The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What are you reading right now?

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 251
John B

Re:What are you reading right now? Sun, 01/8/12 4:41 PM (permalink)
More Civil War reading. This time "Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862" by Edward Cunningham. Getting ready for a tour of the battlefield in April. And maybe finding some good roadfood in that area of Tennessee.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
    Re:What are you reading right now? Sun, 01/8/12 4:42 PM (permalink)
    I'm reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. It is a mystery about Detective Nikki Heat being paired with a reporter, Jameson Rook. Yeah I know, Richard Castle is the TV character teamed with Beckett on ABC. He gives a thanks of credit to Detective Beckett and her team for helping him with his novel.   So who really is the author?

eruby

• Total Posts: 584
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:What are you reading right now? Mon, 01/9/12 8:50 AM (permalink)
      World War Z  by Max Brooks.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
        Re:What are you reading right now? Mon, 01/9/12 1:06 PM (permalink)
        Davydd

I'm reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. It is a mystery about Detective Nikki Heat being paired with a reporter, Jameson Rook. Yeah I know, Richard Castle is the TV character teamed with Beckett on ABC. He gives a thanks of credit to Detective Beckett and her team for helping him with his novel.   So who really is the author?

Your guess is as good as mine. I tend to think it is one of the poker playing buddies who appear at times on Castle. Patterson perhaps?

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
          Re:What are you reading right now? Mon, 01/9/12 5:17 PM (permalink)
          Deal  Breaker by Harlan Coben.   Good mystery!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
            Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/10/12 12:37 PM (permalink)
            The Prostitutes Ball, Steven Cannell

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
              Re:What are you reading right now? Fri, 01/13/12 4:37 PM (permalink)
              I just finished Patricia Cromwell's Red Mist. For the first time, she disappointed me. Scarpetta spends most of the book contemplating her navel.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                Re:What are you reading right now? Sat, 01/14/12 2:07 PM (permalink)
                Finishing The World History Of Animation...fascinating read.

RKB

• Total Posts: 167
                  Re:What are you reading right now? Sat, 01/21/12 10:31 AM (permalink)
                  John B

Anybody else reading non-fiction? Being a Civil War nut I'm now reading "They'll Do To Tie To," a history of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry of Hood's Texas Brigade.

Yes, indeed. Another Civil war nut here, I read most everything I can find on the subject and have visited most of the major battlefields.
                  Last night I finished (finally!!) all 2800+ pages of Shelby Foote's "The Civil War - A Narrative". Absolutely magnificent. Other recent reads were O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln" - poorly done IMHO, and Gingrich's alternative history trilogy about Gettysburg - fiction, but quite well done, I thought.
                  Bill 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                    Re:What are you reading right now? Sat, 01/21/12 10:41 AM (permalink)
                    Ameritopia by Mark Levin.

fishtaco

Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/24/12 1:53 PM (permalink)
                      RKB

John B

Anybody else reading non-fiction? Being a Civil War nut I'm now reading "They'll Do To Tie To," a history of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry of Hood's Texas Brigade.

Yes, indeed. Another Civil war nut here, I read most everything I can find on the subject and have visited most of the major battlefields.
                      Last night I finished (finally!!) all 2800+ pages of Shelby Foote's "The Civil War - A Narrative". Absolutely magnificent. Other recent reads were O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln" - poorly done IMHO, and Gingrich's alternative history trilogy about Gettysburg - fiction, but quite well done, I thought.
                      Bill 

RKB, The latest of Newt's is pretty good. Battle of the Crater.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6200
                        Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/24/12 6:56 PM (permalink)
                        Race Across Alaska by Libby Riddles, first woman to win the Iditarod.

RKB

• Total Posts: 167
                          Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/24/12 7:49 PM (permalink)
                          Fishtaco,
                          Thanks! I ordered that, can't wait to get it. Newt and Forstchen are producing some very readable books in the style of Michael Shaara.
                          I will be in Petersburg in April to visit the Crater and other battlefield sites, to include the Confederate memorial chapel at Blandford with its magnificent Tiffany glass windows.
                          Bill
                          <message edited by RKB on Tue, 01/24/12 7:52 PM>

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                            Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/24/12 8:02 PM (permalink)
                            I like to read about the (1849) Gold Rush, and the Emmigrant migration stories as they came West...

I'm re-reading one of my  favorites...

One of the BEST is an autobiography:  Death Valley in '49 by William Lewis Manly ...while crossing the continent they made every wrong turn possible, and made every bad decision possible ... and the real nitty gritty comes after the  Bennet-Arcane Party  reaches what is now Furnace Creek in December 1849...Manly & Rogers walked through the deserts, and back, to bring help to their companions...a gripping account of hardships unimaginable in modern times...

Zagut

• Total Posts: 40
                              Re:What are you reading right now? Tue, 01/24/12 8:16 PM (permalink)
                              MetroplexJim

Mark is great.
                              That's next on my list.
                              Is it as good as Liberty and Tyranny?

At the moment I'm reading  J. A. Jance  Fatal Error.

MetroplexJim

Re:What are you reading right now? Wed, 01/25/12 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                Zagut

MetroplexJim

Mark is great.
                                That's next on my list.
                                Is it as good as Liberty and Tyranny?

At the moment I'm reading  J. A. Jance  Fatal Error.

It is every bit as thoughtful and even more closely reasoned as he details the origins of the choices the American body politic now faces and analyses their costs and benefits.

I also recommend two extremely precient works written in the 1930's:

The Revolt of the Masses by Jose Ortega y Gasset in which the evolution of those Levin terms "Masterminds" is detailed (and)

Escape from Freedom by Erich Fromm in which is detailed the etiology of man being willing to surrender his natural rights to the "Mastermind".

Enjoy!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                  RE: What are you reading right now? Wed, 01/25/12 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                  Dearfolk,
                                     This screen.
                                        Absolutely Positively Truthfully, Ort. in 30601.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                    RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 01/26/12 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                    Pai Gow Tiles: How to Play and Win

Zagut

• Total Posts: 40
                                      RE: What are you reading right now? Sun, 01/29/12 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the suggestions MJ.  I'll give them a shot after I get through the cheap escapism of my supermarket novels.

Isn't the trouble really that we have people in power who truly believe they are "masterminds"? 

josefinajoisey

• Total Posts: 69
                                        RE: What are you reading right now? Mon, 01/30/12 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: What are you reading right now? Mon, 01/30/12 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Right Now

Various Books on:
                                          A very interesting character and fascintating reading about the man and his life and accomplishments
                                          Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette
                                          A man named after 5 saints  :-)

Did you know there are 57 cities, towns or counties in the US named after him??

MetroplexJim

RE: What are you reading right now? Wed, 02/1/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                            CajunKing

Right Now

Various Books on:
                                            A very interesting character and fascintating reading about the man and his life and accomplishments
                                            Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette
                                            A man named after 5 saints  :-)

Did you know there are 57 cities, towns or counties in the US named after him??

Yes.  A great man.  A key asset in defeating the Brits.  Like Washington, Franklin, et al., a Freemason.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                                              RE: What are you reading right now? Wed, 02/1/12 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                              Lee Childs ... Echo Burning.  I'm addicted!

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                                RE: What are you reading right now? Wed, 02/1/12 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                                The I Love a Mystery Companion by Martin Grams, Jr.  The best part of it is a synopsis of every radio broadcast that this radio series made during its original 1939-1944 run.  For most of its run it was a 5-times-a-week serial.  No wonder people remember this series so fondly.  Too bad very few of the broadcasts exist any longer, but the scripts are still around to read.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                                  Just finished "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. Have begun "War is a Racket" by Major General Smedley Butler.

MetroplexJim

RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    Zagut

Isn't the trouble really that we have people in power who truly believe they are "masterminds"? 

In a word, yes.

To distill one of Ortega y Gasset's insights from Revolt of the Masses - as late as the Renaissance, given the whole of what was then human knowledge, it was possible for the learned man to be expert in a wide spectrum of disciplines.  Today, however, the state of human knowledge is so vast that no one individual is able to be its master.  So, now we have the "expert" who is educated in his one narrow field.  The problem arises due to the fact that this "expert", even though he is demonstrably ignorant of other fields, has the arrogance of the (extinct) truly learned man.  He considers his opinions and feelings about matters outside his narrow expertise to be every bit as valid as the reasoned conclusions of experts within those fields.  In this he can truly be said to be a "learned ignoramus".  Such are the "masterminds" of today who seek to govern economic and human behavior from the "commanding heights" of centralized political power.

The 20th. Century gave us numerous instances of self-appointed "masterminds" of both "the left" and "the right" who sought to mold their societies with ends in mind which they thought to be "good".  The most lurid examples of this were the acts of Stalin, Hitler, and Mao.  Will we never learn that the political spectrum is not "left v. right"; it is central control v. freedom?  Choose wisely.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                                      • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                      RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      For history lovers:
                                                      Conquistador: Hernan Cortes, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs

This book is fantastic. The standard account is that Cortes, leading a couple hundred soldiers and surrounded by tens of thousands of Aztec warriors, walked into the center of Tenochtitl├ín, spoke to Montezuma through his interpreter (and courtesan) Malinche, and then calmly and with Montezuma's consent put him in chains and led him into captivity. Astonishingly, that is exactly what happened. But the story of how that came about, and what happened afterward, is equally astonishing. It is told as much as it can be without slant, the actions of men on all sides standing for themselves, although Levy occasionally inserts his own voice in regards to some of Cortes' proclamations, which is forgivable IMO. The story is a real page turner; I have to force myself to stop reading every night. Highly recommended. 

If you read it and like, it, you can follow it up with River of Darkness, by the same author, which is equally fascinating.

<message edited by Mosca on Thu, 02/2/12 11:42 AM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                                                        RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                                        I just finished reading Cold Hands Warm Heart by Jeff King. It's about King's career as a sled dog racer, which includes winning the Iditarod four times.. Now I'm reading The Accidental Adventurer by Barbara Washburn, with Lew Freedman. It's the story of the first woman to summit Denali (Mount McKinley to those who can't stand the thought of a mountain being called by its real name).

These are part of my required Alaska education course, which began with The Rescue Season by Bob Drury, about the Air Force Reserve parajumpers stationed in Anchorage.
                                                        <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Thu, 02/2/12 5:30 PM>

fishtaco

• Location: Roachdale, IN
                                                          RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                                          True Blue, David Baldacci. Hope he follows up with some more of these.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                                            • Location: Henderson, KY
                                                            RE: What are you reading right now? Thu, 02/2/12 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                                            I am re-reading a book I read about 1979.  It is Harold Lloyd's autobiography, "An American Comedy" written in 1928.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com