What are your favorite BBQ side dishes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/29 20:06:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Milt

It seems that everyone is forgetting the original question - out of the box sides. I agree with most of what has been posted regarding excellent bbq sides - but I only mentioned those which might not be found at most bbq establishments.

Milt is so right, the question did indeed ask about out of the box bbq food. Where I work, we've offered broccoli cauliflower gratin, crispy corn cakes, cucumber onion pickle, haricot vert with fried onions, grilled asparagus, sweet potato chipotle au gratin and sweet corn spoonbread. They've all been quite popular.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/29 23:07:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz
As an South Carolina native, my favorite side is hash and rice and hushpuppies.

SCBuzz,
Thank you for reminding me! Hushpuppies I can take or leave with BBQ, but hash and rice is something we don't have around here.
I'm told that Trenton BBQ in Trenton, S. C. has a good version of this. If I remember correctly, both Shealy's and Jackie Hite's in Batesburg/Leesville have hash with rice on their buffets. (I'd be eating it with a good measure of mustard sauce!)
Where would you send me for that one specific dish? You've got to know The Holy Grail of Hash Houses, even if I have to putt clear over to someplace as obscure as Stiefeltown to find it.
Hashing It Over, Ort. Carlton in Brunswickally-Stewed Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/29 23:13:39 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Unless I've missed the post, nobody has mentioned what I often found around Nashville, Tennessee and Bowling Green, Kentucky... fried pies. The usual flavors were apple and peach, but quite a few others would make an occcasional appearance.
One place I went to in Ashland City, Tennessee -- Farley's Bar-B-Q Pit -- had sweet potato fried pies one night... I sure must have gotten lucky, because my pie sure was tasty. That was one of the best restaurants I ever ate at.
Not Fried, But Well Stuffed With Various Fillings, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. I'll leave it up to y'all to decide what fillings I'm stuffed with... excelsior is not in the running.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/29 23:18:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zataar
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster
With BBQ!!!??? A SALAD!!!????

Zataar,
What!?!?!?!?!? You meean you've never heard of Barbecue Salad? Mercy, you've got to make a road trip to McClard's in Hot Springs, Arkansas!
I've found BBQ salad on several menus in these parts, and simply never gotten around to trying it out. I'd bet it would be excellent with either vinegar-based sauce or with mustard-based sauce, but a sweetish tomato-based sauce would repel me... I've never liked sweet salad dressing.
Saucily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
P. S. A restaurant in Boiling Springs, North Carolina offers a Livermush Salad on their menu. This may well be the same place that does a credible Livermush Pizza. -- Gracious, now y'all have me wanting to start a new thread....
Roadfoodfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/30 19:11:31 (permalink)
Thats mighty kind of ya chef!! I will give her a whirl!
Roadfoodfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/30 19:17:12 (permalink)
So many great responses!!! Thank you all!!
Brocktoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/11/30 21:15:56 (permalink)
fried okra, by far.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4119
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/01 11:53:37 (permalink)
Minced or pulled pork: hush puppies, sweet, coarse vinegar-sauced slaw, and potato salad with eggs, onions, & green olives. And, www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com.

Brisket: white bread buns, jalapeno baked beans, creamy cole slaw, and dill potato salad. I'm not a fan of sauce on brisket. And the brisket better be fork-cut tender.

Ribs: tart cole slaw, sweet baked beans, and white bread sticks. And gimme those meaty real ribs dry-rubbed - none of those silly sweet-sauced Chili's baby backs.

Sweet tea (lunch) or beer (dinner) goes well with all.

Damn! Now I'm hungry!

Bigdave125
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/01 12:19:57 (permalink)
Baked Beans - try this recipe (use Bush's baked beans - country style as the base)

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Baked-Beans-I/Detail.aspx

Also, potato salad.

Bigdave125
prisonchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/01 21:00:51 (permalink)
road,
no problem. we have had a florida registered MFD for 3 years now. at times i sure would like to throw it in since between that and working as a chef my hours are 80+/week. only advice i have for you is dont give up!!!!! the right hit will come and when it does it will make everything worthwhile.
now
i dont know what kind of smoker you have. we have both a cookshack sm150 and a cookshack fec100 in our rig. the only thing good to be said about the fec is it's legal in comps and since it's not the ul rated one i can hit 450f easy. at any temp over 350f there is no smoke taste in the fec. that being the case i came up with a recipe that sells well on cold mornings since i can bake biscuits and bread in the thing and to be honest that's about all i use it for anymore!!!!

brisket on a biscuit----yeild 8 good servings
20 oz. left over brisket,chopped medium fine
1 qt. bechamel sauce
kosher salt to taste
lots of fresh ground black pepper
cook your biscuits at 375 bout 15 mins (if you dont want to make your own pillsbury makes a real good frozen uncooked commercial biscuit that you can get at sam's club)
bechamel is ez just make a roux let it cook about 5 mins (don't go any darker than blonde)
to the roux add cream and milk and stir till thick.
add the brisket and salt and pepper and there ya go!!!!!!
jack
ps. and yes we all know that classic bechemel is one onion studded with 2 cloves which hold a bay leaf to the onion and a grating of nutmeg while the milk simmers but what the heck this is bbq lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here it is
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/02 20:45:42 (permalink)
Personally, this is my ideal BBQ feast other than the BBQ of course;

LOTS of Sweet Tea
Appetizer of Fried Green Tomatos
Sides of Collard Greens, Sweet Baked Beans, Corn Bread & Fries (either reg or sweet potato fries)
Dessert = Banana Pudding!

Boo-Yah!
chickenqueen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/03 09:31:17 (permalink)
Hush puppies, baked beans with lots of bacon and onion, mayo based cole slaw, mac n cheese, homemade potatoe salad,(can't stand that premade stuff) and o yeah banana pudding and for dessert a little more banana pudding
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/03 10:39:35 (permalink)
Lots of tasty sounding ideas here.

Living in the Northeast, as well, I tend to focus on the richness of the meat when I find good barbeque and I avoid the heavier, starchier sides. I've found most of the northerners I know agree (unless they have some Southern connection). Cornbread goes tasted but unfinished and I don't know anyone who wants mac & cheese with 'que. Personally, I love beans so I always taste them, but unless they're really good they go unfinished. Slaw, on the other hand, is a must and is usually disappointing in the North.

IMHO many northerners prefer the veggies, salads and pickles to counterpoint the rich meat. I like the ideas here of cuke salads and the like. I love greens but they can be a hard sell up here. Since you're Dutchess County, why not mix it up with some regional favorites like Kosher dills and half-sours? Maybe a good red cabbage, German-style? Maybe there's some other Jewish, German, or Dutch specialties of the Hudson Valley that would work with BBQ.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What are your favorite BBQ side dishes 2007/12/07 01:49:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt
Maybe there's some other Jewish, German, or Dutch specialties of the Hudson Valley that would work with BBQ.

Dearfolk,
Many years ago, I created a character for my radio show who was from Norway (he talked in that typical up-down voice, um-hmm-yah). His mother had been a ship's cook, utilizing the readily-available foodstuffs while in transit. Since it was a tropical ship, she created a fusion cuisine all her own. Thus Olaf's favorite food was banana strudels.
Now I'd hardly suggest your adding that to your menu, but at least it's worth a mention. You surely would raise some eyebrows in your locality.
Barbecue and bananas... who'd'a thunk it?
Posting Only Once (Even If The Postman Only Rings Twice), Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1