What did you dislike about School?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6171
2013/11/03 12:03:04 (permalink)

What did you dislike about School?

Me, EVERYTHING, I hated everything about it, forget about learning discipline, my Father took good care of that. I hated most every course I ever took from Kindergarten thru College, they bored the hell out of me. I hated being told what to do constantly, to me most of it was pointless. I loved the social side, I loved being a Patrol Boy in Grade School. The Nuns scared the crap out of me, the Christian Brothers beat the crap out of me in High School, the Professors in College, Mt. ST. Mary's, here in Emmitsburg, were for the most part highly boring. I still dream that I'm in School and screwing something up. I could go on and on but, no point to. What did you like/ dislike about your School experience?

20 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6626
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 12:22:00 (permalink)
    I LOVED school!  From elementary to college at Westminster to La Varenne.  When I was a kid and came down with a cold and my parents decided that I'd better stay home.......I cried and cried!  I loved my teachers and all my friends. The best was La Varenne........where the professors used to ask me to translate the demo.   
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 12:53:11 (permalink)
    I detested everything about school except football, hockey and track. I wanted to learn what I wanted to learn, and I wanted to learn it my way. With the exception of Elizabeth Hogan, my English teacher in my junior year of high school, they wouldn't allow me to do it.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 15:30:51 (permalink)
    After the first three years, I became bored with it.  I'm better at teaching myself anyway.  Once I learned the rudiments (math, spelling, reading, writing), it was easier to assimilate information at my own pace.

I hated to get up early then, and 57 years later I still hate to get up early.

As far as the social interaction aspects of public education goes, when you feel that you're surrounded by idiots you just want out.

I would never recommend required public education for anyone.  If someone wants to go there, fine.  If they don't, leave them alone and let them make their way in the world as best they can.  Public education should be there for young people who WANT to be there, not because they HAVE to be there, or because their parents want them out of the house.  Anyone who does not measure up to the seriousness of attending an institution of learning should be booted out and asked never to return.  There is no place in our society for such people, and a public school is the very last place they need to be.

post edited by Louis - 2013/11/03 15:47:19
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 15:33:55 (permalink)
    Other than a few pompous and overly bearing teachers, the school experience was pretty good.  learned a lot of useless info.a few good ones.  Someday I may actually use Algebra to solve something. I loved it, excelled in it...but in 63 years, have yet to find a need for it. Had a lot of fun on the social scene. And every now and then when I come across someone on the street( and/or possibly elected to office) I say, "there but for the Grace of Gawd and 18 yrs of schooling (2 yrs MBA), go I ( I left out the pre-school years.not sure how many of those)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 15:47:56 (permalink)
    High school wasn't so bad. I had a pass to drive off the parking lot since I was in the school band and had to often"transport" equipment. So I'd load up the car at lunch with an amplifier, have some friends  bring their trombone or trumpets and I'd throw my bass in for good measure. Then we'd go to drop off some of the stuff, stopping on the way at Jack in the Box. 4 Jack tacos and a cheeseburger each and we were happy and ready to go back to school!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 15:57:07 (permalink)
    The only thing I hated was gym.  I flunked it one year.  Yep, a big F.  I would skip gym and go to the practice room and play the piano, or practice my vocals.  Bleeeeech.......gym.  Otherwise, I pretty much got all A's......except Geometry.  Who needs that?
    post edited by lleechef - 2013/11/03 16:06:06
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 16:00:45 (permalink)
    I loved some of the classes, but I hated school and everything about it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 16:10:10 (permalink)
    I had a music teacher in High School that taught my father before he went off to WWII.  Pretty special.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 17:03:29 (permalink)
    lleechef

The only thing I hated was gym.  I flunked it one year.  Yep, a big F.  I would skip gym and go to the practice room and play the piano, or practice my vocals.  Bleeeeech.......gym.  Otherwise, I pretty much got all A's......except Geometry.  Who needs that?

What's an A?

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2357
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 17:22:47 (permalink)
    The only thing I liked was when I was absent. The Nuns hated me and I hated them. I learned more in the pool hall than I ever learned in school. Tom, stop asking these questions. I thought I was over it, now I'll be back in therapy.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 18:51:09 (permalink)
    So far, I'm the only one that LOVED school.  My mother was one of the "lunch ladies".  When the snow got too deep my father would carry me to the bus stop.  I hated to stay at home! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 18:55:46 (permalink)
    pnwchef

The only thing I liked was when I was absent. The Nuns hated me and I hated them. I learned more in the pool hall than I ever learned in school. Tom, stop asking these questions. I thought I was over it, now I'll be back in therapy.

When I as at the Hillhouse you people hated I learned more at the pool hall on Church Street when I skipped school than I did in the classroom. I also learned more when I'd sneak into history classes at Yale when I was supposed to be in class at school.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 19:00:43 (permalink)
    I absolutely hated high school. My Dad was an edc psych professor and half my teachers had him a they were trying to get their advanced degrees( masters and doctorates- he was head of studies) Funny story-in my senior year I was flunking French( we could call in sick at 18) And I called in. Had plenty of credits to graduate. He asked if I would flunk high school-the answer was no. Dad said to my counselor-and I quote-"than why did you ****ing call me out of my college classes for this?"

call in "sick" at 18. 
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 19:34:30 (permalink)
    All of my years in school, from kindergarten through high school, were total misery for me. Back then I was an undersized and underweight scrawny thing with acute asthma and at every school I ever went to I managed to attract the attention of the resident bullies. I ended up playing involuntary punching bag for quite a few budding sociopaths over the years, and to make things worse a couple of my grade school teachers were child-hating incompetents who had no business in the teaching profession. In the '90s I spent several years in therapy trying to deal with traumatic school memories and to this day I still occasionally have problems dealing with those personal demons. As you might guess I've never been to any class reunions and there's not the slightest chance of that ever changing.
    post edited by carolina bob - 2013/11/03 19:36:19
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 19:50:42 (permalink)
    lleechef

So far, I'm the only one that LOVED school.

Nah, you're not the only one. I liked high school so well I went 4-1/2 years and college for 6 just for an undergraduate degree.  I even married a cheerleader.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 21:51:58 (permalink)
    lleechef

So far, I'm the only one that LOVED school.  My mother was one of the "lunch ladies".  When the snow got too deep my father would carry me to the bus stop.  I hated to stay at home! 

Oh no, read my post again. I had a blast!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/03 21:54:10 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Did you have a teacher by the name of Sister Mary Elephant?" />
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/04 00:49:33 (permalink)
    I loved school except for history. 

It was the other kids I didn't like.  I hated the cliques.

WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/04 07:49:57 (permalink)
    Overall I enjoyed school except for math.  And my grades in math would show that.  I did well in history but just hated it.  Which is funny because the older I get the more I love digging into history.

I'll also agree with Mar52.  The social aspects of Jr and Sr high were pretty shallow and I didn't care for that.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3988
    Re:What did you dislike about School? 2013/11/04 09:36:54 (permalink)
    Even though I was not the 'victim' of it I noticed a very disturbing trend begin in graduate school and my first years of college teaching:  professors not teaching their subjects.  Regardless of the advertised subject, classes in history, philosophy, English, sociology, etc. largely all became "my opinion about the Vietnam War, politics, and current events".  And as a sad result many degrees 'earned' by their students were actually fraudulent.

Since, the unfortunate victims of this fraud have become professors and teachers themselves and perpetuate it.  After nearly three generations of this sh*t we have English teachers with pidgin vocabulary and pidgin grammar, history teachers who don't know history, etc.  And the answer to our crumbling educational system?  Spend more money!  Only the "hard sciences" survive.  It is truly tragic.

When I was in 8th. grade my public school classroom had 44 well-behaved students, books, paper, pen, inkwell, and teachers who knew their subjects.  Learning "happened"; literally, there was nothing else to do.  I loved my education.  It was genuine.

That same class today would have 18 students each equipped with a Wi-Fi enabled smart phone, a taxpayer-provided Mac Book, and a teacher who had had far more training in pedagogy than course content.  With the distractions of video games, texting chatter, and Facebook how much focus on the lesson is being given? 

At least we're spending money.  It makes us feel good!  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1