What chain make a great take out sandwich ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
2007/01/08 10:27:00 (permalink)

What chain make a great take out sandwich ?

I have tried Jimmy Johns, or Jones, not sure, they were O.K. Are there others out there with a great sandwich, a national chain? Why are they great? What are they called?

Mike

59 Replies Related Threads

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 10:40:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Polish guy

I have tried Jimmy Johns, or Jones, not sure, they were O.K. Are there others out there with a great sandwich, a national chain? Why are they great? What are they called?

Mike

I think the subs from Penn Station East Coast subs are pretty good. I like that they grill the meat first, and then put it on the bread and put it through a toaster so both the bread and the meat are hot.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 10:42:25 (permalink)
    Jason's Deli. Found primarily in the South. Wonderful sandwiches and soups.
    www.jasonsdeli.com
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 13:10:37 (permalink)
    I actually LIKE Subway Sandwichs with the variaty of breads and toppings, I don't consider them a sub/hoagie just a decent sandwich. One place thats often overlooked is the Publix Deli, there are usually premade sandwichs in the case or they will make a sandwich to order
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 13:35:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

I actually LIKE Subway Sandwichs with the variaty of breads and toppings, I don't consider them a sub/hoagie just a decent sandwich. One place thats often overlooked is the Publix Deli, there are usually premade sandwichs in the case or they will make a sandwich to order

I love Publix Philly Cheese steak sandwiches even if they're not "genuine" and actually recreate them at home. First time I tried, the deli supplied me(free of charge) with the "butter oil" they use for the veggie saute and even weighed and seperated the provolone slices and the roast beef slices into 3rds for me. I was making 3 half footers. I bought thier sub rolls from the deli. I was set. They were darn good. The only technique I need to get down is getting the beautiful stacks of goodness onto the sub roll neatly.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 19:21:31 (permalink)
    To all,

The only one we have here is Subway, don't know the others. Any others that I may know?

Mike
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 20:35:23 (permalink)
    Arbys' BLT is good. There is chain in Houston, Antones', I don't know if they have gone national yet but they are pretty good. Crusty french bread, ham, salami and provolone with mayo and a pimiento relish. They travel really well because the bread does not get soggy very easily.

joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/08 20:46:47 (permalink)
    Is this thread about national or regional chains? I know of no national chain that is consistent with an overall quality product (nationwide).
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 00:39:54 (permalink)
    Well, last time you started another pointless thread, just like this one, I had something to say. So did four or five other people. You didn't care for it so you backed out and deleted it. I want to say it again. But I won't. I'll try something else instead.

Before I do, I've got a question. What are you doing? Are you pumping post count? You have nothing to say. You bump your own threads incessantly. Why?

I'm actually going to back off a little here. Way off.

Mike, hi. I love Indiana. I went to IU. I'm not from there. But Bloomington is wonderful. I've had the best Thai food ever in Indiana. Siam House on 4th Street. I live in San Francisco now, where nothing matches it.

I loved Vincennes. I went to the GR Clark Park and took the tour. That was so cool. The Wabash, just by the name alone, is heavy with history. Surely, there must be diners and roadfood there. I'd love it if you'd tell me about them. In detail, with some pictures.

Do you realize how small that battle was that Clark fought? The one where we took what was then the Northwest of this country? I think Clark had less than 200 men.

You've obviously got the time and energy to add something. Add something. Please. I respectfully ask that you stop flooding the airwaves with noise.

Post count and questions don't amount to much.

Sincerely.

La Spadas, in Fort Lauderdale, has some of the best subs I've ever tasted. It's mostly about the bread and the mayo. They are only a chain, with four stores, in the nominal sense.

I'm in Fort Worth right now. I was directed towards Great Outdoors (Worst name ever. I thought it was a sporting goods store.). Meat was good, bread was only okay. The mayor was there. The mayor of Ft. Worth, not the Mayor of Roadfood.

I did get to Hard 8 BBQ a few weeks back. It was no Salt Lick, but it was pretty good. If I get a camera I might just make a real post.

Mike, not trying to drag your bag. Just a little tired of what I've seen.

Like I said last time. Mods, if I'm out of line, shut me down. Posters, if I'm out of line, shout me down. I've just seen something that I have found to be unfun.

So it goes.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 10:05:43 (permalink)
    I second the recommendations of both Penn Station, which I just tried for the first time last month, and Jason's Deli, the only place in Greenville, SC where I can get a muffaletta or anything approaching one.

C. Turner Joy, I don't understand all the static. Are there some useless threads on this site? Of course. But nobody is forced to read them. Threads of value stick around, worthless ones sink to the bottom. At least Polish Guy isn't bombarding us with thread after thread touting the merits of seemingly everything that is, was, or ever will be on the Arby's menu, as a certain former poster once did.

Is Polish Guy pumping up his post count? Maybe, maybe not. But what does it matter? It's not as if we get cash and prizes for making Double Chili Cheeseburger. Or do we?
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 10:45:24 (permalink)
    C. Turner Joy,

I don't think this is pointless. If others did go along with you, they would not post. No one has to read or post, on anything I post.

Mike

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 11:15:36 (permalink)
    out here in ca I think the best for this boy who misses the east coast is BLIMPIES...unlike subway, they use real meat and the oil and vin dressing is v good as well!
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 11:17:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    To all,

The only one we have here is Subway, don't know the others. Any others that I may know?

Mike
    In Chicago, home of about a million Italian Beef sandwich places, there's that Italian place, L'appetito, Bob-O-Rino's, Captain Nemo's, the original Potbelly Sandwich Works (with a FREE JUKEBOX), and my personal favorite, largely, I admit, due to it's proximity to Baseball Heaven, Lucky's in Wrigleyville (http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/41301596/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc). I also heard that the Berghoff on Route 66 (eastbound) still sells its corned beef on rye sandwich and fried chicken, but doesn't run the bar anymore. There's also a place called Unbeatable Eatables that I want to check out.

Here in Wisconsin, there's a local chain that many swear by called Cousin's. They have one in Phoenix, but the rest are in SE Wisconsin, depending on how far south Green Bay is. They make, after all, the Official Sandwich of the Green Bay Packers. Myself, I like Subway for the fresh bread that's not shipped in from a baker. but hit Cousin's when they have a good promotion going. http://www.cousinssubs.com/

I've heard of a place called Ollie's L'Oven Works that takes your fixin's and wraps it in a sorta pizza crust and bakes the whole shebang, sort of like a pig and trough in a blanet. If I'm wrong on the name, or it's just a rumor I heard, let me know, please.
    tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 11:39:40 (permalink)
    Sub Station II makes a great sandwich. All ingredients are thinly sliced on a warm roll. They're mostly in the South but they had 2 stores in So Cal that were bought out but maintain the same subs. Here they're called Sub World. I think the secret is the oregano.
    http://www.substationii.com/
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 11:41:59 (permalink)
    I'vepreferred Sub Station II subs over Subway. They taste better plus they give you pickles with every sandwich.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 12:25:47 (permalink)
    Warning to all you fellow Milwaukee food lovers (including the gentleman who posts with that as a screen name). I'm told that Suburpia, my favorite place to treat a hangover in the seventies before I grew up, is reopening for the fourth or maybe fifth time. The overuse of even fine oils is not something I wish to encourage in any establishment.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 18:13:09 (permalink)
    Mich,

Tell us more, what overuse of oils?

Mike
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 19:54:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by C Turner Joy

Like I said last time. Mods, if I'm out of line, shut me down. Posters, if I'm out of line, shout me down. I've just seen something that I have found to be unfun.

Yes, I would be glad to take issue with your post! Your deleted post was way out of line and I, for one, am sick and tired of self-appointed arbiters dictating all aspects of our collective cultural taste. A little thing called the First Amendment (you might have heard of it) says Polish Guy can post whatever he likes within reason, and we are free to take it or leave it. As the previous posters have mentioned, you don't have to read it, and relief is only a mouse click away. "Unfun", by the way, is not a real word.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 20:08:05 (permalink)
    Big Ugly Mich-I am absolutely surprised that you think Cousins bread is premade.I was a baker at Cousins up to Nov.15th of 2006 and as far as I know, we all bake bread 2x per day.My husband is a truck driver and knows for a fact that Subways bread IS shipped in...fool me once,as the saying goes.And Suburpia is back-FANTASTIC!!!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 20:22:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

Big Ugly Mich-I am absolutely surprised that you think Cousins bread is premade.I was a baker at Cousins up to Nov.15th of 2006 and as far as I know, we all bake bread 2x per day.My husband is a truck driver and knows for a fact that Subways bread IS shipped in...fool me once,as the saying goes.And Suburpia is back-FANTASTIC!!!
    What "is" that smell when you walk into Subway??? I always though it was the bread? I still have a plan to submit my idea for "Subway Scented Plug-Ins" to S.C. Johnson so we can all enjoy that wonderful aroma at home! [|)][|)][|)]
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/09 23:28:20 (permalink)
    Grillmeister, if you are all in favor of free speech then why won't you defend mine? What I said was within reason. I didn't yell "fire' in the theater. All I did, along with a few others, was criticize a posting style. Yet, all of those dissenting posts, including mine, were deleted. So it's free speech as long as you like what is being said? Unless I offend you? Then it is okay to erase my words? Isn't that censorship defined?

That said, there are no constitutional rights here on Roadfood. As long as we are moderated there is a limit. It is less than our constitutional promise. I'm okay with that, if you are. I'm okay with that even if you aren't. You'll notice I never told Mike to stop posting. After my first bout of frustration induced rant I tried to put it another way. That was along the lines of "please stop bumping your own posts". That's considered bad netiquette just about everywhere.

Improviser says that "Threads of value stick around, worthless ones sink to the bottom." That's only true if they are left to die a natural death. How many times has the OP brought his back to life with... That was my main complaint. If you want, I'll go back and find the examples of what I was railing against. Most of these would have sunk to the bottom, I believe, if Mike hadn't kept kicking them back up.

Unfun isn't a word? You don't say. Thanks. My grasp of this language is tenuous. My punctuation is less than.

Every time I think I've learned not to argue on the Internet, I seem to forget. All apologies. This is my mistake. Most of the time I am very tolerant. For some reason this was plucking my last plucking nerve, for a couple of months. I love Roadfood. If I go Alt+r+Enter in my browser I get roadfood.com. I do it ten times a day, at least. On any given day I check the news, fark, and then either roadfood or my political blogs. I'm not casual. But I am wrong.

Mike, I really wasn't saying STFU. I was asking, in the wrong way, that while you're doing it, why not do it with substance. But you're right. As long as you keep floating them to the top people will keep adding to them, even if you're not. That's worth something. You have added to this site. Thank you.

To those of you that I have offended, I am sorry. I knew I would. But that wasn't my intent. I tried to make that clear. I missed again. Not looking for a fight. Consider me the guy in the bar that had to just walk away.

Walking away now. Hoping that no one throws a beer bottle at the back of my head. Really, I don't live under a bridge. I'm not looking to take away your rights. I'm just some guy that got frustrated with half of the front page being bumped constantly. My mistake.

C Turner Joy
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 02:30:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

What "is" that smell when you walk into Subway??? I always though it was the bread? I still have a plan to submit my idea for "Subway Scented Plug-Ins" to S.C. Johnson so we can all enjoy that wonderful aroma at home! [|)][|)][|)]

The bread smell at Subway is repulsive. It smells like a vat of burning chemicals. If I want to smell real bread baking, I stop by Freddy's Pizza down the street from my office in Cicero.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 04:16:11 (permalink)
    C Turner Joy~~

I saw nothing in your post that pertained to Roadfood.
    Where is the FOOD conversation?

Maybe it's time to STOP THE MADNESS!!
    {no beer bottles being thrown here!}
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 04:49:30 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    (offers all cyber beer or soda bottles to drink, not throw)
    I've enjoyed Blimpie subs and sandwiches and Wendy's is offering
    some sandwiches now. Their BLT's are good.
    Sheetz, also, offers some good choices. What I like about Sheetz
    is I feel I am constructing my own sandwich when I punch in my order.
    Long ago I liked Subway, but either my tastebuds changed or something,
    but they taste so bland to me now.
    We are richly peppered in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with so many
    small family-owned little gas stations or country stores that offer home-made take-out meals
    of sandwiches, bowls of chili or soups, etc. that I don't think of getting a sandwich
    from a chain very often.
    Take Care...and enjoy the cyber bottle of soda or beer

Fieldthistle
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 08:30:59 (permalink)
    The bread at Subway is parbaked-they just have to stick it in an oven to heat up...
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 16:36:39 (permalink)
    To all,

Someone makes a great B.L.T., but I don't remember who it is, do you?

Mike
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 16:49:05 (permalink)
    quote:

To all,

Mike

My Mom.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 17:55:10 (permalink)
    Field, I think my emails to you may have gone in your spam basket. Mine and Vic's were thought as spam by Buddy's mail deal. Oh, and wll Wendy's sell you jalapenos for their chili? Oh, I bet you could get their jalapeno cheese burger, a small chili, and make a jalapeno chili cheese burger.

Guy, I like your post, I wana know about any good sand witches. Is that a real word?

Yep, your lucky Neb, hard to find a good BLT!

CTJ, you would love Cajunking's thread, and mine, about Bay Corn! You can google lotsa stuf about "Bay Corn" if you want to learn more.
    Joe
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 18:05:57 (permalink)
    quote:

To all,

Mike

Actually, that was me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: What chain make a great take out sandwich ? 2007/01/10 18:37:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grillmeister

quote:
    Originally posted by C Turner Joy

Yes, I would be glad to take issue with your post! Your deleted post was way out of line and I, for one, am sick and tired of self-appointed arbiters dictating all aspects of our collective cultural taste. A little thing called the First Amendment (you might have heard of it) says Polish Guy can post whatever he likes within reason, and we are free to take it or leave it. As the previous posters have mentioned, you don't have to read it, and relief is only a mouse click away. "Unfun", by the way, is not a real word.

While this has absolutely nothing to do with the content of anyone's posts here, you should know that the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States does not give anyone a right to post anything here. This is a privately-owned forum, and the only people with a right to post here are the people who own this place. Everyone else posts here with permission of the owners.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1