What chain make a great take out sandwich ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 19:33:39 (permalink)
Good point Michael!

"Play nice boys and girls" is what I usually say. I got that from runing poker games, witch many times turned into a kindergarden for adults! Right Ellen?

Now about those BLT's... who besides Neb's mom, and Ted, makes a good one, that we can buy somewhere?
Joe
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 20:44:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

The bread smell at Subway is repulsive. It smells like a vat of burning chemicals. If I want to smell real bread baking, I stop by Freddy's Pizza down the street from my office in Cicero.

I agree that the bread smell at Subway is repulsive and it permeates everything. To me, it smells sickly sweet and chemical-like. Re sandwiches, I like Schlotzsky's every now and then. The BLT and the Deluxe are pretty good, and I especially enjoy the toasted sourbread.

Andrea
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 21:50:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

I have tried Jimmy Johns, or Jones, not sure, they were O.K. Are there others out there with a great sandwich, a national chain? Why are they great? What are they called?

Mike

I think Jimmy Jones is that place in Guyana where they make the Kool-Aid.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/11 08:15:33 (permalink)
To all,

No need for anyone to get upset, let anyone say anything they want, they can't hurt anyone. If we don't like it, don't read it.

Mike

Now back to who makes the BLT to go?
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/11 08:31:49 (permalink)
Arbys used to have a good BLT-not sure if it is still on their menu..
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/11 09:24:19 (permalink)
I'll take Blimpies ove Subway anyday and Blimpie's has the best tuna and american cheese hero with lettuce, onions, salt and pepper, oil and vinegar and hot peppers.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/12 23:09:12 (permalink)
quote:
Big Ugly Mich-I am absolutely surprised that you think Cousins bread is premade.I was a baker at Cousins up to Nov.15th of 2006 and as far as I know, we all bake bread 2x per day. My husband is a truck driver and knows for a fact that Subways bread IS shipped in...fool me once,as the saying goes.And Suburpia is back-FANTASTIC!!!

Subway DOUGH is shipped in, but baked on sight. It's shaped and frozen, which, while not perfect, is more than any other place that's not a chain, except maybe Blimpie's, but there aren't any in my neck-o-the-woods.

Cousin's bakes its bread off site (in Menominee Falls) and trucks it in to the individual stores.

I also like Arby's, but eat the sandwiches and not the roast beef or ham and cheese yuck.
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/13 11:02:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps
The bread smell at Subway is repulsive.
Amen. A chain that big tests the tar out of everything before rolling it out so it's hard to believe the ovens and dough aren't engineered to pump that smell into the store -- you just have to wonder if they tested it out in front of enough people. It seems people either like the smell or really, really hate it.

I guess they thought the pluses outweighed the minuses but in my case it's sickening enough that I went from a pretty reliable (maybe once a week) customer to a once-every-six-months-or-so customer. Hopefully they're picking it up somewhere else.
gremlin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/13 17:46:22 (permalink)
my wife and i LOOOOOVE jimmy johns! subway has gotten worse in the last few years. the best chain place around western mass is d'angelos. so warm and tasty, especially the #9 (steak and cheese). the best blt was made by my mom. the one time i went to quiznos the workers there totally sucked. it took 8 people and 20 minutes to make a sandwich! and then 3 cashiers for me to pay!

barrett
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/18 11:28:31 (permalink)
gremlin,

This is just the way things are going, in the today's world.

To all,

What is your favorite sandwiches, and where do you buy it? Or how do you make it?

Mike
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/18 14:21:59 (permalink)
Peanut butter and jelley! I make it myself when my mommy isn't here.

Step #1 Remove butter knife from draw, important nothing sharp!
Step #2 Gather ingrediants. The peanut butter, jelly, and the bread
Step #3 Smear ingreadiants on bread of choice {not rye though}
Step #4 Now bring the 2 pieces of bread together
Step #5 Trim off crust then cut in quarters sometimes I make triangles sometimes just squares.
Last Step Pour large glass of milk and enjoy

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/18 15:24:41 (permalink)
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/18 17:01:26 (permalink)
Re: Penn Station (mentioned by two earlier posters) - They are mentioned as one of the places in Indiana that has the best "Philly" Cheesesteaks on this very interesting website: http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/ -- where reviewers can post about their favorite cheesesteak places across the good ol' U.S. of A.

And by the way, I'm also down with that old standby, the PB & J sandwich. Some things you just never outgrow.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/19 11:30:02 (permalink)
rbpalmer,

I will try next time in LaFayette, Indiana, and that is just around 100 miles south of me. Thank you for the information.

Mike
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/20 09:56:19 (permalink)
To all,

Why are there no Penn Stations up in northern Indiana?

Mike
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 00:55:55 (permalink)
Jersey Mike's is an excellent sub chain. It has definitely satisfied my craving for Jersey subs outside of my favorite state. Can't go wrong with the Cancro special! (roast beef and pepperoni!). It put Blimpie's and Subway to shame.
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 01:00:28 (permalink)
I am very dissapointed with Schlotzky's Deli. I ordered a reuben sandwich and they drowned it with thousand island dressing. In addition, they used the wrong type of bread for the sandwich. Granted it's a chain, but still with the name of Schlotzky's, you would expect some degree of authenticity. I strongly recommend not going there.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 03:03:54 (permalink)
quote:

To all,

No need for anyone to get upset, let anyone say anything they want, they can't hurt anyone. If we don't like it, don't read it.

Mike

Now back to who makes the BLT to go?

I make a killer BLT to go, if you want.
Not a chain, but I will make one tomorrow and post the pic.
Maybe even another chili dog pic for unclevic also.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3153
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 09:38:01 (permalink)
C Turner Joy, I noticed that you haven't posted recently. Please do. I wanted to send you a private message but you've left no contact information. Please do. At times I wanted to post a criticism but felt I might start a flame war which I really wanted to avoid, so I emailed the person privately and for some, that turned out to be the start of some non-board corresponence that I really enjoy. I find myself taking other posters advice and avoid clicking on some folks posts that I know I will not enjoy. That advice has made this great board that much more enjoyable. If I am bored, I might check out a topic that didn't seem to be of interest to me like this one (I'm just not that much of a chain person) and found your rather polite annoyance with the question. I don't want to speak for you but it seems like you were asking PG to offer up an opinion as to his favorites and why they were and for him to ask others their take on the subject but it came out as an attack on his right to post queries in general which is a no-no. Am I right? I have read your posts and always found them interesting so I do hope you return and post again.
Now to answer PG. I once found Cousin's Subs, found mainly in the Midwest, to be a great sub but after they really started expanding something changed and they are now imho pretty bland although they do have "better bread" (their slogan). BigUglyMitch, Suburbia and its kissing cousin, Gold Coast Subs, are great and highly recommended. Arby's aren't bad but for what they charge you could easily find a sit-down local diner to offer at least the same quality for less. I find Subway to be a meal I'll buy while traveling when in I'm hungry and can find no other options. It doesn't weigh me down and give me indigestion like a burger or fried food might if I'm doing some long distance driving. Its strictly a nourishment thing and not something I really enjoy. As far as the others mentioned, I would not know for the most part as they don't seem to be that common while traveling which is the only time I'll choose a chain.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 10:00:34 (permalink)
This thread has focused more upon regional places, which I suspected it would do (eventually)

http://www.jimmyjohns.com/

http://www.firehousesubs.com/
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 10:21:17 (permalink)
Just to set the record STRAIGHT..Cousins subs DOES NOT bake their bread off site and ship it into stores.I worked there up intil 2 months ago,as a baker and manager.Years ago they had a central bakery,but no more.Each individual store bakes their own bread from a frozen dough(like Jimmy Johns)that is made by Gonella bread in Chicago according to Cousins recipe.Some of Subways bread(i.e.flavored)is already par baked and just has to be "baked off".Bread from dough,IMO,whether frozen or fresh,makes a better sandwich....
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/21 11:10:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Good point Michael!

"Play nice boys and girls" is what I usually say. I got that from runing poker games, witch many times turned into a kindergarden for adults! Right Ellen?

Now about those BLT's... who besides Neb's mom, and Ted, makes a good one, that we can buy somewhere?
Joe

right on, Papa Joe !!!
Here I am browsing around these boards, and I see that you gave me a good plug !!

Yes, that is exactly what I say to the poker players, just like you do! When emotions get heated up, I say stuff like "let's just enjoy the game, guys!", etc...

And occasionally, I throw in my "I don't feel the love! I wanna feel the love"
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/23 08:46:18 (permalink)
To all,

Enjoy your any kind of sandwich when you watch the BEARS win the supper bowl.

Mike
Etienne87
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/30 00:00:46 (permalink)
Wow, so many people know what Cousins is. Don't get that much here in Az. Anyhow, I agree with MilwFoodLovers that Cousins has gone downhill since expansion. I worked at the original Cousins bakery on Megal Drive in the falls from 87-91, just before they moved to their new hq on Leon. The bread just isnt the same as it was back then, all nice and warm ( well when you worked in the bakery you could 'sample' even though you werent supposed to ) and crispy, now its... I dunno it just sucks. And dont even get me started on the choices now. Maybe its just the stores here in Az, well theres only one left in Tucson but I would brag and brag how good the club subs were so my friend and I were out one day and I dragged him there and um, totally disappointed. I remember when the meat was falling out of the bread and the one I had the other day was subway sized :-( Other than that, the only chains we have here are Subway, Quiznos, Blimpies, one Jimmy Johns ( havent tried em yet ) and an awesome place near the U of A called the Cheba Hut!
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/30 07:40:57 (permalink)
Etienne87,

Tell us more on Cheba Hut. What do they make best? What do they have? What do you like the best?

Mike
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/30 12:16:29 (permalink)
quote:

Arbys used to have a good BLT-not sure if it is still on their menu..

Still is, I've had it a few times and while it's ok and they can be very generous with the bacon, the bread is too doughy and thick for me. They make it in a wrap version but that's not a BLT in my book.
Etienne87
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/31 03:01:36 (permalink)
quote:

Etienne87,

Tell us more on Cheba Hut. What do they make best? What do they have? What do you like the best?

Mike

The Cheba Hut is a rather unique sandwich shop right across from Wildcat stadium, not much to look at, but like I said, awesome food. In any case they offer quite a few different subs in either 4, 8 or 12 " sizes on a choice of breads that include white, wheat or Italian herb bread. When I go I usually get the 12" ( which is called a blunt, the 4" is called a nugs, and the 8" is a pinner ) La Canna on Italian herb. The sub comes with prosciutto, genoa salami, smoked ham, black olives and provolone cheese. Of course you can get different toppings on it too and if you want you can get a deal something like subway, with chips and a drink. For the 12" that I like, its about 8 bucks for the deal, but there is sooooo much meat on it, its totally worth it. They also offer desserts there but dont have the nerve to try the hemp brownies, course I dont like chocolate that much so it doesnt pay. They have a store in tucson, tempe and mesa arizona, and one in fort collins and boulder colorado, I strongly suggest that if youre near one to try it out, you wont be dissappointed.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/31 07:52:13 (permalink)
Etienne87,

Thank you. Sounds great, but I don't get that way much. Will look for it, next time.

Mike
ashd8516
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/04/05 11:21:56 (permalink)
quote:

To all,

Someone makes a great B.L.T., but I don't remember who it is, do you?

Mike

I'm a little late here but what is the point of that post? Some random place makes a BLT and out of all the places in the U.S. can you tell me which place it is?

I completely agree with C Turner Joy. You do seem to just post random things to bump up your posts. What's next? Something like "I once a ate a sandwich in 1984 that was really good. Any ideas what it was and where it as from?"
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/04/13 15:00:08 (permalink)
If you can find a Bellacino's, they do great oven-baked subs (or "grinders", as they call them). It's probably my favorite chain place to get a sub sandwich. Subway and Jimmy John's are okay. I like Schlotzsky's but I only ever get one thing there (smoked turkey with cheddar cheese.) I tried Penn Station once and it was pretty good but (hah) not diet friendly. Quizno's is overpriced for the quality. Next on the "to-try" list is Jersey Mike's...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1