm (though it's true I can only speak for myself) "in heat" in my 'ol Kentucky Home!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 13:44:51 (permalink)
I'm reading "Bound Away, Virginia and the Westward Movement" by David Hackett Fischer and James C. Kelly. It is a follow up to "Albion's Seed, Four British Folkways in America" by Fischer. It is giving me some insight to my ancestors (surname) arriving in Virginia in 1684 and migrating to Kentucky shortly after 1778. I try to vary my reading with history or I would be reading mysteries all the time.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10398
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 14:49:47 (permalink)
improviser-
Thanks for the tip on Ken Jenning's blog. I checked it out and it is one of the better written ones I have seen. And now, I like him even more since I found out he is as big a Preston Sturges fan as I am.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/26 15:08:18 (permalink)
Preston Sturges was a genius. How many of his have I seen? Sullivan's Travels (still my favorite), The Lady Eve, Unfaithfully Yours (a close second), Christmas in July, The Miracle at Morgan's Creek, The Palm Beach Story, each and every one a gem.
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/28 00:04:00 (permalink)
If any of you out there are veterans of any war, I must thank you. I have been reading about the Vietnam war and WWII a lot lately. I just finished "Flags of our Fathers", and can not believe what those men on Iwo Jima went through. Thanks again to all the Veterans, wherever you may be. Let us never forget the cost of freedom.
Mike
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/28 19:29:17 (permalink)
I just finished "Hannibal Rising" by Thomas Harris (yes, the infamous "Hannibal The Cannibal" best known from "Silence of the Lambs"). There's two hours of my life I can't get back. I liked "Hannibal" but ... this was just really bad. Maybe the movie will be better. Then again, maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/29 04:19:57 (permalink)
Just finished Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton. I like the Anita Baker books better. I've GOT to get to the library since I have no cash and no new books!

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/29 16:23:45 (permalink)
Am half-way through Brother Odd, once of Koontz's latests.

Did anyone read Michael Crichton's State of Fear? And found it amazingly good sense?
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: What are you reading? 2006/12/29 17:14:34 (permalink)
"Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil" by Michael C. Ruppert

Enlightening (but, heavy) reading. -pb
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/05 11:55:14 (permalink)
I've heard that the new Hannibal book is awful, Mandalay.

As for me, well, I broke down, gave up on the free book giveaway, and checked out Tony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits yesterday. It's great, a collection of essays and travel pieces on subjects as varied from Robert Downey, Jr. to Vietnam to traveling on a cruise ship for the supermegarich. Great writing, that, as always, made me really hungry.

Midway, through the book, I decided a trip to Super Taco was in order. Super Taco is the best little Mexican place in my neck of the woods. I hadn't been there for ages. I decided to go, and order things off the menu that I'd never tried before. A Tony Bourdain kind of meal.

But when I got there, they were closed! A sign told me they'd be back on the 15th. But I'm hungry now! I want adventure! I want deliciousness!

So I went to the local Chinese buffet. I know, I know, boring. But wait! They had spicy octopus on the buffet. I've never seen them offer this before. I piled some on my plate. A little rubbery, as octopus tends to be, but the sauce was spicy and flavorful. I sat, chewed my octopus, and continued reading.

It wasn't truly a Bourdain meal but it was something different for a Thursday night in Clemson, SC.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/05 21:56:41 (permalink)
I am now on my fourth Colonial American history book in a row. I'm reading 1776 by David McCullough.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/06 00:02:55 (permalink)
hmmm. i'm reading the memoirs of two young married women by balzac, i want to find out why the mayor's wife in the music man was so against such filthy writing.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/06 04:35:24 (permalink)
Guns & Ammo.

MikeS.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/06 08:27:19 (permalink)
I love this thread. I usually check it out before we head to the library.

I finally read Water for Elephants and I enjoyed it. The writing is beautiful.

I'm currently reading The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, a funny memoir by Bill Bryson.

Next up is Peter Ackroyd's biography of Charles Dickens.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/08 15:40:08 (permalink)
I love Bill Bryson, Sandy. I need to check out A Short History of Nearly Everything again, try to finish it this time.

I read Lewis Black's book Nothing Sacred the other day. I've got tickets to see him when he comes to Greenville next month; I'm a big fan of him. Nothing Sacred is more of an autobiography than a straight make-you-laugh book but there are still funny bits. It was really interesting to read about his early life. Comedy is just something he stumbled into.

Also read Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff, a contributor to This American Life. His humor is a drier sort but he's very witty. Some very good essays here.

I'm still working on Blue Highways. It's my read a few pages before going to bed book.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/08 18:45:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

I love Bill Bryson, Sandy. I need to check out A Short History of Nearly Everything again, try to finish it this time.

I read Lewis Black's book Nothing Sacred the other day. I've got tickets to see him when he comes to Greenville next month; I'm a big fan of him. Nothing Sacred is more of an autobiography than a straight make-you-laugh book but there are still funny bits. It was really interesting to read about his early life. Comedy is just something he stumbled into.

Also read Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff, a contributor to This American Life. His humor is a drier sort but he's very witty. Some very good essays here.

I'm still working on Blue Highways. It's my read a few pages before going to bed book.

I'll look up Lewis Black the next time I go to the library. I'll also look for David Rakoff. Have you read Sara Vowell's books, "Take the Cannoli" and "Assassination Vacation"? I enjoyed both of them...much irony and some laugh out loud stuff.

I really liked "Blue Highways". I read it about the same time that I read Bryson's "Lost Continent". I'm a sucker for a good road trip.

I also read before bedtime but sometimes I find myself falling asleep by the the second page, which explains my slow progress. No insomnia here.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/09 09:55:06 (permalink)
Sandy, I am a huge Sarah Vowell fan. I've got the Assassination Vacation audiobook and have listened to it at least 5 times all the way through. I love her pieces for This American Life as well. Did you know she was the voice of Violet Incredible in The Incredibles?

I hope she comes out with a new book soon. I've read all her other ones.

EDIT: According to her wikipedia entry, her next book will be called Puritan Nation.
sheiladdoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/09 16:37:17 (permalink)
The Purpose Driven Live by Rick Warren
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2007/01/09 18:43:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Sandy, I am a huge Sarah Vowell fan. I've got the Assassination Vacation audiobook and have listened to it at least 5 times all the way through. I love her pieces for This American Life as well. Did you know she was the voice of Violet Incredible in The Incredibles?

I hope she comes out with a new book soon. I've read all her other ones.

EDIT: According to her wikipedia entry, her next book will be called Puritan Nation.

Thanks for the tip on her new book. It goes on the list.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 51
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1