The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What car you owned was your favorite?

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 86 of 86
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Wed, 06/29/11 9:35 PM (permalink)
Here is the new Mayor-Mobile- On its way how from the dealer. Many little improvements in the new over our 2005.  This is our third Supercrew in eleven years. All bought from the same sales-rep at the same dealership.   We are very pleased with the overall deal.

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
    Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Wed, 06/29/11 9:43 PM (permalink)
    Hi Al
     Is that an eco-boost 6 or an 8.
    Looks great. Uncle Groucho

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
      Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Wed, 06/29/11 9:49 PM (permalink)
      I've been nostalgic about some older cars I've owned. My first car was a 52 Chevy that unfortunately was repo'd because I couldn't keep up with the $15 a month payments. Not that I'm proud of that.
      IMO todays cars are so much more reliable that there is no comparison.

Sundancer7

Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 6:51 AM (permalink)
        Mayor:  Beautiful truck, lotsa chrome, great wheels and Ford has done a lot to improve their products.  This one will last you a very long time.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

seafarer john

Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 9:56 AM (permalink)
          Those of us over 60 years old should be thankful we survived the really dangerous cars we drove in our youth. 
          brakes that couldn't stop a tricycle
          dim headlights
          shattering glass
          woobbly steering
          leaky exhausts
          no turn signals (we stuck our hand out the window)
          no seat belts
          All this and dangerous three lane roads with a "suicide lane" down the middle, poor or absent signage, unguarded shoulders and curves, one lane bridges...

Cheers, John 

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
            Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 8:52 PM (permalink)
            this is my favorite "car" in the last 15 years..... shes all original, leather and mahogany(real wood, not laminate) interior, power everything, 302 under the hood...... 16mpg city/23 highway...... not prius numbers, but very comparable to todays trucks....... best part is, she is plush and commfy, all the creature comforts, and she is paid for  

she rolled off the dealer floor as a MarkIII custom edition, what you see here is how she looked the day she went home from the dealer
            <message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Thu, 06/30/11 8:57 PM>

Hot Dog Empire

• Total Posts: 175
              Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 9:48 PM (permalink)
               Wow......memories.
              My first car was a 77 Chevy Vega.....fond memories.      Good, Good times.

bellehill

• Total Posts: 133
                Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 10:34 PM (permalink)
                1978 dodge power wagon  4*4 4speed  short bed  now that was the good oldays  

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                  Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 06/30/11 10:56 PM (permalink)
                  I had a 1968 Olds Cutlass w/Rocket 350,4 BBL carb,yellow w/black pinstripes.Black vinyl roof and black vinyl interior.It absolutely screamed.One late night I drove it down that mostly empty (at the time) stretch of Rt 128 between Gloucester and Beverly Mass,right past that Hojo's that Mayor Al worked at.I was being egged on to mash the pedal by the other idiots in the car.When I looked and saw I had the needle buried at 140,I took my foot off the pedal and coasted onto the shoulder where I babbled and shook like a cretin for 15 minutes.I don't think I have ever driven faster than 80 mph since that night over 40 years ago,I totally got high speed driving out of my system.Course now theres darn few places on the East Coast where it would even be possible.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Fri, 07/1/11 9:45 AM (permalink)
                    The first car I owned in 1964 was a 1949 Triumph TR-3. It had no safety features whatsoever but it sure was a blast to drive! Loved to drive it in the winter with the top off and the ski rack on....   looking cool! I gave it up for a brand new 1966 Mustang convertible, room for more than 1 friend to cruise with!

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                      Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Fri, 07/1/11 9:53 AM (permalink)
                      70 nova 427 glide 4:88's

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                        Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Fri, 07/1/11 10:44 AM (permalink)
                        Hot Dog Empire

Wow......memories.
                        My first car was a 77 Chevy Vega.....fond memories.      Good, Good times.

Rare is the person who associates "fond" and "good" with "Chevy Vega"...

Brad

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                          Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Fri, 07/1/11 11:02 AM (permalink)
                          vega= fill the oil, check the gas

bob12312357

• Total Posts: 104
                            Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Mon, 07/11/11 10:43 PM (permalink)
                            My current car is a 400hp Audi set-up for time attack and it just feels too sturdy,safe,secure,and really boring.Ok it start breaking away into oversteer a bit more then expected trail braking into a corner no biggie, don't even counter steer. Let the car rotate until it's pointing in the direction you want 2 go and just roll onto the gas and AWD just sucks you out of the turn like a rocket. Give a little too much gas and the open diffs will let you spin the front inside tire around a corner until 120mph at the top of 4th gear resulting in understeer. It just gets boring.Hands down my favorite car was my old E30 325. Not fast, but could hold 4 adults, get 30+mpg highway,handled like a go cart since it weighed 2,700lbs,could stick an engine from a civic in the trunk one day and the next day beat up on cars with twice the power 20 years newer at the track,dead nuts reliable,easy to work on, wore very well and the interior and paint looked new 20 years later. Just an overall fun car.  
                            Here's a random vid of the current one driving around having a little fun.

<message edited by bob12312357 on Tue, 07/12/11 2:17 PM>

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                              Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Mon, 07/11/11 11:22 PM (permalink)
                              Billfish

I had a 1968 Olds Cutlass w/Rocket 350,4 BBL carb,yellow w/black pinstripes.Black vinyl roof and black vinyl interior.It absolutely screamed.One late night I drove it down that mostly empty (at the time) stretch of Rt 128 between Gloucester and Beverly Mass,right past that Hojo's that Mayor Al worked at.I was being egged on to mash the pedal by the other idiots in the car.When I looked and saw I had the needle buried at 140,I took my foot off the pedal and coasted onto the shoulder where I babbled and shook like a cretin for 15 minutes.I don't think I have ever driven faster than 80 mph since that night over 40 years ago,I totally got high speed driving out of my system.Course now theres darn few places on the East Coast where it would even be possible.

I know exactly what you mean - I had a 1972 Olds 442 - the name says it all - I was very young and a little on the reckless side  - one day I was airing it out on a country road and topped a hill - there was a school bus with children getting off and crossing the road.  I had to lock it up and almost had to take the right shoulder of the road before I came to a stop behind the bus.  That was long ago - I  still drive a performance car - and always will - it's just that now I know when and when not to act stupid.

TomatoMustard

• Total Posts: 25
                                Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Tue, 07/12/11 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                I had a super nice first car. 1995 Buick Skylark. My great-grandma bought it brand new, put 6000 miles on it and then sold it to me for $1200. I should have never sold that thing. It was ugly but so fast.

Now I have a Pontiac G6 which stands for Garbage6.

baileysoriginal

Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Tue, 07/12/11 11:08 PM (permalink)

Now I have a Pontiac G6 which stands for Garbage6.

If I may ask - what do you not like about your G6?  I've owned Pontiacs off and on for all of my adult life - first a Trans Am, then a Grand Am - then a Bonneville - then a Grand Prix and now a G8 - and I have to say this G8 is the best I've ever driven. 

TomatoMustard

• Total Posts: 25
                                    Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Wed, 07/13/11 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                    My wife bought it brand new in 2007. I inherited it when she wanted a new car this time last year.

In the first month of me driving it I had to have the camshaft, camshaft position sensor, and windshield wiper module replaced. Luckily, the camshaft and whatnot was under warranty so no charge there but the wipe module came out of my pocket.

Within 3 months of driving it one of the rear window defrost contacts popped off due to poor design (the plastic that covers the frame/shell on the sides of the window rubs on the defrost contacts). That still hasn't been fixed because the dealership said the entire window would have to be replaced due to the fact that the contacts are stamped onto the glass. (and yes, I tried fixing it myself. I'm damn good with a soldering iron but getting that piece back on there is impossible.. even epoxy didn't work).

Those problems weren't my fault but within the last 3 months I've replaced the front windshield, the passenger side windshield wiper arm, the battery, and now the lights behind the heating controls have gone out.

So, crappy workmanship coupled with a run of bad luck has put a sour taste in my mouth for pontiac. I'm glad they won't be making any more of them - I'm done with GM after this one.
                                    <message edited by TomatoMustard on Wed, 07/13/11 3:19 PM>

baileysoriginal

Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Wed, 07/13/11 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                      I can understand your situation - I went through something similar  with an Oldsmobile (in between the Pontiacs) several years ago.  I had special ordered it and after six weeks of waiting I finally got posession of it - I might as well have gotten posession of the devil - that car had more problems and spent more time getting fixed than I could deal with.  I'm not going to list everything that was wrong - it was unbelievable - and endless trips to the dealership for repairs. 
                                      In the end I switched to a Ford 4WD and some of my in laws bought the Olds - I told them it was nothing but trouble but they bought it anyway  - and drove it for about 4 more years without any major problems.

deepfryerdan

• Total Posts: 61
                                        Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/14/11 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm looking at a Mazda3 this time around.. hopefully this fall I can find one worthwhile.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                                          Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/14/11 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                          My 1990 Honda CRX. I loved that car. *sob* When I win the lottery or someone mails me a box of money, I'll buy a new CRZ.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                            Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/28/11 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Dearfolk,
                                               My favorite car was Henry, my 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger.
                                               I'll post more later; I'm at the public library and am having an embarassingly hard time seeing here. I'll be over to U. Ga. after 4:30 P. M., when I can park for free.
                                                  Wholeheartedly, Ort.
                                            P. S. I'm driving Van Ella Fitzgerald now. She's also a Dodge.

Sundancer7

Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/28/11 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                              Ort:  What happened to the Cadillac?

I have several cars that I wish I had back.  I had a new bright red 1964 Olds 442 and it was a rocket.  I had a new 1977 Corvette red.  It was not so fast but it is now a classic.  I have seen both of them on Mecum and Barrett-Jackson that was in very good shape sell for astro amounts of money.

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN 

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                                Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/28/11 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                                If I could take back one car it would be the first car I bought (as the fourth owner). It was a 1949 Volkswagen Beetle, one of only two imported to the United States by an Indianapolis car dealer one year before they were officially imported. I bought it in 1959 when I was only 15 years old and sold it four years later in a weak moment when I was away at college. I never drove the car other than around the block to bring it home when I bought it.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                  Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Thu, 07/28/11 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  Sundancer,
                                                     Blanch the Cadillac is fixing to be revitalized and hopefully sold. She's asleep in the backyard as we speak.
                                                        Unsnoringly, Ort.

derrick36

• Total Posts: 9
                                                    Re:What car you owned was your favorite? Sat, 08/6/11 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    My current 08 F250 PSD is the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned.  I was always a big fan of 3/4 and 1 ton fords but could never afford one.  After I got married and we got our finances in order my wife finally let me pull the trigger on one. There is no other vehicle I can picture driving.

www.  supermotors  .net/getfile/825966/fullsize/143.jpg

<message edited by derrick36 on Sat, 08/6/11 1:23 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                      Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 86 of 86

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com