Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What brand of Coffee is in your cup??

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 220
Guilty One

• Total Posts: 204
RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/10/08 7:52 PM (permalink)
Hey porkbeaks, I really like that i-roast machine. How about your report before I drop $200.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
    RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/10/08 9:48 PM (permalink)
    Make it Eight O'clock for me when I drink coffee, but that is very rare these days. For a while I was caught up in the gourmet coffee craze, ground my expensive beans at home and brewed them in an equally expensive machine. Perhaps the subtleties were lost on me, but I found I did not like the gourmet beans and started buying Eight O'clock whole beans. This was better and tasted like coffee should taste to me. It was also much cheaper

Finally, the gourmet coffee making machine died and I got back to my Celtic roots. Tea.
    When eating out, I might have coffee, but never at home. I grew up on tea and finally realized that is where my real pleasure is.

A&P is long gone but Eight O'clock coffee is still around. Still a good coffee, inexpensive and in my area widely available. Still my favorite coffee from my coffee interlude days.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
      RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/10/08 10:15 PM (permalink)
      A&P is still going strong in the North East area...and eight o'clock is still on the shelves there!

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
        RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/10/08 10:44 PM (permalink)
        A and P just goes by different names in different parts of the county. In Baltimore it goes by the name of SuperFresh, and they sell eight o'clock.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
          RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sun, 05/11/08 12:35 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Guilty One

Hey porkbeaks, I really like that i-roast machine. How about your report before I drop $200.

I just noticed your post and, to tell the truth, I totally forgot my promise of a report. I'm kind of in the middle of cooking some odds and ends for Mother's Day so I don't have time to go into all the details, but one thing I do know for sure, The i-Roast2 is a great little machine. A drawback for some might be the fact that you can only roast a maximum of about 150 grams (a little over 4 oz. after roasting) of green beans at a time. For me, this is more than enough for a day's coffee. The best thing about the roaster is its ability to store up to 10 roasting profiles/styles in its memory and they remain there even when unplugged. The glass chamber makes it easy to decide, based on bean color, when to stop the roast and go to the 4 minute "cool-down" cycle. The chaff collector works very well and it's fairly simple to clean by lightly brushing the parts after roasting. Soap and water cleanings are to be done only when absolutely necessary. If you like dark roasts, which I do, there can be quite of smoke produced so, if you do it in the kitchen, a highly efficient exhaust fan is a must. I have been roasting in the garage or outdoors. Like I said, it's a great product and I highly recommend it. pb

Romano

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sun, 05/11/08 11:40 PM (permalink)
            Paul DeLima

The Best!

Guilty One

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 05/12/08 12:09 AM (permalink)
              porkbeaks,
              Thanks for the review of the i-roast 2. I had not clicked on your link, but went to the company site which said that the 150 grams (5.3 oz.) makes about 24 cups of coffee, and I thought that would last a few days.
              So I laughed when I read your response. They must mean 24 one shot espressos !!!
              I should know better. A "cup" means nothing. I think I will get one. Thanks, again.

rumsongirl

• Total Posts: 31
                RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 05/12/08 3:15 PM (permalink)
                use to hate folgers, but they must have changed their blend...now i love thier breakfast blend....but just bought a Gevalia coffee maker and love their carmel cream flavor and their breakfast blend. will continue to get that as long as the money holds out....lets see....coffee or gas for the car?????

foodgood

• Total Posts: 6
                  RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Thu, 05/15/08 11:30 PM (permalink)
                  OK, first of all, I'm going to divide this into "Just gimme some coffee" and "Picky":
                  1) Taster's Choice, for some instant that won't make me sad(other than too many friggin' floaties); and
                  2) Green Mountain, for beans to grind n' brew. Not fancy, not exotically astounding, just consistent.
                  For coffee in a can, I have fond memories of Autocrat, and 8 o' clock wasn't bad either.

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
                    RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Fri, 05/16/08 10:58 AM (permalink)
                    Ethiopian Sidamo, roasted on my rotary roaster to full city. Yum!

leethebard

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Fri, 05/16/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by rumsongirl

use to hate folgers, but they must have changed their blend...now i love thier breakfast blend....but just bought a Gevalia coffee maker and love their carmel cream flavor and their breakfast blend. will continue to get that as long as the money holds out....lets see....coffee or gas for the car?????

Got me to thinking...any other favorites out there that have been reformulated for the better...Maxwell House is advertising that way...is it better????

rumsongirl

• Total Posts: 31
                        RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Fri, 05/16/08 3:37 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by foodgood

OK, first of all, I'm going to divide this into "Just gimme some coffee" and "Picky":
                        1) Taster's Choice, for some instant that won't make me sad(other than too many friggin' floaties); and
                        2) Green Mountain, for beans to grind n' brew. Not fancy, not exotically astounding, just consistent.
                        For coffee in a can, I have fond memories of Autocrat, and 8 o' clock wasn't bad either.

autocrat...is that the one in the yellow can w/ a red rooster? if so, they use to be good a few yrs ago, not sure now.

MUGger

• Total Posts: 15
                          RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Fri, 05/16/08 4:22 PM (permalink)
                          Peet's Major Dickenson Blend, usually available on sale at the local grocery store.

foodgood

• Total Posts: 6
                            RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 05/19/08 1:08 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            autocrat...is that the one in the yellow can w/ a red rooster? if so, they use to be good a few yrs ago, not sure now.

"A Swallow Will Tell You", not a rooster ;) Yep, that's the stuff... as far as coffee-in-a-can goes, it's still better to me than the bigger names.

Wandering Chew

• Total Posts: 121
                              RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Fri, 05/23/08 7:04 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by tiki

No question--by far the finest kind---PEET"S! /www.peets.com/who_we_are/who_we_are.asp

YOU SIR are a genius- no doubt the best coffee i have found- we drink PEETS Aged Sumatra regularly with an occassional change to Arabian Mocha Java and Holiday Blend when available in December.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/24/08 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Wandering Chew

quote:
                                Originally posted by tiki

No question--by far the finest kind---PEET"S! /www.peets.com/who_we_are/who_we_are.asp

YOU SIR are a genius- no doubt the best coffee i have found- we drink PEETS Aged Sumatra regularly with an occasional change to Arabian Mocha Java and Holiday Blend when available in December.

I third that comment. Arabian Mocha Java is my favorite. Last year's Holiday Blend was one of the best ever! Right now though I have a new -ish thing called "Farley's Blend". Has anyone else tried it? Phil Frank was a genius, and this is a fitting tribute. [url='http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/13/BA5GQV2IQ.DTL']About Phil Frank[/url]
                                or check out http://www.farleycomicstrip.com/thefarleystrip/favorites.html

umbada

• Total Posts: 56
                                  RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 05/24/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                  When it comes to coffee I ride the rails. I change roasts and brands a few times a year. Right now I'm grinding a fair trade espresso blend. Soon I'll jump off this car and hop on another.

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                                    RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Thu, 06/26/08 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                    Good ol' maxwell house when its a name brand, otherwise our store's house brand or Aldi's or Sav a lot's house brand..

been drinking Maxwell house for 50+ years.

HATE " premium/specialty " coffees, and can't get Starbucks or Tim Horton's to get past my gag reflex.

leethebard

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Thu, 06/26/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                      Hasn't Maxwell House been re-blended? Is it better than it was?

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                        RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sat, 06/28/08 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                        Well, right now, I've got this New England Coffee in my cup. 100% Colombian Supremo (I hate when they put an "o" at the end of stuff to make it look more attractive or appetizing). I got this coffee for a steal at ShopRite when it was on sale. Mostly this sells for as much as 5-something for the 11 oz. bag (it's already ground), but I got it for $1.49! Why not, right? It's not bad at all. Their website is all dreamy-looking, too, with the Adirondack chairs facing the water.

Mostly I get what's on sale, because I'm poor. But believe me, I taste the difference between a chintzy brand and a good brand. And I only like a plain coffee that's not too "bold" or dark-roasted.

Which reminds me, once again I missed the Melitta Warehouse Sale. They roast it up here in Cherry Hill, and I smell it all during the week on my paper route.

I wish I knew where Wawa got their coffee. For me, that really is the best.

deeoh01

• Total Posts: 62
                                          RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 06/30/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                          My local Costo roasts right in the store (Seattle Mountain brand) just like a few others in this thread have mentioned. It's not the absolute best coffee I've ever had, but it's pretty darn good. And at $8.99 for a 2.5 lb. bag of beans for Columbian Supremo it's a steal.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                            RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 06/30/08 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                            Harriet,
                                            Some years back, I found out that Wechsler Coffee roasted Wawa's coffee. They were bought out by Sara Lee Foodservice. I don't know if they still do, but it is a moot point since it was/is a private label arrangement. The good news is that the alleged same coffee is available from office coffee service companies in NJ, PA, and DE. Just google "Wawa coffee". Here is one vendor who claims it is the same coffee:
                                            http://www.pinemountainsprings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=40

leethebard

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Mon, 06/30/08 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Hey david, thanks for the info...I like Wawa coffee,even better than 7-11 coffee

MOC

• Total Posts: 40
                                                RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Tue, 07/1/08 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                                Dunkin donuts or 8 o'clock. We like the half caf in the blue bag but I'm having trouble finding it!

Bamagurl

• Total Posts: 5
                                                  RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sun, 07/6/08 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                                  After Oprah touted Peet's on her show I went out and bought a bag. It was good but not outstanding, IMO. Last summer we stayed at a lodge in western North Carolina and they had Seattle's Best in the room. It was the coffee I had been looking for for everyday consumption. Another favorite is Godiva. They have a chocolate flavored coffee that I enjoy very much, particularly in the winter.

Guilty One

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Sun, 07/6/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    Dark roasted beans from wherever I happen to be shopping.

I think grinding the beans when the coffee is made is the most important thing.

Rockbeast

• Total Posts: 44
                                                      RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Tue, 08/5/08 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      I just tried Equal Exchange French Roast (fair trade) coffee. I got it from Kroger grocery store here in Knoxville, TN. I like it better than most any coffee I've ever had...and that is made out of our little 4 cup coffee maker here in the office! The Kroger Premium Blend (which doesn't even have the word 'arabica' on it's can) is used in the main office coffee maker, but it turns my stomach whenever I open up the lid to make some coffee. I had to give it up.

I also recently ordered coffee from www.porfavor.org and it was very good. I like the idea of helping out the little guy farmer...maybe that is why I enjoy the coffee a little bit more?

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                                        RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Tue, 08/5/08 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                        Cafe Du Monde. Love the chicory blend.

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
                                                          • Location: 19.43 N 155.58 W
                                                          RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Tue, 08/5/08 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          http://www.konablueskycoffee.com/ dark roast. Grown right around the corner from my house. Very tasty.

Sundancer7

RE: What brand of Coffee is in your cup?? Tue, 08/5/08 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            Green Mountain just made a huge committment to Knoxville buying a huge complex in one of our industrial centers. It was indicated that this was their first venture out of the northeast. I have no idea about their coffee but I would appreciate any comments.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 220

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com